• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fans To Decide Which Ring IMPACT Will Use Moving Forward; Aries, ECIII Speaking Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Fans, this is what you’ve been asking for! You decide which ring we use moving forward, starting at our New York City IMPACT Tapings next week. Do we stay with 4 sides or bring back the 6 sided ring?

VOTE NOW using the poll below. Voting will end at MIDNIGHT on THURSDAY, after this week’s IMPACT.

THIS Friday, a winner will be announced and we will begin using the ring at next week’s IMPACT tapings at the Manhattan Center in New York City (June 25, 26, 27).

This is not a one-off event. The future of IMPACT Wrestling’s ring is in your hands. Which ring do you want to see?

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news/item/5884-Fans-Decide-Which-Ring-do-you-Prefer

--

More concessions to the fan base here.

All determined by the poll in the link above.

All I can say here is... wow.

I've said this many times: it doesn't matter what shape your ring is if you have boring wrestling and bad stories going on inside it. As long as Dixie Carter is one of the focal points of the TV show and still making stupid decision after stupid decision (We're bringing in TOMMY DREAMER!), this is only going to make people smile for a little bit. It's not a step backwards as some people will say, but it's a step to the side: nothing progressive about this, though it might look cool for awhile. Also, nice idea to let the fans pick.

Put a gun to my head and I'll say go back to six sides. It gives TNA a unique look they once had, reminds people of the company's pre-Hogan days, and gives the wrestlers a little more room to work than the 18'x18' ring that they use now.

But ultimately it really couldn't matter less. It took a couple of weeks to get used to TNA transitioning to the square ring, then I never really gave it much thought. If they go back to the hexagon I'll likely react the same way.

What's really cool about this story is that TNA is leaving it completely up to the fans.

Also, on the topic of the fans, I hope if six sides wins the vote that the New York crowd buries the start of the first show with a raucous "We Want 4-Sides" chant, just for the fuck of it.

Six sides! I've always felt it gave TNA an identity. Also, visually it does send a message of "we're different, we're an alternative." Which is something TNA needs to be.and makes them stood out from other wrestling promotions until Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff came in and got rid of it or the Powers to be as Jarrett used to call them'''. it's really TNA's best chance to have a future. Win back some of their fans they lost within the past few years and bring up attendance..

I don't think it matters what the results of the poll end up being. the results are private so TNA can make the end results whatever they want. TNA could have already decided before they put the poll out there, but made this poll so fans THINK they are the ones making the decision.

the ring shouldn't be the reason fans watch or not.

The ring has never really mattered much in the long run. But when you wanna offer a different product, you gotta go with the different look. But more importantly, it's TNA letting it's fanbase decide rather than going with their own ideas and disregarding everything else. I sincerely doubt we'd get a "We Want 4 Sides" chant as opposed to what happened in 2010.

I voted 4 sides for the simple fact that wrestlers from TNA have talked about how the 6 sided one makes bumps worse. I might be off by saying wrestlers but I do think AJ mentioned it at least. I believe there have been a couple more.

I'd rather them not put themselves at bigger risk just so I can see something different ring wise. The shape isn't really a big deal.

Six-sided ring.

I don't think it will make much of an impact, pardon the pun, but TNA could differentiate themselves somewhat from the other promotions and, at this point, different is good.

It's nice that the fans can be involved in a decision like this. Yet it doesn't really change people's perception of TNA (I know they vary). At the end of the day the shape of the ring means very little to the future success of the promotion. Quality stories and matches are what counts. If I were to vote (which I'm not sure I'll do), I'd lean towards a traditional ring.

I voted 4 sides for the simple fact that wrestlers from TNA have talked about how the 6 sided one makes bumps worse. I might be off by saying wrestlers but I do think AJ mentioned it at least. I believe there have been a couple more.

I'd rather them not put themselves at bigger risk just so I can see something different ring wise. The shape isn't really a big deal.

I'm in the same boat. There is nothing that can be done in a six sided ring that can't be accomplished in a four, and while it's unique, it comes at a real physical cost, as Styles spoke to. I get wanting to appear different, but if you are a competing comedy sitcom, you don't turn your show into a horror flick to prove you are different -- you tell different jokes.

TNA needing/wanting to differentiate themselves from their competition is easy -- do what the competition isn't. Provide a better wrestling product. AJ actually touched on that as well in his interview with Jericho in talking about giving the fans everything WWE won't. You are PG? We're gonna be as close to R rated as possible.

That's how you stand out -- with a superior and/or alternative wrestling product. A four sided ring is the traditional format for that which doesn't need to change in order for the company to stand out.

That said, I expect an overwhelming support in returning to the six sided ring here.

Voting six sides just because it looks cooler and was one of the things that set TNA apart.

But it doesn't matter as long as the stories suck and production value continues to be low.

But I will definitely tune in the first episode they use the six sided ring again.

TNA needs to be different fro WWE, but using a 6 sided ring is to different from wrestling period. Not that I am not going to not watch the show or anything.
It looks like a off the wall idea from the get go to me, looks desperate.

I voted for the 6 sided ring. To me it was part of TNA's identity and looked different, making them stand out. It also coincided with the era of TNA that I enjoyed most, so it's just personal opinion why I hope it comes back.

It is important to differentiate your product from the opposition, with a Unique Selling Point. Wrestling has always been in a 4 sided ring, so immediately when seeing the 6 sides for the first time, the viewer is seeing something different. As TNA are starting a rebuilding process now, having lost alot of talent over the last few months, using a unique style ring is a small, but good step of making them different from any other promotion out there.

Also, I am a bit confused as to why the bumps are apparently worse in a 6 sided ring than the regular 4 sided one? There may be a logical answer for this, but either I've missed a post explaining it or I just cannot see what it is. Can someone explain this?

Jesus Christ, people. Not EVERY move TNA makes is meant to revolutionize the entire genre of professional wrestling. TNA knows this won't do it, you know it won't happen, so does everyone else. It's just one single element that they wanna improve on to either please their fans and show us that they're going back to their roots, OR to pick 4 sides regardless of what we do and shut us up.

Either way, I voted 6 sides because I like the way it looks. Don't care if it hurts the wrestlers more, I'm not a wrestler. Go nuts.

Next step, improve the product. One at a time. It's nice to let us choose, too. PR, PR, PR.

I voted to keep the 4 sided ring as it is.

It's just a ring. To me the 6 sided ring is the most overrated thing among TNA fans. It's the talent in the ring that makes a product, not the ring.

My favorite TNA match of all time was AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels vs Samoa Joe triple threat from Unbreakable 2005. That match could have been held in a 6 sided, 4 sided, 2 sided, 1 sided or no sided ring, it would still be awesome.

It's the talent. Not the ring.

The worst match I have ever seen inside the 6 sided ring was Kevin Nash vs Mick Foley. Nuff's said.

That 6 sided ring has no magical powers.

I voted to keep the 4 sided ring as it is.

It's just a ring. To me the 6 sided ring is the most overrated thing among TNA fans. It's the talent in the ring that makes a product, not the ring.

My favorite TNA match of all time was AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels vs Samoa Joe triple threat from Unbreakable 2005. That match could have been held in a 6 sided, 4 sided, 2 sided, 1 sided or no sided ring, it would still be awesome.

It's the talent. Not the ring.

The worst match I have ever seen inside the 6 sided ring was Kevin Nash vs Mick Foley. Nuff's said.

That 6 sided ring has no magical powers.

Can we stop pretending like ths is SUPPOSED to make something special? It's not. Hellooooooo, it's a way for TNA to drum up their New York tapings. If they get the six sides back, the ratings might increase since some people might tune in to see it, PLUS it's in New York.

Smart move.

Can we stop pretending like ths is SUPPOSED to make something special? It's not. Hellooooooo, it's a way for TNA to drum up their New York tapings. If they get the six sides back, the ratings might increase since some people might tune in to see it, PLUS it's in New York.

Smart move.

Ratings are not going to increase simply for a ring change. I don't buy that at all.

‏@AustinAries
What's wrong with wrestling? Letting people who've never done it, and never put their bodies on the line, run the show. #DoesntWork #4sides

Guess A Double isn't a fan then.

I had to vote 6-sides. Characters and storylines are very rarely unique so TNA cannot differentiate themselves from the WWe in that respect. They have moved away from signing exWWe guys (many of whom were obviously just there for the paycheck) so they don't have the recognizable faces to hold new viewers attentions. From an in-ring standpoint (rightly or wrongly) the general consensus was that the performances were more memorable prior to Hulk bringing back the square ring. As to the ring being more harsh to the wrestlers... maybe it's my age but I don't recall performers being out injured as much back when.

To be an alternative, you need to look like an alternative. 6 sides is different - and things like Ultimate X, 6 sides of steel, KotM look WAY better than any 4 side variable. Much better than looking like SmackDown with a smaller ring.

Again, I completely agree with Aries. And attitudes like the one Zeven just posted are exactly what you shouldn't be seeing out of the fan base. "Oh, it's not my body on the line, so who cares if that guy dies or ends up breaking his body in half for my entertainment?" Oh, I dunno... the fans who want to continue to watch him perform and not risk more serious injury as a result of poor decisions being made?

Again, wrestling as a whole is known for it's four-sided ring. The ring itself is safer and easier to take bumps in, and bumps are what ultimately lead to long-term injury and debilitating scenarios.

In being an alternative, your goal should be to provide a different wrestling product, and that simply means offering the fans a product WITHIN that four-sided ring that isn't being offered by WWE. If WWE are running shows, for example, dominated by heavyweights, then give the fans cruiserweights who perform at twice the speed. Isn't this how the X Division — the division that put TNA on the map — was born?

I'm sorry, but while a six-sided ring looks different, it says nothing of the product itself. It's lipstick on a pig if your actual product is still not an alternative, rather a lite version of what already exists. If you are in a market that Budweiser dominates the sales in, it's probably best not to offer Coors as an alternative product. It's the same god damned product. You aren't going to sway all those Budweiser-loyal customers to start buying your can because you shape it differently. If you're Brooklyn Brewery, however, and you are now offering a stout, or an IPA or some other style of brew that isn't a light-colored Lager, you might have a leg to stand on.

Guess A Double isn't a fan then.

I had to vote 6-sides. Characters and storylines are very rarely unique so TNA cannot differentiate themselves from the WWe in that respect. They have moved away from signing exWWe guys (many of whom were obviously just there for the paycheck) so they don't have the recognizable faces to hold new viewers attentions. From an in-ring standpoint (rightly or wrongly) the general consensus was that the performances were more memorable prior to Hulk bringing back the square ring. As to the ring being more harsh to the wrestlers... maybe it's my age but I don't recall performers being out injured as much back when.

To be an alternative, you need to look like an alternative. 6 sides is different - and things like Ultimate X, 6 sides of steel, KotM look WAY better than any 4 side variable. Much better than looking like SmackDown with a smaller ring.

Because they tried to be Smackdown, or RAW. I'm not sure you'd feel this way if the product was closer to 2005-2007 TNA, especially with the push and air time the X Division talent got in that span, where you were getting longer wrestling matches and better wrestling story lines based on, you know, wrestling, and far less Aces & Eights and Brooke Hogan and the like.

Because they tried to be Smackdown, or RAW. I'm not sure you'd feel this way if the product was closer to 2005-2007 TNA, especially with the push and air time the X Division talent got in that span, where you were getting longer wrestling matches and better wrestling story lines based on, you know, wrestling, and far less Aces & Eights and Brooke Hogan and the like.

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree - a large reason those matches looked as good as the did was because of the pluses the 6 sided ring provides. Action is more 3 dimensional, the ropes are tauter and gimmick bouts look vastly better aesthetically.

Of course, if it comes down to the guys and gals health or the ring, I'd put A Double et al first... but this is 2014! Am I really to believe that a 6 sided ring cannot be as safe as a 4 sided ring? The problem with the original version was that it was a doctored 4 (they stuck two isosceles triangles to the sides) and it was the joins were there was little give. Build it from scratch, remove that issue, protect your employees.

Edit: I see A Double is doing some serious back tracking on Twitter - wonder has he had a call from head office?

Its a ring, it doesn't fix anything, it doesn't solve anything and it ultimately doesn't matter if its 4 sides, 6 sides, 8 sides or 16 sides, if your product sucks then the ring isn't going to fix that(for the record I'm not saying TNA sucks, its just a generalization).

When it comes down to it there is only 2 questions that need to be asked:

1) Is the ring safe?
2) Is there any benefits from changing the ring geometry?

From reading some comments apparently the likes of AJ has said the 6 side ring makes bumps more stiff which in theory could cause more health problems in the long run but with that said TNA had the 6 sided ring for years and I don't recall any issues that would make me think there's anything wrong with the ring itself (I see Mexican promotions using the 6 sided ring all the time). In regards to the second question the only benefit I see from a six sided ring is it's uniqueness, its something simple that sets TNA apart from other American promotions which is only a good thing in the long run.

All in all unless the 6 sided ring is unsafe and actually takes years off of wrestlers health and careers I would vote to bring it back, just because it's unique and gives the company a different feel on first glance.

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree - a large reason those matches looked as good as the did was because of the pluses the 6 sided ring provides. Action is more 3 dimensional, the ropes are tauter and gimmick bouts look vastly better aesthetically.

Of course, if it comes down to the guys and gals health or the ring, I'd put A Double et al first... but this is 2014! Am I really to believe that a 6 sided ring cannot be as safe as a 4 sided ring? The problem with the original version was that it was a doctored 4 (they stuck two isosceles triangles to the sides) and it was the joins were there was little give. Build it from scratch, remove that issue, protect your employees.

Edit: I see A Double is doing some serious back tracking on Twitter - wonder has he had a call from head office?

Maybe, but he's doing a great job of explaining his original tweet:

@AustinAries: For those curious, I find #6sides to be far less forgiving on the body and harder to maneuver around, especially on the top rope. #4sides​

Those are the same complaints AJ and others have voiced. Styles specifically referred to having to stand "bow-legged", I believe, when trying top rope spots, which is why he said he went with his spring board off the ropes themselves, and not off the turnbuckles where the angle isn't 45°, instead much more drastic (making foot placement awkward).

As to the forgiveness of the ring, you can actually hear it. Listen to the same bump taken in a four-sided ring versus a six and you'll hear the give in the four that you won't in a six. It's a physics thing where the center of the ring of a four-sided design has less tension from the pull coming from each corner. With six, it's more taut, and as a result less forgiving, making bumps hurt more because the body takes the full brunt with less bounce back.

Maybe, but he's doing a great job of explaining his original tweet:

@AustinAries: For those curious, I find #6sides to be far less forgiving on the body and harder to maneuver around, especially on the top rope. #4sides​

Those are the same complaints AJ and others have voiced. Styles specifically referred to having to stand "bow-legged", I believe, when trying top rope spots, which is why he said he went with his spring board off the ropes themselves, and not off the turnbuckles where the angle isn't 45°, instead much more drastic (making foot placement awkward).

As to the forgiveness of the ring, you can actually hear it. Listen to the same bump taken in a four-sided ring versus a six and you'll hear the give in the four that you won't in a six. It's a physics thing where the center of the ring of a four-sided design has less tension from the pull coming from each corner. With six, it's more taut, and as a result less forgiving, making bumps hurt more because the body takes the full brunt with less bounce back.

@AustinAries 37m
Please don't misinterpret #6sides as unsafe or dangerous. Decision makers at @IMPACTWRESTLING would never put us in that position. #4sides

That's major back tracking.

To my knowledge, it wasn't a physics thing. It was simply because they just added onto the existing four sided structure which had the detriment of two sides effectively being ring apron hardness. Theoretically, if a six sided was created from scratch with only the actual ring apron hard - the ring should have no adverse affect on the wrestlers.

As to the corners; yes, it was often apparent that they were tougher for balance... but adversely using the actual ropes was easier as they were more taut than they would be on a 4 side set up and, therefore, provided a more stable platform.

It continues to amaze me just how much discussion the 4 versus 6 sided ring has generated and continues to generate, when at the end of the day, it's totally irrelevant. Without being perceived as being negative, it's safe to say that TNA faces far greater challenges and much more significant issues than the configuration of their ring assembly. Even ignoring the backstage, behind the scenes matters which we consistently read about, the in ring product is currently lacking in my opinion and if steps are not taken to address them, the number of sides on their ring won't matter at all.

When I used to enjoy TNA, I saw it as a viable alternative to WWE, something I could enjoy in addition to, as opposed to instead of, WWE. It had an identity, a philosophy, which could attract fans if they had stayed the course and ran with it. A strong Knockouts division. A talented and unique X-division. Plenty of homegrown or lesser known talents who were becoming more household names amongst the wrestling faithful. It was unique and entertaining not because of the goofy six sides ring,but rather, because of the in ring product.

Unfortunately everything changed, and TNA has lost me as a viewer, and frankly I'm not sure if they will ever get me back. But I can assure you if I ever begin to tune in even semi regularly again, it won't be because of the gimmicky ring, it will be because they go back to basics to find what they once were.

What may get me interested again? Presenting a product different than the other promotions, with great storylines and talented performers. Not endless factions. Not perpetual authority battles. Not twitter wars between a non wrestling heel authority figure and a guy a decade or more past his prime. Not reaching back to guys like Devon Dudley. Not Willow or a bunch of carnies. And certainly not the return to a six sided ring.

Let's see the product return to where it was and where it could be again. And then, people won't even notice what ring configuration is being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back