• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Four Horsemen vs nWo

PSachkovsky

U mad bro?!
This is a thread to discuss the two groups that changed the landscape of professional wrestling. They weren't just another stables in their companies, but they were stables that effected the business in and outside of the squared circle. But the question that seems to be imporant is: "Which group had a bigger impact on professional wrestling"?

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

images

VS

THE NEW WORLD ORDER

wrestling2.jpg

Questions to discuss:

1. Which group had the better reaction, when they officialy became a group for the first time?

2. What is the difference between the nWo and Four Horsemen?

3. Which group contributed more to the business?

4. Imagine yourself this scenario: Hulk Hogan becomes a member of the Four Horsemen, and Ric Flair becomes heel and becomes the 3rd man in the nWo. What would be different if that is to occur?

5. Which group effected YOU more?

6. What were the Four Horsemen lacking as a group?

7. What were the nWo lacking as a group?

8. Which group was better as far as promo wise and storyline wise, and matches wise?

I think the obvious. The 4 Horsemen had the bigger impact in the 80s and the New World Order had the bigger impact in the 90s.

1. Which group had the better reaction, when they officially became a group for the first time?
I’m going to give this one to the New World Order, only because you’re talking about SuperMan joining the Legion of Doom as oppose to Lex Luthor forming the Legion of Doom. Think about it.

The major difference between the Horsemen and the NWO is the Horsemen were a dominant Stable in the NWA / WCW, whereas the New World Order was almost more like a rival brand to WCW.

I believe the Horsemen contributed more to the business as far as characters and “know your role” goes. The New World Order contributed as far as “WTF” moments, but most of the members were just warm bodies in my opinion. Quality vs. Quantity.

4. Imagine yourself this scenario: Hulk Hogan becomes a member of the Four Horsemen, and Ric Flair becomes heel and becomes the 3rd man in the nWo. What would be different if that is to occur?
This changes a lot and this question deserves its own thread. “What if Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair switched histories??” I don’t think either man would have been as successful as it actually turned out. More on that when someone makes the thread.

5. Which group affected YOU more?
I hated the 4 Horsemen when I was kid, which was natural. I loved the New World Order when I was a teen which was natural. I’m going to give this one to the NWO. I never wore a Horsemen shirt to a party when I was a kid, but I sure wore my NWO shirt, even till this day.

I think the Horsemen weren’t lacking anything. If anything, I think their Face runs were not necessary. I think Sting should never have joined the group. I think the only thing they were really lacking was a WWE run.

After 6 months or so, the New World Order was lacking “New” and “Order”. It did get old fast and the amount of members grew to half the WCW roster. Great idea at the start, but they overdid it. I loved the split between Hollywood and the Wolfpac, but I hated the reunion.

8. Which group was better as far as promo wise and storyline wise, and matches wise?
This is a tie. This is a 3 way tie with DX. This could even be a 4 way tie to include Evolution. If in fact it is a four way tie for the top spot, then in second place would be the Main Event Mafia.

This is definitely a discussion I can get in on.

1. Which group had the better reaction, when they officialy became a group for the first time?

The Four Horsemen name, IIRC, was part of an almost throw-away interview in the beginning. But that was back in the golden age of wrestling, in my opinion. I consider the nWo first becoming a group to be Bash At The Beach 1996 when Hulk Hogan joined The Outsiders. With that in mind, I have to give it up to the nWo. Hogan turning heel was a huge shock to the system. Having him join up with The Outsiders was a stroke of genius and had everyone talking, even non-wrestling fans.

The Four Horsemen, while they did have undeserving members (read Paul Roma), were moreso the elite during their tenure. The nWo was accepting of everyone as they had the 'membership drive' where Buff Bagwell joined up. That, to me, makes a huge difference.

I have to give this to the Four Horsemen. They were one of, if not the, first supergroups in professional wrestling and especially within the NWA. To me that alone makes more of an impact than anything else.

Wow. That is an interesting scenario. I don't think that the Horsemen would be considered as elite. And they would have more face runs than heel runs. Though Ric Flair is my favorite wrestler all time, I am not so sure that he could have pulled off what Hogan did in the '90's.

The Four Horsemen, definitely. As I have stated here, the Horsemen were an amazing supergroup during the golden age of wrestling. I have always been a major fan of the Horsemen, over any other group. But that comes from growing up in Virginia/North Carolina.

The ability to turn down certain wrestlers in the middle years.

The ability to turn down certain wrestlers, period.

I don't see how you can have anyone over the Four Horsemen. They were amazing on the microphone and they always fought to have the match of the night. They would even try to top each other during the night.

I think without a group like the horsemen, there is no NWO. They were the first cool bad guy faction and everyone is basically molded in that image (NWO, Hart Foundation, DX,Evolution, Filthy Animals, The Corporation/ Ministry etc.) Come to think of it, are there any cool "face" factions? All the best ones were heels!
I think The Four Horsemen(the original and with Barry Windham) meant more to wrestling than NWO. That's not taking anything from NWO. They were definitely game changers. WWE Survivor Series- Gang Rulz(97) was NWO inspired. If it wasn't for NWO, WWF/E would not have came up with that concept.

1. goes to the nWo no contest, the impact they had was felt instantaneously and changed wcws fortunes overnight

2. Difference between the two: nWo was about taking over, running wcw out of business, it was presented as a seperate entity. 4 Horsemen was about being the best using whatever means nessecary

3. nWo changed the way the buisness was presented, it ushered in the attitude era in the wwf and began the huge boom the industry felt in the mid to late 90s. nWo for the nod here again.

4. I dont think nWo wouldve been as succesful because what helped fuel that was the unexpected heel turn of hogan, by the same token alot of what the horsemen were was an extension of ric flairs personality so i dont think either would worik at all with out hogan and flair in thier proper places.

5. nWo 4 LIFE....good enough answer?? lol

6. 4 horsemen lacked only when they had shit members, when they were the original and the one with barry windham they were near perfect as a heel stable

7. nWo lacked a clear ending and/or comeuppance for the stable as a whole...that and adding way to many jobbers diluted its badly

8. storyline wise nWo was awesome. Matches wise Horsemen were the best ( War Games anyone). promos?? gotta give tha one to the horsemen.

Overall i personally liked the nWo more and i believe they had a way bigger impact on the sport but 4 horsemen was the consumate heel stabl, they were the first and the best simply because they kept it small and simple...

NWO. This is easy. Hogan and Savage- two of the biggest names in wrestling. The Monday night Wars with millions and millions of people watching. Everyone knew what the NWO was in the mid-late 90s. The NWO started a war that made catapulted wrestling into a newar mainstream level of popularity. The Horseman did not draw anywhere near the NWO.

Outsiders popped WCW as marks thought WWF was invading WCW but when the biggest star in the history of the business turned heel after a 15 year babyface run it resulted it got everybody talking. Some fan even tried to attack them before Nash knocked him out!

Four Horsemen were more about the match quality then nWo who were more about the promos. Four Horsemen towards in late 90's represented tradition while the nWo represented spitting on tradition. Four Horsemen wore suits while nWo wore jeans, boots & leather jackets. nWo thanks to Nash.,Hall, Waltman were gangsta.

nWo contributed more because they were the catalyst for the monday night wars & the Attitude Era which resulted in the greatest success the genre of pro wrestling has ever seen. nWo was arguably greatest angle in history of business & the things they were doing were revolutionary. nWo also drew far more money.

Would not have made anywhere near as big an impact as Hogan turning heel as Flair was always put into those heel positions plus it doesn't make sense since he basically represented the WCW/NWA lineage.

nWo

Don't really think they were lacking in any area but then again depends on which version of Four Horsmen is being talked about.

We ware talking about the group not the angle/storyline so...they added to many jabronis. I think nWo should have been Hall, Nash, Hogan, Syxx, Savage, DiBiase, Hennig & Steiner being the first WCW defector.

Promo wise - I was going to say a draw but after thinking about it going to have to give it to nWo...Hogan generated major heel heat when his intense ramblings, Savage...enough said, Nash & Hall for introucing the shoot promo & the fact that they had the crowd doing the surveys, nWo 4 Life, 2 Sweet etc.

Storyline Wise - nWo IMO is greaest angle in history

Matches wise - Four Horsemen however i really beleive nWo is underrated in terms of ring-work. I mean how many can recall the ladder match between Hall & Bigelow in early 1999...forgotten gem & there is so many that when i read online people just seem to be oblivious about.

Maybe im a bit bias? but im not trying to be. I tried to look at this objectivly as i could from my perspective.

This one is easy and I am going to avoid the direct questions, why because I was a young kid and a huge WWE to say that WCW wasn't even thought of so all I know is what I have seen over the years.

First of all look at the names Four Horsemen. I can name about 8 so where does 4 come into play. By the time I saw AA he was all bust washed up in WCW, Mongo, Benoit and flair were the Four horsemen I saw.

The NwO was quick Rising, Hall Nash and Hogan came in and as 3 people ran wild over the whole WCW. They were and order taking in a huge bulk of the roster.

It was said earlier that Horseman was a stable where as NWO was almost their own brand. Seriously 3 guys started their own brand ( Jarrett's could have learned a few things)

The NwO had Arenas full of people hatting them and others loving them, Horseman were great as heels and sucked as faces. This leads to how was the NWO received ( wolfpac) when they went face. They were loved. Showing that they can run both sides of the table.

I am sure most will say it is unfair to judge acolytes but serious look at the members and what they have done in other promotions prior to NWO and look at the horsemen without the stable. Most amounted to very little. Arn Anderson is a great example outside of NWA he didn't do much. He held some tag title and that was it. HE wasn't as over as he could have been.

This is not a fair comparison, the four horsemen span a huge time and they might have been the top stable in the second rate program, they would have stayed even more unknown if it wasn't for them feuding with the NWO. To added other stables is just stupid. Evolution was not nearly as dominate as the horsemen nor did they last that long. Ric flair came in and was trying to rebuild the horseman, and again in TNA. Evolution could have been better except they had 4 world champion contenders and nothing else. Horseman had tag team and limited world titles. NwO had it all. Hogan world, Nash and Hall Tag and syxx as cruiser they touched on each division that is why they were so huge. Forget the numbers most of the NWO were hired thugs that never held a title.

Overall NwO wins due to sear dominance in their time frame.

nWo was the better facation. The nWo was in a wrestling time period where wrestling was red hot. One reason why the wrestling world was on fire in the '90s was because the nWo. The nWo also made McMahon ditch the whole cartoon gimicks to the "attitude era" cause he had his back against the wall. nWo made wrestling fun again when wrestling was in the toilet. nWo filled arena's with fans who want them to get their asses kicked or watch them cheat the good guy out. To me, The Horsemen are a regional group, only popular or well know in the southern states. The nWo was on prime time in the best time period of wrestling. The nWo was popular and well known world wide, you can still see people in arena's wearing nWo shirts. The nWo was in the main media, The nWo brought in famous athlets to team up or go against (Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone, and Kevin Greene.) The nWo brought in Jay Leno for a PPV, at the time was one of the successful wrestling PPV's. I got alot of respect for the Horsemen and what they did for wrestling, but the Horsemen can't compare to what the New World Order did for the wrestling business.

Well you gotta remember without the Horsemen there would be no NWO. I Loved to watch both groups wrestle..Seems like all incarnations of the Horsemen were technical wrestlers that could out wrestle just about anyone..If the faction were around today i would say HBK and HHH would be two definate members of the new version..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back