First MLB Game?

Steamboat Ricky

WZCW's Living Legend
In honor of me going to Wrigley today, I thought I would spark up a little nostalgia. When/Where was your first Major League ball game?

threeuse.jpg

It was 1992, I believe...the year after the last time the Pirates and the Braves played in the NLCS. My brother was obsessed with the Braves...so my dad and grandpa took my brother and I to the game at Three Rivers. The Braves killed the Pirates, but it was cool as I got to see a game that featured both Barry Bonds AND Bobby Bonilla.

Personal highlight of the game...I had to go to the bathroom during a grand slam. I was young.

I don't remember much about the first game I went to. I was very young. It was in 1986 and the Cubs hosted the Astros at Wrigley Field. I do remember what must have been my second game later that year. It was also the Cubs hosting the Astros. There is a reason this game stands out more than my first. I forget exactly how long it went, but I know it was at least 14 innings because Harry Carey did the 7th inning stretch twice. Eventually the game was called because of darkness. Wrigley didn't have lights yet. The next day a young pitcher named Greg Maddux made his major league debut to finish the game. I've probably been to Wrigley close to 100 times and win or loose it's a blast every time.

My first MLB game was on August 16, 1999. It was the Toronto Blue Jays vs. Seattle Mariners at the Skydome now known as the Rodgers Center. I went with the Boys and Girls Club I belonged to, during the summer there was a program that started called Prime Time, where a few local business men donated a couple thousand dollars for us to use to go on feild trips and one of them ended up being a baseball game.

I got to watch some pretty big names play even some future hall of famers like Griffey, A-Rod. Other people I got to see were Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Carlos Delgado, Shawn Green, and Shannon Stewart. Mariners won 7-5. Pitching for the Mariners was Jamie Moyer and for the Jays was Chris Carpenter. A-Rod went yard in the 8th inning which was the highlight of the game for us.

Then Almost 10 years later I went back to Rodger's Center and this time A-Rod hit his 537 HR it was the one that put him ahead of Mickey Mantle on the all time list. I took some sick pictures of the swing that I'll post

P7110149.jpg

P7110150.jpg

My first game was at one of my favorite stadiums (despite its not so stellar look):

DV3O000Z.jpg

I believe it was Phillies/Pirates (not quite sure) and I don't even remember who won the game. All I remember is that I took a bite out of a hot dog and lost my first tooth. Since then I've attended a handful of games at the Vet and I always enjoyed it. Same can be said about Citizen's Bank or the other stadiums I've been too. I truly believe there is nothing like going to a baseball game.

My dad picked a DOOZY of a game to go to for our first game...August 20, 1984, the Detroit Tigers CRUSHED the Oakland A's, 14-1. I had to check to find out the exact date, it was 26 years ago, lol. I remember Jack Morris pitching, and a bunch of HRs being hit, one by Lance Parrish, and I have no clue who hit the others... I was 9 years old at the time, and had only the vaguest idea that the Tigers were pretty good that year, but after that game, my first time ever at a MLB ballpark, I would have beaten anybody at school up who didn't think the Tigers were the best team ever. A team that scored 14 runs in one game had to be AWESOME. And, as it turns out, they were. They ended up winning the World Series against the Padres that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back