• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Extreme Rules: United States Championship Fatal Four Way

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner

Boom! Boom! Boom! When freshly minted United States Champion Kofi Kingston captured the title last Monday night from MVP, it was as if the clouds had finally parted and a ray of Caribbean sunshine shone brightly upon him.

Unfortunately for Kingston, a set of storm clouds appear to be looming. As first reported by WWE Mobile Alerts, the new United States Champion will be forced at Extreme Rules to defend his title in a Fatal Four Way Match featuring The Franchise Playa’, William Regal and Matt Hardy.

The Jamaican Superstar defeated former champion MVP on Raw just six days prior to Extreme Rules. While these two Superstars share an obviously mutual respect for each other, the other two participants seem to have respect for no one but themselves. Regal and Hardy have lately ingratiated themselves with Raw General Manager Vickie Guerrero, which may explain why each now finds himself involved in the title match. After all, the Englishman helped Vickie capture the Miss WrestleMania crown when he attacked Santina during their title match. Then, with just six days left until Vickie was set to defend her tiara against Santina at Extreme Rules, Regal and Hardy schemed together to viciously attack Santina’s “twin brother” Santino.

While a Fatal Four Way Match generally fosters an every-man-for-himself ethos, it will be intriguing to watch just how the dynamic shakes down between these two tentative alliances. And if alliances do surface, they will inevitably be tested since there can only be one to emerge as United States champion.

Will the Jamaican Superstar continue to ride the lightning or will one of his three opponents rain on his parade?

Don’t miss all the action live on pay-per-view, this Sunday at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT.
I think it's going to be Kofi's first winning effort in a US title defense. No reason for him to drop it here as he's been pegged as a prospect since MITB, having matches with Show and Edge and picking wins up over all three of the other men in this match. It's about as hot as Kofi has been in his short WWE career. I like Matt and Regal more, but Matt is a little above the belt and Regal is well below it. Let's just hope this match is at least good. Kofi can be hit or miss, and the triple threat last week didn't come off too well.

Discuss the bout.

Few matches are as hardcore as the deadly Fatal Four Way! It even sounds dangerous! Seriously though, I think Kofi will win. MVP's moving up in the roster, and Matt and Regal now apparently have something going on. Kofi will probably feud with Matt and Regal for a while, but for now it wouldn't make sense for either one to win it. Kofi takes the belt home again.

Kofi should win or he just got royally screwed over. should be a descent fatal four way. i like this match and that both mid card tittles are on the line. this makes 8 matches though so one match will be really short or a dark match before the show like WM was

Well, at least I won't have to listen to the lot of you whining and pissing about a unique Hog Pen match being picked to go on Pay per view over having a United States title bout. Oh, by the way - Fatal Four Way = Gimmick, really? Lame.

Kingston & M.V.P put on a moderately decent showing, nothing great or special. Kingston won the title which I honestly didn't expect, but at least now I'm moderately sure M.V.P or one of the heels would likely take it here. It only makes nature sense. Kingston wins in a single's match, then drops it without even losing.

Why wasn't this an elimination match? Faces win elimination matches, Heels win first pinfall to a finish matches.. most of the time, anyways. I think it'll be Hardy, but can't be too sure.

Honestly, this should be a good contest - but it just brings us "Night of Champions" about (what?) one-two months sooner. It's not even in true gimmick format. Just because it's multiple people, doesn't make it a fucking gimmick. That's so stupid to me. Add an elimination stipulation, or better yet an old school "Double Jeopardy" match in which you'd have two single's pair-offs (M.V.P v. Matt Hardy, Regal v. Kingston) going at the same time. (Four Way) Then, when each individual has defeated his first opponent, the final two will face each other.

It has all components to make it a Fatal Four Way, turned Triple Threat, turned Single's match. With eliminations. But nope.. we just get 3 guys and a gimp with a broken hand. :rolleyes:

I too am very disappointed they decided a fatal four way could be passed as a gimmick match for this ppv. At least i won't have to watch MVP and Kofi go at it again, not one on one at least. I found their much this past monday pretty bad. The finish was horrid. The transition between moves for the finish was too slow, and very hard to believe. I expect Kofi to retain here. I doubt they'll have him drop the title so soon. As some have said, MVP will probably move up to bigger things, and Regal and Hardy seem to have something brewing between each other. So Kofi will retain. Fatal four ways are too cluster fucked for my taste, so I'm not expecting this match to be anything of note.

Looking forward to this. MVP? Good. Regal? Good. Matt Hardy? Good. Kofi? Good. If you can guess the show I've just kinda quoted, you win nothing. Should be a good solid match, Regal takes the fall. Nobody gives a shit about him.

Not sure what the point in taking the title off MVP was, certainly not sure what the point of putting it on Kofi was.

If you think about it though, fatal four ways are gimmick matches, they never end in dqs or countouts, so people often involve weapons.
I'd like to see Kofi win, and MVP push on to bigger and better things (like a decent finisher!) It would be awful if they give Kofi a title and then take it off him quickly/stupidly again. He's lost one in an inter-gender tag match, and one at a house show. Maybe he should be allowed time with a title at last.

I have no idea why they gave the title to Kofi, when they could've just waited a week and not have MVP suffer a loss. The beauty of a Fatal 4-Way is that you don't have to be pinned to lose, and MVP doesn't have a position in the company yet where him losing doesn't hurt his character. It's not like Kofi beat Cena, where losses don't really matter for much with him. They could've easily waited until the Fatal 4-Way, had one of the heels get pinned, and then take it from there. This could be like Kofi's short IC title run, in which case MVP could just win it back at the PPV.

I'm just glad they have both mid-card titles, and the ECW title, being defended. Unifying the tag titles didn't help much there yet, but hopefully that'll change, or probably be a dark match.

I'd like to see Kofi win, and MVP push on to bigger and better things (like a decent finisher!)

That is an interesting point, I never did know what the Playmaker accomplished, it appears that it just causes your opponent to become dizzy... I liked it much better when MVP was using that Shining Yakuza Kick when he was a heel on Smackdown, personally.

I'm predicting that Kofi will retain the title in this not so gimmicky Fatal Fourway. This will lead into him having matches with Regal, where he will retain and then lead into matches with a fully healed Matt Hardy.

Looking forward to this. MVP? Good. Regal? Good. Matt Hardy? Good. Kofi? Good. If you can guess the show I've just kinda quoted, you win nothing. Should be a good solid match, Regal takes the fall. Nobody gives a shit about him.

Not sure what the point in taking the title off MVP was, certainly not sure what the point of putting it on Kofi was.

The point in taking the title off of MVP was so he could move up to Main Event status. He's hugely over with the fans and he can actually wrestle. The only thing I don't like about MVP is his mic skills, but they are better than Batista's.

The reasoning behind putting the title on Kofi Kingston is to build him up to Main Event status in a year or two from now. John Cena had the United States title before Main Eventing, Batista had the World Tag Team titles before Main Eventing, Triple H had the IC title before Main Eventing, etc.

I have to agree that Fatal Fourway should not be considered a gimmick (Falls Count Anywhere would have worked here).

Should be a good match with some decent spots and I see Kofi retaining and MVP doesn't have to get pinned in his "rematch" so they can push him with the Main Eventers.

MVP really hasn't had a good enough run for him to really be mixing with main event wrestlers. He has his losing streak which ended at the beginning of the year, next it's been a whole load of nothing. The US title reign did nothing for him. but I think it would be a great way of working him into a main event program with Legacy. He's too far below Orton to have a realistic feud with him right now. But he can get the rub off him and then feud with him after a US title feud with Rhode or Dibiase.

I think Kofi is too small for a main event push.

I actually think it would've been Kennedy getting the belt last night, had he not been fired.

First of all, yeah, fatal four-way isn't really an extreme rule. Yes, in the WWE version of a fatal four-way there isn't supposed to be a DQ or count out.

But none of that really matters to me because we're getting a U.S. title match on PPV again! I don't think we've had one since The Great American Bash almost a full year ago.

This should be a great match. Getting Regal on PPV is always a treat. Matt Hardy deserves PPV matches all the time so I'm just glad that he won't miss two in a row. Kofi is a great new champion and a win here (probably over Regal since he pinned Hardy and MVP in the last two weeks) will solidify his run.

I truly believe that the only reason MVP lost his belt this week is because they can now start an Orton vs. MVP WWE title program for The Bash and Night of Champions while Hunter continues to sit out until Summerslam.

MVP won't win the WWE title but just by being in the WWE title it elevates him and tells me that he will win soon; hopefully at next year's 'Mania.

But anyway, this U.S. title match should be fun. It's a great addition to the card which is something I can't say about Vickie/Santino. RAW finally has a match I care about.

So there's a title change at Raw. And now they're having the fatal four way for the US Title? With Kofi, Matt, Regal, and MVP.

Someone tell who wins this. I'll tell you. Kofi. Unless you want to completely bury this guy, then he needs to retain the belt. I sense there will be some kind of shenanigans with Matt hitting Kofi in the skull with his cast to win the belt, but I hope not. I want to see Kofi get a solid reign with the mid card belt, that way, he can fend of contenders and build himself up to be a solid wrestler, as opposed to being punched out by Big Show or practically jobbed to Edge.

This will be a solid match, although four of them is too much.

I really can't see Kofi losing because then what would be the point of winning on RAW? MVP seems to be getting ready for the main event and Regal/Hardy are involving in their own little storyline so Kofi should go over here. I don't see the benefit of Kofi losing here, only negatives and the WWE has to give him a proper title reign with meaningful fueds. I am very excited for this match and I think Kofi wins.

Side Note: Will said this wasn't elimination, but I thought all Fatal Four Ways were elimination. This type of match works way better when it is elimination-style, so hopefully they go that route.

So there's a title change at Raw. And now they're having the fatal four way for the US Title? With Kofi, Matt, Regal, and MVP.

Someone tell who wins this. I'll tell you. Kofi. Unless you want to completely bury this guy, then he needs to retain the belt. I sense there will be some kind of shenanigans with Matt hitting Kofi in the skull with his cast to win the belt, but I hope not. I want to see Kofi get a solid reign with the mid card belt, that way, he can fend of contenders and build himself up to be a solid wrestler, as opposed to being punched out by Big Show or practically jobbed to Edge.

This will be a solid match, although four of them is too much.

At the E3 convention, they had an interview with Kofi Kingston about the new Smackdown vs. Raw (2010) video game. He was holding the United States Championship.

The reason I bring this up, is because of two vital pieces of information.

First, Kingston has been on a bit of a quiet push lately. He earned his way into the Elimination Chamber, yet never got the full opportunity because he was attacked with chairs by Edge. (the bright side to that is - he never lost the match) He's quietly defeated a nice list of individuals, yet also lost to guys in the Main Event scene. (ie. Edge)

I don't see them giving Kingston the strap anymore, just to take it back off him. Especially not after also having him become the spokes-person at the E3 convention for the video game - which likely means he'll be entered into the game as the United States Champion. This makes sense, especially if they want to focus on the future.

Now then, the other piece of information I believe has become vital is the fact that M.V.P is becoming slightly bigger than the mid-card, and after Orton (assumably) defeats Batista.. Orton will then need a new opponent, not named Triple H or Shawn Michaels, to contend with until Summerslam. M.V.P gave Orton a run for his money - which in all likelihood means M.V.P will gain a #1 contender's spot soon.

As for Regal and Hardy, they're building this unholy alliance - but at the same time, Hardy and Regal are blaming each other for failures. Thus means Hardy is likely to knock out Regal with the cast, allowing Kingston to retain - only for Hardy to blame Regal for getting in the way - setting up a Hardy/Kingston rivalry, then a Regal/Kingston rivalry - before making way for a Hardy/Regal feud.

So, in the end.. Kingston likely retains here.

I have to say that a Fatal Four Way is pretty lame for a PPV called 'Extreme Rules'. The Triple Threat Match is actually being billed as an 'Extreme Rules Triple Threat' match but this is just a plain old fatal four way. Yawn! Yeah, there'll probably be a chair shot or something, but that's pedestrian, not extreme.

Also, i fail to see why Kofi won the title on Monday. Why not have the title change at the PPV? It's ******ed. Regardless of how good this match might be (and i'm glad Regal's on a PPV again in a match where he can't be removed from the equation within seconds) the booking is going to be ripped to shit by the majority of us. If Kofi retains, people will complain that he should have won the belt at the PPV, and if he loses they'll complain that they gave him a pointless title shot and hurt MVP at the same time.

Look forward to the match, despite the booking.

I'm glad they decided to add this match to the pay per view line-up. When the IC match was added I didn't think they would the US title because they wouldn't want both of the mid-card titles to be defended. But I'm glad I was wrong and I really I'm looking forward to this match.

I don't care if there is not any other stipulation other than the fact the match is a fatal 4-way. I mean we are already having every other match on the pay per view have a stipulation and you are almost guaranteed that in at least one of those matches a weapon is going to be used. So it really wouldn't bother me if the match is extreme or not but I also wouldn't be surprised to see some weapons come into play.

Anyways I predict that Kofi Kingston will retain the title and hopefully come out of the match stronger than he was when he entered and I hope they give him a clean pin rather than a fluky one. It would be kind of pointless to have him win the title 6 days before the pay per view and then having him lose it. If he does indeed lose it there will probably be a lot of bitching about it. Anyways if he does lose it then I hope it is to William Regal. Regal could give Kofi a nice rub and this can be a short-term feud between them both that culminates in either The Bash or Night of Champions with Kofi winning the title back and moving on to feud with Matt Hardy.

This should still be a nice match and I'm looking forward to it.

I'd have to say that I give the match to Kofi. Yeah he's definitely an up and coming guy. He's charismatic, fans love him with that whole boom boom boom thing. The other guys seem like they have other things going on. MVP just needs to go up. I think that his challenge with Orton first day on Raw shows that he's not settling for just US title bouts. I forsee him coming up as a main eventer, or even mid guy. And I don't know if it's just me, but Matt and Regal seem like Gerald Brisco and Pat Patterson back in the days when they swung off Vince's nut sack. Only in this case, erm, Vickie Guerrero's saggy boobs :p

Huh. This is the first I've heard of this match. Sweet. I definetly will enjoy reading about this afterwards on the main site. Kofi will likely retain, but they have pulled stupid shit like that before(Kane)and they will do it again.

WaHoo! 10 minutes of good wrestling....even if it's meaningless in the long run. Kofi retains...but it's interesting to see where he goes from here. MVP is on the way up (and he deserves it) and Regal/Hardy should fued w/each other (or become Vickie's goons). So hopefully this mini-run ends here...and something new can happen for The Bash & NOC

So wait...they have a ppv of gimmick matches, and half the gimmick matches have the same gimmick - no DQ. Applause to the writers on that one. Real creative....idiots...

And they add this match now, rather than at Night of Champions? Wouldn't this spot fit better for a Morrison/Benjamin gimmick match instead, as they won't be a part of NOC? No wait, that would make too much sense. What am I thinking?

For as stupid as those two aspects are, this match should be decent. I don't like Hardy at all and I think Regal is one of the most overrated wrestlers in the WWE right now (Finlay too), but Kofi should have some good spots in it and MVP should be in charge of directing the course of the match itself. Kingston should definitely retain, and if he loses his belt this fast, its a travesty and does nothing but hurt his credibility.

I didn't think this would come till Night of Champions but lucky me its at Extreme Rules.
Should be a good 10 minute match with Kofi probably retaining by pinning Regal.

Once again, this is a by-product of the Company likely listening to the fans. You know, the whiners in the Hog Pen thread who said they wanted this type of match instead. So without a proper gimmick, and now with what will more than likely be a blown United States match for NoC.. we get it early, now.

I suppose when NoC rolls around, and Santino is getting a U.S Championship match - people will then complain this match took place too quickly. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, I'm happy this IS a match. I'm not at all disappointed in it, nor am I bad mouthing it for being announced. I just wish that the Company as a whole, would start listening on selective things, but not everything. A Fatal Four Way is NOT a gimmick, and shy of adding the element of elimination (which mind you, still doesn't make it a proper gimmick, but helps) all this is.. is about 5-10 minutes worth of 2 on 2, or 1 on 1, two different times.. with the ending, being one finish, quick, sudden and likely unexpected.

I have a feeling this match will let down more people than it'll build up. It'll be good, but it'll end too quick, or not enough will happen in general. I just think they pulled the trigger way too early on this match.. especially for a title change to have happened just 6 days prior.

This is going to be an awesome match because 4-way matches are great! Much better than triple threats, especially when not used often. I will be very dissappointed if this gets turned into a dark match because I am really looking forward to watching it! Let's see.... as for the competitors, none of them could really use a run with the belt more than Kofi at the moment, except MAYBE regal, but that can wait until night of champions or later than that. Kofi just won the belt, he will look bad if he loses it in his first big defense. Kofi definately has my vote!

Dagger Dias prediction: KOFI

_

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back