• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fans picking the All Star Game

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Should we? Really, we are idiots. Well, not me, its you, the general masses. The same people that DID pick Allen Iverson to the All Star Game.

All Star Games, no matter what the sport, are for the fans. I get that. But it must be an honour for a player to get that chance to be considered an All Star.

But because it is the fans, there have been a few injustices in these selections.

A.) Players make it because of name value. I am not sure if this happens because fans are just looking to put people on the roster, so they choose players they recognize, thus picking undeserving players, or if they are fans of a player no matter how bad they are. They might have been former greats, like Iverson, but now are just chumps, who still get the sections.

B>) Fans try to get themselves over. A few years ago, there was a Canuck, his name was Rory Fitzpatrick, and he was the third most voted for player in the NHL All Star team for the West's Defensemen. To say he wasn't the best player in league is an understatement, to say he didn't deserve to be in the All Star by the defined status quo was also true. But a fan in New york State decided he was going to get the homegrown player into the game by a massive internet voting scheme. It almost worked, but he failed to make it in. Still though, It almost happened.

So should fans be able to pick who All Stars are?

The All-Star game is for the fans so I think that they should have some say in who is represented, but within reason, and I have an idea that may work.

The fans still get to vote, but the league only releases a certain number of players for the fans to vote for. The players chosen are based on the season they are having so that whoever the fans vote for from that group is atleast somewhat deserving of playing in the game.

Another idea is for the coaches to pick the whole All-Star team and then release the roster so the fans can vote the starting lineup for the team. Both ideas give the league some control while also giving the fans a role in the game. Let's face it, fans watch the game and provide the league with money so giving them a say in an All-Star game is important, but there are ways to ensure that the players chosen are actually deserving to be there.

One thing all of these leagues should do (and I know the NBA does this) is simply don't list players who either haven't played very much or don't log any significant amount of time per game.

If they are injured, have a lesser role, inactive, etc, take them off the ballot.

Now the question I pose is this, if you were to take away the fan voting or even reduce it, what other factor do you put in with it?

Coaches? Media? Other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back