Gary Sheffield was released today

Sheffield a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

• Borderline, and one year of moderate success would push him over the hump.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BooCocky

On A Nature walk with Daniel Bryan
So my question is, if he was forced to retire would he be a hall of famer? He is one homer shy of 500. He also has 2615 hits and 1633 RBI's. He is a nine time all star and is a holder of the ever cherished WS ring. So is he a HOF'er?

I am torn, he was one hell of a hitter. could hit for power and average. But his 499 homeruns in the Steroid era just isn't enough. He is one of few players to hit 25 homeruns with six different teams. Everywhere he went minus Detroit he produced. But i have never really seen him as a dominant hitter. He wasn't as good as Thomas, Griffey, A-Rod, or Barry Bonds. But who knows? I am torn and will say later.

I'm split here as well. For one thing, I don't think his career is over yet. If he takes a pay cut, there are certainly teams out there that would use him as a DH. From what I understand the Phillies are interested in him. I'd think for a pay cut he would go after a chance at another ring. That's another thing: I've never bought into the idea of needing a ring to be considered great. What it could mean is that you're a great player playing on a bad team. In baseball, one player can't carry a team, but that's a different argument for later.

Is Sheffield a HOFer? I'd say no. He's certainly a hell of a ball player and I'd like to see him in Cleveland, but I just don't think he's up there. Being a journeyman doesn't mean he's bad. I don't care where he got his numbers but if he got them fairly. I don't remember him ever being accused of steroids, but like Becker said I don't think 499, which I firmly believe will be 500, is enough in this era. He has at least a year left, maybe more. Put him as a DH and he'll definitely get a job somewhere, meaning more addded onto his stats. Right now no, but there's more to his career still to come.

I don't think Sheffield is a Hall of Famer. This day in age, I don't think the 500 homerun mark is a measuring stick anymore as it has become easier and easier to reach. He may have had the World Series, but for some reason when his name comes up I just don't see him as a Hall of Famer.

Also, there was that whole issue with him saying the Joe Torre was racist. I'm sure some guys in the media will resent that and may not vote for him just because of his personal issues.

I think he is. His numbers are great, but what most people seem to be forgetting, or omitting, is that he hasn't always been a power hitter. He started his career as a fleet-footed shortstop in Milwaukee. His numbers are fine anyway, and are better than what most hitters are going to do over the enxt 10-15 years as well.

His defense has taken a step back, but he still has the golden arm, and is still useful on some teams. I had heard Philadelphia is looking to sign him as early as next weekend. Since he's still playing, I'm leaving him at borderline.

A good season makes him a lock, but a horrible season (.230/12/40) may hurt his chances.

Assuming you throw steroids out the window yes he is a Hall of Famer. In his prime he is one of the most complete right handed hitters of all time and complete hitters of this generation. To put it in perspective if you throw out his last 3 injury plagued seasons he has a career 165.92OPS+. Only 2 right handed hitters in the history of the game have a higher one and that's Roger Hornsby and Albert Pujols and only Pujols out of all active players are higher than that. That stat is the most telling stat too when measuring a hitter. For those that don't know OPS is your onbase percentage+Slugging so basically it measures all phases of hitting. It factors in everything from your power to your eye at the plate. OPS+ is how much better your OPS is vs. the average OPS of that year. For example an OPS+ of a 100 means you were right on par with every other hitter that season, an OPS+ of a 120 or 130 is considered really good an OPS+ of over 150 is remarkable. On top of his great sabermatic stats like that he is also going to hit the magical 500HR number. With that said if you're somebody that doesn't vote for steroid users than he shouldnt get it but if you don't factor that into the equation his numbers and performance are clearly good enough for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back