Female Rock/Metal Singers

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Who's your favorite chick in rock/metal?

Is it one of the classics, such as Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Lita Ford, or Nancy Wilson? Or, is it a modern girl like Amy Lee, Cristina Scabbia, or Angela Gossow?

I've always been a lover of all that is rock and metal, and some of my favorite bands are fronted by female singers. Something about the sound impresses me, and it always seems to add a different touch to the music.

I love all the females I listed, but ultimately this question for me is answered by Maria Brink of In This Moment. On their first album, Beautiful Tragedy, she showed that she can scream with the best of them, but also added in some very clean vocals that rounded out some great songs. She is a great songwriter, and you can always feel the emotion behind the song. On the new album, The Dream, she took out the screaming almost entirely, and still pulled off a great album of nearly all clean vocals. The songwriting was a little more personal, and each song feels as if you can connect it to your own life. (Recommended songs: Next Life, He Said Eternity, Forever, Violet Skies)

I also have a love for Candace Kucsulain (Walls Of Jericho) that some would call unhealthy. I've always loved her screams and stage presence, but on the EP Redemption, she shows off the pipes, and wowed me with her clean vocals. She only does some of the writing of the lyrics, but she still puts her heart and soul into every song they record. I've seen the live on 5 seperate occasions, and each time she gets a better crowd reaction than most male singers I've seen. She demands attention when she's on stage, and gets the crowd into a frenzy. (Recommended songs: Plastic, Playing Soldier Again, House Of The Rising Sun, American Dream)

Well, my favorite metal chick singer is and always will be Morgan Lander, from kittie. Straight out rock, however is a little harder to pin down, just because I love so many. I'm gonna have to say the answer is Lita Ford.

I have several with Morgan Lander, Otep, Tarja Turunen, and Angela Gossow to name a few.

I'd have to say Angela Gossow is my favorite female singer followed very closely by Kinthia (Astarte's old vocalist). I understand that Gossow has her voice fixed in studio to make it sound more crisp, but I also enjoy her live performances as well, they make her sound more brutal. Kinthia's voice was flawless, much better than Tristessa's in my opinion. But since since Tristessa arguably is the soul of Astarte, I can understand why she replaced Kinthia.

Astarte is also an all female black metal band, their closest competition is Kittie, and Kittie doesn't even come remotely close to comparing with the complexity and ferociousness of Astarte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back