Essential songs that any fan of rock music should own

Hollywood Naitch

The current reigning and defending
Pretty simple really. Just post the songs that you feel that any fan of rock and metal music should have in their collection.

The absolute classics. I hope to see some that I am missing from my collection, and I expect that others will do the same.

I will kick things off with a few classics from Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne. Any metal fan will know these, but thats the idea. Lets educate new fans of the genre in the classic songs that they need to hear!

[YOUTUBE]NZyVZFJGX5g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9QQ0hH4MYsk[/YOUTUBE

[YOUTUBE]jJVr0vJK2rs[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, the 2nd one didnt show up, I missed a bracket. So here it is

[YOUTUBE]9LjbMVXj0F8[/YOUTUBE]

The chorus has actually been used since on a Kanye West song, which disgusted me as you should not mess with a classic!

Now I'm not saying people should own/buy these songs , cause even I myself don't nessicarily own all of these

(I typically don't like to buy just 1 or 2 songs off a CD , blame iTunes cover flow , I don't like to waste up 5947 extra squares worth of scrolling on individual songs)

But here are some classics that are among the best rock n roll of all time
[youtube]ClQcUyhoxTg[/youtube]

[youtube]BcL---4xQYA[/youtube]

[youtube]cFpKzNyddA0[/youtube]

[youtube]OnxkfLe4G74[/youtube]

[youtube]Czb2E1q7xtc[/youtube]

Title says rock , you posted metal so I guess I'll do a few metal classics as well

[youtube]WLE7hcSgxlM[/youtube]

[youtube]-W9EOhy5J6A[/youtube]

[youtube]t0XrKF19yzE[/youtube]

[youtube]cgQqgY2bJLk[/youtube]

[youtube]Ujga-3p21xY[/youtube]

I figured 10 videos would seem spammy/excessive so I put them in the spoilers , 5 classic rock 5 classic metal :)

A couple more for you.

The first is the signiture song from Bon Jovi, from their classic "Slippery When Wet" album, and is still a radio regular even to this day. From kareoke clubs, rock clubs, regular clubs, parties etc, the song is known by everyone. It has remained in the BJ set list since it was released and will be one of the rock songs that will live forever. It is "Livin' On A Prayer"

[YOUTUBE]lDK9QqIzhwk[/YOUTUBE]

Next we come to Motorhead, the legendary English led by one of the most iconic frontmen in metal history in Lemmy Kilmister, who is still hell-raising at the age of 65. As with the Bon Jovi song, "Ace Of Spades" is known by everyone, having featured on so many films, compilation CD's, and even on one of the Tony Hawk'd video games, it really is a classic anthem. How many other bands would love to have such an anthem in their set list?!

[YOUTUBE]aSsqavYIgNc[/YOUTUBE]

Here we go, I will try and come up with a bunch of essentials.

[youtube]eV3DJzT0ndI[/youtube]
This is Metallica's stairway, their free bird. The flow, the lyrics, subject matter, and even the progressive metal length. This is definitely the song they will be remembered for.

[youtube]Th3ycKQV_4k[/youtube]
Quite possibly the greatest riff in hippie rock history, I give you the song that stole George harrisons wife from him, and into the arms of Eric Clapton

I'm sure someone will disagree with me but I have to give a shout out to Thin Lizzy, they were quite important in the evolution of rock. Ozzy Osbourne has even creditted them before for their unique way of performing and sound.

[youtube]JK_d8WfNyfA[/youtube]

Thanks to the others who have contributed so far.

My next pick is the song that brought grunge to the mainstream, led Nirvana to knock Michael Jackson off the number 1 spot in the album charts and is widely regarded as one of the greatest songs of all time. With its iconic video, hair-metal destroying sound, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the signiture song of the grunge era and led to Nirvana becoming one of the biggest and most iconic bands in rock history.

[YOUTUBE]hTWKbfoikeg[/YOUTUBE]

Going back a bit I must admitt, but again, this song is one of those that almost everyone who has even a minor knowledge in rock will recognize from the first strum of the guitar.

[youtube]9f7LwuVF8Oo[/youtube]

Great thread topic here Naitch. I'm hoping to obtain some hidden gems that I haven't thought of from some major rock fans in here. For my part, I'll start with a song that is vastly different from any other rock song of it's time or since really and is one of the most well known and often played songs of any music genre. It's a little 70s classic from Queen

[youtube]fJ9rUzIMcZQ[/youtube]

And I'll also put a couple more from one of my top 5 favorite musical artists of all time, the legendary Lynyrd Skynyrd

[youtube]8lBNIiCMu7I[/youtube]

[youtube]nFl0nlHaWa4[/youtube]

[YOUTUBE]0fSEjlLQcRY[/youtube]​

This one is a given. If you are a fan of Rock then this entire Album is a must own but if you want one song off it then this one is the one you should choose. I like Bon Scott and he was an awesome Lead singer but Brian Johnson will always be the singer I associate with AC/DC. His gruff voice just fits with everything.

[youtube]eDd-GXkMrJs[/youtube]​

This is one of my personal favorites in the Metal Genre and another great song that everyone who is a fan of the genre should own. The Number of the Beast is a great Album all together but this song just clicks with me for some reason. The solo on this song is fantastic and I love the lyrics. If you've never listened to Iron Maiden then this is a great song to start with.

3 more metal anthems that should be certainties in any collection are these absolute monsters

[YOUTUBE]AkFqg5wAuFk[/YOUTUBE]

That riff! An absolute juggernaut capable of pounding anyone into submission. There are very few, if any, pieces of music that can get me more pumped up than this absolute beast! Pantera's most iconic track, and a true metal classic.

[YOUTUBE]VWIBoAkFoiQ[/YOUTUBE]

By far my favourite Iron Maiden song, and a guaranteed crowd pleaser whenever the boys decide to crank it out at a gig. This shows everything that is good about Maiden. Bruce Dickinson's awesome voice, great riff, classic chorus and obviously a phenomenal solo. You need this!

[YOUTUBE]o1tj2zJ2Wvg[/YOUTUBE]

The 1st track on Guns' first album. What a statement of intent this was! It told you everything about the band, a down and dirty track showcasing Slash and Axl at their very best. When a band can release something this good in their first album, you know you are onto something special. Over 20 years old and still as good as ever

Did you really expect a thread like this to go without an appearance from the Phat man? Hell no, but you guys hurt my feelings! No love for Slayer boys? Please

Metal:

Slayer - Raining Blood
[YOUTUBE]QgpzLUCY0rU[/YOUTUBE]
One of the most iconic opening 30 seconds ever. You know hell is waiting at the end of that small amount of time. Still to this day if you hear this song as a metal head you turn it up on full blast and head bang to it. Well I know I fucking do \M/

Slayer South Of Heaven
[YOUTUBE]7rpoZE8X8Y[/YOUTUBE]
This is my favorite song from them. If hell had a theme song when you first went in to burn this song should be it. Enough said.

Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face
[YOUTUBE]fTpQOZcNASw[/YOUTUBE]
This really isn't a song for the avg. metal fan. This is for the diehard all metal fans. Cannibal Corpse made a huge name for them off in my eyes minimal talent. But that never stopped them from becoming a huge ass band.

Anthrax - Caught In A Mosh
[YOUTUBE]zlLn0UicWrM[/YOUTUBE]
iconic still to this day

Judas Priest - Breaking The Law
[YOUTUBE]L397TWLwrUU[/YOUTUBE]
Please people, how isn't this on anyone’s list. Who hasn't played this song and rocked out at one time or another.

Dio - Rainbow in the Dark
[YOUTUBE]tYlDltwm-JY[/YOUTUBE]
This to, if you want someone to see how good Metal singers can be how do you not have Dio on your list?

Rock:
Pink Floyd- Another Brick in the Wall
[YOUTUBE]t4SKL7f9n58[/YOUTUBE]
Really Pink Floyd should be on everyone’s list. How do you not have them?

ELVIS PRESLEY - JAILHOUSE ROCK
[YOUTUBE]udVYTQ7GfZk[/YOUTUBE]
How the fuck do none of you have Elvis on your list. The king of rock and roll? Anyone? That really is the one thing that surprised me when I saw this thread. Elvis is overlooked by today’s "rock fans", but really he is the king for a reason. Without him Rock wouldn't be here.

Cream - White Room
[YOUTUBE]uGZeqwdWoeo[/YOUTUBE]
Really? This song is amazing, great for any new rock fan to enjoy.

The Rolling Stones- Paint it Black
[YOUTUBE]Q9DDpmyPZZA[/YOUTUBE]
Just a great song

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
[YOUTUBE]sfR_HWMzgyc[/YOUTUBE]
One of my favorite instrumentals ever. I can listen to just the instrumentals or the whole song.

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
[YOUTUBE]bng3agUOYiI[/YOUTUBE]
I saw Voodoo child on the list. But Really All along the Watchtower wouldn't make anyone’s list?

Just realised I have been neglecting this thread, so its about time I posted another couple of classic rock anthems.

[YOUTUBE]BKEgrnOOHso[/YOUTUBE]

My favourite Queen song, and one that shows their heavier side. This is when I think Queen were best, when they were real rock stars and not releasing softer, less serious material. This is rock music at its very, very best.

[YOUTUBE]bg92QpjRcJk[/YOUTUBE]

Yet another Metallica classic. The sheer number of all-time great tracks that the 'Tallica boys have created is unreal. This is one of their best, from the brilliant "Ride The Lightning" album. Triple H used it as part of his entrance theme at this years Wrestlemania, and it is metal perfection. Metallica at their finest

Heres a few more classics except this time in a more blue-sy vein because they haven't been mentioned yet as far as I noticed

[youtube]ousaiByU1ko[/youtube]
[youtube]Ln6WQqRDrCo[/youtube]
[youtube]-oqAU5VxFWs[/youtube]

Well I have to start this with a song that ruled my early childhood. To this day I'm not sick of hearing it.

Metallica- Enter Sandman
[YOUTUBE]K2jfV1DzcuQ[/YOUTUBE]

Staying on the Metallica bandwagon, I have to include a song that has not left my ipod since buying it (3years ago)

Metallica - One
[YOUTUBE]WM8bTdBs-cw[/YOUTUBE]
This song is what introduced me to metal.

There's a severe lack of Punk in this thread.

[YOUTUBE]GJpd2NpERa8[/YOUTUBE]

The Dead Boys' 1977 song "Sonic Reducer" is considered by many to be one of the all time Punk Rock classics. The lyrics in this song are relatable by teens or pretty much anyone that feels the need to rebel or feels like they are getting put down. "I don't need anyone, Don't need no mom and dad. Don't need no prude advice, don't need no human race". Teenage rebellion at it's finest here.

[YOUTUBE]rXQtl0ypU44[/YOUTUBE]

Headed by quite possibly the angriest and one of the scariest dudes in music, Henry Rollins. Black Flag's Rise Above is probably my favorite 80's Hardcore song. The message of the song is simple, we're tired of how shit is and we're going to do something about it, we're going to rise above. The raw power and anger of Black Flag and Henry Rollins really comes through on this song.

[YOUTUBE]5NAPYIMMbWQ&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

One of the best Hardcore Punk bands from their era Bad Brains were just raw energy wrapped in political messages based on racism, the economy, big business corporations, and the government in general. "The Big Take Over" comes from one of the best hardcore cd's of all time; Banned in D.C.. Add in that the band is entirely black and that just adds to their awesomeness.

[YOUTUBE]EDNzQ3CXspU[/YOUTUBE]

Iggy and The Stooges pretty much started Punk. Raw Power came out in 1973 and is probably the most influential cd in the history of punk. Most people prefer "I Wanna Be Your Dog" or the title track "Raw Power" but I've always thought "Search and Destroy" caught Punk and Iggy's attitude perfectly.

[YOUTUBE]FGKSmKog-pA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Someone once said something along the lines of "Iggy may have started punk, but he didn't have the balls to finish it. G.G. Allin is the terminator." In my opinion, no one embodies Rock and Roll more than G.G. Allin. Quite possibly the foulest human being who ever lived, G.G. Allin was known for shitting on stage and throwing it on people, using hard drugs on stage, and for having some of the most violent concerts at that time. He lived by the "Live Fast, Die Young" moniker. I won't give a full biography of him because I could personally talk about him for days and not get bored, just look him up on wikipedia or something. "Bite It You Scum" is probably his most known song and probably one of his most coherent as well lol.

[YOUTUBE]EqQuihD0hoI[/YOUTUBE]

Rob Zombie. How anyone can miss this in their Rock playlists is beyond me. "Dragula" is bar for bar one of the best rock songs to listen to while cruising the road.

There is just a complete lack of Zombie in this thread, and it bugs me because the man is phenomenal. Oh and another:

[YOUTUBE]Ypkv0HeUvTc[/YOUTUBE]

I find myself posting this song twice on this website today, the other being a "favorite song that you first heard in the WWE" or whatever type thread. I began watchin in 2002, and my show was Smackdown, so it just got me amped up whenever it came on, and I've been a fan of both Manson and wrestling ever since.

[YOUTUBE]2yUZJZC2V40[/YOUTUBE]

Gotta have a bit of Black Label Society, Zakk Wylde is a guitar GOD! As well as being the axeman for Ozzy, Zakk has made one of the most respected and successful metal bands out there in BLS.

This is their signiture track, which featured on Guitar Hero: World Tour, and has Ozzy on backing vocals. Zakk has an awesome voice as well as being one of the best guitarists on the planet. I have seen BLS live and they were fantastic. Anyone who likes their metal heavy, loud and with great vocals should check out BLS.

[YOUTUBE]foSkPjvuRv0[/YOUTUBE]

"In This River" is BLS's tribute to their close friend Dimebag Darrell, and Zakk has come out and said this will never be taken out of their set list. When I saw it played live, pictures of Dime lowered down from the ceiling and everyone held their lighters up to pay tribute to a great man. So much emotion in this song, it is a phenomenal piece of music

[YOUTUBE]foSkPjvuRv0[/YOUTUBE]

"In This River" is BLS's tribute to their close friend Dimebag Darrell, and Zakk has come out and said this will never be taken out of their set list. When I saw it played live, pictures of Dime lowered down from the ceiling and everyone held their lighters up to pay tribute to a great man. So much emotion in this song, it is a phenomenal piece of music

:wtf: Holy friggin shit dude.......... that was beautiful :)

I have known about BLS for years never been an actual fan (Cause I haven't heard much) but that song was a pure work of art! My only dissapointment is to see the not live versions only 3:52 and then must be less epic

That is easily one of the best live performances I've seen a video of done by anyone ever :worship: I may end up actually becoming a real fan of them if this is any sign of how good they really are.

Cause like , you had mentioned their presence in a guitar hero game and I had that game but wasn't blown away by the song or anything but THIS was great so we'll see about looking into them more for sure now

:wtf: Holy friggin shit dude.......... that was beautiful :)

I have known about BLS for years never been an actual fan (Cause I haven't heard much) but that song was a pure work of art! My only dissapointment is to see the not live versions only 3:52 and then must be less epic

That is easily one of the best live performances I've seen a video of done by anyone ever :worship: I may end up actually becoming a real fan of them if this is any sign of how good they really are.

Cause like , you had mentioned their presence in a guitar hero game and I had that game but wasn't blown away by the song or anything but THIS was great so we'll see about looking into them more for sure now

Glad that you liked it bro, it is a fantastic track and obviously means so much to Zakk. He has done quite a lot of slower, piano based songs. Most BLS album (particularly the later ones) have quite a few slower tracks on them. My personal favourite is I Never Dreamed a Lynyrs Skynyrd cover, but Lead Me To Your Door is another that you should probably check out.

Most BLS albums are worth picking up though, my favourite is Mafia but I also love 1919 Eternal but that one is a heavier style album. Hangover Music Vol. 4 is mostly made up of the slower BLS tracks and is also great

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back