Games in other languages

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Have you ever played a video game in another language? Sometimes that option is out there. It can be interesting to see what characters, items, abilities, and places are called in other languages. The manuals that come with most Wii games will offer instructions in Spanish or French alongside English. Some games offer foreign subtitles while others even let you change it to foriegn voice overs and completely foreign text.

I once came across a Japanese guide to Mario Kart 64 at a Game Stop many years ago. It had been shipped to them by accident or something. The guy let me buy it for a pretty cheap price. I have also played through ROMs online of old SNES or NES games translated into other languages. Final Fantasy 4 in Spanish was interesting. I also managed to complete a full play through of Final Fantasy 6 in Japanese. Having memorized where things were located on menus came in handy. What I really want to try is a game in Swedish because I speak it fluently and would really enjoy seeing how different everything is but still being able to understand the text without relying on memorization of the English version. To play any game in Swedish would be an awesome experience for someone like me.

So have you ever played any games in a foreign language? If not, would you like to, just to see what it would be like? Why or why not?

Any specific languages you would like to play a game in? Why or why not?

Discuss!

There have been several JRPG's where you can choose the language. Star Ocean: Til the end of time and I THINK Grandia 3 (Not 100%). These games, when the choice is there, I ALWAYS choose Japanese with English subtitles - why? Because it's the native and it's how it's MEANT to sound. The english voice overs almost always suck horribly, so Japanese is the way to go with these in my mind.

often the french only games are much cheaper in Ontario, canada so i will on occasion pick them up.. and when i am done playing with them i will switch the covers to the english side (bilingual laws means regardless of it being a french game for quebec it still has to have an english cover.) and then i pawn the damn thing without telling them it's francais.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back