Get rid of IC title and keep US Title

pkrebel

Occasional Pre-Show
Is there any need for 2 secondary titles in wwe?? they have already unified the 2 world titles so i think the next step is the unify the IC and US title but retire the IC Title.

Yes I know the IC Title has great prestige(or at least it did) but in terms of naming of the belt. I mean maybe i'm stupid or something but what's the difference in world and intercontinental, in geographical terms isn't intercontinental kind of another word for world? the US title is perfect. You'd have your World champion and then your second champion would be the US champion, the country where the company comes from.

Just my opinion i look forward to hearing yours :blush:

With the diversity of the roster and being a global brand the US Title seems very pointless and selfish.

The roster is still large enough to justify having two midcard titles. Unifying the two World Championships completely made sense now that the brand extension is over. The same can be said for the Divas Championship and Tag Team Championship. One overall roster needs one champion per tier. With the two midcard belts I view it differently. The Intercontinental Championship used to be legitimately the #2 belt, being held by potential future World Champions. It can still be used for that as a belt for the upper midcarders and former World Champions who need something to do. The US Championship can then be the true midcard belt. If you unify these two belts, the midcard title scene would get very crowded very quickly. Having two leaves more options.

you want to get rid of a belt because youd rather keep the US title cause were in the US? this is a global company and intercontinental represents that. im not agreeing with you but i do see your point. if they have to get rid of one, they both have a legit argument to keep this or that. but in my opinion id get rid of US title cause its not wwe made, ie example, they got rid of the world heavyweight title and kept the wwe championship. personally id have kept world heavyweight title cause it looks 10X more prestigious then a bland wwe title. but yeah cause of that reason i believe theyd get rid of US title. and the intercontinental title looks 10X more prestigious than the US title.

Why get rid of either of them? Not everyone on the roster can be main event status and they aren't, so it would be nice for the midcarders to have a chance at achieving something. When you have two midcard titles and that's what the US and IC titles are, you can have two separate feuds going at the same time for both of them.

This year with Lesnar as champ and not defending the WWE title, it was nice to see the other two elevated a bit.

I don't have a problem with either but they need to be pushed as meaningful. It was used as a step up the ladder to fight the champ but that doesn't exist anymore. The WWF had a U.S. Champ since the promotion was formed but evolved into the Intercontinental.
I too would have kept the world title instead of the WWE title because that belt held the link to the beginnings of the NWA, decades before the WWWF existed but historical things like that don't mean anything to Vince. The current WWE U.S. Championship is the same as the championship used in MACW.

In the grand scheme of things, having two mid-card titles doesn't bother me. A lot of promotions have more than one mid-card title, a few even have mid-card tag team titles.

As far as the difference between a World & Intercontinental Championship, an IC title generally refers to a championship with a sphere of influence spanning more than one continent, but not all of them. When you consider that WWE has several international tours throughout the year, there's technically a reason to have the IC title. However, if you measure the IC title's worth with pro wrestling being a legit sport, it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

If WWE ever decides to get rid of one, it'll almost certainly be the United States Championship because it's the title that was originally a WWE creation.

Over the past few months, there's finally been more emphasis placed on both mid-card titles. For the IC title, it's been fairing better over the past 6 or 7 weeks than it has since Wade Barrett vacated it and Rusev's done more and gotten more out of being US champion in 2 months than Dean Ambrose did in almost a year. At the same time, I think it's important to accept that the mid-card titles aren't gonna be treated on the same level as the World Championship, nor should they be. I'm not sure where this notion that all titles got the same level of treatment in the past came from, but that's not how it's ever been.

the only thing that concerns me about 5 titles is getting consistent title defenses on PPVs. In the past year the US title was defended only 4 times on PPV. Does anyone think that's enough for a title to remain relevant? Still, I'm hopeful as the roster continues to add depth that'll make sense to have these titles.

the only thing that concerns me about 5 titles is getting consistent title defenses on PPVs. In the past year the US title was defended only 4 times on PPV. Does anyone think that's enough for a title to remain relevant? Still, I'm hopeful as the roster continues to add depth that'll make sense to have these titles.

Not at all. Like Jack-Hammer said, I think WWE would get rid of the US title before they get rid of the IC title like they did in 2001 when they unified the US and IC Championships.

WWE doesn't book the IC and US divisions consistently, so it may be their best bet going forth just to have one mid card title so mid card would get the attention it deserves.

Since they have a monthly PPV then all belts should be defended that night, it's not very difficult. The problem is that the way it is set up the "entire" company doesn't matter, except for selling merchandise. You have whoever is involved in the world title angle and then the rest of the roster that is the undercard or filler.
It's hard to get on Vince and HHH about not defending the U.S. Belt when their world champ only defends his belt like every other PPV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back