Favourite Wrestler to come out of America's Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of my Canadian friends are celebrating "Canada Day" today, so I got to thinking.

Canada has produced a lot of great wrestlers as well as a whole freaking family of them. So me being quite new around here wanted to know people's views on Canadian wrestlers.

Personally my absolute favourite is Chris Jericho (even though he's half-American) because not only have I pretty much grown up with Jericho in my life at some point, he's got a good well-rounded skillset, proving very capable both in the ring and on the mic. He's done several different variations on his character and he does them all really well.

My favourite match of Jericho's is Jericho/Benoit from Backlash 2000, I was only 9 at the time but I remember it more than any other match from that year, it was an absolute king among IC title matches, and the screwy finish just made me as a kid really get angry. Benoit tries to cheat, Jericho ends up playing him at his own game and busts his nose open, but the ref catches him and DQs him! You see what happens when the face tries to out-heel the heel?! I remember at the time being really pissed off by this result, but it was a good story.

Although I have to give props to Stu Hart for being the foundation for the Foundation, starting a promotion and the dungeon thus giving us so many of the great Canadians and even some non-Canadians, and not just the other Harts either. The dungeon's alumni outside of the Harts includes Jericho, Edge & Christian, Benoit and many others. So I would say this is a pretty important thing in the wrestling business. Also, Stu Hart was a wrestler who lived until the age of 88. Just think about that for a second.

Who's your favourite Canadian wrestler and why? What's your favourite match involving them?

I think there are arguments as to why Bret Hart, Chris Jericho and Edge can make claims to be the greatest Canadian wrestler of them all.

Hart is obviously going to be a favourite due to his huge success as one of the mainstays for the WWE for about 15 years. One of the best technical wrestlers of all time, part of a great tag team in The Hart Foundation and a hero all over the world. Bret is a true icon of the business and if he was to be voted the greatest of all time I would have no complaints. The man hardly ever put a foot wrong in the ring. A true great and it is an honour to see him every time he appears on WWE tv now. It's sad it didnt happen earlier.

Jericho also makes a very strong claim. He has won it all. The first ever Undisputed champion, the most successful IC champion of all time, multi-time World Champion and Tag Team champion, headlining WM, being a huge success as both a face and a heel and again being a phenomenal wrestler as well as being a great entertainer. Jericho rarely has a bad match and is one of the best of his generation that is for sure.

As for Edge? He has won more world titles than either Hart or Y2J but many of these have been very short reigns. He has won the RR, KOTR, a huge number of tag team titles with Christian in one of the all time greatest tag teams, and multiple Intercontinental titles, plus many other accolades. He was a key member in revolutionising tag-team wrestling in the TLC matches, and has had a large number of great matches over the years. Edge created one of the best gimmicks in the last few years with his "Rated R" character, becoming the bst heel in the business after spending most of his career as a goofy face character. It is good to see that in the last couple of years in his career, Edge got the respect he deserves.

Bret Hart. He was a humble man backstage, a terrific technical worker, could talk on the mic, play to the audience, and he has a large body of legendary matches. I think my favorite match of his is with Stone Cold. There were so much storytelling going on, and everyone remembers that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back