• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Edge vs. Jericho...Rushed and Too Soon?

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
I was thinking about this earlier today, while gearing up for Wrestlemania. We all know the backstory for Edge and Jericho. They won the titles, and during a house show, I think, Edge ruptured his Achilles. Jericho does the heel thing and beats him up to play the injury to the crowd, calling him weak, yadda yadda. Edge wins the Rumble, gets his shot at Mania. To me, it seemed like he rushed back. I'll explain soon and more long windedly.

Now the interesting thing is, I was reading a post in their WM thread from Y 2 Jake, basically asking if people are still interested in the match, and saying it is likely two months since people have been interested in Edge. Whether that is Jake just being cynical or not, it got me thinking. Sure, Edge vs. Jericho is definitely the feud to go with when you would think about an Edge return.

But what if Edge didn't come back until after Wrestlemania? They could have turned it into a four month in-person feud ending at Summerslam, after Edge was left stirring for 6-8 months rehabbing. Or, and this is where a fan's patience would be in dire need, Edge could have came back, and not worry about Jericho for a few months, until one night on Smackdown, or hell, maybe a PPV, costing him a match, Edge just lays him out with a weapon, grabs a mic, and says "I didn't forget".

In theory, and with patience I know a good portion of the IWC and wrestling fans, or society for that matter, in general don't have anymore, this feud would go until Wrestlemania 27, and we possibly have a bigger payoff than this two month feud. Do you think this feud has been rushed? Or has it been given the right amount of time?

This feud has the simplest buildup but it just has been executed awful. All it has been is Edge saying "spear" over and over and Jericho saying he is the best at what he does. It's simple but it doesn't come off as very effective. Edge hasn't looked the same since returning for injury and I hate to throw this out there because this is what I think. I think that Edge came back too soon because they didn't want to do Undertaker vs. Jericho at Wrestlemania because they already done it on Smackdown. I don't know who they choose to win the Royal Rumble in advance but I look at Edge and think that he needs more time off to rehab.

I think this could have been saved for WM 27 or even Summerslam because I don't truly see Jericho/Edge as a main event match. Imagine if it were Jericho vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania. I think that would have been a better match than Jericho/Edge but it is what it is. I'm not looking forward to the match because Edge still seems unhealthy to me and I wouldn't be surprised if Jericho retains.

No I don't think it's rushed, a WM26 match is what needs to happen, however as much as I want Edge to win, he shouldn't win, as it will kill the momentum of a feud that is just getting going, having Jericho retain the title by being Jericho and cheating, will keep this feud alive and keep it interesting. Having Jericho lose, kills it as what more is there to do here on out. So no it wasn't rushed at all, it just needs to happen a certain way tonight at WM to keep it alive.

I think creative thought that if they could get him back then they could ride the momentum of the Rumble win into Mania where the pair would put on a solid outing because let's be frank the feud has been pretty poor I mean it's fairly obvious that creative is investing a lot more in Punk/Mysterio than this. To answer your question, no I don't think it was rushed just poorly done.

My problem was the premise of the angle. Everyone kept banging on about this fued being about two friends who fell out with each other.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't they thrown together as part of the tag title match at NOC, purely because Edge whined about not being on the show, and Jericho whined about losing to Mysterio? They had maybe two matches on TV after that, neither of which were tag matches, and then Edge got hurt, and Jericho whined about not having a partner, so Jericho picked Big Show so that Show'd do all the work, and Jerishow went on from there.

Then Edge comes back and just goes on and on about his finisher over and over, and that's the gist of the entire fued up until now.

'I came back from injury early and i've hit you with my finisher twice a week for 3 weeks, so therefore, i'm clearly going to win at WM!'

To quote The Miz, 'Really?' That's the basis of a WM Title fued? It wasn't rushed, it was just stupid really. Instead of trying to make Edge a legitimate face, he's just going to make stupid noises and spear people. Wow! That'll draw. Thank god Jericho is the in the other half of this equation, or i'd have lost interest wayyyyyy before WM.

This could've been an excellent feud, but it's execution was just god-awful, I feel like i'm watching the same promo over and over again for a month it was spear,spear,spear vs. Im the best in the world at what i do. The only remotely entertaing part of this feud was edge comparing vickie guerrero to the big show.

It's just proving how lazy the creative team has gotten, I mean you're given this great opportunity for a great feud and all you do is a battle of the catchphrases?.....REALLY, REALLY

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back