Favorite Album of the...90s

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
For this one I'm picking one that not only i enjoyed but was a favorite of my enitre family.

HansonMON.jpg

My parents were divorced when I was young and I lived with my mother most of my life. As most single mothers are she was very busy but every night she would take some time and sit in the living room with me, my 2 brothers & my sister and we would listen to a CD. Most of the time it was either this one or Savage Garden because she was picky about what she would let us listen to as kids. So not only does this album have a lot of good memories attatched to it it's also a very good album that I still put in to this day if I just want to relax.​

There's 5 singles so I put them in Spoiler Tags instead of fucking up people's computers.​
[youtube]NHozn0YXAeE[/youtube][youtube]hK5obmgq6u0[/youtube]
[youtube]1rsWf09_PmI[/youtube]
[youtube]32nlxQOe3tw[/youtube][youtube]BEZMOsqfkoQ[/youtube]​

Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg

Aw yeah! The best album of the '90s goes to the then recently departed N.W.A member, Dr. Dre. The album is probably one of the most influencial albums for today's rap artists. Here, Dre introduced Snoop Doggy Dogg as a top dogg (pun intended) in hip hop and established himself as a force to be reckoned with in the rap game. The Chronic also introduced West Coast hip hop artists, including Daz Dillinger, Kurupt, Nate Dogg, and Warren G not to mention the album also established Death Row Records as a domionant hip hop record label during the '90s. Nothin' but a "G" Thang, Let Me Ride, Fuck wit Dre Day were some of the top singles from the album. I know for me, it was one of the first cassette tapes I owned a couple years after it came out. It was one of the original albums that got me into hip hop and probably the sole reason I listen now. Not only the best rap album, but probably the best album for any genre in the '90s.

naveed_cover.jpg

Our Lady Peace - Naveed
Not many of you will be aware of who OLP are but you'd probably know them best as the band who sang the epic theme of Chris Benoit. The first song of the album is one of the songs I listen to most frequently on my iPod. The album was one of the few popular rock albums of early 90's that didn't belong in grunge category.

My favourite album of the 90s is from my favourite band of all time, the legendary Manchester band Oasis. This album is regularly voted in UK music magazines as the greatest of all time, and it was Oasis' first release, meaning it is a staggering achievement.

That album is Definitely Maybe

Oasis-Definitely-Maybe-314772-991.jpg

The album begins with "Rock n Roll Star", one of the iconic Oasis tracks, where the Gallagher brothers announce their intent to the world..."Tonight...I'm a Rock 'n' Roll star!!". They knew where they were going, and that was right to the fucking top!

"Shakermaker" follows, which immediately shows Oasis' Beatles influences, it is a track you could imagine Lennon and McCartney writing. Then comes "Live Forever". What can you say about this track except it is one of the greatest songs ever written. Everything about the track is almost perfect and it remains one of the most popular Oasis songs, guaranteed to make the crowd erupt at any gig, with one of my favourite solos of all time.

"Up In The Sky" follows, which is another solid track before track number 5 hits us...and that is "Columbia". The Oasis song most easy to dance to, the song brings back memories of the Madchester era while combining that with the wall of sound Oasis rock sound we all grew to love. This is probably my 2nd favourite Oasis song of them all.

Track 6. "Supersonic". This has been my favourite song for around 10 years, as I have said many times on these forums. So many memories come flooding back whenever I hear this song, everything about it blows me away every time I hear it. It is by far the most played song on my Ipod, and probably always will be. Great riff, great tune, great vocals.

"Bring It On Down" is good, but not one of the best on the album, and then we hit track 8 which is the iconic "Cigarettes and Alcohol", where Noel Gallagher perfectly captures the thoughts and beliefs of English working-class life. "Is it worth the aggravation to find yourself a job when their's nothing worth working for?" he asks, before answering it with "all I need are cigarettes and alcohol!". That is a major reason why Oasis were so popular. They came from the gutter, they were on the dole and they made it. So many working class Britons started to believe they could do it too, if Noel and Liam could. A classic track.

We then get the less serious track "Digsys Dinner" where Noel pokes fun at his friend Digsy, and while being a joke song it still is extremely popular with Oasis fans. However, track 10 is another absolute gem in "Slide Away", with a vocal performance from Liam Gallagher that both he and Noel believe is his best of all time. A very underrated track, which for some reason was never released as a single but remained in the set list until the band's very last show. Unbelievable guitaring from Noel, and that also makes my top 5 Oasis songs of all time.

We get another less serious acoustic song to finish, "Married With Children" which was recorded in Noel's bedroom in Manchester, and the unpolished final version sounds great. I would have preferred Slide Away to finish the album, as it is more epic but when the whole CD is this damm good, how can you nit-pick at anything? Noel and Liam produced one of the greatest albums of all time, that cannot be denied. A fantastic, classic, genre-defining album that helped Oasis to become the biggest band in the country and one of the biggest in the world.

So far the album has sold more than 12million worldwide, and over a million in America. Mad fer it!

[YOUTUBE]p29MG7wn4F8[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]R2poqYvWsyU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Wm0tjknqKK8[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]1ei6YQchGZg[/YOUTUBE]

Really, a tough choice.

Hamler probably made the best selection with the Chronic album. This album still surprises me on how good it is!

My choice is a little different, but should come as no surprise to anyone that has ever read about my musical preferences.

Weezer_-_Blue_Album.jpg

Yes Weezer's debut, The Blue Album. This is my go to cd. Top to bottom this is what the 90's were all about for me. It gained great exposure with the singles The Sweater Song, Say it Aint So, and Buddy Holly.

In addition to these great songs are Surf Wax America (which happens to be my all time Weezer favorite), No One Else, and My Name is Jonas.

If you like this album, then you must pick up the deluxe version that was released in 2004 w/all of the tracks you enjoyed from the original Blue Album plus some very cool B-Sides and rare tracks.

This one has to go to a soundtrack for me, it's what I think of when I look back on my life during the 90's, it's Space Jam
This movie basically took over my life, I was already a huge Michael Jordan fan but this movie made me become even more obsessed with basketball and my hero MJ. All I ever talked about or thought about was MJ,Charles Barkley,Patrick Ewing,Scotty Pippen. I had my MJ mini basketball hoop and shorts, and Space Jam Posters all over my room, but the thing that did it was the soundtrack. I had that damn soundtrack playing in my room 24/7, it never got old and I never stopped. This album personified my childhood and the 90s
ab1cb4e6929bed73fdbafe275cc093fd.jpg

There were tons of great albums in the 90's. My favorite genre is hip hop and some of the greatest albums of all time came out during the period. "The Chronic" which was mentioned earlier, "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)," not to mention all of Tupac and Biggies albums before their untimely deaths. However, I am going to go with probably the greatest rap album of all time and that is "Illmatic" by Nas.

Illmatic does not have a bad song on it. Shit, it doesn't even have an average song on it. Every track is good to great. It includes classics like "NY State of Mind," "The World is Yours," "Life's a Bitch," and "One Love." The lyrics, beats, everything on Illmatic is top notch. It is definitely the best and one of my favorite albums from the 90's.

The best album of the 90's was Nirvana's Nevermind. It's my favorite of that decade because there is not a single skippable track on it and then there's the huge influence it had on the music industry, changing the world of rock forever overnight. It was one of the first albums I really got into and to this day it remains one of my all time favorites, easily topping all music from the 90's.

My favorite album of the 90's was "It was written" By Nas. This album showed lyrcal technique and the abillity to rap to almost any beat. My favorite songs on this album was "take it in blood" and "if I ruled the world. Because these two songs stuck out to me in "if I ruled the world" it shows that you can do anything you put your mind to and if you try hard enough you can rule the world. And "take it in blood" was also good because it shows what a average african american in those days had to do as a hustler back then by far my favorite album, and still is my favorite artist.
[FYI: I would of put a image of the cover up but im not near my computer im on here via iphone.

2005items433.jpg

This is the first one that came to mind for me, and after reading through the thread and not seeing this one the choice became all the more clear.

A lot of people I know try and tell me 40oz to Freedom is the best, and I'm not really gonna argue against it; but this one was always my favorite, every song on here brings back one memory or another, so many good times to this CD. Definitely my favorite CD of the 90's.

i'm gonna have to say it's a toss up between two albums by the same artist... The two albums are Me Against the World and All Eyez on Me, both by 2pac. Both are classics, but the reason it is a toss up is because All Eyez on Me was a double CD. There are just more songs overall on all eyez on me, but disc for disc me against the world takes it, even if u put all the best from all eyez onto one disc, matw will still take it. So value wise it was alleyezonme but overall quality, no CD comes close to 2pac's me against the world, it was done just before he got thugged out and had the most soul of any of his albums and of most albums in the rap game in general.

Typical that the majority of my albums come from the 90s and I'm supposed to pick my favourite, typical.

Anyway, there are several albums that I like that have been mentioned already (Nevermind, Sublime, The Black Album) And there are several that I love very much, but I guess if I was forced to pick one I guess it would be this one.

Alice-In-Chains-Dirt.jpg

If there is one album I listen to regularly that I don't skip any tracks it would be this one. Its just a very angry album and the first track Them Bones shows this, but it is also a sad album songs like Rooster about Jerry Cantrell's father's experiences in Vietnam and Down In A Hole. Angry Chair and Sickman talking about the effects of drugs (written by Layne Staley, foreshadowing his untimely demise) but songs like Would? are uplifting in a way, despite being written because of death (it was written about Jerry Cantrell's friend Andrew Wood)

Not really a great time for Rock music, Metallica started their decline into being shit, GNR broke up and Grunge came along and killed hair metal. It was not all bad though as in 1990 Megadeth released their metal masterpiece Rust In Peace, so that gets my nod as best album of the 90's. Songs like Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Rust In Piece.... Polaris are all classic thrash songs that are still awesome to this day. Honourable mentions to Use Your Illusion 1&2 although nowhere near the masterpiece that was Appetite they were still good for the most part (too many ballads for my liking), Metallica's Black Album and Alice In Chains Dirt.

Nirvana's Nevermind is definitely a close second, but one album in particular popped into my head upon reading the thread title.
Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg

Freakin' awesome. I really can't say enough about this record. It's pretty hard to explain why it's so damn good, but it is. Hell, this might even be my favorite album ever. It's at least a contender. While I still love the work Radiohead produces today, they will never make anything this good again. Though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Anyway, yeah, I think it's legacy and influence will last for a very long time, and rightfully so. A classic piece of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back