• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

G1 26 Participants and Blocks

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
Block A:
Togi Makabe
Satoshi Kojima
Tomohiro Ishii
Hirooki Goto
Bad Luck Fale
Tama Tonga
Sanada
Naomichi Marufuji - NOAH (GHC Tag Team Champ)
Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champ)
Hiroshi Tanahashi

Block B:
Katsuyori Shibata (NEVER Openweight Champ)
Yuji Nagata
Tomoaki Honma
Michael Elgin (IWGP Intercontinental Champ)
Toru Yano (GHC Tag Team Champ)
Tetsuya Naito
King of Darkness Evil
Kenny Omega
Katsuhiko Nakajima - NOAH
YOSHI-HASHI

This looks to be a decent G1 there are only 2 of the Third Gen guys left, with Tenzan not in it this year

There is going to be some fun matches this year. Block A has the SANADA, Tama Tonga and Marufugi factor in terms of there being matches that haven't come about before so there is that interest. Fale, Okada and Tanahashi all have good matches against each other. Tama Tonga can hopefully have a good to great G1.

Block B is going to be Insane. Shibata Vs ElG1n, ElG1n vs Evil, ElG1n Vs Naito, Naito Vs Omega, Tacos vs pretty much everyone. This should be Tacos big arrival with a moment at Korakuen Hall.

No Yujiro, No Tenzan, No Gallows means that there is a good lack of dead weight that they had last year, even though Tenzan did cause one of the most brutal things I saw in the ring last year with that brutal headbutt on YTR that busted him clean open where there was still a bit of a bloodstain on the mat later on in the G1. The only Problem with no Takahashi is no Mao, but he hasn't had Mao or another girl come out with him in a while.

Good to see Marafuji in it, always love watching his matches even though he is the definition of IM GOING TO DO MOVEZ.

Naito needs the win, even though I hate his smug thai ladyboy face.

Nakajima is an amazingly talented wrestler and I'm incredibly happy to see him in G1. I hope he gains a ton of fans and puts on some great matches.

I love the unexpected additions of Nakajima and Marufuji, and the unexpected absences of Yujiro and Tenzan, and I'm stoked about a ton of the B Block matchups.

My biggest complaint: Fale, Tonga, and Kojima all being in the A Block is destined to drag down the overall quality of the A Block nights of the tourney, just as last year's Block set-ups doomed many nights of Block A action. No complaints about Block B, aside from the fact that if they were gonna throw a lot of wasted matchups into Block A, they might as well have planted Yano's antics into that Block as he is sure to have the least watchable match on every Block B event.

Its still strange to think of this year's G1 happening without the presences of Nakamura and Karl Anderson though, both guys could be counted on for solid G1 outings every year(even if Shinsuke did tend to coast a little at times).

Also congrats to Tonga and YOSHI-HASHI for finally securing spots in the G1 after years of hard work with the company- well deserved for both.

Yay we get to see Ishii vs. Makabe for the billionth time.

Really looking forward to Omega vs. Naito, that has show stealer written all over it. Also pretty excited to see the NOAH guys work in a big(ger) show setting, haven't kept up with that promotion much since TMDK left.

My biggest complaint: Fale, Tonga, and Kojima all being in the A Block is destined to drag down the overall quality of the A Block nights of the tourney, just as last year's Block set-ups doomed many nights of Block A action. No complaints about Block B, aside from the fact that if they were gonna throw a lot of wasted matchups into Block A, they might as well have planted Yano's antics into that Block as he is sure to have the least watchable match on every Block B event.

Tama Tonga is better than that Tag Title run he has had with his brother, Fale Vs Okada and Fale Vs Tanahashi is going to be good, and Makabe and Fale, as well as Ishii and Fale should be a good as well. Kojima still puts out good matches as well.

How is Tanahashi's back? Still fucked? Could affect the quality of his matches if he can only go 50%.

Also disappointed with no Minoru Suzuki. He's not getting any younger, and it would be good to see him in another G-1.

How is Tanahashi's back? Still fucked? Could affect the quality of his matches if he can only go 50%.

Also disappointed with no Minoru Suzuki. He's not getting any younger, and it would be good to see him in another G-1.

From what I understand Tanahashi was taken off of the Dominion card and the later part of the BoSJ cards to hopefully heal him up for the G1, but they essentially put him in and will take him out later if needed. If he is still bad just before the G1 they can remove him and replace him with someone else.

So I have to deal with Tenzan and I no longer can yell "Ichi bakayaro" during G1 Climax since Kojima's out. Well this just sucks. :(

So I just finished the 7/3 Kizuna Road event, and I thought that the angle with Kojima giving up his spot to Tenzan was done well, but like others I'm a little disappointed in the decision. While I wasn't terribly excited about Kojima's chances to thrive through the G1 grind this year, I'm even less optimistic for his best bud.

I will say that the Block does set up to give Tenzan some chances to have some vintage throwback performances, and with the storyline playing out to give him what looks to be his G1 farewell I expect him to be extremely motivated, so I'll withhold judgement until I see how he performs.

Still this does nothing to help the quality of Block A, I never trust anyone outside of Tanahashi or Okada to get above average matches out of Fale, and given how Tanahashi will have to protect himself through the tour, even that match isn't a safe bet to be high level. And while I'm glad to not see Tama Tonga being dragged down by his brother on these shows, I still have only been truly impressed by his work in multi-man tags and have yet to see anything that makes me buy him as a legit singles guy. Add in Tenzan now in Kojima's spot and Block A has added even more potentially unimpressive matchups.

So, I'm a bit behind in my puro watching and just finished Day 1. Gonna go ahead and say I was dead wrong in doubting Tenzan. The man pulled off an amazing match on Night 1 against Ishii and I hope he keeps it up. Also, Sanada vs Tanahashi and Okada vs Marufuji were both great matches in my opinion.

Since you guys are behind I can't spoil anything, though I can say that Toru Yano Vs Tetsuya Naito is everything you could ever want out of it.

Shibata Vs Naito is one of the most brutal matches I have seen, so damned good to watch though. Also the first match of the night of Taguchi Vs Finlay Jnr is a really good one that people should go and see.

Saw the first night. Pretty average. Marofuji vs Okada was fantastic though. Hopefully they have a PPV match. Also, the golden boy and Champion lost to a free agent and the top star of the other promotion. That's crazy.

So since this is relatively the halfway point, I figured I'd recap my thoughts so far:

Dislcaimer: Due to time, I only watch the tourney matches each night; therefore, I have no clue how the undercards have looked.

While Night One was a really good show, the tourney seemed to hit a bit of a holding pattern after. Nights 2-5 featured some solid action sprinkled in and a couple of very good matches, but no shows on the level that you expect this tourney to produce. That has changed in a bit of a big way the more recent nights though, as the B Block has perfectly nailed down their last two shows, with Night 6 rivaling the opening night as the tourney's top show to that point, only to have Night 8(today) easily surpass both.

This morning's(for us in the western hemisphere crowd) show was nothing short of outstanding and one of the best wrestling shows this year. Yano/Honma was harmless, and then YOSHI-HASHI/EVIL and Nagata/Nakajima were both great. The double main event capped it with arguably the two best matches so far in the tourney(I wasn't as high on Night One's double main event as some others). I loved Shibata/Naito and Elgin and Omega had, in my opinion, the only serious match of the year contender so far on the entire tour.

As I expected the B Block has shined, and really found their footing to another degree in their last couple chances. Almost everyone in the Block has more than brought it consistently, with YOSHI-HASHI being the huge surprise breakout guy this year, with Yano hitting the right notes thankfully thus far, doing more to add flavor than really taking anything away from the cards, and with Elgin continuing to show that he is uniquely built for the G1. I'm in love with Block B.

Block A, well it has sadly also lived up to my dubious expectations. Ishii, Marufuji, to a degree SANADA (and with a lot of heart, Tenzan, as the appreciative crowds are lighting the path), are the only guys in the block who have been showing up to do their part in having great matches each night. Tonga has been a massive disappointment and the tourney's biggest downside so far, while guys like Okada, Goto, and Makabe(who's been booked oddly strong) have all been irritatingly coasting through the early portion of the tour.

I don't have a lot of hope that Block A is going to get their act together, but I have faith in the B Block to keep hitting homerun shows despite starting to look like a mash unit from the shared beatings they have delivered each other.

One more thing... Marufuji's chops have been the absolute best thing about the A Block thus far, he is shredding chests to pieces and its brutal and beautiful. I still don't know how he gets the sound that he gets on almost every single chop. Kudos to the bloody chested warriors eating that punishment.

Block A, well it has sadly also lived up to my dubious expectations. Ishii, Marufuji, to a degree SANADA (and with a lot of heart, Tenzan, as the appreciative crowds are lighting the path), are the only guys in the block who have been showing up to do their part in having great matches each night. Tonga has been a massive disappointment and the tourney's biggest downside so far, while guys like Okada, Goto, and Makabe(who's been booked oddly strong) have all been irritatingly coasting through the early portion of the tour.

Makabe is the most popular wrestler in New Japan, without any question, he has his 8 points, he may get one more win but that is about it

Add Night 9 to the growing list of Block A disappointments. In fact it was the worst show yet on the tour, and perhaps the most lackluster night of G1 action I have ever seen. Aside for the early brutal strike exchanges in the Makabe/Marufuji bout, the night offered nothing that wasn't 100% mailed in, which has been the theme for the block with the IWGP champ heading the cause, as Okada's matches have been beyond bland until the closing stretch on almost every night of the tourney.

I think someone forgot to tell these guys this is the G1 and not a bunch of "road to" shows leading up to a B+ pay-per-view. Its really getting tough to watch, and I'm not sure how many more of the Block A nights I can sit through.

I'll give Tenzan credit for giving everything he has, and keeping the fans invested in his matches at least. Its a shame they haven't booked him stronger thus far.

I haven't gotten a chance to catch this morning's Night 13 show, and if I'm to trust the reports I'm gonna need to be strapped in for ridiculous action(including what most who have seen it are calling 2016's match of the year in the entire wrestling world). So before I dive in for that, I wanted to catch up my thoughts for the last three shows...

Night 10 was the weakest night for the B Block yet. Nakajima/YOSHI-HASHI delivered big time with the opener, but it seemed everything else, although much of it solid action that was worth a watch, was just there for the most part; reminiscent of most of the early A Block cards.

Night 11 got things on track in a big way for the A Block, delivering the best night of action since Day One for that group. Everything was pretty solid, and Tanahashi/Ishii brought it with my favorite Block A match of the tournament up to that point. Ishii has been the star of the Block, and arguably the whole tour.

Night 12 reestablished momentum for Block B after the lax effort from Day 10, Elgin/YOSHI-HASHI may be the best singles match in the latter's career, Shibata/Omega was an awesome sprint, and the main event between Naito and Nakajima rode a nice deliberate pace that built and never felt long, and made you really want to see the two hook it up again.

The G1 is rolling now, and if the Day 13 reports hold up to viewing, prepare for me to mark out in reaction.

Omega selling the knee was phenomenal. What a great match all around. That over the barrier table spot was cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back