Extreme Rules: Intercontinental Championship: No Holds Barred: Rey Mysterio vs Y2J

At Extreme Rules, Intercontinental Champion Rey Mysterio will battle Chris Jericho in a No Holds Barred Match.

Since being drafted to SmackDown, Chris Jericho has collectively held the WWE Universe, his fellow Friday night Superstars and General Manager Theodore Long in absolute contempt, voicing that there is “a conspiracy” against him. Is it is only natural that he would end up clashing with one of SmackDown’s favorite sons, Rey Mysterio.

At Judgment Day, Mysterio reigned supreme against his outspoken adversary in heroic fashion, going so far as to pin Jericho with the 619, the very move that his outspoken opponent promised the WWE Universe would not happen. Jericho’s defeat did not teach him humility, but rather further fueled the fire of his discontent and the resentment that he seems to feel for his surroundings.

The intense rivalry between The Master of the 619 and the first-ever Undisputed WWE Champion has quickly grown past chair throwing, match interference, and general contempt. For one thing, the Intercontinental Championship is a title that both Superstars hold dear. During an interview with Jim Ross and Todd Grisham on SmackDown, Mysterio voiced his hope to one day be among the greatest Intercontinental Champions of all time. Chris Jericho has held the title a record eight times, and seems to have made it his personal quest to break his own record. Furthermore, Jericho’s shown Mysterio tremendous personal disrespect over the months, even going so far as to infer that he is a coward who “hides behind a mask.”

At Extreme Rules, both Mysterio and Jericho will have the chance to do whatever they wish to each other, in a match specifically designed to hold nothing back. When the growing resentment between two elite Superstars is given such an open playing field on which to focus their volatile emotions, there is no telling who will come out on top.

This is a rather boring gimmick to me. It's just your generic hardcore match and I don't expect anything special. Their match at Judgment Day was wonderful, but with this one being contested, most likely, outside of the ring for the majority of the match, I see it being slow and predictable. Jericho will likely pick up the title here, as WWE doesn't do a very good job at carrying out feuds for very long now-a-days. It'll likely lead to the Mask vs Title match, which could be interesting.

Probably one of those matches that would have been better without a gimmick. Jericho & Rey shouldn't need them. It'll be a good match, but not as good as it could be. Instead I'll pop on my Rey Mysterio DVD and watch a match from when both weren't overweight.

If the IC title means anything anymore then Mysterio will win here, this fued will carry on for a little while longer, then Jericho will take the title at either the Bash or SummerSlam and become 9 times IC champ.

I see this match being OK but like Jake said it would have been much better without a gimmick.

This should have been our ladder match if you ask me.
These two would have blown the roof off in that setting, it's also the only acceptable gimmick one could put around these two.
Jericho will likely win here, and I suspect rey is going to be blown off for a bit, maybe one rematch. I definately don't see title vs. mask working out.
I would like see, if jericho wins, him being thrown into a lengthy program with Morrison. That could be the feud that really makes Morrison.
If rey wins, which I don't expect, I look for Jericho to move onto maybe Punk and rey to move toward another young superstar, dropping the title to whoever the next guy in line may be.

It'll be interesting to see what directions both wrestlers go in after this match. As i am fairly sure this will be the blow off.

Meh. If only they had started this feud a few months ago, we could be having a Mask vs. Title match. But no, we get this. A No Holds Barred match. This just means that Jericho can use a chair now. Though I wouldn't be surprised if when Jericho goes to use a chair he's tripped into the 619, and foolishly holds the chair in front of his face. 619/chair to the face, instant pop. Horrible move, but instant pop.

It doesn't really matter who wins here. If Jericho wins, Mysterio will have a few rematches, then Teddy Long will say "But...you've lost so many times." Then Mysterio will say "Oh, but I will make it Mask vs. Title." It'll be a good match, and Mysterio will win. He ain't losing that mask. And if he does, he'll just go off tv for a while to rest up on some injuries and come back with it on. If Flair can unretire, Mysterio can remask.

Edit: I've decided. Jericho will win here, and beat Mysterio in a rematch or three. Mysterio will challenge Jericho for a Mask vs. Title at either Night of Champions or Summerslam. They can't pull it off in time for the Great American Bash, and Summerslam sounds like the perfect ppv for a Mask vs. Title.

It's a big meh, really. It's be a solid match. But I've never really seen how No Holds Barred is any different then, say, Anything Goes. Everyone just uses a chair.

No Holds Barred is perfect for this match. I'm hoping both men go back to their ECW roots, and put on a proper extreme rules match. They can, and should, fight everywhere in the arena, using anything, and everything, as a weapon. I'd like to see Y2J win, but I haven't watched enough lately to make a decision here.

To tell you the truth, I absolutely hate this Mysterio/Jericho fued. I saw their Judgment Day contest and I think it was really good, but the fued as a whole just doesn't seem too good for me. I think WWE really would have been better off having this fued earler this year. In the World Heavyweight Championship Elimination Chamber match at No Way Out, Jericho and Mysterio put on quite a show, before Edge was released from his individual chamber. WWE should have went on with that fued then and carry it on to Smackdown... I think it could have been better that way.

As for their Extreme Rules match... I ask why is everyone deadset on seeing a Mask vs. Title match between these two? It would most likely be a very sloppy match with Jericho probably trying to remove the mask at several times in the match or even after the match if he lost. Jericho has no business wrestling for the Intercontinental Championship... it's time for WWE to realize that Chris Jericho should be the WORLD CHAMPION!

If Chris Jericho wins the Intercontinental Championship, what will it lead to? Him being a 9-time IC Champion would be quite redundant. Sure, it'll look good on his resume, but will it really help him? The smart thing would be for WWE to keep the title on Mysterio. He can have countless feuds over the title, and good ones, I might add. But what about Jericho? When he won the IC Championship last year, did he do anything remotely memorable having to do with the title? I believe he only had two title defenses and then lost the title to Kofi Kingston. Then fued with Shawn Michaels.

If he would win the title now, what would possibly be any different? I'm not overlooking the fact that this Intercontinental Championship No Holds Barred match will be good... I'm just saying that I don't like much about the feud or the direction it's likely going. Mysterio should win and keep the title until maybe ''Night of Champions'', but don't be surprised to seeing Jericho possibly winning this.

Why does the WWE persist with "No holds barred matches"? Cos they ain't that anymore, they suck! You can't do this or you can't do that, it's too dangerous. The kiddies will have nightmares.

Rey and Y2J will put on a good match but it'll be that a good match and nothing more.

Y2J should switch places with Edge because the two best heels around despite what Vince force feeds down your throat is Orton and Y2J not Edge. Y2J is being wasted AGAIN! as usual.

If Y2J wins the IC Title again he'll rot away again, believe me.

Jericho is, to coin one of his own catchphrases from a few years back, a complete Ass Clown! OK he was the first Undisputed Champion, and never lets us forget that, but he's been mid-card ever since.. Yet if he went to TNA they'd do one of 2 things with him, either put him in the MEM cos he's a former Champion, or have him get owned by Samoa Joe every week (like my current bookings on EWR).

The Jericho/Rey feud is all about the long haul. This isn't a feud that will over after a couple of PPVs. These guys might still be going at it at Summerslam. They're both that talented and Jericho is that good at cutting promos which make you want to see more.

That being said, a No Holds Barred gimmick is perfect. It provides a stipulation like all matches at this PPV need but it doesn't dominate the match. I don't expect these two to use very many weapons or spend too much time outside of the ring. They're going to do what they do best: wrestle.

I'm not even 100% sure Jericho is going to win the title here. I'm sure it'll happen eventually for the title vs. mask match we all expect but with a long feud it doesn't have to happen thanks to the next PPV once again only being 3 weeks after "Extreme Rules."

My guess? Rey wins again here. Jericho takes the title at "The Bash." Jericho retains the title at "Night of Champions." Rey takes the belt back to end the feud in a title vs. mask match at "Summerslam."

I agree with you Black Snow. But even though I would like 2 see a long feud until Summerslam between Y2J and Rey, I dont think it will happen. But if it is a long feud, it will bring back some much needed prestige to the IC Title.

This is one of the matches I am looking forward to seeing. I really like the way these two work together in the ring. I enjoyed their match at Judgement Day and I think with the No Holds Barred stipulation it will take the match to the next level. I believe this was the best choice for a stip because it doesn't take away from their skills in the ring, but it brings a new element to the match. A brawl outside and a couple of weapons mixed in and this match becomes a treat to watch. This has potential to be MOTN and I see Rey retaining the IC belt.

Their match at Judgment Day was centered mainly around Mysterio trying to hit the 619 so it wasn't as good as it should have been. I believe this match will be better and they work well together so I expect nothing less from both of them. Jericho should win this and start a program with the Undertaker since it's two months till summerslam or feud with Hardy if he will still be here.

I am going to say that Jericho captures the title at Extreme Rules and becomes a 9 time Intercontinental champion. I don't think that Jericho will be facing The Undertaker because apparently he underwent hip surgery and he will probably be out throughout the summer. Anyways, I see Jericho capturing the title at Extreme Rules and then he defends the title against Mysterio at The Bash, but Rey comes up short. Then at Night of Champions they have another match and again Jericho gets the win. Now I see Mysterio getting one final shot at Summerslam for the Intercontinental title and there he finally gets the win over Jericho to become the new IC Champion. Then they can both go their separate ways and begin new feuds with someone else or they can have one final match at Breaking Point where Mysterio gets the win. That's how I see this feud happening.

This should be an exciting match at least as good as, if not better than, their match from JD. There should be some good spots on the outside and I think that the No Holds Barred stipulation helps here.

As for the winner, I really have no idea. I'm leaning towards Jericho, but I think he might continue play the part of the heel that whines because he is talented and should be the face of SD, even though he's losing. I guess I'll go with Rey here.

I've decided. Jericho will win here, and beat Mysterio in a rematch or three. Mysterio will challenge Jericho for a Mask vs. Title at either Night of Champions or Summerslam. They can't pull it off in time for the Great American Bash, and Summerslam sounds like the perfect ppv for a Mask vs. Title.

This will go either 2 ways for the (so far well-done imo) fued to be respectable. The above....or Rey has to lose the mask (which would be shocking....and VERY dumb). I'll take the quote FTW....then Rey can fued w/either Morrison or Shelton and Jericho can battle Taker after SS.

If it ends here, then we're getting Taker Vs. Jericho early.

I didn't much care for their previous match. Unfortunately I doubt this will end until after night of champions. I do not think he will get the belt until after night of champions, but I think Jericho will still somehow win this.

Dagger Dias prediction: JERICHO

_

I thought their match at Judgment Day was good, expect more of the same from these two.

What i see in this match is Jericho getting the mask off Mysterio, but Rey still wins the match without his mask. I think this is the best option because Jericho has nothing to gain from becoming a 9 time Intercontinental Champion.

I think that Chris Jericho is going to win the match and even the series between them at one apiece. It will carry onto Summerslam where Jericho and Mysterio will feud over the title and the mask, with Mysterio keeping his mask and winning back the title.

Second best match on the card. Best IC title match since, well these two at Judgment Day. These two are working really well together and this should be another great match. It is probably the hardest one to call and I will go with Jericho winning, but Rey keeps his mask. Jericho with the IC title for an unprecedented ninth time will be worth a few hypocrite and parasite statements on Friday and it will continue this feud a bit longer. When you get Jericho working a feud, it is golden. When you have Rey working with an agile opponent, it is golden. I expect this match to be, that's right, golden.

I thought this match was fantastic, and had a good surprise ending in Mysetrio losing his mask. I was extremely impressed with the amount of smooth reversals between the two, and they also made great use of the extreme rules stipulation without making it the focus of the match. Jericho was, as always, outstanding before, during, and after the match. He has seriously made watching this feud extremely worthwhile. I honestly couldn't tell you what my favorite part of the match was, there were some great high flying moves from Rey Rey as well as some great reversals and stuff from Y2J. Overall, I'd give this match 8/10.

I didn't much care for their previous match. Unfortunately I doubt this will end until after night of champions. I do not think he will get the belt until after night of champions, but I think Jericho will still somehow win this.

Dagger Dias prediction: JERICHO

I was correct on this one too. I knew Jericho would win somehow, I just did not think he would get the title yet. The match was good, just not something I'd want to watch again. Huge fan of Jericho but I cannot stand Rey, so I would have disliked the match anyhow just because of Rey. Interesting ending, looks like their feud will now continue and Rey will probably win back the belt as well as his mask by Night of Champions, we'll see but that's what I think.

Final thoughts: 7 out of 9.
_

If it wasn't for the ladder match this would have been match of the night imo. The match told a great story and the no holds barred aspect was used perfectly. They started intense, had great back and forth action and threw in the chair shots at the end to amp things up. I didn't see their 1st match so I can't comment on it, but I'm glad they're working a long program cause I could watch matches like last nights all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back