First UFC Card You Ordered

Tha Wolfpac

Hey Yo...
Hey....Guys. Simple question which UFC card/event was the first you ever ordered and why?

For me, the first ever UFC event i ordered was none other than, UFC 83, for me the most anticipated card ever. It was headlined by the welterweight champion at that time Matt "Fluke" Serra vs George "Rush"St-Pierre, that fight was all i cared about. Because i couldnt get over the fact Matt Serra actually thought he was better than GSP, so i wanted to see this man get pummeled which he did. It was sweet revenge. To be honest the preliminary card i thought was better than the main but that is a different subject. So that's an example, which was the first ever card you bought and why?

Ooh, my first post in the MMA section.

The first card I ordered was UFC 61. I got it mainly for Ortiz/Shamrock. It was the big rivalry back then and everyone was looking forward to their rematch. I had seen some MMA before, but this was my first time really watching it.

The first match of the night was Joe "Daddy" Stevenson facing off against Yves Edwards and I always remember this match. I was only 15 so my mom was upset with me watching this, then after this match, those worries got worse. The match ended due to a doctor's stoppage, as Edwards was bleeding really badly. There was blood all over the mat. She saw that and was upset. Oh well.

The match I had been waiting for came up and I was quickly disappointed. Tito TKO'd Ken a minute into the match. I was pretty upset it ended like that. But I sucked it up and ordered another card in a few months.

The first card I ever personally ordered was UFC 100. Brock Lesnar is an instant draw for me. I will watch any of his fights whether I am cheering for him or against him. The same goes for Jon Fitch except that I am always cheering for him. The build up for Hendo/Bisping was what I was really looking forward to. I hate Bisping and couldn't wait to see Hendo kill him, which he did. GSP is usually a fun fighter to watch, though his fight with Alves was boring as shit. I didn't know anything about Akiyama then, but I am a fan now, it didn't hurt that he was fighting Belcher, someone I do not like. And, finally I like both CB Dollaway and Tom Lawler so that fight looked awesome on paper.

The card looked great and was a milestone for MMA and the UFC which is why I ordered it. And even though it was a little underwhelming I am glad I got it. The Hendo ass beating on Bisping was well worth the money and Lesnar was very fun to watch.

UFC 40.

Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock... that's why I ordered it. I was of course a fan of Ken Shamrock from his World Wrestling Federation days, and was interested in seeing his comeback fight. When seeing the promos and previews for the event, I was drawn to Tito Ortiz's smack talk and Shamrock's intensity. It was just something I had to witness for myself, and I'm glad I did because if I had missed out on that event, which turned out to be, in my opinion, one of the greatest MMA shows of all time, then I'm not sure how big of an MMA fan I'd be today.

The first card I ordered was UFC 81. It was the debut of Lesnar in the UFC and that was my sole purpose of ordering it, just wanted to see what he can do against a experienced fighter like Frank Mir. Before then I was just very mildly interested in the UFC and MMA. But after this card I was hooked for good and rarely miss a event now.

I was worried for shelling out $55 (had to have the HD) for the card but it turned out to be very good. As we all know Brock lost to Mir. Besides that there was the interim Heavyweight Title match between Big Nog and Tim Sylvia, which was pretty good. Nog won via submission by a guillotine choke in the 3rd. There must of been something in the water that night because Nate Maraquardt and Ricardo Almeida also won by guillotine choke. It also featured Tyson Griffin back when he actually knew how to win and won by decision over Gleison Tibau. Also after the Nog/Sylvia fight they aired the prelim fight between Lytle and Bradley and Lytle just destroyed him in like 30 seconds.

UFC 52. Was a pretty legendary card and is always thrown up there when the discussion comes around about the best card ever. You had GSP destroy Mayhem, the most epic comeback of all time in Hughes/Trigg 2, and of course Chuck/Randy 2. The eintire undercard solidly delivered, and the main events both ended in spectacular fashion. It really made me start to like MMA. Back then of course it was no where near WWE in my head, but it quickly grew on me and WWE quickly faded completely for me. Was an epic card.

Wow, I'll uh, just put it out there. I ordered UFC 1. Yes 1. I saw stuff for it at my dojo and thought it looked cool as hell. I told my mom it was a karate competition and asked if I could order it, she said sure, and AWAY we go. It was a bit more violent than I expected. I was, after all, only 11, but it was cool as fucking hell. I invited my friend Tim over (we used to take karate and watch WWF together back then), so when I told him a wrestler would take on a karate guy (you know you talked like that when you were 11) we actually thought a "wrestler" would be taking on a karateka. Needless to say, to this day we both still practice martial arts of some sort.

For me it was UFC 51: Ortiz vs. Belfort, I was only 16 and I hadn't really watched UFC but needless to say I have now trained in Muay Thai kickboxing and am an absolute MMA junkie... There was just something about MMA that captured my attention unlike boxing. I had watched wrestling and boxing my whole life, my dad was an amateur boxer in the 1950's and taught me everything he knew about the sport. I've seen fights like the 3 Arturo Gatti/ Mickey Ward bloodbaths and loved them, however the majority of boxing fights failed to hold my attention. As for wrestling, well I have a taped copy of Wrestlemania 6 and have been obsessed since.

UFC made me realize that there are hundreds of fighting styles out there in the world and that it was possible for exciting fights to be commonplace. I love how an unknown guy has a chance against a marquee name, you don't have that in boxing at all.

UFC 102. I only really got into it after I heard about Brock Lesnar in MMA and I was a huge fan of his back in his wrestling days. I remember wanting to buy UFC 101 Penn vs Florian but I was on holiday at the time and my dad promised to order the next PPV which just so happened to be UFC 102 headlined by Pride legend Minotauro Nogueira vs UFC legend Randy Couture. The rest of the card to me felt solid with Thiago Silva KOing Jardine in 1:30, Jake Roshalt submitting Chris Leben in the third and ofcourse the sickest nut shot ever. Gabriel Gonzaga actually BROKE Chris Tusherer's cup! Metal cup! The night was a combination of amazing knockout power, excellent jiu-jitsu, excitement and shown the heart these fighters have, special shoutout to Randy Couture who was rocked several times and landed up in some nasty looking submissions from Big Nog. After this PPV I was addicted, YouTubing everything I could, watching Pride fights and Wikipedia searching past fighters. So I owe my MMA addiction to UFC 102.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back