• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

English Premiership 12-13 Discussion

harrythem

Championship Contender
Well the count-down to the August 18th return of English football has begun and, in the prem, it's all starting to get interesting on the transfer front....

Firstly I'm a Gooner but even I wish this Van Persie business was just sorted. We were fine before him, we'll be fine without him. If Podolski and Giroud can live up to their potential then that's 2 quality signings up top, although that still leaves us very light in defence which Wenger needs to address asap if we're going to have a chance of even remotely challenging for the title.

Man City seem to have been rather quiet as of late. I'm still expecting Dzeko and Tevez to be on the way out of the Etihad and, if they're really going to go for Van Persie, I wouldn't say no for a deal where one of them heads in the direction of the Emirates (preferably Dzeko, he's less of a diva). With their squad, and especially Kompany (best defender in the prem IMO) it's going to be a mission to get the title away from them.

Man United have signed Scholes for another year and done a few bits of business but, again, they need to shore up their defence. Evra hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was for the last few years and Vidic's absence hurt them greatly last season. They'll still challenge, no doubt, but I don't see their squad as being stronger. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's the weakest United squad in years.

Spurs have got an interesting situation brewing. Modric is off soon but they've got Bale tied down, Van Der Vart is staying and Adebayor looks to be on his way in. The interesting thing will be to see how the ego's of AVB, VDV and Adebayor co-exist. It was ego (and player power) that did in AVB at Chelsea, could easily see the same thing happening at Spurs. Saying that though, they do have a pretty good squad and, unless things go tits up, can't see them blowing up as badly as last season and finishing below Arsenal again. Dark Horses, if the stars align.

Chelseas seem to be going through their rebuild slowly but surely. Yeah they still have an ageing squad but, there is some massive talent there. The real question is if they can get another striker in as I still don't think Torres is going to click at the Bridge. Losing Drogba is massive as well as he's unlike anything else in the prem. Again, could do great but, could also carry on last years mediocre (by their standards) league season.

There's plenty more, with it being really interesting at Liverpool in particular but, that'd involve me going on and on and on.

I've still got City down to retain the title (as it stands) but, the rest of the top 4 seems to be up in the air to me. With any 3 from Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool (depending on Rogers) so it could be a tasty season.

What are your thoughts on the most exciting (even if it's not of the highest quality) league in the world?

Manchester United completed the signings of Nick Powell and Shinji Kagawa interested to see how Shinji will adapt to the Man U style of play. Manchester seem to be very stocked in the midfield department with the likes of Anderson, Scholes, Valencia already quality midfielders. But nonetheless Alex Ferguson knows his stuff.
Excited to see Liverpool progress under new coach Brendad Rodgers. Liverpool is my favourite team in the EPL, Rodgers has already impressed me by writing off Andy Carroll as his preferred striker with the signing of Borini. Nonetheless an exciting season up ahead as always.

Unless Man Utd bring in some more quality signings- I know they are strongly linked with RVP, then I cannot see the title leaving the Etihad Stadium trophy room this season. Man City have by far the strongest squad in the league, and I am sure they will add a couple more big money signings before the season gets under way- they are also linked with Van Persie, and if he arrives at the club then they could be almost unstoppable.

I think Chelsea look a good bet for 2nd spot. They were rejuvenated under Di Matteo, and have already brought in Oscar for next season, who looks a real talent as well as other big money deals in Marco Marin and Eden Hazard. With Torres looking good at the Euros, John Terry's trial over with and other class acts in the likes of Cech, Cahill and Lampard, I think Chelsea could be the team to challenge City.

Man Utd look weaker than they have in years, Liverpool won't be challenging for the league until Rogers can stamp his style on the club, and Arsenal still need to strengthen, especially if RVP goes, although Giroud and Podolski are great signings.

My prediction for the top 4

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham (although 3-5 are pretty interchangable)

Sadly, alot of my attention will be on the Championship, as Bolton were relegated last season. I think we have a good chance to come back up next year as long as we keep our better players in Chung Yong Lee, Mark Davies and Stuart Holden (who will hopefully be fit soon). Adding Keith Andrews and Matt Mills has strengthened us, and alot of the aging dead wood has been cleared out, so HOPEFULLY we can get back among the elite for the 2013-14 season

I tell you what, Bolton have done well standing by Coyle. It's hard to get out of the Championship trying to play attractive football but, I think you guys can do it. Especially if you keep that young Ryu (or whatever he's called) Arsenal leant you on loan again

Very interested to see what Andre Villas-Boas brings to Tottenham following Redknapp's departure. Villas-Boas will be very eager to prove himself following his disappointing run at Chelsea. He's made some impressive signings with Sigurdsson but he'll face a battle retaining Modric(keen on Real Madrid transfer) and Van Der Vart who have both beeen key in Tottenham's resurgence as a top 4 club.

Newcastle will be interesting to watch to see if they are a legitimate top team in the EPL or whether it was just a lucky season. Hearing reports many clubs are keen on Demba Ba, no surprise considering his super run during last season.

It is way to early to predict in my opinion. Teams will still strengthen considerably before the season starts. Chelsea and Man Utd have been heavily linked with various players the last few days and Man City havent dipped into the Arabs purse yet either!

Arsenal and Spurs to be respected as well. Interesting what happens at Newcastle too.

All depends on who goes where in the remaining month and a half but as it stands i can't look past City for the title. They are to strong and I imagine once they shift some players they will improve and be too dominant.

Obviously United will be up there as well. Simply because of SAF. They need defenders and CM's so if they can get top quality in those positions then they may challenge City.

Chelsea are looking stronger as well and if Torres is back to his best then they will also challenge.
With or Without RVP i'm sure Arsenal will have a good season. They need another GK, CB and a CM wouldn't harm either. Gordon, Jagielka and M'villa would be good signings.

Spurs are a weird one. When Redknapp got sacked it looked like they would have no chance of top 4 but it looks like Bale and Van der Vaart are staying and they have made good signings. One or two more and they will definitely be able to challenge the others.

My prediction (as it stands)

1) Man City
2) Man Utd
3) Chelsea
4) Arsenal
5) Spurs
6) Liverpool
7) Newcastle.

Couldn't care less who wins the league. Man City won last year, it was exciting, whatever. I was at Stoke and I didn't leave until the final crying Bolton fan left. Now that's entertainment.

Unfortunately I think I couldbe a crying fan at the end of this season. Off the top of my head I think Stoke have won 4 league Games since December and that's relegation form. Looking at that form and how the newer teams are spening I think we might be in trouble.

Then again, Swansea, Norwich & Wigan are probably going to be in trouble as well. Fuck it, I've changed my mind. Mid-table it is.

I can't see anyone stopping Man City this season. Man U haven't strengthened enough, Arsenal aren't capable until they sort that defence, Spurs with AVB is going to be a disaster, it's only Chelsea that might be some threat now they're rebuilding.

I don't think City are as clear cut winners as they're being made out to be. With that being said, I'm not expecting Chelsea to win the League, I'll be happy with a top three finish. The team has new players coming in and they're going to need to gel, build chemistry and adapt to the Premier League, if Torres is not scoring it will hugely hinder Chelsea too.

Ferguson isn't happy at all with City winning the League and is more active in the transfer market than he has been in years, a lot of my Man Utd supporting friends are expecting a change in their system that will be more similar to City's. Utd were always going to challenge anyway, but with more motive and a better squad, it's going to be closer than people are thinking. Not necessarily as close as last season, but close.

Tottenham & AVB has trainwreck written all over it, I don't care what players are signing contracts, if AVB's man-management doesn't improve Spurs will not finish in the top four.

Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool is an interesting one. Will Liverpool successfully recieve Rodger's style of football? If so then they won't necessarily challenge for the top four just yet, however it'll be a lot more pleasing for their fans than recent years have been to watch their team playing good football. Or will Liverpool just falter yet again? Last season I was expecting them to break into the top four and they had their worst season for decades. I want to say they'll get into the top six but We'll just have to wait and see.

Arsenal will finish in the top four with or without RVP. However with RVP and a couple of defensive signings, I'm thinking that they could challenge for the Title, but knowing Arsenal's board and Wenger, they'll just settle for a nice fee for RVP and a top four finish. Profits first, trophies second with modern Arsenal.

I don't think City are as clear cut winners as they're being made out to be. With that being said, I'm not expecting Chelsea to win the League, I'll be happy with a top three finish. The team has new players coming in and they're going to need to gel, build chemistry and adapt to the Premier League, if Torres is not scoring it will hugely hinder Chelsea too.

Ferguson isn't happy at all with City winning the League and is more active in the transfer market than he has been in years, a lot of my Man Utd supporting friends are expecting a change in their system that will be more similar to City's. Utd were always going to challenge anyway, but with more motive and a better squad, it's going to be closer than people are thinking. Not necessarily as close as last season, but close.

Tottenham & AVB has trainwreck written all over it, I don't care what players are signing contracts, if AVB's man-management doesn't improve Spurs will not finish in the top four.

Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool is an interesting one. Will Liverpool successfully recieve Rodger's style of football? If so then they won't necessarily challenge for the top four just yet, however it'll be a lot more pleasing for their fans than recent years have been to watch their team playing good football. Or will Liverpool just falter yet again? Last season I was expecting them to break into the top four and they had their worst season for decades. I want to say they'll get into the top six but We'll just have to wait and see.

Arsenal will finish in the top four with or without RVP. However with RVP and a couple of defensive signings, I'm thinking that they could challenge for the Title, but knowing Arsenal's board and Wenger, they'll just settle for a nice fee for RVP and a top four finish. Profits first, trophies second with modern Arsenal.

Being a Liverpool fan my self, this is what i'm looking forward to most. Although my expectations of Liverpool aren't too high as of right now which is understandable, i will be patient in letting Brendan Rodgers implement his style and brand of football upon the team and reserve my judgement till then. He aims to play a more possession based style of football, but my problem with this is does Liverpool have the technically skilled talent to pull it off. We shall wait and see.

As a Chelsea fan I am very excited to see how well the team clicks, because if Torres can return to his best, and with the likes of Hazard and Marin joining our ranks, it would be hard to stop us if the team clicks. If not however, I would say we get third behind United or City with maybe the FA cup which we somehow always win. Excited to see how we perform.

As a Chelsea fan I am very excited to see how well the team clicks, because if Torres can return to his best, and with the likes of Hazard and Marin joining our ranks, it would be hard to stop us if the team clicks. If not however, I would say we get third behind United or City with maybe the FA cup which we somehow always win. Excited to see how we perform.

Chelsea completed the signings of Oscar and Eden Hazard's brother Thorgan which is also another promising young talent that Chelsea have snapped up. Di Matteo has really pushed the notion of rebuilding his ageing squad with these young up and coming stars. If Torres displays the form he had in the EURO tournament, then Chelsea really can challenge for top spot in the EPL.

I think it will be a competitive season with Man U,Man City, Chelsea challenging for the title with Arsenal and Spurs being the dark horses.

How Man city perform will largely depend on the fitness and availability of YaYa Toure.
Man U will always find a way to gain points to stay in contention even when playing poorly. They will have their captain back this time round after losing the title by goal difference last season.
Chelsea with all their attacking signings can either bomb spectacularly like last season or gallop all the way to the title.
Arsenal are still one of the better passing sides that have pace to burn to trouble any team.
Spurs can be a trainwreck with the egos involved (AVB, VdV, Bale, and a wantaway Modric would will most likely to be sold last minute) but they will have the motivation of a Champions League spot stolen away after finishing 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back