Favourite WWE announce Team

Miko

WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER!?
Okay, I have gone back a few pages and havent found a similar thread, if there is one that Ive missed then I apologise now, hopefully this is in the right forum.

Personally I believe that announce teams are one of the most important things in wrestling, you get a good announce team and they can turn an average match into a good one, or a good match into a great one.

My personal favourite at the moment has to be JBL and Cole (mostly JBL).

The best example has to be that ladder match (cant remember the PPV) between the Hardys, MNM, Londrick and Regal and Taylor, it was a good ladder match but what made it great was JBL's commentary, he was the one that made me want someone to win, it was him cheering people on to win it and his summary of the match at the end that made me remember it, JBL and Cole used to deliver everytime in that booth.

So I ask you, who's your favourite announce team? who's voices did it for you? who's. . . . . . . . . okay getting a bit carried away there, but you get the point.

Assuming from the post, that you mean favorite announce teams all-time, rather than currently...

I would go with the team of Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. Monsoon played the face, and Heenan a heel, and it simply worked to perfection. You paid more attention to Heenan than you did to the match, because he was capable of throwing out a beautiful random insult at someone at any given time. He was genuinely the funniest wrestling announcer I have ever heard. Gorilla, meanwhile, let you know who you were supposed to root for better than anyone else. The way he protested when heels cheated was classic.

Jim Ross and Jerry "The King" Lawler. Definitely. BUT, only in the Attitude Era days. When The King would be super heel, of course. Not only was this the funniest and most entertaining announce team, but I personally feel, the best. They are still pretty good these days, but not anywhere as good as they were in 1997-2000ish.

Jim Ross always had a way of making you believe what he was saying. He made you interested in the match or the moment, in the wrestlers, in the atmosphere...J.R. is the greatest play-by-play announcer of all-time.

Jerry Lawler was so damn funny as the heel announcer. Especially when he'd stick up for Vince, and tell J.R. that he was gonna get himself in troub le when "Vince looks back over this tape and hears your commentary."

Anyway. That is my opinion. I always liked Jim ross and Tazz together too, strangely enough...Not anywhere near the best though.

I think JR and the King are the best announce team. JR, the best pbp guy in the history of the WWE (IMO), coupled with the King, who can be really funny at times. I'll never forget the infamous Hell in a Cell match between Foley and Undertaker and how special JR and the King made it. JR made you feel the intensity of the match while the King added some humor to it. The King's subtle first remark after Foley went through the top of the cell was, "That's it, he's dead." Wow, classic.

Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler.J.R. is the best PBP guy ever,bar none.He just brings that,BBQ,middle class american,good ol' U.S.A. feeling to the booth.And he knows what he is talkin about.he just knows so much about the buisness and he just has the voice for the booth.He makes you feel the match.It is really hard to explain.

And the King is a good man.And he is hilarious.Qoutes like,"Alan Greenspan was wrong,inflation is a good thing" talking about Trish,"I would hit you Ross,but I have a thing against animal cruelty",and "Of all the thins he's lost,I bet he misses his mind the most"! make me laugh hard.And I always loved the excuses he would make up for the heels.I always liked Joey Styles by himself in the original ECW also.

I'll go with Monsoon and Heenan, with Monsoon and Ventura a close second, and as hard as this is to say, JR and King third. Monsoon and Heenan's commentary was often more entertaining than that matches themselves. There's a natural chemistry there between those two that has never been matched, not even by JR and King. Heenan was so easy to hate, and with Monsoon intimidating him so well, it was just classic. In the 1992 Rumble, those two and Flair sold that match. Not Hogan, not Piper, not anyone else but those three. Watch that match and just listen to them banter. It's classic.

I'll go with Monsoon and Heenan, with Monsoon and Ventura a close second, and as hard as this is to say, JR and King third. Monsoon and Heenan's commentary was often more entertaining than that matches themselves. There's a natural chemistry there between those two that has never been matched, not even by JR and King. Heenan was so easy to hate, and with Monsoon intimidating him so well, it was just classic. In the 1992 Rumble, those two and Flair sold that match. Not Hogan, not Piper, not anyone else but those three. Watch that match and just listen to them banter. It's classic.

Haha, yeah I found it on Youtube and I am definatly sold on them, I had a feeling that when I started this thread it'd be between JR and King and Mosoon and Heenan.
The reason they arent my favourites is because they are a little before my time, other than that though, great announce team.

My favorite announce team would have to be Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan. These guys were just an absolutely great team. They called dozens upon dozens of great matchups. My personal favorite being Piper/Hart for the I-C title. The great thing about this team would have to be their bantering back and forth. Heenan was classic with it and Monsoon would just feed him some more. They also made dull matches entertaining, which in today's world is hard to come by.

My favorite team would be Michael Cole and Tazz simply because they were fast and enthusiastic and had great chemistry along with speed. Michael Cole is the best PBP announcer ever in my view. A lot of people would disagree with that as they find J.R. to be the best guy because of his experience and because he has been involved in various storylines over the years but popularity doesn't win that award for me. J.R. is extremely good as well but not good enough to beat Cole. I rank Ross and Lawler the second best for sure.

They also made dull matches entertaining, which in today's world is hard to come by.

This is probably as good a summary of why I picked Monsoon/Heenan as any. The purpose of the announcers is to draw the viewer in, to tell a story about what is going on in the ring. You don't always get a lot to work with in a match, but you are exactly right, when the announcers can make a bad match seem good, they are doing their jobs right. They could make Koko B. Ware vs. the Barbarian seem like a wrestling masterpiece.

my favorite ever in wwe would be any team with jesse ventura. the guy could talk and talk and talk.... and i wouldn't miss a word. he was so entertaining and managed to keep himself in the spotlight while still keeping you concentrating on the match. and his voice is so recognizable and iconic. he was great.

my favorite line of his was at WM6. he says: "ive been to the superbowl, ive been to the world series, ive even been to the rolling stones, but there is one event that surpasses them all: and thats wrestle mania"

my favorite team off all time is one man - joey styles, but im not a fan of his wwecw work, just his old ecw stuff so i dont think he counts for the discussion of greatest wwe announce team

Wow this is really tough. I too am a huge fan of Ross and Lawler in the 97-98 incarnation. However, during about half of this time it was still a 3 man booth with Vince in the middle to be the total straight man. Also, this was the time period in which Vince's character began evolving with his on air feud of sorts with Bret Hart. In addition to that, at this time as was stated in previous posts, Lawler was super heel. I personally don't see the point of having 2 announcers with the same point of view out there. There needs to be some form of conflict in the booth as well as in the ring to keep interest. Now, Lawler is just Lawler and doing his thing. He's good and all, but he's just been doing his thing with JR for too long in an overly comfortable fashion. I hope putting him with Cole shakes things up and creates some conflict.

Another fact about this time period to consider is that JR was still head of talent relations and for whatever reason did a lot better job of putting talent over on the air. Whether this was b/c of his job as head of talent relations or b/c he was putting over the boys he brought in and were his favorites is up to conjecture. JR is still the best now and best ever. However, I just feel at that time, he seemed to come across with a lot more passion in putting over both the boys and the matches.

Close second: Monsoon and Ventura. As I type this I can hear it echoing in my ears..."The irresistable force meeting the immovable object"..."Look at the size of the giant!!!" They were so perfect as opposites and played their respective roles to perfection. It will be hard to ever find a combination of heel and face announcers that will come close to these two ever again.

Tied second: Monsoon and Heenan. Like with Ventura both of them played their respective roles to perfection. However, the chemistry between them was altogether different than that of Monsoon and Ventura. Watch an old Prime Time Wrestling and you'll see the amazing comedic timing and chemistry the likes of Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis, and for the kids on here who don't know the previous 2, Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson.

Bonus...I don't believe they ever worked together in WWF, but I was watching an old War Games on 24/7 last night with Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura in the booth together.

They melded together just as well as any other announce team I've ever heard, and showed why they were each so good at their craft. if you haven't heard them together, jump on 24/7 and check out the 92 WCW War Games or youtube something from that era...great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back