• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Favorite Rocky Movie?

"Cool Guy" Jensen

Undertaker for Champ!
We all know... Rocky is a franchise of movies, grossing a total of more than $1 billion worldwide. It is about a boxer from my hometown of Philadelphia, who goes by the name Rocky Balboa (played by Sylvester Stallone). In the six-movie saga, "The Italian Stallion" has been forced to face a number of obstacles, from the beginning to the end. So, I want to ask, anyone who knows about Rocky or have seen any of the movies, which one was your favorite?

Rocky: Rocky Balboa starts off the movie having been in 64 fights. The undisputed World Heavyweight Champion, Apollo Creed (played by Carl Weathers) gives Balboa a title match. Rocky accepts, and with the help of his former trainer, Mickey Goldmill, he gets ready to fight for the title. In the Philadelphia Spectrum, Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed went the full distance. Despite Mickey trying to convince Rocky to give up, he doesn't and the match ended in a split decision. Balboa became the first person to go all 15 rounds with the champ, Apollo Creed. He also marries his wife, Adrian Pennino(played by Talia Shire).

Rocky II: Apollo Creed demands a rematch against Rocky Balboa, while Balboa tries to retire from boxing and find another profession, by his wife's request. However, he did not go far in school and finds out that he had no other skills besides fighting. This forces Balboa to accept the match, and lose his wife's support. Meanwhile, Adrian gives birth to the couple's first (and only) son. Rocky later regains Adrian's support, and goes on with the fight. This match goes on for another 15-rounds, except this time, with both men down, the ref exercises his 10-count. Balboa, exhausted as a motherfucker, gets up before the 10-count and wins the World Heavyweight Championship.

Rocky III: The backstory going into the 3rd installment of the Rocky saga, was that Rocky had successfully defended his title 10 times. This time, "Clubber Lang" (played by Mr. T), challenges Balboa to a title match. He was a fucking beast in the ring, which really caused "The Mick" to be more than a little scared for Balboa. Before a match, Clubber Lang shoved Mick out of his way (in order to talk trash to Rocky), causing him to go under cardiac arrest. Showing concern for his trainer, he did not perform well in the match with Clubber Lang, leading to a defeat and a title loss in the second round. Unfortunately, Mickey later dies. Apollo Creed (who has apparently found a newfound respect for the former champ), offers to help train Rocky. After a while, it worked, and Rocky would regain "The Eye of the Tiger". Rocky would go on to regain the Heavyweight Title in a second round KO, taking Lang's best blows, but came out triumphant.

Rocky IV: In this one, Apollo Creed comes out of retirement, and agrees to fight Soviet World Champion, Ivan Drago (played by Dolph Lundgren). MAJOR MISTAKE! Ivan Drago would destroy Apollo Creed, but Creed refused to quit. ANOTHER MAJOR MISTAKE! In the second round, Apollo Creed would die from the injuries sustained in the fight. With Balboa feeling guilty about Apollo's death, he challenges Ivan Drago in Moscow, Russia. This forced Rocky to train using natural methods... this was the hardest training that Rocky had ever had to endure. In the match, Drago dominated the earlier moments, that is until a haymaker from Balboa cut Drago just underneath his eye. Using his courage, stamina, and determination, Rocky was able to defeat "The Moscow Monster" after 15 rounds. After the match, Balboa would give one of the most beautiful and heartfelt speeches ever, resulting in a standing ovation from the Moscow crowd.

Rocky V: After his fight with Ivan Drago, it was discovered by doctors that Rocky Balboa was suffering from brain damage, which would cause him to retire. After losing all his money, Rocky started training up-and-coming fighter, Tommy Gunn (played by professional boxer, Tommy Morrison). Gunn becomes tired of "being in Rocky's shadow" and goes to another promoter, George Washington Duke, after he convinces Tommy that Rocky Balboa was holding him back. Rocky Jr. also has some problems adjusting to his new life, with Rocky Sr. later realizing that he may be jeopardizing his relationship with his son. When Tommy Gunn wins the World Heavyweight Championship, the press is not impressed, reporting that he was yet to fight a "real contender", thus not being a "real champion". As a result, Gunn challenges Balboa to a fight. At first, Balboa declines, but when Tommy strikes Paulie (his best friend, played by Burt Young), he accepts. They have a street fight, and Rocky defeats the cocky, young boxer... later punching Duke.

Rocky Balboa: By the time Rocky Balboa came out, Adrian had been dead for four years. When a video game shows Rocky Balboa (in his prime) against Mason Dixon, with Rocky winning in the 13th round... it causes a lot of discussion about what would happen if the match really occured. Inspired with this, Balboa decides to return to the ring. His initial plan was just to fight in small, local fights. However, promoters would convince Balboa to fight Mason Dixon in an exhibition match. Balboa's age was a major factor of the outcome of the match, according to the press. Mason Dixon uses his speed and agility to get the best of Balboa... that is until he injures his hand while punching Rocky. This gives him a better chance a mounting an offense. The ending comes with Dixon getting the win after a split decision. The media would finally look at Mason Dixon as a fighting warrior, while Rocky would show that age is nothing but a number.

Ok... now that I have given a little synopsis on each of the Rocky Movies, I will give my opinion. My favorite Rocky movie would have to be Rocky V. The problems endured with Rocky Jr. added a nice little element to the movie. Something you didn't see in the others. I just took a great liking to the street brawl with Tommy Gunn. I guess it has to do with the fact that it didn't take place in the ring. I really loved this movie, which upsets me that Sylvester Stallone rated this one a 0/10.

To put them in order, I say... Rocky V, Rocky Balboa, Rocky III, Rocky II, Rocky, and then rounding it up would be Rocky IV. Yours?

[QUOTE="Cool Guy" Jensen;1428329] but when Tommy strikes Paulie (his best friend, played by Burt Young), he accepts. They have a street fight, and Rocky defeats the cocky, young boxer... later punching Duke.
[/QUOTE]

Paulie is his brother-in-law

As for my favorite one it used to be Rocky V but as I grew older I realized how bad this one was!! Now its Rocky 1V even though its just a rip-off of the Miracle on Ice from 80 except this time we were on their turf and to avenge Creed's death.

I also used to love Rocky V, but watching it again a year or so ago, and even again recently when Encore showed the first 5 Rocky's in one day, I think it's definitely the worst film in the series. I still enjoy it, but the music being so horrible, and Rocky's son making me cringe with his ridiculousness ("Get him dad, he took my room!") is what keeps the film from passing VI and II as my 4th favorite film from the series (it used to be my 3rd really, with Rocky IV being my 2nd favorite and the 1st Rocky being my least favorite, but that has since changed big time). The Tommy Gunn storyline I didn't mind, and I still LOVE the Mickey scene, but overall... it just doesn't hold up to this day like the other films.

Anyway, here's in the order my favorite to least favorite:

Rocky III
Rocky
Rocky IV
Rocky II
Rocky Balboa
Rocky V

Yep, Rocky III in my favorite. I love everything about it. Clubber Lang being the villian, Hulk Hogan making an appearance, Mickey dying is one of the saddest moments ever, Apollo and Rocky building up such a wonderful relationship, and the 2nd fight between Rocky and Clubber is by far my favorite fight from any of the films. It's just all around an epic fucking movie that I have loved since I was like 5-years-old.

The 1st Rocky is #2 on my list. As I mentioned earlier, it actually used to be my least favorite. I was just a stupid kid who wanted nothing but action. Growing up today though and watching every film again, I fully realized a couple of years ago just how epic the 1st Rocky truly is. It's so beautifully written and acted that you can't help but to admire the film. While it'll never pass #3 as my favorite (which has ALWAYS been my favorite, by the way), I still love this film to death and I'm certain it'll never get old to me.

1. Rocky
2. Rocky Balboa
3. Rocky II
4. Rocky III
5. Rocky IV
6. Rocky V

The original is easily in my top ten favorite movies ever... I still get choked up at the end, no matter how many times I see it. I just think that the first Rocky film had so much passion in it... It's hard to find a film like that where you just feel overwhelmingly compelled to root for this underdog.

Rocky Balboa REALLY surprised me! The thing that I loved about it is that there were no (or little) pop culture references or ties to politics... it's, in my opinion, a brilliant character piece about a former boxing champ in his twilight. Much like The Wrestler, I think this one delivered a solid show and neatly tied everything together.

As far as the rest of the Rocky films go, we were all glad to see Rocky win the title in Rocky II. However, I feel like his first bout with Creed and his last bout with Dixon were much more significant. He may not have come out the victor, but, obviously, that's not the issue.

Rocky III was an entertaining movie, but nothing special to me. Rocky IV, I suppose, was a way for Hollywood to make the Cold War accessible to a different audience. And, Rocky V... Well, at least it built the story for Rocky Balboa to be based on regarding his status and relationship with his son. I saw on IMDB.com that Terry Funk helped choreograph the street fight at the end of Rocky V.

Paulie is his brother-in-law

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was thinking of it as in the first Rocky movie. Paulie was his best friend at first, then he married his sister Adrian... later becoming his brother-in-law. Despite all that... they were still best friends, on top of being brothers-in-law.

Fucking A, a Rocky thread!

Rocky III
Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky Balboa
Rocky V

That is my order.

Rocky III has to be the best of the series. Eye of the Tiger alone makes that movie rock. Also, I love the interaction between Rocky and Apollo Creed (who is my favorite Rocky character). I love how they actually used real boxing techniques in this movie and I love how Rocky changed his boxing skills. Plus, "For all my love slaves out there, Thunderlips is here." That has to be the best line ever in any movie.

My preference regarding the Rocky movies is exactly the same as TKO's

Rocky
Rocky Balboa
II
III
IV
V

I dont really think V is a bad movie, in fact there are parts I really enjoy, its just because of what it had to follow up to, although I dont disagree it is the worst, I actually wouldnt place it much further then IV. I dont know why, but IV just lacks spirit for me, it feels a bit like its all been done before. Though the fight is great fun.

The original Rocky is hands down my favourite movie of all time, as a big fan of movies, that is the one thing I know regarding favourites. I could not name a favourite Horror, a favourite comedy, a favourite Hitchcock movie etc. But I can say without a single doubt that Rocky is my favourite movie. Its one of the few movies I can just watch over and over, and it still never gets old, its a movie that reestablishes why I love it so much everytime I watch it. Its one of the very very few movies where everytime I watch it, the emotion and excitement I felt the first time I saw it is recreated with ease. It never gets dull, even though I know exactly word for word what will happen, I still sit up in suspense as soon as 'Going the distance' starts playing in the final fight.

One of my favourite parts suprisingly, is the credits. As soon as that final image of Rocky and Adrian is gone, and 'Rockys Reward' starts playing, I always sit through the credits, that music just represents personally to me the experience I just went through for the hundredth time. That music, to put it in a very corny sense, is my reward, it represents the magic and sheer delight I experience everytime I watch this incredible movie.

Rocky Balboa is easily my second favourite, I remember seeing it in cinemas with mates who had never seen a Rocky movie, thankfully they kept quiet, but almost all of them hated the movie. In my eyes, one of the two main appeals to Rocky VI (damn right, its Rocky VI) is just the whole nostalgic feeling. And the nostalgia is something only a true Rocky fan can understand, the other appeal didnt hit me until about halfway through the fight between Dixon and Rocky. Before then, it was a good movie, and it was great to see Rocky again, but I wasnt getting that feeling I get whenever I watch the original, the feeling that the other sequels replicate, but to a extremely smaller degree.

Their was one line that hit me in the cinemas, that turned it from a very good movie, to an absolutely fantastic movie for me. And that was at the very beginning of the montage of the fight, when one of the commentators simply says "Welcome to Rockyland".

That line hit me, it made me realise I was watching a Rocky movie, a new Rocky movie!, and not only that, but the most personal one excluding the original, a movie with no villians, with so many memorable scenes like the original. As the fight montage went on, I got that feeling I get from the original, and to a much higher degree then the other sequels, the feeling I got almost matched the original. I was on the edge of my seat again, and I didnt know how it would end. When Rocky went down to his knees from some of the most painful looking punches ive seen in any of the movies, I was on the edge of my seat. I knew he was going to get up, but as I heard Rockys thoughts as he recovered from the damage "it aint about how hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit... Keep moving forward".... As soon as he told himself to get up, I remember vividly, as Rocky stood victoriously as Dixon shit himself, the triumphant music playing, cheers everywhere, I shed a few tears in the cinema, movies rarely touch me like that anymore, and that is the most recent movie that has brought tears for me.

Rocky VI in my eyes is underrated, to me it replicates the magic of the original much much better then the other sequels (i love II and III I should mention), and one of my favourite shots is still that beautiful image of Rocky leaving the arena to cheers, losing the fight, but winning the battle that mattered to him (like in the original), that proud smile as he leaves, making contact with a random fans outstretched hand.

I could go on forever about all the Rocky movies, Rocky Balboa is my favourite movie character (with Adrian not far behind), and Rocky is my favourite movie of all time. I could go into so many moments and what they mean to me personally, but I think ive gone on too long here.

To sum it up, Rocky is the best, with Rocky Balboa a considerate but not too far distance behind it, Rocky II and III a further distance then that, though still great movies.... Rocky IV jogging along a little distance behind, and Rocky V right at the back, but not as far behind as most people think.

Big fan of this series.

Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Rocky III
Rocky V

I love the original because it has the best acting. Although we would find out later that Stallone wasn't acting, but still an iconic role. Burgess Meredith was perfectly cast. They play off each other so well in the film, great tandem.

2 has the best ending IMO, "Yo Adrian, I did it!" - need I say more?

4 has my favorite villain, Drago rules all. Love his catchphrases. "If he dies, he dies." Easily the most fun to watch of all of them, for me anyway.

Balboa was great, I loved it. I said when it was being made, I don't care how good the movie is, if he wins then it sucks. The reason being is that, this one probably was the most realistic of them all. The best fight scenes, the comeback of a retired sports star (it happens all the time), the focus on power instead of speed (a la Tyson), him opening his own restaurant. Plus it tied together all the films really well, the cameos of Spyder and the guys singing on the corner ("doot doot doot do doot doot doot"). The ending was exactly what I wanted which made it perfect in my eyes. If he won it would've been unrealistic, but he went the distance and lost like the series begins. The underdog with a heart and determination. Plus the final scene with him at Adrian's grave was a nice touch.

Rocky III, I really think this is the most overrated Rocky film. Clubber Lang was a crappy opponent, he doesn't have the charisma of Creed or the sheer size of Drago. Mick dies, which sucked. And Thunderlips? Were they fucking kidding......that scene serves almost entirely no purpose. The best part of this movie is the introduction of "Eye Of The Tiger" and the Balboa Statue.......that's really it.

Rocky 5 is a victim of the time it was made. You'd think with this being the first film in the series to boast an actual boxer, it would be realistic and interesting. Sadly, it is a piece of shit from start to finish. Save for the flashback scene of Rocky and Mick in the ring. The acting is awful, Rocky's son is annoying, Stallone is at his worst (yep that bad). And the dialogue is shit........"My ring's outside"........"Let's do it!"...... It's like a bad Nike commercial. The music is awful, full of 90's cheesy dance music. And a whole line of embarassingly lame jumpsuits and pussy earrings. This movie is one of the worst films ever made and without question the worst in the series, the black sheep if you will.

It seems that everyone disliked Rocky V.

Well, I did, too, but I have to admit I liked the premise of the movie: After increasing in fame and stature during each of the first four movies, he went back to his roots in V. That was good, I only wish they had done a better job with the script.

But to answer the original question, my favorite was the first movie. It captured the atmosphere of the eternal loser who gets an improbable chance to break the bonds of hopelessness and defeat that encompass his life. I loved the way Rocky never despaired of his circumstances; he simply accepted his lot in life...... and that was the saddest thing of all. He was aware of how bad off he was but didn't even dream of a way to improve his life.

I read that people like James Caan were trying to win the role of Rocky, but no one could have played it like Stallone. A classic movie.

Rocky IV is my favourite. The whole cold war setting really adds to the tension, and Drago is made to look like the most dominating man ever. The fact that Creed is killed adds real emotion the fight.

"Maybe i cant beat him adrian, maybe all i can do is stand there and take everything he has. But to beat me hes gonna have to kill me. and to kill me hes gonna have to stand face to face with me. and to do that, he has to be willing to die himself"........sends shivers down my spine every time haha!

These are some of my favorite movies and probably the only reason I know Roman Numerals.
Rocky III is my favorite. Clubber Lang is a great nemesis. He is Mike Tyson, but interestingly enough he was before Iron Mike (Rocky III was released in 1982, when Tyson was only 16). Lang was trash talking out of the ring and an animal in the ring, relying on short, power filled bouts. Rocky had better stamina, from training with Apollo and an iron jar so he was able to beat Clubber the second time around. Plus Mickey died. It was a great movie and the movie where Rocky became an action movie, Rocky and Rocky 2 were dramas and Rocky III, well, he was more of a cartoonish character and this continued in the rest of the movies.
Rocky IV is my second favorite but Ivan Drago isn't as good of a villian. He has maybe 5 lines in the whole movie. Don't get me wrong, "If he dies, he dies" is a classic but Lang was more of an antagonist. And while Apollo passing away was sad, Mickey dying was sadder.
So my list is Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky Balboa and then Rocky V(one of my employees was actually in Rocky V in a bit part).

I go back and forth on this like Brett Favre at a retirement convention. Here's ho wI feel right now:

Favorite - Rocky 2

Rocky 2 was brillaint. Perfectly written storyline. The way it just jumps right into the story based on the exact same night, with Apollo and Rocky confronting each other in wheelchairs outside all the way to Rocky going to Apollo's hospital room to ask if he gave him his best, and Rocky simply saying "Thank you" was terrific.

Rocky hadn't shed that loser label, and in fact it got worse in two as Rocky's bad eye hindered him, he got a labor job at a meat factory after being systematically rejected by everyone he interviewed with, got laid off in a tough economy, and divulged the fact that he couldn't read when his commercials went south. All that leading up to the premature birth of his baby and his wife going into a coma?! Yikes! He was poised to figure it all out at the end of Rocky 1, and yet it managed to get worse.

Adrian, on the other hand, transitions from caring girlfriend to scared wife. She never cared if they were rich or famous - she just loved him with all her heart and wanted him to be safe. So Rocky's convictions had to overcome his own doubts as well as his wife's objections.

Apollo, meanwhile, is being tormented by the idea that he fixed the first fight as a show, and is getting hate mail. It's gotten so bad that his ego has taken over and he is intentionally becoming a villain instead of a great fighter just to goad Rocky into the ring. For the first time, Apollo seems vulnerable, and this is confirmed by his manager Tony, who confides in Apollo that he's concerned about a rematch. "I saw you beat that man...and the man just kept coming after you..."

So Rocky takes the rematch, and we see the brilliance of Mickey. He forumlates a plan to train Rocky to fight as a right handed fighter. So while Apollo is preparing for a southpaw again, Rocky is fighting righty to protect the busted eye (the one Mickey had to slice open in Rocky 1) and again mess with Apollo's timing.

And what brings it all together? One word. When his wife tells him to "WIN," that's it. Rocky trains wit reckless abandon, and the fight takes place right in Philly. Rocky is dominated for 12 of the 15 rounds, but as Apollo's fears of not being able to "beat" Rocky as he had every one of his previos opponents, he keeps coming.

The end - the double 10-count - still brings tears to my eyes.

Holy hell, yes. Rocky 2. Best of the series.

Runner up is Rocky 4, with Rockys 1 and 3 tied for third.

Rocky is my favourite by a long shot, for a few reasons really, main one being that Apollo Creed is the best character in the whole series and especially the best when he's playing the antagonist to Rocky's everyman hero. The cocky loudmouth champ who's beaten everyone and is now just picking names out of a hat, whereas Rocky being the bloke who's been picked that you cant help but root for.

He was the most interesting fight for Rocky as he wasnt just brute force like Clubber and Ivan, he just outdid Rocky from bell to bell with his speed and the only way Rocky could beat him was because he was an exceptional punchbag. Plus the ending with it being a split decision was a good one that was believable.

The second film being the second best as Apollo is still the antagonist, but after that he becomes a bit of a joke, Rocky the character just isnt that likeable anymore and his opponents, apart from Mr T's amusing turn are just fucking boring.

Rocky - Hands down, it was the original, it encompassed the American Dream. Apollo Creed, beating all contenders looking for a fighter, up steps Rocky, an relatively unknown, poor boxer from the city. This film is so perfect as it's two main characters offer the perfect personalities, the cocky champ, who has earned the right to be cocky, and the 'worse' fighter who has everything to prove and nothing to lose.

I love it because Rocky doesn't win, but you still feel very high after seeing him lose, it was realistic (minus the horrendous sound effects, but hey thats Rocky), I mean Rocky wasn't supposed to win, he wasn't even supposed to get past the first round, but he proved anything was possible, which built up a fantastic sequel.

I like Rocky IV the most, All of the Rocky movies are gems however.

The thing I liked about Rocky IV was how powerful it was. The way it kept you locked in to the movie was unbelievable. After Apollo was killed by Drago you would be sitting there thinking, "Drago is huge. Will Rocky fight again? Wait of course he will. But will he win? I better keep watching the movie!" I also think that their montage work in this video was like none other. First you have the montage where Rocky is in driving at night in his car, thinking about Apollo's death and Ivan Drago, and the other being when Rocky is in Russia training, you see him training in the snow whereas Drago is training in a gym with High-Tech equipment. Remember too, Rocky was supposed to be killed by Drago, that was what the original plans were. So anything was possible in this movie.

I also happen to like Rocky III, and Rocky Balboa!, but I wont get into that. Who knows? maybe I'll review them one day.

I'd go with Rocky 1 as a legit film and Rocky 3 for fun.

Rocky is the epitome of a feel good movie. My uncle was in his 70s and ahdn't seen it. He watched it and freaking loved it just like I do. There's just something magical about watching a guy like Rocky go from nothing to having a shot at being the best in the world. It's the ultimate underdog movie and it just freaking works. I still scream at Rocky to hit Apollo at the end as I get sucked into it, and I've seen the movie at least 30 times.

Rocky 3 is completely insane. They've just dumped most of the shy Rocky as he's a celebrity now. To be fair though it's 9 years after the first film so they can get away with that. If nothing else, this is great for wrestling fans as Hulk Hogan is in it. It was this film that got him thrown out of Vince Sr.'s WWWF. Also, Mr. T. got famous in this movie so how can you go wrong with that much 80s awesomeness? Throw in EYE OF THE TIGER and it's just great. SOme of the stuff is hilarious too as you have things like Rocky vs. Hogan turning into a total mess with then slamming each other etc. Also the lines in that scene crack me up every time.

Rocky: How much do you think he eats every day?
Rocky's Manager: About 202 pounds.
Ring Announcer: Weighing 202 pounds, Rocky Balboa!

Just a completely over the top and fun as hell movie.

It's a tough choice, but I'll have to go with Rocky III. Clubber Lang was easily Rocky's toughest foe. Mr.T was perfect choice for this role, and he did such a great job at playing this character. In this movie, Rocky had to find himself again, and regain the hunger he once had in the first movie.

Rocky IV would have to be a very close #2 for me. The fight with Ivan Drago was so very emotional for a number of reasons. Rocky was at strange point in his life during this film. He wasn't sure if he could beat Drago, and even his wife was doubting him. Besides the first movie, this is probably the most emotional Rocky film in the series. Plus, it was very cool to see him train in the mountains.

These are my fav. movies. I cant pin point to what one is better but if I have to chose one I am going to go with Rocky Balboa. There was a quote that I use in my life and it really does help me out.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!"

If that doesnt get to you then I dont know what will because that is very insperational to me.
another one that I really like is this one also

"if youre willing to go through all the
battling you got to go through to get where you want to get, whos
got the right to stop you? I mean maybe some of you guys got
something you never finished, something you really want to do,
something you never said to someone, something... and youre told
no, even after you paid your dues? Whos got the right to tell you
that, who? Nobody! Its your right to listen to your gut, it aint
nobodys right to say no after you earned the right to be where you
want to be and do what you want to do!... You know, the older I get
the more things I gotta leave behind, thats life. The only thing
Im asking you guys to leave on the table... is whats right. "

The Rocky series are great american movies and they dont get any better.

I don't want to confuse you with just a list, because I don't think I could properly get my message across. So I made a chart for you.

<-4---1-B-2----3---------------5------------->

1. Rocky IV: Ivan Drago is a goddamn beast. By far my favorite Rocky villain. You almost felt sorry for the dude in the beginning -- everyone was just kind of a dick to him. So he was just like, "You know what? Fuck you guys," and went to TOWN on Apollo Creed. If he dies...he dies.
2. Rocky: The only movie to capture Rocky's charm - the only movie to ever really explore his personality.
3. Balboa: The fight was fan-fucking-tastic, with flashes of Mickey in Rocko's mind. Also, Stallone really took those hits.
4. Rocky 2: Closure with Apollo Creed, great ending.
5. Rocky 3: Clubber Lang didn't really click with me. I mean, he was a tough son-of-a-bitch, and he killed Mickey, which made him a real bastard, but you never really got any of his story.
6. Rocky 5: Seriously, what the fuck?

This is really tough because five of the six movies are five of my favourite films period, with Rocky V being the exception. After some thought my list of the six films looks like this:

Rocky III
Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky Balboa
Rocky IV
Rocky V

Rocky III is my favourite because I personally think it tells the best story as it shows Rocky as the new champion, becoming a legit champion, losing the title, losing his manager, falling into depression, uniting with his old enemy and climbing to the top of the tree again. I thought Mickey passing was really touching and it brought some genuine emotion into the film, similar to Adrian's coma in II. The scene where Mickey passes with Rocky at his side was heartbreaking for me to watch.

Two other excellent features in this film were the characters of Clubber Lang and Apollo Creed. Mr T was simply fantastic as Lang and I consider Lang to be Rocky's second best opponent, behind only Creed himself. After two films of Creed being the bad guy, it was really strange to see him become Rocky's friend, but it worked so well. It was fun to see them working towards the same goal of bringing down Lang. I also loved the way Apollo would use the phrase "Eye of the tiger". It's a phrase I still use in everyday life and the song is still an absolute classic.

I also thought Rocky III was pretty funny in places. As KB mentioned earlier, the Hogan exhibition match was fun to watch, particularly Paulie's intervention with a chair. Paulie was very funny throughout, particularly when Apollo took them to his old hangout where Paulie has some great lines.

So, Rocky III is my favourite but all of the movies (except V) are excellent and there is hardly anything between them at all. Rocky IV may be fifth on the list but that shouldn't take anything away from what a great movie it is.

I'm tied between 3 & 4 for No. 1.

Rocky 3 - It was more Boxing realistic having two matches between Clubber & Rocky. And it had good builds up to both matches with Mikey dying before the first fight and Apollo training him before the 2nd fight. It was a good story of how Rocky lost it all but then regained his glory back all in one film. And the ending with both guys about to punch each other in a still potrait playing to Eye Of The Tiger was an epic ender.

Rocky 4 - Great soundtrack, the training and the highlights of the fight with Drago were epic. However most of the main characters from before not being there to help Rocky like Apollo & Mickey was weird. We were use to them in the movies but it felt lonely without them being there but the movie still managed to pull it off great with or without them.

The rest would be...

Rocky 2
Rocky 1
Rocky 5
Rocky Balboa

2 is my favourite of the series cos it brings more characterisation to the table... You care more for Apollo in this film, you feel his pain and see him more than just an Ali clone... he is a man whose pride has been stung and is in danger of losing all he holds dear from the opening reel... a trait that ultimately leads to his death in Rocky 4...

Rocky in this movie is the most rounded he was in the series... he wasn't driven by anything other than pride and will... he knew he was risking his sight but wanted it enough... until he really does nearly lose Adrian... and he learns the missing part of his "game"...perspective...

The best character in 2 is Mickey... he goes from selfish has been nearly was pug on his own mission of redemption to Rock's dad in those church scenes... The most emotional part of the series is Adrian telling Rocky to win... she could be selfish in that moment but knows he is capable and needs it...

2 bests the first movie... but not by much..

I will always love Rocky 3 as it was one of me and my dads staple movies and introduced me to both Mr. T and Hulk Hogan... the fighting in 3 was especially brutal for its time, having taken the lead from Raging Bull... 4 has the best music of nearly any movie ever and perhaps the most uplifting sequence bar the kids and Rock on the steps with the "Hearts on Fire" mountain medly... but it is pretty lightweight and 5 just plain sucks for changing the original ending of Rocky dying on the street...

Rocky Balboa was an admirable piece of work, to resurrect a character after that length of time and do it justice was no mean feat... I prefered the Rocky winning ending myself... it was somehow more fitting and less obvious than the "full circle" motif... it missed Adrian though... we needed closure with her... and never got it... much like Rocky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back