• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Essential PS3 Games

Without fail, every time someone purchases a new console for gaming – whether it’s Xbox, PlayStation or even PC – the first question that the person asks is “What are some good games that I should buy?” It’s a question that I have been asked repeatedly by friends and family, and a question that I love to discuss with those who are new and unfamiliar to the console, as well as those who are more experienced in gaming.

Because the “What to buy” question is one that has been asked many times on this very forum, I wanted to put together a list of some of games that are essential to play for the PlayStation 3.

This is NOT a list of exclusive games for the PlayStation, but rather a list of some of the best games to help build the ultimate PlayStation library & get the maximum enjoyment out of Sony’s gaming console. I am very much aware that some of the games on this list have been released on other consoles.

There are a number of games that could have made this list but didn’t. For example: Why did Uncharted 1 & 2 make this list but not Uncharted 3? For the sole reason that the Uncharted Dual pack gives you a bigger bang for your buck. The point is that anyone could make a valid argument for any game that should be on this list and I encourage everyone to comment and share their thoughts on games that should have made this list.

Also, I tried to make this list as diverse as possible & include games of a wide number of genres. I didn’t include a game like Grand Theft Auto IV, because I included Red Dead Redemption and the two games are very similar, so I chose what I considered the better game.

The following is a list, in no particular order, of PlayStation games that deserve to be experienced by all PS3 gamers, both those new to the console, as well as long time users.

Uncharted 1 & 2 (Dual Pack)

uncharted%2Bdual%2Bpack.jpg

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America
Developer: Naughty Dog​

The Uncharted series is one of the PS3’s biggest & best franchises. This action/adventure game combines platforming with third-person shooting gameplay elements to create some of the best action & set pieces in gaming, along with an incredible story. The Uncharted games also have some of the best visuals that were second to none.

You play as Nathan Drake, a modern day treasure hunter & descendant of Sir François Drake, as he travels the world in search of hidden mysteries & riches such as the lost treasure of El Dorado & the lost city of Shambhala. While in search of the treasure, you’ll engage in gunfight battles with pirates, swing from jungle vines, scale ancient walls & solve puzzles, all accompanied by your friend Victor Sullivan & a female companion.

A multiplayer gameplay was added in Uncharted 2, comprising of both competitive and co-operative multiplayer. The co-op multiplayer allows up to three players to take on the the roles of Drake and two other "hero" companions and features missions involving gunfights, platforming, and teamwork-based objectives. The competitive multiplayer allows ten players to play against each other in two teams of five in modes such as Deathmatch, Plunder, Elimination, King of the Hill, and Turf War.

The strong story, characters, beautiful visuals, & cinematic set pieces truly show what the PlayStation 3 is capable of in a gaming experience. These games should not go unplayed.

REVIEWS:

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

IGN: 9.1 out of 10
Metacritc: 88 out of 100
Game Informer: 8.75 out of 10
Gamerankings: 89.70%

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
IGN: 9.5 out of 10
Metacritic: 96 out of 100
Game Informer 10 out of 10
Gamerankings: 96.41%

Heavy Rain

20100112090214!Heavy_Rain_Cover_Art.jpg

Developer: Quantic Dream​

Heavy Rain is an innovative, intriguing and immersive drama psychological thriller video game, featuring four protagonists involved with the mystery of the Origami Killer.

The player interacts with the game by performing actions highlighted on screen related to motions on the controller, and in some cases, performing a series of quick time events during fast-paced action sequences. The player's decisions and actions during the game will affect the narrative. For example: You can kill the main characters and the game will still progress leading to different scenes and endings.

REVIEWS:

IGN: 9.0 out of 10
Metacritc: 87 out of 100
Game Informer: 9.5 out of 10
Gamerankings: 89.30%

Little Big Planet 2

657_54839_P.jpg

Developer: Media Molecule​

LittleBigPlanet 2 is a puzzle platformer video game, with a strong focus on user-generated content (more than 3 million levels created by users in the first game carry-over and are playable and editable in LittleBigPlanet 2.) In Little Big Planet 2, not only are tools provided for the player to create levels, but also specific games such as racing, puzzle, role-playing, as well as actual cutscenes to further add to their created content.

In the game’s actual campaign, players play as Sackboy, who teams with an organization known as “The Alliance” to battle an inter-dimensional vacuum cleaner called the Negativitron before it destroys Sackboy`s world.

The in game campaign is excellent, but it`s the ingenious levels that are crafted by the fan community that is truly amazing and delightful. With the constant addition of playable levels and games by the LBP community, there is literally endless hours of original play.

REVIEWS:

IGN: 9.0 out of 10
Metacritc: 92 out of 100
Gamerankings: 92.57%

Bioshock

256px-Bioshockcoverfinalcropped.jpg

Publisher: 2K Games
Developer: 2K Boston​

Bioshock is a first person shooter set in an alternate 1960, the game puts the player in the role of a plane crash survivor named Jack, who must explore the underwater city of Rapture, and use weapons and genetic alterations to survive attacks by the mutated beings and mechanical drones that populate it. The game incorporates elements found in role-playing and survival games.

Bioshock features a fresh and original immersive atmosphere and environment, unique setting and mortality based storyline with a twist at the end that the player won`t expect.

REVIEWS:

IGN: 9.7 out of 10
Metacritc: 94 out of 100
Game Informer: 9.0 out of 10
Gamerankings: 94$=%

Mass Effect 2

146004610.jpg

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: BioWare​

Mass Effect 2 features a spectacular story with intense action and game-changing decisions.

This action/role-playing game takes place after the events of Mass Effect. You play as Commander Shepard who dies when the spaceship you are aboard attacked by an unknown starship. Shepard's body is recovered and he/she is brought back to life by Cerberus, a human supremacist organization led by the Illusive Man. Shepard eventually learns that the Reapers were responsible and working by proxy through an insect-like species called the Collectors, and that they are responsible for entire human colonies disappearing throughout the galaxy. Shepard must recruit and gain the loyalty of a diverse team in order to defeat the Collectors in a suicide mission.

The decisions that you make as you advance throughout the game, affect the final outcome & in turn with affect your playing experience in Mass Effect 3 when it is released.

Mass Effect 2 was released a year after it was released on Xbox 360and PC, but the PS3 disc contains over six hours of bonus content that was released as downloadable content to the 360 and PC.

REVIEWS:

IGN: 9.6 out of 10
Game Informer: 9.75 out of 10
Gamerankings: 94%

Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition

images

Publisher: Rockstar Games
Developer: Rockstar North​

Red Dead Redemption is an open world action-adventure western video game, taking place in the year 1911, during the decline of the American Old West. The game follows John Marston, a former outlaw, while he sets out to hunt down his former gang members. Marston's wife and son are taken hostage by the government in ransom for his services as a bounty hunter. Having no other choice, he sets out to bring his three former gang members to justice.

In addition to following the main storyline, you can take part in random events they encounter as they explore the West. These include public hangings, ambushes, pleas for assistance, stranger encounters, "ride-by" shootings, and dangerous animal attacks You can also take part in optional side activities including duels, bounty hunting, herb collecting, gambling, and hunting animals for pelts, meat and other various items.

The gorgeous old west visuals, deep story and excellent characters, are topped off by a mortality system that affects how you are viewed by non-playable characters in the game, constantly changing how the world interacts with you

Red Dead Redemption also includes online multiplayer with a maximum of 16 players per session. Every multiplayer game, both free-for-all and team based, will begin with a Mexican standoff. Survivors of the standoff will be able to move to any part of the battlefield in preparation for respawning enemies.

Multiplayer modes included: Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Grab the Back, & Gold Rush. There is also a free roam gameplay where all players in the server can form and join player "posses" and take part in activities such as attacking computer-controlled gang hideouts or other player posses, go hunting, and create in-server matches etc.

The Game of the Year Edition also includes: Additional weapons, and missions, outfits, maps, challenges, Downloadable Content & the Undead Nightmare signgle-player campaign and multiplayer modes.

REVIEWS:

Metacritc: 95 out of 100
Game Informer: 9.75 out of 10
Gamerankings: 94.76%

Batman: Arkham City

Batman%20Arkham%20City-300x300.jpg

Publisher: Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment
Developer: Rocksteady Games​

Arkham City is a third person, action game, that takes place one year after the events of Arkham Asylum. Quincy Sharp, former warden of Arkham Asylum, has taken credit for stopping the Joker's Asylum takeover, and used the notoriety to become mayor of Gotham City. Deeming Arkham and Blackgate Penitentiary no longer suitable to contain the city's criminals and insane, Sharp has both facilities closed and buys out a large section of Gotham's slums, converting them into an immense open-air prison named Arkham City, which is home to a vast number of Batman’s rogue gallery, which must be defeated.

Along with a number of Batman’s villians such as Two-Face, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze & The Joker, Arkham City also features a wide variety of iconic locations and Gotham City landmarks such as the Iceberg Lounge, Monarch Theatre, Crime Alley & Ace Chemicles.

You control Batman as you make your way around Arkham City to completing mission objectives. In addition to the primary mission, the game introduces secondary missions featuring a number of key characters and their stories. At times, you are forced to fight inmates using an a Freeflow combat system which allows for multiple simultaneous counters, the ability to counter thrown objects, powerful multi-strike beat-downs, as well as Batarang & Batclaw attacks.

REVIEWS:

Metacritc: 96 out of 10
Game Informer: 10 out of 10
Gamerankings: 96.10

Portal 2

portal-2-ps3.jpg

Publisher: Valve Corporation
Developer: Valve Corporation​

The Portal games are two of the most original and unique gaming experiences that the PlayStation has to offer. This a first-person puzzle/platform game comprises a series of puzzles that must be solved by teleporting the player's character and simple objects using the "portal gun", a device that can create inter-spatial portals between two flat planes. The game's physics allow momentum to be retained through these portals, which must be used creatively to maneuver through the game's challenges.

Within the single player campaign, the player returns as the human Chell, having awakened from stasis after many years. Chell must navigate the now-dilapidated Aperture Science Enrichment Center and its test chambers with the portal gun while the facility is rebuilt by the reactivated GLaDOS, an evil artificially intelligent computer that first appeared in Portal. Portal manages to find a perfect balance between difficulty and rewarding the player for completing each test chamber.

Portal 2 also includes a two-player co-operative mode, in which the robotic player-characters Atlas and P-Body are each given a portal gun and are required to work together to solve test chambers specifically designed to require cooperation.

Valve, the games developers and publisher, has released additional support for the game, in the form of free downloadable content and a simplified map editor to allow players to create and share test chambers with others.

REVIEWS:

Metacritc: 9.5 out of 100
Gamerankings: 93.85

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

THEELDERSCROLLVSKYRIMPS3.jpg

Publisher: Bethesda Game Studio
Developer: Bethesda Softworks​

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is role-playing video game that takes place in the land of Skyrim, which is in the midst of a civil war after the assassination of the high king. The story revolves around your efforts to defeat the Nordic dragon god Alduin, who is prophesied to destroy the world. The open world, nonlinear gameplay in Skyrim allows the player to explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely, but raiding dungeons, completing various quests and challenges given to the player by non-playable characters, providing hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Character development is a primary element of Skyrim. At the beginning of the game, the player selects one of several human, elven, or anthropomorphic races, each of which has different natural abilities, and customizes their character's appearance. A perpetual objective for the player is to improve their character's skills, which are numerical representations of their ability in certain areas such as combat, magic and stealth.

The inclusion of dragons in Skyrim affords a major influence on both story and gameplay.. They are randomly-generated, meaning their numbers are infinite, and they can attack cities and towns at any time. Early in the game, the player character learns that they are Dragonborn, which allows the player to use powerful spells called dragon shouts. Twenty different dragon shouts can be discovered by visiting "dragon walls" in dungeons, and they are unlocked for use by absorbing the souls of slain dragons.

REVIEWS:

Metacritc: 95 out of 100
Gamerankings: 95.52%

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

1283996829.jpg

Publisher: Activision
Developer: Infinity Ward​

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a first-person shooter video game, that breaks away from the World War II setting of all previous Call of Duty games and is instead set the year 2011, with modern weaponry and equipment.

In the single player campaign where a radical leader has executed the president of an unnamed country in the Middle East, and an "Ultranationalist" movement starts a civil war in Russia. You switch perspectives between a U.S. Reconnaissance Marine and a British SAS commando and engage the Ultranationalist in multiple locations, including Credenhill in the UK, the Middle East, Russia, and the Ukraine.

The main attraction to Modern Warfare is the revolutionary multiplayer portion of the game that features various game modes, and contains an addictive leveling system that allows the player to unlock additional weapons, weapon attachments, and camouflage schemes as they advance. The online multiplayer also has never before seen features such as “killstreaks” which reward the player with perks such as UAV, airstrikes, helicopter support etc, which provide a slight advantage to the player and the team.

REVIEWS:

IGN: 9.4 out of 10
Gamerankings: 93.54 %​

Above are ten games that should be experienced on the PlayStation. All would make for an excellent addition to anyone’s library of games.

Do you agree with this list?
Are there any games that you would have included?
Are there any games that you would remove?

I would like to add:

- God of War 1-3
- Dead Island(though, you got an incredibly RPG already in Skyrim)
- Borderlands

I just recently bought my PS3, so most of the games on Merk's list are in my queue on Gamefly. The only 3 games I own right now are Batman: Arkham Asylum, Uncharted, & Fallout 3 (I was able to get all 3 used for less than $50). The only one of those I've put anytime into so far is Batman, fantastic game. I fully plan on getting Arkham City at some point, either when I finish or Asylum or the price on City drops & I can get it for about $30 or less, which ever comes first. I recently got LBP2 in from Gamefly, I've played it for a little bit but have been too busy to really put much time into it. Fun game so far though.

Sonic Generations is a game I would recommend just off playing the demo, that shit was fun as hell, & reminded me alot of the old Sonic games, the good ones, that might be one the few games I'm willing to buy brand new. So if you haven't downloaded the demo for that yet, then I recommend doing that, hopefully the rest of the game is as fun as the demo!

Yeah i like to add
Gears of war 3
Call of duty 4
i have heard a lot of these games.

How on earth is Gears of War 3 a "Essential PS3 game" if it's a fucking 360 exclusive?!? I would love to hear how you are able to play 360 games on a PS3, also COD 4 was mentioned in the OP, why mention it again when the OP is asking if you have any other games you would recommend as PS3 essentials. Did you even read the OP at all?!

Also would it be possible for you people to explain why you think your suggestions are essential PS3 games? Fuck sake I'd loved to hear why I should give these games a shot rather than just see a bunch of people spamming up what could be a useful thread with nothing but spammy lists.

The main one I can think of would have to be Gran turismo five. It's great if the ps3 is your first ever console or if you're crossing over from the 360 (seeing it's only for the ps3). GT5 is one of the best car racing games you can get.

The main one I can think of would have to be Gran turismo five. It's great if the ps3 is your first ever console or if you're crossing over from the 360 (seeing it's only for the ps3). GT5 is one of the best car racing games you can get.

I haven't been able to hardly get into the GT^ since I bought a ps3, because of playing the Forza games so much, GT% just isn't as good, at all. (now I want to play the newest Forza game... which I don't have yet.)

I'll threw a few out here.

Demon Souls
Demon%27s_Souls_Cover.jpg

A good throwback to old hardcore games that are sadly dying out and not being as popular anymore as they don't hold our hands throughout the game like just about every other game these days.Demon’s Souls is an absolutely fantastic game and has provided me with the one of the most enjoyable but at the same time frustrating experiences of most games I’ve ever played. There are a few problems with the game but this isn’t really a problem with the game itself but rather of the choice on how the game was marketed. I didn’t experience the same grievances I heard others experience and I think it was a really poor decision to package this hardcore a game without a sufficiently matched manual or game guide. It would have been better to only sell the collectors edition that came with the guide. (The game guide really only provided good information - it did not make the gameplay itself easier per se). In all this is the game I would pick if I could only keep one. It was extremely entertaining and after you invest some time in the game and learn all the games features it will likely become your favorite. Even if it doesn’t it certainly is worth a first play for sure. It had an adequate creation system that was a little annnoying but gets the job done. The game is an RPG that manages to stick in features that other similar RPG's(I'm looking at you Oblivion) weren't able to accomplish at all such as boss battles and a good online system that doesn't mess up the game itself. Soundtrack was also excellent and solo/online is equally good although I enjoyed online more. There are a lot of ways to pick and choose how to nag your way through and accomplish endgame, and that is what I liked about it so much.

Reviews
Game Informer: 9 out of 10
GamePro: 4 stars out of 5
GameSpot: 9 out of 10
Metacritic: 89% out of 100%

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
mgs4_box.jpeg

A fantastic game that provides a fantastic conclusion to a fantastic series of games(I don't count the next one as being part of the series). A game that pretty much shows us that Konomi really knows how to make a fantastically immersive film that even puts a few Hollywood blockbusters to shame with it's enthralling story. The game sets the player anew by replacing out strong, suave masculine soldier(Not Raiden), and replacing him with an old, broken down pensioner who is nothing but a shadow of what he once was. The game's characters are Oscar worthy particularly the character of Octacon who can never seem to catch a break(Or stop crying) and is to us the one character who all the pain and suffering is effecting. His emotions and character is altogether fantastic and he is very relatable. The stealth system has always been fantastic and Konomi has built on it and made it better than it's predecessors. With interesting levels & an amazing mix of fun and serious characters that don't hurt the game MGS4 will emerge you deep into the world of Solid Snake for hours and hours and you wont get bored. This is truly a must have game, because you will have missed one of the gaming worlds Brighest pearls if you don't. In Snake's final chapter we learn about the Patriots and Liquid's last stand. Relevant to foreign policy today, PMCs and global uprisings create a history that one can truly get enveloped in. On the PS3, a system that can provide such great graphics, sound, and realism, this game will blur the line between games and art.

Reviews
GamePro: 5 stars out of 5
GameSpot: 10 out of 10
Metacritic: 94% out of 100%

The Orange Box
Hltob-win-cover.jpg

At this stage it's quite old but what needs to be said? It's 5 games on one disc that would be very cheap at this stage. This game should be bought just for the sheer quality of getting 5 games for such a low price in these hard times. We'll look at each game alone here and why purchasing these games together is such a great deal when one is worth the exact price standing alone.

Team Fortress 2
One of the funnest games I have ever played. There's not an inkling of seriousness anywhere in this game. It's just one big cartoon. The classes are all unique with fun light-heated personalities(SANDVICH!!) and are all balanced which makes picking a class and sticking to one inessential. Controls are ultra-smooth and the game-play is FUN. FUN being the important word here. The game may look simple at first glance, but is a very complex shooter. Pretty much still a perfect team game after all these years. Nothing is unnecessary or excessive, besides some items and the gaming is extremely fast paced. It gets you worked up like no other and when played competitively, it is the most satisfying game in the world. This game is arguably valve's best creation by far. It is humorous, but at the same time, intense. Hell if you don't have a PS3 and have a half decent PC then it's currently free on Steam!

Reviews
GameSpot: 8.5 out of 10
IGN: 8.9 out of 10
Metacritic: 92 out of 100%​

Portal
There's a good reason that this game received a stand alone sequel. It's a game that presents us with both really dark & deadpan humor and head scratching puzzles so intense that some colleges use this game to provide examples of certain laws in physics. It was one of the most unique games of 2008. Although the game was short, it's gameplay more than made up for it. The game progresses very well from simple tasks at the beginning to incredibly hard ones at the end. I see no reason why playing this game is not on one persons agenda.

Reviews
IGN: 8.2 out of 10
Metacritic: 90 out of 100%​

Half Life 2(/w episode 1 & 2)
Personally my favourite game series of all time. It is by far one of the best games I have ever played and is quite deserving of the moniker of best game of the 21st century. A virtually flawless experience, a sublime, cinematic thrill-ride that you'll want to play again and again. People can claim it to be one of the first games that has ever lived up to all the hype surrounding it(And there was a lot). This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - Artificial Intelligence. They have smarts and know exactly what to do and when you have loaded even the simplest map on the Hammer Editor you know how much work goes into making this. The only negative point I have about the game(Which isn’t really it’s fault) is that the games ending left us hungry and wanting more of the game and a sequel which we’ll most likely never see. Half Life 2 is the gold package of gaming and sets a scale for what all First person shooters should be like.

Reviews
Metacritic: 96 out of 100%​

I'm also gonna throw a nod towards muffin and all the fantastic games he put up there.

Little Big Planet 2 - Family friendly, extremely fun, lots of replay value
Uncharted 1,2 & 3 - The whole series is a masterpiece. Excellent shooter/adventure/ and story.
Braid- One of the best indie games ever that made it big. Artsy, creative, and a wonderful pain in the ass.
Pain- PSN downloadable game that is a lot of fun, cheap, and hysterical with groups of people involved
Dungeon Defender- Another great PSN downloadable for the tower-defense RPG-esk fan.
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- Yes, I'm on the bandwagon. Incredible game. Massive. Never-ending. I get lost in it every time I play.
Dark Souls- This is only for people that like extremely difficult games that will make you want to die...and you will die...over and over again
Catherine- Artsy, Japanese-inspired, creepy-ass puzzle game. So good.

I think that's a decent enough list that allows anybody to find something they like.

Highly recommend Heavy Rain. It was the first PS3 exclusive that I felt was absolutely necessary to experience with quite an engrossing story. The only complaint is that's it's more an interactive story and less of a game so for those that aren't too into cinematic you might be bored

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back