English League Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Apparently not as important as the F.A. Cup. I don't agree, it's very important to teams who don't win anything. That being almost every team in Britain.

So yeah my question is - Make the League Cup into a British cup, yay or nay?

Add the Welsh & Scottish teams to the League Cup, make it different. I'll ignore the Irish, fucked if I know which one doesn't count as part of Britain. The actual answer is neither, but that's a little known fact. But one is more British than the other.

Would Premier Scottish teams really want to be knocked out of the cup by Dag & Red?

The League Cup has restored some of its prestige due to the fact that only Arsenal properly play their reserves in it, and it is a way into Europe. For teams like Tottenham, it is a massively important cup.

Firstly, adding Welsh teams is not a good idea. My brother used to play in the League of Wales, so I used to go to matches quite a lot, and the standard is far worse than League 2 so it'd be a bit of an embarrassment to have them in.

The same goes for all of the Scottish teams below the SPL. Even teams like Falkirk and Hamilton take players on loan from league 2 clubs, and that is about their level. The only teams who'd add anything at all to the competition are Celtic and Rangers, and I don't think they'd do it, because it would prove once and for all that they were not up to the same level as English Premiership teams.

You've got to think of fan interest as well as eneral finance. If you are a Man Utd fan, you are not going to pay to watch your youth team beat East Stirling or Aberystwyth Town. Teams in South Wales like Haverfordwest can't really afford to take a team to play Elgin in the highlands, just to play in front of about 3 people. Finally, there'd have to be so many matches, I don't think the European qualifiers would appreciate more games, especially when it's quite likely they'll be playing some nobodies from the Scottish lower leagues.

So, to be honest, I don't think it'd be a very good idea.

Yay, I cant see any of the FA's going for it, You know, With them noting wanting to be formed into one nation. :lmao:

It would be an intresting cup, Wales would no doubt have any team past the 3rd round depending how the cup was played as their league is on par with the BSP, I reckon the Scotish teams could do alright, Rangers, And Celtic are Champions league teams, And I think Hearts, Aberdeen, And Hibs, The rest are champioship teams, Any lower than that are crap. But if it would happen i'd put money on the winner being an English team. We have too much quality in our teams for anything else to happen.

The thread mostly came about because somebody on Soccer Saturday said that anything can happen in the cup. I chuckled because I though ''Yeah, in the early rounds''.

Scottish teams don't do well in the Champions League very often, and they're easily beaten if they face any English teams. The League & F.A. Cup also already feature a couple of Welsh teams.

The League & F.A. Cup also already feature a couple of Welsh teams.

Yeah, but Wrexham, Cardiff etc. are miles better than the teams who actually play in the Welsh league. Honestly, I spent my youth watching Holywell Town, and the quality of the absolute best teams is a Conference level, the quality of the worst teams is beyond shit.

The Welsh teams that are in the English league are there because there wasn't a Welsh league until about 1993, so any teams thta were good enough had to go in the Welsh league.

i dont think the League cup should include teams from scotland and wales, im sure they have their own competitions. i think they should up the anti of the cups, giving the winners from both the league and FA cup Champions League Qualification instead of the 3rd and 4th place teams gettin in. plus it would make the Premiership more important as the only way to get in to it would be first or second.

As another alternative just keep the teams already in the champions league out of the league cup, that would mean Scumchester, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal wouldn't be in it giving more chance to the lower premiership teams and teams from the lower leagues.

Side Note: id have loved to have seen Burnley in the Final, Damn them Spurs

i dont think the League cup should include teams from scotland and wales, im sure they have their own competitions. i think they should up the anti of the cups, giving the winners from both the league and FA cup Champions League Qualification instead of the 3rd and 4th place teams gettin in. plus it would make the Premiership more important as the only way to get in to it would be first or second.

As another alternative just keep the teams already in the champions league out of the league cup, that would mean Scumchester, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal wouldn't be in it giving more chance to the lower premiership teams and teams from the lower leagues.

Side Note: id have loved to have seen Burnley in the Final, Damn them Spurs

I think it would a bad idea for the cup winners to go into the Champions League as that competition should be for League champions only, hence the name Champions League.

As for keeping out the Champions League teams, that would be unfair on all 4 teams as they have as much right to be in the League Cup as every other team as they are League teams

I have a bit of a soft spot for the league cup. I like the way lower league clubs get their way to the final and I love the fact that if the final consists of a "top four team" then the other team is almost guaranteed a spot in Europe next season which means they can concentrate on the league- spurs are a great example of this - there is no way in hell utd are not going to be in the top 4 come the end of the season which give spurs the uefa cup spot meaning he can not concentrate on the league and the league alone and even if he finishes 16th he's had a successful season as spurs wil be in the premier league next season AND in Europe

anyways 2 cents spent - yay for the league cup

Oh the rest of the UK thing - that could be fun, any team can win the odd game over 90 minutes and I'd personally love to see Hearts play against some English teams

I have a bit of a soft spot for the league cup. I like the way lower league clubs get their way to the final and I love the fact that if the final consists of a "top four team" then the other team is almost guaranteed a spot in Europe next season which means they can concentrate on the league- spurs are a great example of this -

This rule only applies to the FA Cup, but I would like it to apply to the League Cup as it will mean England will have another representative in the UEFA Cup

really?

what happens to the league cup winners uefa cup spot then? does it transferred who premier league position or allocated elsewhere in Europe? - Sorry, I know its slightly off topic but I always thought if the winner of the league cup qualified for the CL then the runner up got the uefa cup spot

really?

what happens to the league cup winners uefa cup spot then? does it transferred who premier league position or allocated elsewhere in Europe? - Sorry, I know its slightly off topic but I always thought if the winner of the league cup qualified for the CL then the runner up got the uefa cup spot

really?

It goes to 6th place in the league. The runner up in the league cup is not entitiled to a European position. If both FA cup finalists qualify for Europe anyway, then their spot goes to 7th place.

That brings up another problem with a British wide cup - you'd have to decide which countries UEFA cup spot would go to the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back