• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fandango's Origins

NegativeFeedback

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Here is a quote from this interesting article about Fandango: http://tjrwrestling.com/articles/a-matter-of-character-fandango--2

They could tie Fandango in with Dr. Shelby, and have the good Doctor come back to check on the progress of another one of his anger management patients (the one we didn’t know about). Through that we can find out that Fandango has a serious anger management issue, and would oft get into brawls and has been charged with aggravated assault and battery on multiple occasions. With the help of Dr. Shelby, Fandango found that Ballroom Dancing was a good way to release energy and tension, and calmed the normally angry and confrontational Fandango, even beginning a stabilizing relationship with his dance partner. Dancing became an obsession. After a series of incidents at competitions where he assaulted judges and other competitors who insulted his dancing, Dr. Shelby used his new relationship with WWE to get Fandango a job and advised him to channel his aggression and his deep-seeded desire to be violent as a WWE superstar.

In this scenario, Fandango is a bit of a sociopath who is prone to obsession and anger. He likes to hurt people and dances partly because he is obsessed with the artistry of it, and partly to dare people to tell him he’s not very good so he can rip their heads off. In this case, the dancing wouldn’t just be a gimmick; it would be part of a fully fleshed out character.

I think that's a great idea. It would make him really stand out as more than just a gimmicky wrestler. Plus, it would tone down the metrosexual aspects of his character that some people seem to hate.

He's a angry sociopath who dances to calm himself down, but snaps at any given moment so he joined WWE to put that aggression to good use. That sounds much better than a metrosexual dancer joining WWE just for the hell of it.

What do you guys think?

Which would mean he could get a tag team title shot v Hell No. His partner would be R-Truth.

I've read John Canton for years, but all of his hangers-on at TJR are clearly just friends of his who are literate enough to make their point clear.

The metrosexual elements that people hate should stay, first and foremost. Taking away that would be like taking away Jack Swagger's bigotry or Dolph Ziggler's conceitedness. Secondly, I don't need my gimmick wrestlers to have a backstory beyond "sadistic ballroom dancer" or "zombie biker." Fandango doesn't need any pathos, especially so early in his run. Thirdly, Dr. Shelby can be retired now. He served his purpose and now he's gone. If he makes a cameo here or there, fine. WWE doesn't need a resident psychiatrist/psychologist/counselor/social worker/etc. I mean, they probably do, but not on-screen. It's an unnecessary role, especially given the nature of the programming. Every character in WWE is messed-up in the head.

To quote Mr. Horse, "no sir, I don't like it."

Thirdly, Dr. Shelby can be retired now. He served his purpose and now he's gone. If he makes a cameo here or there, fine. WWE doesn't need a resident psychiatrist/psychologist/counselor/social worker/etc. I mean, they probably do, but not on-screen. It's an unnecessary role, especially given the nature of the programming. Every character in WWE is messed-up in the head.

When you put it that way, I actually like the idea of Dr. Shelby even more! It's not like they will be writing the show around Dr. Shelby. He'll just be a character that appears from time to time giving counsel to the wrestlers that need it. And the fact is, a lot of segments are very entertaining.

But the point isn't to get Shelby over, it's to get Fandango over. Fandango will be more than just a dancer. He'll have a mean streak and aggression that will definitely translate into getting him more over.

When you put it that way, I actually like the idea of Dr. Shelby even more! It's not like they will be writing the show around Dr. Shelby. He'll just be a character that appears from time to time giving counsel to the wrestlers that need it. And the fact is, a lot of segments are very entertaining.

But the point isn't to get Shelby over, it's to get Fandango over. Fandango will be more than just a dancer. He'll have a mean streak and aggression that will definitely translate into getting him more over.

I wasn't saying it wouldn't work, I just don't like it. My avatar tried being a shrink to his locker room for a while, and, aside from the initial mystery, it went nowhere. Most of Dr. Shelby's segments were entertaining, sure, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Like I said, bring him in on occasion, but anything more than about a half dozen times a year will make people fatigue on the character.

Fandango is over. He'll get more over once he starts to wrestle and develop naturally over time. But for a guy who has effectively done nothing, he is over like rover. Push it too hard and too fast, and he'll fall by the wayside. There's no reason to use a gimmick to sell a gimmick. He's a sadistic ballroom dancer. That's fine for now.

And again, everything I say is IMO. I enjoy agreeing to disagree. WZ and life in general would suck ass if everyone thought the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back