Games With Gold

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Has anyone been taking part in this incentive? Personally, I've been absolutely loving the value it has been adding to my Xbox One. The One was an expensive piece of kit but with free games coming may way for the last number of mo the, it feels as though I am being rewarded for biting the bullet and paying top dollar for the console.

So far, I've played Worms Battlegrounds, #IDARB and Halo for free. All three of the games were retailing around £20-£30 each and to get them for free has been a rare treat; especially Worms which was a great legacy from my childhood.

It now looks as though Rayman Legends is going to be the update for March 2015; another chance to relive my childhood on what promises to be a worthwhile platformer.

I have also read that Xbox will be offering two free games in April to celebrate the success of the incentive, so that should be awesome too. That means that 360 owners will be getting 6, that's right 6, free games in April and One users will be getting 2 free games. Honestly, that's just groovy in my book.

PSN has been doing the same thing for a few years now. I've had a PS3 for about a year now and I've only bought 4 games for it. My entire library was from PSN. Good games too like Bioshock Infinite, Sly Cooper, Fez, Arkham Asylum, NBA 2k14, Payday 2. Kept me busy. I also got Infamous First Light and Injustice Gods Among us for my PS4 the last few months.

I really like that both companies do it now, it makes me feel not as bad for spending money to play a game online when you get incentives. I'm a cheap bastard so it helps.

Yeah, I still have my old 360 and have been toying with the idea of getting it hooked up again and downloading some of the games they are offering on that platform as opposed to the One. Personally, I think they should be doing a little bit more on the newer platform if they are going to be running with this incentive, too. Worms Battlegrounds, IDARB and Reyman are awesome, so I'm thankful for getting those with my Live Subscription.

Still, when you consider that the older platform is getting games like Assassin's Creed, Bioshock and Tomb Raider, it kind of makes me upset that people who bought the new console are getting (lets face it) high end arcade games. I really am dying to get to grips with a game that really makes the most of the new console and Microsoft don't seem to want to agree.

I must say that Sony have been a bit more generous with their titles.

So, since the last update in this thread, a few more games have been made available on the Games With Gold basis. And with that in mind, I think I am going to go ahead and rate them with a star basis from now. I'll also go ahead and try to do them retrospectively too, I guess.

So lets start with the games that I have already played.

Halo: Spartan Assault - 5/10
Worms Battlegrounds - 7/10
#IDARB - 3/10
Rayman Legends - 7/10
Pool Nation: FX - 3/10
Child of Light - 5/10

I know that I have missed the most recent offerings from GWG in Massive Chalice and Castlestorm but, for me, they looked like garbage. They are not games that I would usually play so I decided to give them a miss this time. And frankly, it annoyed me that Microsoft were continuing to give us, what I would call, arcade games when currently offering full titles to 360 users. I've said it before but if they really want to reward people for NOT taking their new console offering then maybe I'll consider that the next time they bring out a new consoles.

With that said, it looks as though they are actually going us a decent title next month. Assassin's Creed: Blag Flag is the title for July and I am really looking forward to it actually. Black Flag was the last title I purchased for my 360 before retiring the old girl. But I am especially looking forward to seeing the differences between the 360 and the Xbox One. Not to mention that Assassin's Creed is my favourite game series around at the moment. And yes, Black Flag came with its shares of gripes from yours truly. But that should keep my interest until I get Arkham Knight...

I only hope that this is the start of Microsoft actually rewarding it's One users accordingly. The system has been live for a decent enough amount of time for then to release a full title every month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back