• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Feuds Not Personal Enough?

Ruddalin

Dark Match Winner
Hey there everyone, I was watching some old wrestlemania DVDs and started to notice something they hardly do anymore which is to make the feuds anything more than "you beat me once in the ring, you're a face and I'm a heel. Next week I'm going to beat you, the next week you beat me again and then our feud dissolves at the next PPV".

I think something missing from the WWE at the moment is interesting feuds, things like DX mocking the nation come to mind, or Y2J kicking Shawn Michaels' wife in the face and who could forget Randy Orton handcuffing Triple H and then attacking his wife. However I'm not saying that every feud should be overly personal in the sense that their family gets involved, but anything a little deeper than the standard "heel vs face" storyline.

A couple of good examples I can think of from recent times were The Miz interrupting R Truth's rap with his own and then beating him down in the ring and on TNA when a few months ago Mr Anderson was dressing up as the surfer boy sting and hosting the Scorpion Sit Down, then hitting the real Sting with his own move to end the show.

In my opinion these kinds of small touches add something to a feud, when I watch a large scale match, I want to believe that these two really want to tear each other's heads off, or barring that they at least really really want the title (but bringing back that "hunger" for the title I think is a story for another day).

I think the main problem of what I'm going to call the "NXT Generation" of clean young guys, all with the same kind of general look and personality of "I've wanted to be a wrestler for my entire life and this is my dream happening here in the WWE" it just kind of gets old fast, that's why during NXT2 I was a big fan of the more interesting guys like Husky Harris and Kaval. I guess in one word if I had to say what I thought the WWE was missing it would be "variety" but again a thread for another day as I think I already hear people talking about this.

In closing I'm going to talk about The Rock and John Cena. It's one of the cases I'm on the fence about. It's clear that they don't like each other, but they haven't really done much to show it apart from some back and forth insults. Although in saying that, they're not supposed to be fighting just yet so they may (hopefully) bring on some of these elements I have mentioned in the future.
I like what they did with The Miz, Cena and Rock coming up to wrestlemania last year when The Miz felt overshadowed by them both, you could really tell how fired up he was about it. Then he went and did the fake Rock entrance which I thought was hilarious, that kind of thing (I feel) helps add to the specticle of wrestling.

But anyway, these are just some of the thoughts I've had, was wondering if anyone had been thinking the same thing or had any comments on the matter? Go ahead and prove me wrong if you think I've overlooked something, I'd actually love to be proven wrong on this matter and have some life breathed back into the feuds.

Anyway I'd love to hear what you guys think

Punk vs Orton leading into WM27 was pretty personal, I mean Orton did knock Punks Diet Pepsi off of he announcement table. Well that and he punted Punk in the skull before a title defense that left Punk unable to defend his title that night. Punk attacked Orton in front of his wife by his tour bus.

Orton vs Triple H got pretty personal when Triple H tossed Orton out the window of that house after attacking him in front of his "wife." Orton took out each member of the family week after week, and kissed Stephanie after hitting her with an RKO or off the ropes DDT.

Alex Riley vs Miz was personal, but it didn't last as long as it needed to. Riley got fed up with Miz's shit and attacked him, beat the shirt off his back, and broke free while turning face.

There are personal touches added to every feud, but to get really deep into them it takes time to develop.

I agree. The Cena/Rock rivalry has been flawed from the very beginning to be honest. It has all the potential to get personal but maybe theyre just holding off the good stuff until Mania is a bit closer. There hasnt been any real personal rivalry as of late, but I could see Vickie being involved in a real love triangle with Ziggler and another poor soul.

I know you are not asking which is the best personal feud of all time (which actually would make a cool thread), but the Eddie guerrero vs Rey Mysterio feud for the custody of Dominic was pretty damn personal.
Also the real life feud of Matt Hardy and Edge was pretty damn intense and made that "storyline" so much better.
But to answer your question though, I think that a fight, any fight, needs to be personal on some level. They need a reason to fight. I hate when two random guys get thrown together and just fight for the sake of it. So, YES Cena and Rock need to get personal and fight for a reason.

I'm not understanding the thread, as there are many feuds today, right now, which are plenty personal. I'll just name a few that really stand out in my mind...

Mark Henry vs Big Show

Four months ago Mark Henry tore through absolutely everyone and put the Big Show out of action by breaking his ankle. And why did Henry do this? because of the humiliation he suffered at the hands of the Big Show which led to their match at NOC at the first place.

The feud clearly isn't just about the title, it's more about vengeance than anything else.

Orton vs Rhodes

Orton has been embarrassed countless numbers of times by Rhodes over the past few months, the biggest humiliation coming when Rhodes bagged Orton's head post match weeks ago.The two have been continously at each others throats for a while now.

Miz and R-Truth vs HHH, Cena, Punk, and everyone else

Miz and Truth feel like they've been insulted and embarrassed by management [mostly HHH] for not being granted the opprotunites given to guys like CM Punk and Del Rio. I feel that this feud is plenty personal because it represents a man's livelihood like Austin vs McMahon. Miz and Truth aren't fighting for titles, they are fighting for respect and recognition.

Sin Cara vs Huncio

Huncio stole Sin Cara's indentity and nearly stole his spotlight as well. I can think of no other greater insult than idenity theft except perhaps robbing someone of their dignity when Sin Cara forced Huncio to unmask.

Tons of bad, bad blood between those two.

As for the Rock vs Cena rivalry, all I'm going to say is give it some time. There's already some friction between the two since Rock cost Cena the title at Wrestlemaina last year. WWE has all year to build this fued, so just be patient.

how about Vince vs Hulk Hogan after he returned to WWE as they talked about Hogan testifying against Vince years back among other things that was real life stuff that went on between those two or how about vince vs bret heart that was personal also

Feuds are more fun when the guys wrestling hate each other. I used to think that a mutual respect and the "spirit of competition" would bring respect back to wrestling.... but its just not as much fun. The feuds going on right now have some fire under them, except the one guy that deserves one.

If Ziggler can get some serious heat going one way or another its going to help him with the fans, we all know what he's capable of, but he needs someone at his level that he can start a program with that will benefit both of them. Ryder wanting a match isn't nearly as good a reason for a feud as Swagger stealing his manager/girl.

I couldn't agree with this more. I still remember the whole stalking storyline behind Undertaker/DDP feud. The feud was short lived but it felt so personal and when DDP pulled off that mask and threw up the diamond, it was like wholey hell this will be beyond awesome (it wasn't but that part was damn good). I wish CM Punk would face undertaker at wrestlemania and involve michelle mccool in it because CM punk could pull off that whole personal feel. The last real personal feud I can remember was maybe the Jericho/edge feud. The HHH/Punk thing was more script then reality because if it was real there is no way they would have teamed together. The realism of people disliking someone always enchances a feud and now feuds are too watered down.You need to have that uncomfortableness of a moment or two taht really puts a feud over the top

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back