• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Film Characters You Emulate / Idolize

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Film, much like music, plays a massive role in our lives. Just looking at the sheer dollar value the entertainment industry commands, it's easy to see that the film and music industries are going no where in terms of importance in our lives.

With that being said, some times a movie character - hero, villain, or otherwise - possesses a certain style or characteristic that captures us and consciously or subconsciously, we emulate it. We idolize a fictional character. We look to them for "advice" or "philosophy" to help us with our own problems, even though our answers can't be scripted.

What are some film characters you'd done this with?

Rocky Balboa

This one is easy. The idea of being able to fight through adversity and do your best when everyone seems to think you've got no chance. The concept of "going the distance." Even motivating myself by playing "Eye of the Tiger."

Rudy

See: Rocky Balboa

Yoda

Believe it or not, I often use the jedi mentality to help me cope with difficulties. "Let go of everything you fear to lose." "Great warrior? Wars not make one great..." His was the outlook of wisdom and inner confidence, and the Tao according to Yoda can absolutely help someone seeking some degree of peace.

I could come up with plenty more, but I want to open this up to all of you for some additions, and I'll post more later on.

Major Richard Winters - Band of Brothers Not really an emulation of the guy, but I can't say I didn't look up to the character that was played, the front man of the whole thing, the rise to the top, the leader so to say, a very respected man, I mean who wouldn't look up to that kind of person?

Oliver "Ollie" Trinké - Jersey Girl Don't look at me like that, I like that movie, any way, I think he is the perfect example of a great father, definitely someone I would try to emulate if (or more like when) I become a father.

Forrest Gump - Forrest Gump I know what you're thinking "Ferb, do you want to emulate, and idolize a mentally limited person?" no that's not the Gump that I would emulate, I would emulate the fact that for the most of times he's a clean peace person, the guy who goes after his dreams, and succeeds in his ways on miraculous ways, also proving to be a good father as well.

This would be kind of easier if television characters were an option, since you get to really know them over a long period of time, instead of just two hours.

Anyways, I can still think of a few.

Mr. Miyagi - Yes, cliche answer... but how can you not love this guy? He's an old man who could kick anyone's ass, but yet he's as caring as anyone you'll ever see in any film ever. He takes a young kid under his wing, and not only transforms him into a great Martial Artist, but also shapes him up into a great young man.

Dottie Hinson - This lady is from the film, A League of their Own. She is perhaps my favorite fictional athlete ever. And that's odd since she's a women, but man... I loved this chick when I was a kid, and watching the movie again recently, she's still awesome. Not only is she a great ball player, but she still takes care of her brat sister, and is 100% faithful to her man all throughout the movie (though there are scenes cut out with her and Tom Hanks' character where they're romantically involved, but since they're not in the final print, then they don't exist ;) ). Basically she's everything you look for in an athlete, plus a woman.

Seth Gecko - This is George Clooney's character in From Dusk till Dawn. The guy is so fucking bad ass. Sure, he robs and on occasion kills people (only when he absolutely has to, though ;) ), but he still has a redeeming set of morals to make him likable, and the fact that he's not scared of anyone/thing... I mean, you can't help but to admire this guy, even if there is scumbaggery within him.

Sean Bateman - Character from the movie, The Rules of Attraction, played awesomely by James Van Der Beek. This is a very odd choice, but this guy is fucking awesome; I don't care what anyone says. Here's a guy who fucks Jessica Biel and Kate Bosworth, sells drugs yet refuses to pay his supplier, causes a chick to kill herself because he's so awesome, and gets another chick to lose her virginity to some drunk at a college party while someone else video tapes it. All because of this he loses the love of his life, and gets his ass completely beatdown. So, what does someone like this learn and change about himself by the end of the movie? Absolutely NOTHING. Sean Bateman is who he is, and he refuses to change for anybody under any circumstance. How many of us can claim to have the balls to never change for anyone and just live the life the way we want to live?

The Man With No Name is the most badass character I have ever seen. So awesome he has no name. Most spaghetti westerns that Clint Eastwood did he was labelled "The Man With No Name" and is much more awesome then Dirty Harry IMO.

another favorite of mine that I love imitating is The Dude from The Big Lebowski. I can't help but to like the slacker. He is mellow, hangs with psychos, and loves his White Russian. That's my kinda guy.

Westley/ The Dread Pirate Roberts - Okay, I realise that Inigo Montoya is regarded as the coolest character in the Princess Bride but consider Westley- he goes from being an innocent farmboy to becoming a cold blooded killer who can best a master swordsman, defeat a giant in a fight, injest poison and even beat death all for love. That's a level of dedication unsurpassed!

Joe Hallenback - I thought of John McClane but Joe out of the Last Boyscout is the ultimate trier. Despite being a chain smoking, alcoholic, family neglecting bastard ("And then some"), who kills with no hesitation; he has no time for drug abuse, beating women and even risks his life to save the life of the senator and avenge the murder of his best friend who was having an affair with his wife. By the end of the film, he appears to have amended his ways, repaired his relationship with his family and redeemed his drug addict new partner. Fantasic role model for self improvement.

Ferris Bueller - Ferris Bueller's Day Off has been my favorite movie for a long time. The title character of Ferris is someone I wish I could be like. He is a like an evil genius. He comes up with plans to get away with anything. He knows how to live life and make it enjoyable. He values his friends and like a superhero, he has a sidekick in Cameron. This is kind of a cheesy line if you've seen the movie, but I guess you can say Ferris Bueller is my hero.

One character I tend to emulate, to a degree, is Mike from Swingers. For those not in the know, Mikey is the main character, who had just gotten out of a six year relationship. For most of the movie, whenever the gang goes out partying, Mike is the "loveable loser" of the group. I can totally relate to both points, and actually use a lot of his phrases and mannerisms in casual conversations.

Another one is Frank Castle, from the Tom Jane Era. A guy who has the best life possible, only to have it snatched away by the evil mob boss John Travolta. I could not tell you number of times that douchebag has ruined my life. I'd like to think Castles vigilante brand of justice is the way to go, sometimes. Also, he's a badass, and who doesn't love one of those?

Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption. Not only is The Shawshank Redemption my favourite movie, but Andy Dufresne is a wonderful protagonist. Smart, logical, and you can clearly see that he thinks through almost any thing he does. The best part however about Dufresne is that he is still human, prone to outbreaks of anger and poor decision making. A lot of protagonists are seen as being able to handle any situation possible, but it creates a disconnect between the viewer and the hero, because the latter seems so unattainable. Andy however is just a man, but a very smart and thoughtful one. That's just my opinion.

The Joker (Shock, horror right?)

My interpretation of life is that it's a twisted joke on everyone all the time, and insanity is the only rational response. That's the ideaology put forward in the comics, but 'The Dark Knight' Joker followed this idea quite closely as well, and i try to copy Mark Hamill's Joker from the animated series when doing an evil laugh of some kind.

I've also got quite an evil looking smile and loads of people have said 'Ohhh, that reminds me of the Joker', so without really trying i emulate The Clown Prince of Crime

Tyler Durden The guy is fucked up on so many levels (as he is imaginary) but he is cool, smart and calculating. You think he's doing some batshit crazy thing but there's logic to it (destroying bank buildings to set everything back to zero) His mentality on life is 100% correct 'We work jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we don't need'. It's just brilliant.

Randy "The Ram" Robinson- Yeah, I know he fucked up a lot in the movie, but I idolize The Ram for at least trying to turn his life around. He made a ton of mistakes, but he realized what he did was wrong, and he made an effort to try and make things right. Also, I loved his attitude towards the end of the film.

Jules Winnfield- This is a character I tend to emulate and idolize. Samuel L. Jackson usually always plays a badass in every movie he's in. His character in Pulp Fiction was not only tough, but Winnfield was also a pretty smart dude. He was able to see the big picture after witnessing the miracle, and he wanted to take his life in a different direction. What a compelling character.

Sean Maguire- Robin Williams character in Good Will Hunting is easily one of my favorite film characters ever. No matter how many times Matt Damon's character tried to piss him off, Maguire still managed to stay strong. He helped Damon open up, and Maguire was also the main reason why Damon decided to pursue his love interest, Skylar(Minnie Driver). Maguire is one of those people who can bring out the best in you, and he was also a very witty guy.

I would have to say daniel plainview from there will be blood. His ruthlessness and his determination is incredible his also apparent atheist nature appeals to me plus I just enjoy his I dont give a fuck attitude. All daniel cares about is getting over and making money and hes damn good at it. hes also so commited that he broke ties with his son because he wanted to break off and start his own company. Daniel plainview is an incredibile character and hes someone I try to emulate. Also pretty much any of clint eastwoods charcters from some of his old westerns such as pale rider or outlaw josey wales clints the man nuff said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back