Favourite NHL Tradeline Trades

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Well, March is here, and that means one thing for NHL fans. Trade Deadline is on its way. With some of the greatest trades in history made at this time of the year, let us gather in peace and think of some of those heralded classics. What are your favourite nail biting/last hour trades that brought your team glory?

When I was young, I was a huge fan of the Red Wings. Even today, they are my #3 team. But the 1997 Finals were part of my two pact favourite runs, as the Red Wings broke the drought, and reclaimed their title of Hockeytown, USA. But I have a feeling it was because of one man.

Larry Murphy is a name I have mentioned twice now in threads in the past 24 hours. But the first one was ten years before, when he was a speedy defender. This is 1997, and his career is winding down. He was brought in from Toronto to help the defensive core of Detroit. When I was thinking about this thread, I couldn’t name the players he was traded for, thinking it was probably some draft picks, maybe some rookies, or other aged players. But it was for nothing, just future considerations.

I think back at Murphy, and those great years he had with the Red Wings where he was one of the best players in the NHL on the blue line. And to think the Red Wings got him for nothing is great, but it makes sense at his age. So what are your guy's favourite Deadline trades?

The one's that got me the most excited were when the Leafs traded for Brian Leetch and Ron Francis. Both were future HOFers and were brought in for a run at the cup. But as most Leafs trades went, they didn't pan out as hoped. Still, it was the excitement of it and also the big names that they acquired.

The Ryan Smyth trade was huge also because it kinda came out of nowhere. Yeah he named was mentioned in rumours, but no one really thought that Edmonton would trade him. Then I hear Bob McKenzie break the news and find out that he went to the Islanders? Really, the Islanders? That was a huge trade because Smyth was the Oilers and the press conference for Smyth at the airport really showed how much Edmonton meant to him.

There are tons more trades that I loved, but I can't think of them right now, but when I do I'll come back to this thread. I absolutely love Trade Deadline Day for the NHL. Sitting in front of the tv watching McKenzie work the phones and screaming out "we have a trade to announce". Oh man the chills and the anticipation of who will get traded is an awesome feeling. I can't wait until tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back