FC Porto - A Soccer Thread

FSWWE

Championship Contender
Hi guys, since I may be the only active portuguese poster in the forum I would like to know what are your thoughts on our Champion!!

FCPorto%2Bsimbolo%2Bembelema.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiHg_yInbAU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG4DSCm087Q&feature=related

This year we won almost everything that we were competing!!
- League ZonSagres (portuguese championship), and we did it without any lose..
- Portugal Cup
- Portugal SuperCup
- Europe League, that one I know you know...

We have already a match scheduled against Barcelona, in August!!

So here is what I want to know
  • Who is your favorite team in Portugal?
  • Who is the best player in FC Porto in your mind?
  • Do you think that FC Porto doesn't deserve to be in the 3rd place of the best teams in the world?
  • Does Porto has what it takes to beat Barceona later in Europe Supercup?

Who is your favorite team in Portugal?
Porto is my team not only in Portugal but also in Europe. I've been a fan since around 2001

Who is the best player in FC Porto in your mind?
Falcao without a doubt. what he did this season is just amazing. 41 goals in 50 games is incredible.

Do you think that FC Porto doesn't deserve to be in the 3rd place of the best teams in the world?
sadly it does not :disappointed: . theyre a good team but i dont think theyre good enough to be the 3rd best team in the world. but they could be, as long as they dont sell Falcao

Does Porto has what it takes to beat Barceona later in Europe Supercup?
I think they do. Barcelona will most likely start theyre reserve players in this game.

Porto have always impressed me, and are definitely the biggest team in Portugal, and have been for a while now.

They seem to consistently produce quality players, achieve success and then lose those players to the bigger European powerhouses. Players like Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Ricardo Quaresma have all ended up at Chelsea, as well as Joe Mourinho and now Andre Villas-Boas. Porto are definitely doing something right!

My personal favourite Porto player is the great Mario Jardel. I had always kept and eye on this guy, throughout his time at Sporting, Galatasaray and Porto and was amazed at how many goals this guy scored, it was unreal. What was the reason he never ended up at one of Europe's biggest clubs such as Real Madrid or Barcelona? There must have been a reason why they never signed him, as his goalscoring record is incredible.

He ended up signing for my team, Bolton Wanderers, in England when he was old, and although he scored a couple of goals for us, he was really overweight and lazy and it turned out he was using alot of cocaine and suffering from depression.

Still, the guy won the Portuguese Golden boot in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2002, and score MORE THAN A GOAL A GAME for Porto....130 in 125 games. He also spent 2 years at Sporting Lisbon, where he again scored more than a goal a game.

Despite all these years as Europe's leading goalscorer, he only ever player 7 times for Brazil, scoring once. Why is this? As Porto fans you may know? Why did Jardel rarelyplay for his country even though he was outscoring everyone, and why did he never go to one of the REALLY big European clubs?

I would love to know, any information you have would be great :)

The problem with FC Porto is that they are in a league that cannot compete with their neighbours or the Premier League. Because of that, any of the players that they come across and break the mould, will head for greener pastures. Trust that.

Falcao and Hulk are two players that I really like and rate highly. However, do you really think that Porto have the finances to keep hold of them come the start of the new season? I seriously doubt it. Hulk has already been linked with Manchester City and simply no team on this planet can compete with their financial might. Hulk, being one of the hottest properties on the planet right now, might decide that he needs to play at the top level and Man City can offer him that deal. They can pay him handsomely and he will be well rewarded for moving away.

The same goes for Falcao. I will be very surprised if you see him lining up in an FC Porto shirt at the start of next season. He has did enough to show the top clubs in the continent that he can cut it at the top level and that's why he'll be gone. I know that Chelsea have been linked with him and I have a feeling that they will want him to replace Drogba, who will definitely be on his way out. They have enough money at their disposal to buy him and keep him happy with a good wage. Put simply, Porto cannot compete with some of the bigger teams on the continent.

Porto have did very well considering that Portugal is not the best league in the world. However, they are and forever will be a feeder club for the bigger clubs on the continent. It is the same for Celtic, so I know how it feels. How many of Celtic's top players will be gone this summer? God only knows. However, Porto do well finding players that they can sell on for high rates and that is why they are constantly successful. They should be commended for that.

As for them being the 3rd best team in the world, that is untrue. I believe that list is made up with coefficients and Porto always seem to do well in European competition. However, putting them against Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Valencia, Inter, Milan and a lot of other teams would be their undoing, I'm afraid. As far as quality goes, they are a little below that ranking.

Who is your favorite team in Portugal?
Im only really aware of Porto, Braga, Benfica and Sporting so i guess ill go with Porto.

Who is the best player in FC Porto in your mind?
I would have to say Falcao who just edges ahead of Moutinho who is very underrated by the way. Moutinho controlles the midfield but Falco's scoring record the last few seasons has been fantastic and Porto have a real job on their hands to keep him this summer, especially after he said he wouldnt mind following Villas Boas to Chelsea.

Do you think that FC Porto doesn't deserve to be in the 3rd place of the best teams in the world?
No they arent and unfortunately they never will be. Porto are victims of their own succes, back when the won the champions league in 2004 they had a great team and what happened? they all left. Carvallao and Ferreira went to Chelsea Deco went to Barca Maniche went to Athletico Quaresma went to Inter milan Pedro Mendes went to Totenham and Benni Mcarthy went to Blackburn.
The problem is every time Porto put a good team together and achieve succes either their best players want a new challenge in a better league(Deco) or a big team comes along and makes an offer the club cant refuse(Lisandro Lopez).
Porto will always be a selling club untill the portuguese league can improve and reach the same level as the English Spanish and Italian leagues where it can then Hold on to and attract the best players to their league.

My personal favourite Porto player is the great Mario Jardel. I had always kept and eye on this guy, throughout his time at Sporting, Galatasaray and Porto and was amazed at how many goals this guy scored, it was unreal. What was the reason he never ended up at one of Europe's biggest clubs such as Real Madrid or Barcelona? There must have been a reason why they never signed him, as his goalscoring record is incredible.

He ended up signing for my team, Bolton Wanderers, in England when he was old, and although he scored a couple of goals for us, he was really overweight and lazy and it turned out he was using alot of cocaine and suffering from depression.

Still, the guy won the Portuguese Golden boot in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2002, and score MORE THAN A GOAL A GAME for Porto....130 in 125 games. He also spent 2 years at Sporting Lisbon, where he again scored more than a goal a game.

Despite all these years as Europe's leading goalscorer, he only ever player 7 times for Brazil, scoring once. Why is this? As Porto fans you may know? Why did Jardel rarelyplay for his country even though he was outscoring everyone, and why did he never go to one of the REALLY big European clubs?

I would love to know, any information you have would be great :)

Well I think that the major reason was the 2002 FIFA World Cup, he was on top of his game and he believed that he was going to be called to the Brazilian National Team, but he wasn't.
In the next season he had problems with injuries and he made 20 matches and scored only 12, which was very low from his previous statistics.
When he signed with Bolton he was already 29/30 years, so he was old and above all that he was fat for a football player.
He just got old like a lot of players and he lost it, simple as that, but no deny he was an incredible player at his prime

Watch this video about Jardel
[YOUTUBE]s9kPciTqOjo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

The problem with FC Porto is that they are in a league that cannot compete with their neighbours or the Premier League. Because of that, any of the players that they come across and break the mould, will head for greener pastures. Trust that.

It's true Portuguese Teams can't compete against the financial power of the "Big Boys", but FC Port has a lot of talent in their team and I'm pretty sure that if the European Sharks wants something about 70% of our 1st Team, than somebody is making some good exhibitions.

Falcao and Hulk are two players that I really like and rate highly. However, do you really think that Porto have the finances to keep hold of them come the start of the new season? I seriously doubt it. Hulk has already been linked with Manchester City and simply no team on this planet can compete with their financial might. Hulk, being one of the hottest properties on the planet right now, might decide that he needs to play at the top level and Man City can offer him that deal. They can pay him handsomely and he will be well rewarded for moving away.

My team is FC Porto since the day I was born, and I will be honest with you, Hulk is probably the most OVERRATED player in the world.
He his sloppy and he really "thinks" he is some Messi or whatever, but he has his spots like running, dribbling and shooting, especially the last one.
He has a Termination Clause of 100M€ and nobody his going to pay this amount of money for him.
Falcao is probably the best striker in the world, he is and if you search videos of him you will see why I say that, he is always in the right place, ALWAYS.
It is almost impossible to defend with him, he his fast and you don't even realize where he is.
He doesn't create the goals, but he his the only striker that is in the right place every time, it is like magic.

For example: THIS IS MAGIC
[YOUTUBE]mFUeZ58aGfQ[/YOUTUBE]

The same goes for Falcao. I will be very surprised if you see him lining up in an FC Porto shirt at the start of next season. He has did enough to show the top clubs in the continent that he can cut it at the top level and that's why he'll be gone. I know that Chelsea have been linked with him and I have a feeling that they will want him to replace Drogba, who will definitely be on his way out. They have enough money at their disposal to buy him and keep him happy with a good wage. Put simply, Porto cannot compete with some of the bigger teams on the continent.

From what I've read Falcao, Hulk and Moutinho are going to stay one more season, as well as Fernando.
And I can easily see Barcelona or Man Utd trying to compete with Chelsea for Falcao.

Porto have did very well considering that Portugal is not the best league in the world. However, they are and forever will be a feeder club for the bigger clubs on the continent. It is the same for Celtic, so I know how it feels. How many of Celtic's top players will be gone this summer? God only knows. However, Porto do well finding players that they can sell on for high rates and that is why they are constantly successful. They should be commended for that.

I'm sorry but Portuguese League is better than Scottish League and you know it.
Celtic has lost it in the past years in Europe, I am wondering what happened to them :x

As for them being the 3rd best team in the world, that is untrue. I believe that list is made up with coefficients and Porto always seem to do well in European competition. However, putting them against Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Valencia, Inter, Milan and a lot of other teams would be their undoing, I'm afraid. As far as quality goes, they are a little below that ranking.

Are you saying that Porto isn't better than Valencia, Tottenham and Liverpool?
Well I didn't see Valencia winning 5-2 against Villareal, Liverpool couldn't even won a match against SC Braga, Porto won all of the 3 games they had.
Tottenham is being highly overrated because of one player only, I want to see him playing without Bale...
They have more financial capacity then Porto, but idk if they could win against Porto last season, we only lost something like 5 games in every competition, it is something to recognized for.
And not only that but we won the National Championships in Handball, Hockey, Volleyball and Basketball.

Looking forward for Porto vs Barcelona !!

It's true Portuguese Teams can't compete against the financial power of the "Big Boys", but FC Port has a lot of talent in their team and I'm pretty sure that if the European Sharks wants something about 70% of our 1st Team, than somebody is making some good exhibitions.

I have no idea what you are getting at here but I assume that you are saying that your team is going to make a fortune from selling players, if it does indeed come to that. I will agree with you to that point. Hulk, Falcao and Moutinho will fetch a hefty fee and it means that Porto can bring in more players. Will they bring in people with the same quality that is going out the door? Probably not unfortunately. That's just how football works, I'm afraid.

My team is FC Porto since the day I was born, and I will be honest with you, Hulk is probably the most OVERRATED player in the world.
He his sloppy and he really "thinks" he is some Messi or whatever, but he has his spots like running, dribbling and shooting, especially the last one.
He has a Termination Clause of 100M€ and nobody his going to pay this amount of money for him.
Falcao is probably the best striker in the world, he is and if you search videos of him you will see why I say that, he is always in the right place, ALWAYS.
It is almost impossible to defend with him, he his fast and you don't even realize where he is.
He doesn't create the goals, but he his the only striker that is in the right place every time, it is like magic.

Hulk is a good player and has many interested suitors. If he does indeed move, then I assume you will be happy. You should be happier that you will be receiving a fee of around 25 million Euros for him. I don't think he's worth it but there are teams out there that can afford that fee and will pay it to capture him.

His termination clause is precisely for the purpose that no one buys him from under the nose of Porto. If Lionel Messi had a termination clause of £100 million, I am sure that many teams would be clamouring to pay that fee.

From what I've read Falcao, Hulk and Moutinho are going to stay one more season, as well as Fernando.
And I can easily see Barcelona or Man Utd trying to compete with Chelsea for Falcao.

If Porto can keep hold of those players, then they have did very well.

I'm sorry but Portuguese League is better than Scottish League and you know it.
Celtic has lost it in the past years in Europe, I am wondering what happened to them :x

Of course I know it. However, there are parallels that can be dran between the two leagues. They are a smaller league than their neighbours and have less money to play around with. Two teams tend to dominate the league every season and the league is hurt because of that. Let's face it, Porto ran away with the league this season and showed the gulf in class between them and other teams in the league. Much like the SPL, once you get down the table a little, you see the quality quickly drop off. Who here (except you obviously) have ever heard of Naval or Portimonense? No one, that's who.

If you look at the English Premier League, there is quality right through the league. Any team could win the league and any team could be relegated. That is not true of both of the former leagues I mentioned.

Are you saying that Porto isn't better than Valencia, Tottenham and Liverpool?

That's precisely what I am saying.

Well I didn't see Valencia winning 5-2 against Villareal, Liverpool couldn't even won a match against SC Braga, Porto won all of the 3 games they had.

Liverpool were going through a horrible phase under Roy Hodgson. I guarantee you that if you were to play them now, they would be a completely different kettle of fish.

Tottenham is being highly overrated because of one player only, I want to see him playing without Bale...

Not to call you stupid or anything but this is the most ignorant statement I have read on here in quite some time. Sure, Gareth Bale is their talismanic player but they also have a wealth of quality from back to front. Modric has been an utter sensation at Tottenham and so has Van Der Vaart, Sandro is an amazing player and so is Steven Pienaar. Saying that they put their eggs in the one Welsh basket is ridiculous. Especially when Porto are doing the exact same thing with Falcao.

I have no idea what you are getting at here but I assume that you are saying that your team is going to make a fortune from selling players, if it does indeed come to that. I will agree with you to that point. Hulk, Falcao and Moutinho will fetch a hefty fee and it means that Porto can bring in more players. Will they bring in people with the same quality that is going out the door? Probably not unfortunately. That's just how football works, I'm afraid.

I was trying to say that for this player have the attention of the big teams in the Europe is because they have done something good for that, and you are totally trying to take FC Porto their credits for every title they won last season.

Hulk is a good player and has many interested suitors. If he does indeed move, then I assume you will be happy. You should be happier that you will be receiving a fee of around 25 million Euros for him. I don't think he's worth it but there are teams out there that can afford that fee and will pay it to capture him.

In matter of fact I will, he just explodes in Big Games, and in Portugal a FC Porto vs Feirense isn't a game that draws the attention of anyone, so he just cares to much with his own belly.

His termination clause is precisely for the purpose that no one buys him from under the nose of Porto. If Lionel Messi had a termination clause of £100 million, I am sure that many teams would be clamouring to pay that fee.

Well the news around here is that Pinto da Costa (FC Porto President - the one with more titles than any other president :rolleyes:) will not sell any player, unless they pay the termination clause, just look for Villas-Boas, 15M€ for a manager, we should be proud of that.

Of course I know it. However, there are parallels that can be dran between the two leagues. They are a smaller league than their neighbours and have less money to play around with. Two teams tend to dominate the league every season and the league is hurt because of that. Let's face it, Porto ran away with the league this season and showed the gulf in class between them and other teams in the league. Much like the SPL, once you get down the table a little, you see the quality quickly drop off. Who here (except you obviously) have ever heard of Naval or Portimonense? No one, that's who.
If you look at the English Premier League, there is quality right through the league. Any team could win the league and any team could be relegated. That is not true of both of the former leagues I mentioned.

Of course, this is like comparing a city to Portugal, the Premier League is very good and the football is always head to head which is exciting.
Everton, Newcaste, Portsmouth, Bolton, Aston Villa, hell even teams in the Coca Cola League people usually know.
It is a all different divison, of course, but if you saw any game from Porto this season I think that he has a great chance in the Champions League, and well he won it in 2004, what a shock wasn't it?

That's precisely what I am saying.
Liverpool were going through a horrible phase under Roy Hodgson. I guarantee you that if you were to play them now, they would be a completely different kettle of fish.

You are wrong, of course Arsenal and Man Utd are in other level, but FC Porto is the team that can go head to head with no fear of Liverpool and still get the victory without a surprise.

Not to call you stupid or anything but this is the most ignorant statement I have read on here in quite some time. Sure, Gareth Bale is their talismanic player but they also have a wealth of quality from back to front. Modric has been an utter sensation at Tottenham and so has Van Der Vaart, Sandro is an amazing player and so is Steven Pienaar. Saying that they put their eggs in the one Welsh basket is ridiculous. Especially when Porto are doing the exact same thing with Falcao.

Tottenham don't have a world class striker, sure they have a lot of talented players, I never said otherwise but you are totally disfavoring Porto.
Helton is by far better goalkepper than Gomes it is true, and everybody can see that.
We have Sapunaru, Rolando, Otamendi and Alvaro Pereira on the defense line, all of them are being rumored to big transfers, Otamendi is being scouted by Barcelona since the first day he touch his feet on Porto.
In the middle we have Fernando, which is even linked with Inter, João Moutinho that his linked to Chelsea and Barcelona (if Fabregas is going to stay in Arsenal, than they will most likely advance to Montolivo or Moutinho, at least it was I read in Marca.com)
Guarin had an incredible season, did you saw the best goal of the year? It wasn't Rooney super goal, it was Freddy Guarin's goal.
In the front we have James Rodriguez, the 19 year old kid that his evaluated in 45M€ and Inter is thinking about hiring him.
Hulk, well is Hulk.
And Falcao is just a dream striker for every time in the world.

I don't know what team you support, but name me players in Porto that you would want in your team?

Besides that, don't miss the Europe Supercop and you will see what I'm talking about, they are going to play head to head, you'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back