FACE OFF SERIES aj styles vs shawn michaels

who is the best

• shawn michaels

• aj styles

• equal

Results are only viewable after voting.

MINISTRYrising

Championship Contender
ok this is another face off as normal two wrestlers or two tag teams will face off to find out who is the best. this time it is the phenominal aj styles vs the heart break kid shawn michaels. both men have been very successful during there carreers winning many titles. also both men have been the face of there respective companys at some point. but which one is better it's up to you.

This match up is not fair to Styles at all. Yes, Styles has been the face of TNA. Shawn Michaels is one of the all time faces of WWE. Up there with SCSA, The Rock, The Undertaker, HHH, etc. In short its like comparing the face of The New York Yankees to the face of The Norfolk Tides. Its not the same level, which sucks because A.J is truly phenomenal, but Shawn wins this by a mile. Sweet Chin Music at the 22minute mark.

now i know this is ironic considering what my profile name is, but i would lean towards aj styles, just a little bit more , dont get me wrong i respect shawn michaels probably more than any other wrestler in the history of the business, but aj styles is extremely innovative always adapting to differnt in ring styles whether hes facing kurt angle or samoa joe or sting, aj styles is so similar to hbk in almost every aspect, but while hbk not only has the longevity and experience to back it up, aj can hit big moves when you least expect it, no disrespect to hbk, unless it was a two out of three falls match or an iron man match, i see aj catching hbk by suprise and notching the win

Did someone just vote for AJ Styles? REALLY?

Sorry this match is about as 1 sided as it gets. Sure, AJ is a fantastic performer but to suggest he is in Michaels league in any other facet is just asinine. I like AJ a lot but he lacks charisma, lacks character and as good as he is in the ring he isn't as good as HBK, not by a long shot and he never will be.

AJ puts up a good fight but ultimately falls victim to the showstopper.

Did someone just vote for AJ Styles? REALLY?

Sorry this match is about as 1 sided as it gets. Sure, AJ is a fantastic performer but to suggest he is in Michaels league in any other facet is just asinine. I like AJ a lot but he lacks charisma, lacks character and as good as he is in the ring he isn't as good as HBK, not by a long shot and he never will be.

AJ puts up a good fight but ultimately falls victim to the showstopper.

come on you cant really expect hbk to win a one on one match with someone with the skills of aj styles, it dosent matter how much charisma he has, which by the the way is alot more then most people give him credit for, aj is unpredictable, even against someone he has faced multiple times, hbk would put up a hell of a fight but come on, aj has just as much in-ring skills as hbk how can you not take aj as a serious threat, you would be an idiot to underestimate anybody at anytime

come on you cant really expect hbk to win a one on one match with someone with the skills of aj styles, it dosent matter how much charisma he has, which by the the way is alot more then most people give him credit for, aj is unpredictable, even against someone he has faced multiple times, hbk would put up a hell of a fight but come on, aj has just as much in-ring skills as hbk how can you not take aj as a serious threat, you would be an idiot to underestimate anybody at anytime

In wrestling outside variables like charisma and character mean a hell of a lot more in a match than in ring skill, I'll tell you that much, why the hell do you think Hogan won almost every night? This isn't a shoot fight, this is a pro wrestling match. I'll never discredit that AJ isn't a great wrestler and storyteller but come on, Michaels tells a better story in the ring than Shakespeare tells plays. A great match yes but its not even debatable to think AJ has a shot here.

They aren't in the same league and there is no real argument that can ever be made to make it even SEEM like they are on the same level.

Michaels can beat AJ and his meat at the same time.

In wrestling outside variables like charisma and character mean a hell of a lot more in a match than in ring skill, I'll tell you that much, why the hell do you think Hogan won almost every night? This isn't a shoot fight, this is a pro wrestling match. I'll never discredit that AJ isn't a great wrestler and storyteller but come on, Michaels tells a better story in the ring than Shakespeare tells plays. A great match yes but its not even debatable to think AJ has a shot here.

They aren't in the same league and there is no real argument that can ever be made to make it even SEEM like they are on the same level.

Michaels can beat AJ and his meat at the same time.

Come on im not saying that they arent important factors, sure in those categories if thats what in-ring wrestling amounts to, hbk would win hands down, but you cant exclude everything else, aj can be a legit threat to anyone at anytime, and yes hbk is one of the all time greatest, period, but to discount aj without even seriously considering aj as a threat, hbk would never underestimate anyone, no matter who they were, he gave it his all every single match, no matter who he was facing, but aj can perform just as well, its just he hasn't been in professional wrestling as long as hbk, but aj has been wrestling for many years before TNA opened, he has just has much experience, just not in the big leagues like WWE

Come on im not saying that they arent important factors, sure in those categories if thats what in-ring wrestling amounts to, hbk would win hands down, but you cant exclude everything else, aj can be a legit threat to anyone at anytime, and yes hbk is one of the all time greatest, period, but to discount aj without even seriously considering aj as a threat, hbk would never underestimate anyone, no matter who they were, he gave it his all every single match, no matter who he was facing, but aj can perform just as well, its just he hasn't been in professional wrestling as long as hbk, but aj has been wrestling for many years before TNA opened, he has just has much experience, just not in the big leagues like WWE

The idea of the thread is who would win a match between AJ Styles and HBK and I think HBK is simply better than AJ Styles. The match is very one sided and this has nothing to do with AJ never wrestling in the WWE or that he hasn't been wrestling as long.

I think AJ vs. Michaels would be a fantastic match but you are talking like this is an MMA fight or something, not a pro wrestling match. It's not a knock against AJ's skills in the ring, or how good he is I'm just being realistic. Would AJ give a great match and hang with Michaels? Yes. Would there be points where it looks like AJ could win? Yes. Would AJ and Michaels give everything they have and have the crowd on its feet the whole match? You bet. Would AJ be booked in a dream match scenario to go over HBK? Not at all unless the match was booked by Dixie Carter or a TNA fanboy.

The idea of the thread is who would win a match between AJ Styles and HBK and I think HBK is simply better than AJ Styles. The match is very one sided and this has nothing to do with AJ never wrestling in the WWE or that he hasn't been wrestling as long.

I think AJ vs. Michaels would be a fantastic match but you are talking like this is an MMA fight or something, not a pro wrestling match. It's not a knock against AJ's skills in the ring, or how good he is I'm just being realistic. Would AJ give a great match and hang with Michaels? Yes. Would there be points where it looks like AJ could win? Yes. Would AJ and Michaels give everything they have and have the crowd on its feet the whole match? You bet. Would AJ be booked in a dream match scenario to go over HBK? Not at all unless the match was booked by Dixie Carter or a TNA fanboy.

come on you arent even really proving anything, come i think out of everyone hbk has faced during his legendary career, aj styles would be his toughest challenge, because aj is pretty much a younger version of himself, hbk always puts his body on the line, and now, almost two decades later, he is feeling the effects, aj puts his body on line most matches too, but it can hang with the best when it comes to almost any style of wrestling, aj would use hbks risk-taking to his advantage and captilize, just like anyone would, im not knocking hbk or wwe at all, its just that im being realistic about aj's chances, would hbk, probably, but aj would take hbk to the limit and capitilize on hbks mistakes, and vice-versa, come you cant tell me aj wouldnt have the slightest chance, upsets happen all the time, remember when the 1-2-3 kid upset razor ramon, everyone was shocked because of how a rising star like razor ramon could lose to a nobody like the 1-2-3 kid

If we are talking about total package (in ring, promos, marketability,) than the answer is shawn micheals by a mile.

But if we are just talking a one on one match, I have to give the edge to styles. if you measure the physical attributes, they are about the same speed, HBK has a slight endurance advantage, and the power advantage goes to styles.

Where I feel styles really has an advantage is his move-set. A.J. has alot more high impact moves (powerbomb, torture rack bomb) in his arsenal than HBK does and would be able to cause alot more damage. Normally against a stronger opponent, HBK would be able to survive the match long enough for his opponent run out of gas and hit the superkick, but with A.J.'s endurance I don't think that would work. I think that would end up being the deciding factor in the match.

come on you arent even really proving anything, come i think out of everyone hbk has faced during his legendary career, aj styles would be his toughest challenge, because aj is pretty much a younger version of himself, hbk always puts his body on the line, and now, almost two decades later, he is feeling the effects, aj puts his body on line most matches too, but it can hang with the best when it comes to almost any style of wrestling, aj would use hbks risk-taking to his advantage and captilize, just like anyone would, im not knocking hbk or wwe at all, its just that im being realistic about aj's chances, would hbk, probably, but aj would take hbk to the limit and capitilize on hbks mistakes, and vice-versa, come you cant tell me aj wouldnt have the slightest chance, upsets happen all the time, remember when the 1-2-3 kid upset razor ramon, everyone was shocked because of how a rising star like razor ramon could lose to a nobody like the 1-2-3 kid

I usually wouldn't say this but for the love of god use a period once in a while, these posts are unbelievably difficult to read.

Razor Ramon and the 1-2-3 Kid is a completely different animal than HBK vs. AJ Styles. The Kid defeating Razor was a way to show the audience that "anything can happen in the WWF", to make a new star and to make Razor a baby face. AJ vs. HBK. However, this is a one off dream match that would never happen again. Now if they were having a feud or a program together it would be a different situation but in this situation it's not like that at all.

In a dream match scenario I don't see AJ winning this one, I just don't. I understand you are trying to book the match to show how AJ could win by capitalizing on HBK's mistake but I would say its much more plausible for it to be the other way around. After HBK came back he was a lot smarter in the ring than he was before his back injury. Although he took high risks, he simply didn't take as many, he would take a few in a match but not tons like he did earlier. AJ on the other hand takes more risks than he should which makes it more reasonable for him to be the one to make a high risk mistake and for HBK to capitalize on it. You can't really use the high risk argument in AJ's favor because it's much more likely to happen the other way.

In a dream match it more/less comes down to who is the bigger star. HBK is the bigger star, therefore he would probably win. It's not that AJ isn't good enough to beat HBK, I'm just saying you are comparing apples in oranges.

For example if AJ was in WWE in lets say 2006 and had a feud with HBK chances are AJ is taking the win because it makes more sense for him to do so. The simple truth is this. Even though AJ is amazing in the ring (he truly is phenomenal) he isn't a WWE guy, he's a TNA guy. Now that may sound like an unfair argument to make but its a realistic one as well. It would be like Bret Hart defeating Ric Flair in 1983. Sure, Bret is the biggest star in Stampede wrestling, but Flair is the biggest star in the world (outside of Hogan) so no one would ever believe Bret would beat Ric Flair in that situation. Its not just about the talent, its also about the situation the match takes place in.

I usually wouldn't say this but for the love of god use a period once in a while, these posts are unbelievably difficult to read.

Razor Ramon and the 1-2-3 Kid is a completely different animal than HBK vs. AJ Styles. The Kid defeating Razor was a way to show the audience that "anything can happen in the WWF", to make a new star and to make Razor a baby face. AJ vs. HBK. However, this is a one off dream match that would never happen again. Now if they were having a feud or a program together it would be a different situation but in this situation it's not like that at all.

In a dream match scenario I don't see AJ winning this one, I just don't. I understand you are trying to book the match to show how AJ could win by capitalizing on HBK's mistake but I would say its much more plausible for it to be the other way around. After HBK came back he was a lot smarter in the ring than he was before his back injury. Although he took high risks, he simply didn't take as many, he would take a few in a match but not tons like he did earlier. AJ on the other hand takes more risks than he should which makes it more reasonable for him to be the one to make a high risk mistake and for HBK to capitalize on it. You can't really use the high risk argument in AJ's favor because it's much more likely to happen the other way.

In a dream match it more/less comes down to who is the bigger star. HBK is the bigger star, therefore he would probably win. It's not that AJ isn't good enough to beat HBK, I'm just saying you are comparing apples in oranges.

For example if AJ was in WWE in lets say 2006 and had a feud with HBK chances are AJ is taking the win because it makes more sense for him to do so. The simple truth is this. Even though AJ is amazing in the ring (he truly is phenomenal) he isn't a WWE guy, he's a TNA guy. Now that may sound like an unfair argument to make but its a realistic one as well. It would be like Bret Hart defeating Ric Flair in 1983. Sure, Bret is the biggest star in Stampede wrestling, but Flair is the biggest star in the world (outside of Hogan) so no one would ever believe Bret would beat Ric Flair in that situation. Its not just about the talent, its also about the situation the match takes place in.

I understand what you are saying about hbk, but it seems like your main focus is hbks star power.Which is pretty much unrivaled, even to this day, but imagine hbk vs aj styles back before either were the stars they were today, back in their prime. Both had to bust their asses off to get where they are today, and their accomplishments speak from themselves.But you cant just use star power as your main argument over who would win, because even legends like hbk,triple h, the rock, undertaker, they all had to put over people, even they have massive star power, because, they are paving way for the next generation of superstars. I already acknowledged hbk and his legendary status, but you cant just rule out aj styles based on comparisons of star power.

I understand what you are saying about hbk, but it seems like your main focus is hbks star power.Which is pretty much unrivaled, even to this day, but imagine hbk vs aj styles back before either were the stars they were today, back in their prime. Both had to bust their asses off to get where they are today, and their accomplishments speak from themselves.But you cant just use star power as your main argument over who would win, because even legends like hbk,triple h, the rock, undertaker, they all had to put over people, even they have massive star power, because, they are paving way for the next generation of superstars. I already acknowledged hbk and his legendary status, but you cant just rule out aj styles based on comparisons of star power.

Star power is one reason yes but far from the only reason. My honest opinion, there is nothing AJ Styles can do that HBK can't, and usually HBK does it better. HBK is a better wrestler, better storyteller, better everything. All AJ has over HBK is his high spots are more impressive, that's about it. As great as AJ is he simply isn't as good as HBK. Michaels has won match of the year 11 times, AJ's best match (Unbreakable 2005) still wasn't as good as Angle vs. HBK at WM21 even though it was a fantastic match. AJ's great, but HBK is the best between the ropes, simple as that.

Star power is a very important argument in deciding who wins especially in a dream match scenario. You can't take AJ and Michaels early in their careers because it isn't a dream match, its just a good match because at that point both guys don't have much noteriety. If its a program then yes HBK putting AJ over is perfectly fine but in a who is the greatest match you give the win to who is better. HBK is better.

Star power is one reason yes but far from the only reason. My honest opinion, there is nothing AJ Styles can do that HBK can't, and usually HBK does it better. HBK is a better wrestler, better storyteller, better everything. All AJ has over HBK is his high spots are more impressive, that's about it. As great as AJ is he simply isn't as good as HBK. Michaels has won match of the year 11 times, AJ's best match (Unbreakable 2005) still wasn't as good as Angle vs. HBK at WM21 even though it was a fantastic match. AJ's great, but HBK is the best between the ropes, simple as that.

Star power is a very important argument in deciding who wins especially in a dream match scenario. You can't take AJ and Michaels early in their careers because it isn't a dream match, its just a good match because at that point both guys don't have much noteriety. If its a program then yes HBK putting AJ over is perfectly fine but in a who is the greatest match you give the win to who is better. HBK is better.

You are still using the same argument that HBK is the greatest period, for the umpteenth time, i never said aj styles was better then HBK in any way. Back to what factors are determined who would win in a dream match, i never ever said that star power wasnt a factor, i said that its not the only important factor, factors like adaptibility,longevity,charisma,movesets,past fueds,ppvs involved in/ wins/losses, accomplishments, future outlooks, etc. You have to consider every angle, not just the big picture. You also have to look how well they were able to sell their moves, put people over, and and who they have defeated. I don't know how many times i have to keep saying this, im not knocking or disrespecting hbk or placing aj styles on a pedelstool, i was just giving my my opinion and now im defending what seems like an endless argument, who would win if they actually faced off, your guess is as good as mine, but im just stating who i would pick in a first encounter, now, if this was a feud, i would give shawn michaels the edge based on the fact that he could adapt extremely well to someone he has faced multiple times

You are still using the same argument that HBK is the greatest period, for the umpteenth time, i never said aj styles was better then HBK in any way. Back to what factors are determined who would win in a dream match, i never ever said that star power wasnt a factor, i said that its not the only important factor, factors like adaptibility,longevity,charisma,movesets,past fueds,ppvs involved in/ wins/losses, accomplishments, future outlooks, etc. You have to consider every angle, not just the big picture. You also have to look how well they were able to sell their moves, put people over, and and who they have defeated. I don't know how many times i have to keep saying this, im not knocking or disrespecting hbk or placing aj styles on a pedelstool, i was just giving my my opinion and now im defending what seems like an endless argument, who would win if they actually faced off, your guess is as good as mine, but im just stating who i would pick in a first encounter, now, if this was a feud, i would give shawn michaels the edge based on the fact that he could adapt extremely well to someone he has faced multiple times

I never knocked AJ Styles and never said you are knocking HBK. I didn't say star power is the only factor, just said it was a very important factor. When it comes to ALL categories that matter, character, charisma, in ring skill, mic skill, impact on the business, drawing power, feuds, ect. the only thing I would possibly give to AJ Styles is his moveset, HBK for my taste takes the cake in every other category. It's not putting HBK on a pedestal, its just being realistic.

I gave my initial argument, you are the one who made this into a debate with me, not the other way around and I simply defended who I would take in such a match up. Outside of your no periods not once have I insulted you or put words in your mouth, so I ask for the same courtesy. I never said you were putting AJ on a pedestal or thrashing HBK's skills, that's how you took it. Never once did I trash AJ, I just gave my opinion that HBK is better in pretty much every category, that's all. You didn't have to say your point more than once, I read it the first time just fine. Not saying you don't have a point to what you are saying, I just don't agree with it. You don't agree with mine and I don't expect you to either but that's what a debate is.

I'm also not knocking anyone who thinks AJ would win, he's a very gifted and talented performer but when I look at everything I just don't see AJ on the same level as HBK. It's not at all a knock against AJ, I've been a AJ Styles fan since the 2nd TNA PPV back in '02 but in any way you measure a performer I can't take AJ over HBK and I won't.

I never knocked AJ Styles and never said you are knocking HBK. I didn't say star power is the only factor, just said it was a very important factor. When it comes to ALL categories that matter, character, charisma, in ring skill, mic skill, impact on the business, drawing power, feuds, ect. the only thing I would possibly give to AJ Styles is his moveset, HBK for my taste takes the cake in every other category. It's not putting HBK on a pedestal, its just being realistic.

I gave my initial argument, you are the one who made this into a debate with me, not the other way around and I simply defended who I would take in such a match up. Outside of your no periods not once have I insulted you or put words in your mouth, so I ask for the same courtesy. I never said you were putting AJ on a pedestal or thrashing HBK's skills, that's how you took it. Never once did I trash AJ, I just gave my opinion that HBK is better in pretty much every category, that's all. You didn't have to say your point more than once, I read it the first time just fine. Not saying you don't have a point to what you are saying, I just don't agree with it. You don't agree with mine and I don't expect you to either but that's what a debate is.

I'm also not knocking anyone who thinks AJ would win, he's a very gifted and talented performer but when I look at everything I just don't see AJ on the same level as HBK. It's not at all a knock against AJ, I've been a AJ Styles fan since the 2nd TNA PPV back in '02 but in any way you measure a performer I can't take AJ over HBK and I won't.

At least we are finally coming to an understanding, I respect your opnion of HBK just like i would you would on my opinion of aj styles. But add to something you said that i said you were putting words in my mouth, nonsense, i never implied that nor did i say that you were knocking aj styles, I am simply drawing my own conclusions about what you had said. I was just countering your argument that was defending your opinion while questioning my opinion, each to his own opinions. I'm not denying your arguments just simply trying to understand how you came to it, thats all I have been trying to do.

I love AJ but there is NO significant comparison. I'm not even going to grace this thread with a more thorough response than that.

At least we are finally coming to an understanding, I respect your opnion of HBK just like i would you would on my opinion of aj styles. But add to something you said that i said you were putting words in my mouth, nonsense, i never implied that nor did i say that you were knocking aj styles, I am simply drawing my own conclusions about what you had said. I was just countering your argument that was defending your opinion while questioning my opinion, each to his own opinions. I'm not denying your arguments just simply trying to understand how you came to it, thats all I have been trying to do.

To answer your last question I came to my conclusion as follows.

I have followed both guys careers from when they started, I have been watching wrestling since I was born and when I was younger I watched 3 federations, AWA, WCW/NWA, and WWF. I still vividly remember back when Shawn Michaels was part of The Rockers and when he became a single star by throwing Janetty through the Barbershop window. In regards to HBK there isn't one big moment in his WWF/WWE career that I did not see when it happened.

I can say the same thing about AJ Styles. I started watching TNA on ESPN Classic Canada, Every Wednesday they showed back to back TNA PPV's from its inaugural PPV when Shamrock won the title throughout the last 2 years. Not only can I tell you all of AJ's big moments, I can tell you when they happened, how they happened and who he beat. I am a huge fan of both guys and have nothing but the up most respect for their respective careers. I don't say this to impress anyone, I simply say this so you know I'm not talking out of my ass when I give my opinion on this subject.

Now when I look at who I think would win a dream match I look at many different things. I look at who would make the most sense to win the match, who is the overall better performer (not wrestler), who has more impact on the business as a whole, who has better longevity, who is most charismatic, who has the better wrestling personality, and most of all (as I believe this is the category that matters most in wrestling), who has more star/drawing power.

As I said before, I would give a dream match situation to HBK and lets break it down as to why using all categories I just gave:

who would make the most sense to win the match

HBK. The reason I say this is because he is the guy most wrestling fans know. Just for the simple fact he is a WWE guy means he automatically gets more notoriety. Not only that he is held in higher regard than AJ Styles by most fans. Now if I was bringing AJ into the WWE or giving them a program together I would take AJ because I think its a good idea to give him a rub in such a fashion. In a dream match scenario however I would want to give the match to the person that would make most fans happy. The truth is not everyone knows who AJ Styles is. Sure, guys like you and me do but your average fan doesn't therefore they wouldn't be happy to see some guy they never have seen beat one their wrestling heroes. I believe in a dream match scenario, when determining who is the best you should give it to who is better and I believe that's HBK.

who is the overall better performer (not wrestler)

AJ is an amazing performer and so is HBK. You could make arguments for both. I think AJ has the more impressive moveset but I feel HBK is the best storyteller the business has ever seen which is what wrestling is really about. Michaels has won 11 PWI Matches of the Year for a reason. The thing I look for most in wrestling isn't flashiness, its who can get myself emotionally invested in the match at hand better. AJ has been able to do that but not to the extent of HBK has. Unbreakable 2005 is one of my all time favorite matches but HBK vs. Taker @ WM25 is probably #2 on my list behind Rock vs. Hogan at WM18. Michaels just has this aura about him where you simply care more when he wrestles. AJ has had great matches but only once has me say "wow" after a match, HBK has done it numerous times for my taste.

who has more impact on the business as a whole, who has better longevity

Obviously its HBK at this point but to be fair AJ isn't near the end of his career. That may change one day but at this point the easy answer is HBK.

who is most charismatic, who has the better wrestling personality

The thing about AJ is his whole mystique is based on his in ring performances. He isn't that great on the mic, doesn't have lots of charisma and I just don't care much for his personality. Not all his fault but TNA hasn't done the best job establishing these attributes. The only thing marketable about AJ is his in ring work, everything else about him is extremely ordinary.

Michaels stands out from the pack and its not all in ring work. You would have to be blind not to see his charisma and personality. He did an amazing job making people hate him and on the flip side did a great job making people love him. Michaels arrogant personality was just made for wrestling. He just has this attitude that he's the best and who gives a fuck about what anyone else thinks because when its nut cutting time he will prove he's the best. I didn't like Michaels much growing up but that proves how good he really is because he did such a good job getting under my skin to the point I wanted to deck him.

AJ is just too plain jane in these categories, nothing about the guy stands out when it comes to mic skill, personality or charisma.

who has more star/drawing power

Michaels is simply a more marketable character and makes people want to watch him in the ring and can do it by himself, as said before he's someone that its easy to get emotionally invested in.

I love watching AJ Styles but I can't recall one time where I watched a PPV or event because AJ Styles is wrestling. Never once have I thought "I'm here tonight to watch AJ Styles". It's more like, sweet I get to watch AJ Styles do his thing tonight but AJ isn't enough for me to watch a whole episode of iMPACT for example.

Michaels did it for me with 3 Taker matches (Bad Blood, WM25 and 26), Hogan (Summerslam), 2 Bret Matches (WM12, SS 97), 5 HHH matches (SS '02, Survivor Series '02, Armageddon '02, Bad Blood '04, last RAW of '03) just to name a few.

For these reasons that's why I would put HBK over AJ Styles any day of the week. Not saying one day AJ can't overcome Michaels but he has a tall mountain to climb still before my mind changes on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back