• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EVOLUTION

ULTRASTARZZ

Dark Match Winner
Now this should not come as a shock to most of you, but the common pattern to survival in the WWE is evolving. Evolving your character, evolving your attitude, evolving your moveset. So many Superstars did this and are now (or on their way to becoming) legends in the business:

Shawn Michaels (egomaniac HBK -> selfless Showstopper)
JBL (brute bar-brawler -> millionaire 'Wrestling God')
Stone Cold Steve Austin (Ringmaster -> S.O.B. Texas Rattlesnake)
The Rock (boring champion -> electrifying Great One)
John Cena (rapper -> modern-day hero)
Randy Orton (Legend Killer -> Viper)
CM Punk (Straightedge -> Messiah-like leader)
Rey Mysterio (masked cruiserweight -> Ultimate Underdog)

Now, which of the current young Superstars do you see evolve their characters to survive in the WWE and possibly become future Hall-of-Famers?

For me, Jack Swagger has what it takes. He has the gimmicky All-American American theme. He has the skills. He has mic skills (sort of). He has character. All he needs is to turn face and be the proud American citizen, which will be a perfect opponent for WWE's international Superstars. The mic skills may be a bit hopeless, but some legends in the business are not notable for having decent mic skills.

Another one could be Kofi Kingston. His Jamaican/Ghana-oriented gimmick is a good start. He can talk. He has aggression. He can fly. I think he needs to be a heel because there are not that many credible heelish highflyers. It will be fresh, and I think it is his best chance to be a World Champion someday.

It doesn't come as a shock to me, I went in-depth in a thread about evolution in wrestling like four days ago. Nice topic nonetheless.

Now, the problem with it is, is that we can't predict what gimmick can really alter someone's rankings in the WWE or even TNA. It's a thing of right time, and right place. Best example I can give you, is "The Game" gimmick which fell into Triple H's lap. That gimmick was initially supposed to go to Owen Hart. If Owen hadn't passed, what would Triple H be today? We don't know. It's all a thing of if and that is a prediction.

I see what you're saying, especially with your examples. Jack Swagger though probably wouldn't get all that over with an American citizen gimmick, it's too generic and that guy needs more to get him out the hole which was dug for him. And as for Kingston, he has no microphone skills at all. The less he talks, the better, he's also very, very bland. I also have pointed out in previous threads that a Kingston heel turn is needed.

Nice idea for a thread and I'm repping you for it, but it can't be realistically discussed as it's all a thing of ifs and maybes. Who do I think can go on to evolve into something bigger? Alex Riley, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes. But what into? Only time will tell.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Triple H as far as someone who has evolved over the years. He began in WWF as "Hunter Hearst Helmsley", a Connecticut blue-blood. Then he evolved into "Triple H", a smart-ass who made penis jokes in D-X. Then he evolved into the leader of the D-X army after HBK retired and ultimately became "The Game", the top guy in the company and someone who would do anything necessary to keep that spot. When his legacy as one of the all-time greats was secure, he became "The King Of Kings". At times, he reunited with Shawn Michaels as D-X and re-embraced the character he played then.

As far as guys today, I'd like to see how/if Alex Riley evolves once his feud with the Miz ends. He got a rub from one of the top guys in the company, but sooner or later, he's got to show what he can do on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back