Favorite Wrestling Betrayal?

My favorite involved of my favorite wrestlers at the time. To my knowledge, there had never been a double turn before Mr. Fuji turned on Demolition and the 1988 Survivor Sereis. This was crazy! Why would a manager betray the tag team champions to go to another team? I was, and still am, a big fan of both these team. The turn added a new element to the feud and it made Demolition officially fan favorites.

1980. Ole Anderson betraying Dusty Rhodes during steel cage match pitting both he & Rhodes against the Assassins. with Ivan Koloff as the special guest referee. For those of you unfamiliar with this, you have to understand what was going on in Crockett's promotion at the time. Dusty was having huge problems with Koloff and also Assassins and had asked Ole Anderson to be his partner a few times. Ole agreed, even though he and Dusty had their feud previously. Finally a match was set up inside a steel cage in Greensboro, N.C. (if I'm not mistaken the location) and while Dusty was trying to tag in Ole after a pretty rough beatdown, in comes Ole Anderson who just starts kicking Dusty Rhodes' ass! The crowd was red hot after Ole, Ivan and the Masked Assassins. It started a damn near riot as people pushed into and against the cage. I think it took Ole & Company a while to get back to the dressing room as the crowd really felt this was real. I remember the next week on TV how Ole talked with Gordon Solie about the incident and gloated, followed by clips of various wrestlers talking about what happened and then getting Ivan Koloff's as well as Dusty Rhodes' opinion. Biggest betrayal ever because no one saw it coming while everyone should have seen it coming! It even has it's on youtube series of videos called The Big Turn of 1980. Classic

The two that stand out for me have already been covered:

Shawn Michaels turning on Marty Jannetty on The Barbershop. I was at that impressionable age and everything in the world of wrestling was real to me. I still think for the time period, that this was a well handled and well written break up of arguably one of, if not the most popular tag teams of the era. The effect it had on Shawn's career needs no explanation.

The second was Stone Cold's betrayal by turning on the fans and aligning himself with the Devil in Mr McMahon. Sure I was older at this time and a bit more wise to the world of wrestling but I watched the entire story unfold and enjoyed it thoroughly. The Rock and Stone Cold using each other's finishers was something new to me at the time. The face versus face main event was something you didn't see everyday, coupled with the history between the two and the twist at the end kept me interested in this from start to finish. I certainly didn't expect Stone Cold to be the one to align with Vince...it was a massive betrayal to every Stone Cold fan.

I've got another great one that I'm surprised no one has mentioned thus far. The original betrayal of Paul Bearer on the Undertaker. They had been together since 1991 and in 1996, Paul Bearer betrayed the Undertaker and aligned with Mankind. Since this time Paul Bearer has betrayed the Undertaker so many times that it really has no more meaning, but I remember the first time being a pretty big deal.

Hogan turning on the fans is definitely the BIGGEST betrayal of all time. You know when u have garbage being thrown at you, or a fan trying to attack you, you've done something right. When an idea that unimaginable is thought up, it sends silence among those who hear it, and the hair on your neck stand up. But after it soaks in, you just know it'll work!

But the first one that truly effected me as a kid, was of course Shawn & Marty. When you look at the horrendous tag team break ups of Primo & Carlito and the Hart's, it's sad looking back, because when a tag team broke up back in the 80's or 90's, it meant something, mainly because they've been together so long. Vince McMahon now has the mentality that now that Tag Team wrestling is caputski, they HAVE to split up a tag team at a certain time. When even STRIKE FORCE, had a more epic breakup than the stars of today, you got a problem. Shawn & Marty's breakup was so epic, because nothing like it had been done in the WWF before. Plus they'd been popular for years, and guess what? They never even HAD an offical tag title reign.

I also liked the N.O.D's mutiny on Faarooq, it allowed the Rock to explore more of what he had in star power.

One I liked alot and I don't think it was mentioned was Evolution's betrayl on Randy Orton. You knew sooner later it was going to happen, but when HHH turned his thumb upside down diggstown style I loved it. I also think that is what pushed Orton to be where he is today the same as the push Michaels received after the barbershop

One I liked alot and I don't think it was mentioned was Evolution's betrayl on Randy Orton. You knew sooner later it was going to happen, but when HHH turned his thumb upside down diggstown style I loved it. I also think that is what pushed Orton to be where he is today the same as the push Michaels received after the barbershop

Yikes! That KILLED Randy for the longest time, IMO if it wasn't for his feud with The Undertaker, interest in him would've plummeted even further. He was booked in such a god awful fashion afterward. And no, I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists that says Triple H was behind it, the WWE can book an awful angle on their own. I did think the thumbs down thing was a nice effect, and I'm glad u made a Diggstown reference (great film, with great actors), but even with the feud with 'Taker, I don't think Randy fully recovered from that until about 2007.

My favorite betrayal of all time would be Paul Bearer siding with Mankind at Summerslam 96. Not only was the 'Boiler Room Brawl' a great match, the Undertaker was about to win only to be hit in the head with the Urn by Bearer. Afterwards, Paul presented the Urn to Mankind. By far, that's my favorite betrayal.

As far as the biggest, I agree with many people regarding Hogan joining the NWO. Everyone figured Lex would join the NWO but not Hogan. Hogan's great speech afterwards with all the garbage being thrown in by the fans made that a perfect heel moment.

Triple H betraying Shawn Michaels in 2002 was huge for me to see, here I was excited to see HBK finally back in the WWE and BOOM! Triple H annihilates him

Yikes! That KILLED Randy for the longest time, IMO if it wasn't for his feud with The Undertaker, interest in him would've plummeted even further. He was booked in such a god awful fashion afterward. And no, I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists that says Triple H was behind it, the WWE can book an awful angle on their own. I did think the thumbs down thing was a nice effect, and I'm glad u made a Diggstown reference (great film, with great actors), but even with the feud with 'Taker, I don't think Randy fully recovered from that until about 2007.

Randy had a LOT of backstage problems during that period that really stunted his development on camera. He trashed hotel rooms, allegedly committed sexual assault, and took steroids throughout that 2005-2006 time period. Each time they tried to forgive him (his feud with Undertaker, his match with Hogan, headlining WM22, etc.) he did something else that made them punish him. It wasn't until 2007 when he stopped all of this behavior and they rewarded him with that 7 month title reign

now i know that this isn't really a betrail but i don't think that this thred would be compleate without Austin vs Rock at WM17 when vince came out and totaly fuled everyone and that beer at the end, most people were like :wtf:

I’m surprised it took over 20 responses before someone mentioned Andre The Giant turning on Hulk Hogan. Bobby Heenan was the real key to the betrayal. Andre challenging Hogan at WrestleMania III would have been big enough, but it’s possible that some fans would have supported Andre in the feud if not for Heenan. Over the years Andre and Hogan worked together against the hated Heenan and his family members, most notably Big John Studd and King Kong Bundy. Andre actually joining the Heenan family was unthinkable at the time. Heenan really deserves more credit than he gets for the WM3 main event.

I have an obscure honorable mention. I liked Tatanka’s betrayal of Lex Luger. I know most people probably wouldn’t have thought of this, but it was special to me because I was in attendance for my first ppv and I enjoyed seeing a heel turn live.

the one 4 me is when the rock joined the corporation...with the rock rising to stardom everyone lovin his catchphrase and getting more pops than anyone not named stone cold..when u look back at the survivor series afterwards u can see the scheme..but while watching it i had no idea vince was really workin with the rock..it had u think mankind was bout to be champ then in comes swerve montreal 2.lol

I have yet to read anyone elses response, I'll do so after I write this.. However theres three that come to mind right away they are:

The Rockers Explode- Shawn Michaels on the set of The Barber Shop super kicks Marty Jennetty and then proceeds to send him through the famous Plate Glass Window. Effectively ending The Rockers and leading to a Hall of Fame singles career for HBK (along with all of his credentials of Titles, Factions, and accomplisments) meanwhile Marty Jennetty had a brief IC Title run and then was nothing more then a poster child of two different paths tag teamers take in their career once they break up, Both Kurt Angle and The Miz have brought it up in their feuds with HBK, and John Morrison respectively.

The Survivor Series- Mr. Fuji turns on Demolition in favor of The Powers of Pain, leading to the first ever double switch in Wrestling History ( Heel/Face, Face/Heel). Most fans were confused as heck during the event and cheered The Powers of Pain at the conclusion of the match not realizing what had just happened.. But leading up to the event Demolition had an incredible Heel run as a tag-team led by Mr. Fuji, the man that tossed his Cane in the ring at Wrestlemania 4 to help Demolition defeat Strike Force for the first of their Tag Title Run

4 Horseman turn on Sting- Ric Flair, Sting had bonded together to form a new variation of The Horseman to take on Gary Hart's stable J-Tex Corporation. The feud concluded and The Horseman turned on Sting leading to one of the best rivalry's ever in Wrestling. It was honored at the final WCW Nitro when Sting and Flair had their match on the final night of the Company that had been theirs before outside forces ultimately killed WCW/NWA Legacy.

Thuggy bear, you just made me think of another great betrayal. Steph-o-mac betraying Test and getting with HHH. One of the best WTF moments in WWF history!

I honestly really liked the time Matt Hardy turned on Jeff.

Considering we had all been fooled into thinking Edge and/or Christian would be the one who had been causing all of Jeff's "accidents", when Matt comes out, looking like he's going to save Jeff from Edge... Then blasts him with a chair, giving the world title to the guy who "ruined his life"... you knew how serious he was.

Here's a GooD one that I haven't seen mentioned yet............

How about when Scott Steiner betrayed Rick and joined the nWo?

One of the greatest tag teams of all time implode and Scott goes on to become a WCW World Champion. I was one of the biggest Steiner Brothers fans out there and to see that happen came as a complete surprise as there was no hinting toward it leading up to their match.

Scott used this to springboard a solo career as a monster heel.

My favorites are:

Hogan turning heel on WCW and joining NWO. Mainly for the whole surprise of it all. He not only turned his back on his fans; but renounced his old slogan: "Say your prayers and eat your vitamins..."

I LOVED Trish turning on Y2J during his feud with Christian. No one saw that coming either and it fueled a great feud with Y2J and Christian.

The implosion of The Rockers only for it made one a superstar and the other fade into oblivion.

Last but not least, after a long hiatus, HBK came back to the WWF and wanted to start things right where they left off with HHH. The only thing was, HHH became top banana and was not going to step back again. HHH turn during a DX moment was an incredible betrayal.

Really surprised how over looked this one is. Only a few people mentioned it, or maybe only one from what I saw. Stone Cold Steve Austin turning heel and joining forces with Vince McMahon. The road they took after the fact wasn't that great, but man that moment within itself was shocking to say the least.

The build up to this moment, only for Stone Cold to turn heel was amazing. It was one of the most epic turns in history.

Rick Rude betrays WWF/DX to join WCW/nWo. 17th November 1997 eight days after Vince and Shawn screw Bret. A clean shaven 'Ravishing' Rick Rude turns up on Nitro alongside the nWo and decries the Montreal Screwjob and DX an hour before he appears on the pre taped RAW is WAR as DX's enforcer. Whilst people still argue over whether Bret was in on Montreal, one thing is certain - Vince definitely got shafted by Rude and I LOVED IT!!!
[YOUTUBE]j249kqOsWTM[/YOUTUBE]​
... and here he is an hour 'later':lmao:
[YOUTUBE]uNoUqNWrq3c&playnext=1&list=PL89689322CA15B8A0&index=51[/YOUTUBE]​

The betrayal that did it for me is a random enough choice, it hasnt been mentioned yet. I'm talking about The British Bulldog turning heel in 1995.

Davey Boy had always been my favorite Superstar growing up, his match at Summerslam 92 with Bret Hart is my first absolute vivid memory of wrestling. When he came back in '94 to help Bret i loved him just as much. I think I nearly cried when Shawn eliminated him at the end of Royal Rumble 1995!!!

Anyway, back to the point. Throughout '95 Bulldog had formed a tag team with Lex Luger called The Allied Powers. Lex defected to WCW that summer leaving Bulldog on his own. So when World Champion Diesel needed a tag partner against Men on a Mission, Bulldog kindly offered his services to even up the odds against the heels. During the match, Davey Boy attacked Big Daddy Cool from behind and at the same time upset his biggest little fan in Dublin, Ireland :(

I remember being stubborn and telling my cousins that I dont care if he's gone bad, I still will cheer for him. But,alas, he cut his awesome hair short and ended up in Camp Cornette. It was never the same again for me.

*On a side note, he had some World Title matches but never captured the Big One, which i feel is a shame. He won the European Title, Intercontinental Title (When it meant something) and the Tag Titles. This man deserves a spot in the Hall Of Fame along with his Brother-in-law, Owen.

I gotta agree with the Windham turn back in 88 that was a HUH moment.

Secondly was without a down the King of Hearts Owen Hart turning on Brett that whole fued was awsome. Especially when Owen beat Brett in the Corner holding the tights.

Then lastly for me was Michaels and Janetty no one saw that really coming till the SCM hit.

Hogan joining the NWO are you kidding me that was the worst kept secret in wrestling. I am sorry if you kiddies were like 5 at the time and it shocked you but it was no suprise they basically told you who it was weeks before when Bishoff was there with hall and nash and saying an Icon of wrestling. The only one who was at that point an Icon and not in WCW at the moment was Hogan. you had to be an idiot not to know it was him.

Having always been a DX Fan - I have loved the mini reunions over the years between HHH and HBK.

Back when it was rare for the two to unite under DX, Hunter throws Shawn a DX tshirt in the back and says he has an idea...only to Pedigree him after a classic DX in-ring promo.

led to a great feud, I believe the first real HHH vs HBK singles feud (could be mistaken)...that is my favorite.

...Also Wrestlemania 17 featured a great betrayal by Stone Cold Steve Austin on the fans when he turned heel and aligned himself with McMahon of all people

Awesome thread Blueshirt! One important point that I would like make before I go on to the topic is that Hogan joining NWO or Austin making a deal with Vince are examples of a turn rather than a betrayal. I think what the OP of the topic is looking for is our favorite instance when a wrestler turned on another wrestler rather than a wrestler just turning on the fans.

Now with that out of the way, I would say that my favorite betrayal is Sherri turning on Randy Savage at WrestleMania 7 after Savage lost his match against The Ultimate Warrior. The match itself was pretty awesome with Warrior winning after kicking out of five consecutive top rope elbow drops from Savage. Then seeing that Savage's career was over Sherri turned on Savage because she obviously did not love him and did not want to hang around with a loser. She attacked him while he was laying in the ring and that led to Miss Elizabeth coming down to fight Sherri and reuniting with the man she had always loved. Remember, this came about at a time when the audience was not exactly used to a female manager throwing punches. Elizabeth had never ever got physically involved in Savage's matches and the crowd reaction for this was huge. One of the TOP 5 moments in WWE history.

My honorable mention goes to Evolution turning on Randy Orton after he won the world title at Summerslam. Evolution threw a party to celebrate Oron'ss success and they were celebrating with Orton being up on Batista's shoulder. Triple H was showing the thumbs up sign when suddenly his expression changes and he shows thumbs down and the BAM! Evolution go all out on Randy Orton beating him down to a pulp. I know that this face turn did not work out that well for Randy but this was probably the perfect way for Randy to turn face.

I've a few random ones:-

GAB 2004 Taker buries Bearer in cement.

As someone mentioned earlier, Paul Bearer has stabbed Taker in the back more times than most of us care to remember. Only once however, has the Deadman stabbed Paul Bearer in the back. It's 2004, Taker's been back as The Deadman for little over 3 or 4 months. He's crushed Kane, beaten Booker and now he's being pestered by Paul Heyman and the Dudley Boyz in an attempt to force Taker to work as Heyman's lackey.

How do they do this? By kidnapping Paul Bearer and threatening to bury him alive in cement if Taker refuses to lay down for the Dudleyz in the main event.

Sufficed to say, Taker squashed the Dudleyz and chased Heyman away before he could carry out his threat...... ONLY FOR TAKER TO RELEASE THE CEMENT ANYWAY! Taker justified this by telling Paul that he couldn't afford to have to keep looking out for him all the time, so he'd just take him out himself right there and then.

Paul Heyman betrays Lesnar at SSeries 02

Remember the months and months of Paul Heyman drilling everyone's minds with the thought that Brock Lesnar was The Next Big Thing in wrestling? Remember how Paul was always there at Brock's side, encouraging him to dish out the beatdowns? Remember when Big Show threw Lesnar through the stage and Heyman spent a month telling Lesnar NOT to defend the title against Show?

It's Survivor Series 2002. Big Show vs Brock Lesnar w/ Heyman for the WWE Title. For weeks Heyman has been telling Lesnar that if he faces the Big Show, he will lose the WWE title, because Show is too much for the champion to handle. Match starts, bit of back and forth action, and suddenly Brock begins to dominate, even hitting Show with the F5. The crowd is in shocked awe at the sight, and just as Lesnar goes to make the pin, HEYMAN BLASTS HIM WITH A CHAIR! Lesnar chases Heyman around the ring, slides back in, and gets chokeslammed on the same chair for his troubles, 1, 2, 3 new champion and the crowd is stunned at the betrayal they just witnessed.

I don't think anyone assumed Paul was saying 'If you face Big Show, you will lose the title..... because I will screw you out of it regardless.'

The Hardyz attack Michael Hayes in 1999

I don't even remember the specific details of what happened here, but basically when the Hardyz debuted as a tag team, Michael hayes was their manager. The former Freebird would come down with his cane and watch Team Extreme do it's thing, even tagging alongside them at least once against the Acolytes (where Hayes received a forceful double powerbomb for his troubles and was pinned).

Around the same sort of time, Edge and Christian had decided that they'd had enough of Gangrel telling them what to do, and had decided to split the Brood.

After losing the tag titles to the Acolytes and a number of other losses immediately after, the Hardyz decided to ditch their manager and join...... you guessed it, GANGREL, in order to from the New Brood!

Nothing super amazing about the betrayal, except obviously it kick started the E+C/Hardyz fued that would go on throughout 2000 and 2001, all because of one tag team leaving a stable and another joining it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back