Generation Gap?

Mustang Sally

Sells seashells by the seashore
Blood runs thin from generation to generation.

We’ve all heard this expression; the idea that children who follow in their parents footsteps often pale in comparison in degree of success or level of performance ……sometimes it’s a lack of drive or originality that causes junior’s failure to rise up to the standard of excellence attained by Dad. Sometimes it’s lack of physical or mental gifts keeping the offspring down, sometimes it’s simply that the climate/circumstances in which the son functions has changed from the days that the father enjoyed his prime.

There are tons of father-son combinations in pro wrestling. I’ve taken a few of the more prominent ones and tried to examine whom I thought enjoyed greater success. These are my opinions and I’d love to read yours. Disagreement is welcome. (I’ve picked only guys I’ve seen perform in the ring)

(NOTE: Of course, there are many daughters who chose the same professions as their mothers but I can’t think of any in pro wrestling. As far as mother-daughter combos in other areas, I think it’s understood that all women are successful in anything they do, so there’s no practical reason for comparison).

Dusty Rhodes/Cody Rhodes—Comparison is difficult because they are so amazingly different. Cody is a functional mid-carder who has been pushed like crazy. They’ve tried to force a personality onto him with numerous programs but he’s still pretty bland. Of course, his physique is vastly superior to his father’s. Dusty did it more with his mouth and brawling style in the ring. As head booker for parts of his career, he was able to cast himself as the hero of Bunkhouse Brawls and other gimmick matches that cemented his legend as a tough, cowboy-type, barroom brawler. His body was ridiculous but he moved around the ring better than you’d think he could. His promos were superior to Cody’s; I think he could still talk rings around his son. Even lip-reading, I can pick up his speech defect, but the guy could stir up interest with his mouth, in contrast to Cody.

(Yes, Dustin (Goldust) Runnels is Dusty’s son, too….but the character of Goldust defies description in comparison to anything Dad ever did. Goldust was an amusing gimmick that featured some damn good ring wrestling, which often got lost in the message. During the early part of his career as Goldust, WWE never identified him as the son of Dusty Rhodes…..and there sure as hell was good reason for that.)

Who is more successful?—I say Dusty, by a country mile. He was a hero to lots of people, especially in the South. Cody is a made-for-TV, average wrestler.

Bob Orton Jr/Randy Orton—No thinning of the legend here. Randy is twice the ring performer his father ever was: his body is harder, his moves more exciting, his ring psychology more pronounced and defined. Dad was a soft-bodied cowboy with no particular ring repertoire. For all that, Bob Jr. was still a better wrestler than his father, Bob Orton Sr., whom I saw a couple of times on a retro show on some local TV station. In this family, the grandson is the best of all of ‘em, proving that the bloodline sometimes gets stronger as generations pass.

Who is more successful?—I don’t recall Cowboy Bob winning any world titles. He spent more time in WWF as Roddy Piper’s flunky than a star in his own right. Randy wins……by a lot.

Bruno Sammartino/David Sammartino—Talk about trading on your father’s fame. Wikipedia lists David as 252 pounds, yet I remember seeing him fight for WCW in their cruiserweight division. Maybe he weighs 252 now, but he was closer to 190 back then. Adding to that, he was a terrible wrestler; underskilled, unenthusiastic and sloppy. He was a little guy who plainly ‘roided, which made me wonder how his straight-arrow Dad, the purist, felt about that. As for Bruno, even though he’s a stubborn ass today, he was the wrestler of the 1960’s and an all-time immortal.

Who is more successful?—The generation gap was never wider.

Ted DiBiase/Ted DiBiase Jr.—This is a more useful comparison. Senior was an excellent technician in the ring and a dominant presence outside it. His physique reminds me of The Miz; not a fat body, yet not a hardbody. He wasn’t fast or athletic, but he knew his way around the ring. Junior is an acceptable journeyman, a good example of blood thinning over a generation. He looks good while standing still, yet doesn’t do anything exceptionally well in the ring. They’ve tried him as a face and a heel but he hasn’t carved out a niche for himself, at least yet.

Who is more successful?—Senior by miles. True, he did it largely with his mouth, but he helped other guys get over by stirring up controversy around them. Where would Irwin R. Schyster have been without him? Some might still be predicting success for Junior in the future, but I don’t see it.

Rocky Johnson/Duane (The Rock) Johnson—Rocky was a well-built midcarder with skills I find hard to remember. Did he win championships or accomplish anything noteworthy? I’d have to look it up to find out; which is kind of the point. I recall seeing him pin Butch Reed in a match held in Canada in the 80’s; there was nothing special about it, yet certainly nothing wrong with it. In the ring, he might have been more fundamentally sound than his son, but that’s because Rock did it more with flash and dash than technical wrestling. You could write volumes about how exciting Son was in action; his legend is secure. Rock’s ring repertoire was lightning-fast, yet I always wondered how he’d fare in a shoot match.

Who is more successful?—I won’t insult Rocky Sr. by saying it out loud.

Jerry Lawler/Brian Christopher—I liked the son’s physique better…..and that’s all. Dad was enormously successful in the South because of his combination of hard work and ability on the mic. I saw him on USWA telecasts, stirring up more trouble with his mouth than anyone around at that time. He didn’t yell because he didn’t have to. Although never particularly well-built, he seemed like the perfect type to have at your back in a dark alley....a true tough guy. Brian could have amounted to much more if not for his damn substance abuse. At his best, he could move around the ring pretty well, and he executed high-flying maneuvers with much more skill than his father ever could. Still, Jerry built a legendary career on grind-it-out wrestling while Brian ruined his all by himself through chemistry.

Who is more successful?—Like the Sammartinos’, here’s another good example of a son who should have picked a line of work different from his father’s. Or stayed clean.

Davey Boy Smith/Harry Smith—Harry was suspended for steroid use? That’s a shame, since the juice apparently didn’t work. What would he have looked like without the chemicals? The Pillsbury Doughboy? He was also totally boring in the ring despite the fact we wanted him to make it big. He seemed to be trying but couldn’t generate heat, even as a bad guy. His first-cousin Nattie seemed to be tougher. His father was a different story, although steroids made a big difference in his case (a fatal difference, ultimately), but he knew how to wrestle and always seemed to be involved in exciting contests. The British Bulldog’s best days came during his pairing with The Dynamite Kid (now, there was a wrestler). To me, they were one of the immortal tag teams, the kind we could use more of today. Compared to his son, Bulldog featured as a true workhorse, really giving all for his profession while Harry had the size, but not the look (or apparent makeup) of a tough-guy wrestler.

Who is more successful?—Bulldog by any measure. Both father and son won tag team championships, but Davey Boy’s were won during an era that tag teams were far more highly regarded than Harry’s. Yes, that’s not Harry’s fault, but you have to wonder if Harry’s team would have won them at all in a tougher era for tag teams. Meanwhile, anyone who wants to argue that son stirred up more fame and excitement than father will have to have some pretty compelling arguments.

I think it's too soon to judge some of these. Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase Jr. are still young and hopefully, have plenty of time ahead of them.

VERY few wrestlers have measured up to Bruno's legacy, but his son having to live up to the Sammartino name was a curse. Back in the territory days, promoters only booked David for one reason: they were hoping that if they used him, they could get Bruno to work a card down the road. Yes, David did use steroids and his father did not like it. I can't comment on David's wrestling because I only saw him once, in his WrestleMania 1 match against Brutus Beefcake, and it's been so long that I can't remember much of it.

Much like Bruno, Jerry Lawler was God as far as Memphis wrestling goes and was a tough act to follow. Brian did OK as Grand Master Sexay (Too Cool was a successful tag team in the WWF), but you're right, drugs killed his career.

Rocky Johnson's big claim to fame in the WWF was winning the tag team titles with Tony Atlas around 1982 and was out of the company by the time WrestleMania 1 took place. His son was a 9-time world champion and "the most electrifying man in all of sports entertainment". No comparison.

In general I'm on board with your analysis, but I think you criminally underrate Bob Orton, Jr.

Please remember that his time at the top was a time when guys didn't win titles the way they do now. I'd probably still give it to Randy, but it's not the blow out that you made it sound like.

Dusty Rhodes/Cody Rhodes

I agree with you that Dusty Rhodes had a more successful career than his son Cody currently has. While I've never seen him perform in the 80's Boom, I'm well-aware of his credentials, most notably his feud with the Four Horsemen. And while Cody has more potential than Dusty, his build just doesn't scream World Champion either.

Bob Orton Jr./Randy Orton

I also agree with you that Randy Orton has surpassed his father Bob Jr. by a mile. While I've also never seen Bob Jr. perform in the 80's Boom, I'm also aware of his past, most notably being Ted DiBiase's lackey (correct me if I'm wrong) and for constantly using a cast as a weapon (again, correct me), but those are all that he'll be known for. Randy, on the other hand, has won nine world titles in his career, and his career is far from over (unless he hits Strike Three and gets fired), but he wasn't just able to get to the top of the mountain without his surname, Triple H and Ric Flair.

Ted DiBiase/Ted DiBiase Jr.

Again, no arguments here that Ted DiBiase had a more successful run than his son Ted Jr. He introduced the Million Dollar Championship and made it desirable to other superstars - nuff said. Ted Jr., on the other hand, became the Marty Jannetty of Randy Orton's Legacy and became a rip-off of his father's gimmick.

Rocky Johnson/Dwayne Johnson

Yes, Dwayne Johnson has surpassed his father Rocky, and their gap couldn't have been farther. Rocky Sr. may be the First African-American to win the World Tag Team Championships with Tony Atlas, but he never became World Champion. However, Rocky Jr.'s a Seven-Time WWE Champion, and rumors are, he's in line to get his Eighth WWE Championship Run - despite only wrestling part-time.

Jerry Lawler/Brian Lawler

Wow, five agreements so far: Jerry Lawler could boast more championships and accomplishments than his son Brian will ever receive. Jerry may not have won the WWE Championship, but he's gained far more success outside the WWE, boasting a legendary 168 championships. As for Brian, he'll ironically be remembered as probably the forgotten member of Too Cool.

Davey Boy Smith/Harry Smith

Davey Boy Smith will always be better than his son Harry, thus completing the agreements. Although being a Two-Time World Tag Team Champion, his biggest accomplishment was defeating his brother-in-law Bret Hart and winning the Intercontinental Championship at Summerslam, which later led to him forming the Hart Foundation with Bret. Sadly, all Harry can say is that he won one WWE Tag Team Championship during his time in the WWE.

I noticed that I completely forgot to comment on Bruno Sammartino/David Sammartino, but I don't have time for that right now. I'll just post my comments on them later within the day as I have to get back to work. :p

By the way, Mustang Sally, I... :blush: I... :blush:

I noticed that I completely forgot to comment on Bruno Sammartino/David Sammartino, but I don't have time for that right now. I'll just post my comments on them later within the day as I have to get back to work. :p

I'm back. As promised, here are my comments on Bruno Sammartino/David Sammartino.

I've never seen them perform, but I know Bruno currently has the longest WWE Championship Reign, spanning for over 11 years. As for his son David, I didn't even know he existed, let alone followed in his fatehr's footsteps, which say it all. Therefore, Bruno DID have a much more successful career than David had.

I agree with all these. There are also many examples of this in other sports such as MJ and his kids. Sometimes the pressure is just too much for a kid to live up to his fathers expectations. One other that would however contradict what usually happens is Jake the Snake becoming better than his dad(whose name escapes me).

I agree 100% on all of mustangs comments but i do hope that Cody will be around long enough to build himself a nice legacy that MIGHT come close to his dads.

Dont forget Dusty has been in the industry for donkeys years and Cody is still early into his wrestling career.

Oh and i'll throw a father/son combo out there,

RIC FLAIR/DAVID FLAIR

David had his five minutes of fame in WCW where if my memory is right he held the hardcore title? once WCW folded he wasn't heard from again.

his dad im not even gonna mention cos if you dont know what Ric Flair did during his career you should not be on this site.

WINNER: RIC FLAIR

One other that would however contradict what usually happens is Jake the Snake becoming better than his dad(whose name escapes me).

Yes, that was Aurelian (Grizzly) Smith. I didn't include him in the post because I never saw him wrestle.

Same goes for Randy Savage's father, Angelo Poffo. Heard he was a jobber for WWWF but not only did I never see him perform, I've never even seen a picture of him. If Angelo was ever big, it had to have been a long, long time ago.

Then, there was Peter Maivia, father-in-law of Rocky Johnson and grandfather to The Rock. Heard he was big in 70's in WWF.

What about Garrett and Eric Bischoff? ;)

Other than the physical aspects of strength and size, I don't think something like wrestling/entertainment are necessarily hereditary or genetically driven. I believe the ability to entertain comes from personal experiences that stem from childhood. And this is also just guessing but I suspect that most successful wrestlers had much different childhoods than their offspring.

I look at guys like the Dibiases and I see a father who may have had a tough life and had to really prove himself and become a character to get attention versus a young good looking kid with a recognizable name and plenty of money and support behind him to get whatever he wanted without having to learn anything. Maybe I am wrong and apologize if I am but the point is made - scientists haven't found the "professional wrestler" gene because it probably doesn't exist.

I agree with all of these. Another one would be Larry (The Ax) Hennig and Curt Hennig. I don't know much about the father in this one. Anyone else have any input? The pressure on the kids in these situations has to be tough to deal with. I couldn't imagine going into a work environment knowing my dad was Hulk Hogan or any of the said wrestlers, and have to live up to expectations like that.

Nice topic. There are cases to be made for each example you gave for the gaps;

Dusty/Cody Rhodes:
Although I was never a huge Dusty Rhodes fan, I did appreciate his contributions to wrestling and understood his unique look and gimmick. Dusty was no doubt a big name during the 80s and well into the 90s. If we are talking about sheer ability in-ring, Cody is definetely more talented than Dusty ever was. However, Dusty definetely had the better mic work and was able to get over more than Cody has thus far. The big difference between Cody & Dusty is that Dusty was given numerous opportunities and consistent booking, to which Cody has not gotten. Cody has had a few memorable moments, but nothing vaguely resembling a consistent shot at becoming more. WWE has failed in every conceiveable area with Cody and the only thing between Cody and superstardom is that one chance to prove himself in the main events. Once Cody is given the ball, I believe he can run with it and become a huge breakout main eventer.

Cowboy Bob Orton/Randy Orton:
What can be said here that hasn't already been mentioned? Randy is far better in the ring and on the mic than Cowboy Bob ever was. Cowboy was always a great talker and decent in-ring competitor but nothing even close to what Randy has accomplished. In this instance, the generation gap is in the son's favor. Although Cowboy was just as good as Randy in getting heat from audiences.

Ted DiBiase-Million Dollar Man/ Ted Jr.:
It's exactly the opposite here with Million Dollar Man and his son. The Million Dollar Man was a great arrogant heel who could both talk and wrestle. Ted Jr is decent enough in the ring but awful as a character. He doesn't come close to having anything resembling good mic skills. He's as boring as a block of wood, although the wood has a good excuse. Ted Jr also cannot connect with audiences, which his father excelled at.

Rocky Johnson/The Rock:
Again, the generation gap is definetely with the younger of the two. Rocky Johnson was never anything above average and his work was mediocre at best. The Rock, however, is one of the best all-time performers to ever step foot in a ring.

Jerry Lawler/Brian Christopher:
The King is definetely the best here. Lawler had timing and psychology, which kind of made up for his underwhelming look and size[or lack thereof]. Brian Christopher was a decent worker in ring and passable on the mic. I always thought that Christopher failed to find the right niche to really measure up to his father. He didn't get much opportunity, aside from his time as WWF Lightheavyweight Champ and in the tag division with Scotty 2 Hotty and 2 Cool. Brian was capable of so much more and it's a real shame his problems held him back.

British Bulldog/DH Smith:
Harry was just as impressive as a physical specimen as his father. Both were comparable in lack of charisma and mediocre ring work. Although Davey Boy had alot more cred just by being a great tag worker and good singles guy.

I cannot comment on Larry The Ax being compared to Mr. Perfect because I never saw the older Hennig in action. Although I did see footage of Larry and it didn't seem like he really stood out like Curt did. Curt had the look, the gimmick, and everything that a star wishes they could have. Why WWF never made him their champion is beyond all comprehension. Whenever you compare wrestling generations in the sport, you also have to account for different eras and different styles. The older generation were mainly old school and couldn't do certain things like the new guys because of simply being in different times. By the same token, those old school vets did alot that the younger gen guys couldn't hope to have done. You also have other wrestling generational families like the Guerreros but again, I cannot comment because I only really got to see mostly Eddie & Chavo. It is fun to compare these guys and notice the little differences with their respective times and work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back