Eddie Edwards Wins the ROH World Title

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
For those that haven't read the news or results for the big Manhattan Mayhem IV show, ROH pulled a fast one on it's fans by having Roderick Strong drop the World title to Eddie Edwards on a non i-PPV show, in what for all intents and purposes looked to everyone like a token title defense against a guy that was just getting his first real shot at the main event in Eddie Edwards, best known for being the former ROH TV champion for nearly a year as well as his ROH Tag Team title reign with Davey Richards in the American Wolves tag team.

Everyone was expecting Davey Richards to get the belt, shit, six months ago? But yet again it seems ROH decided to hold off on giving the title to who the fans clearly wanted to see next in that spot, this time in favor of his lesser known but equally talented partner in Eddie Edwards. I'm assuming this is to set up a big Edwards vs. Richards feud down the line, and I'm all for it with Richards hopefully (finally) getting the strap at the end of the program. This is twice now that Edwards has bested Richards in a sense at singles competition, beating him to become the inaugural TV champion last year and now winning the World title before Davey as well. It would seem ROH has a surefire great main event program on the horizon so I'm all for Edwards getting the strap, even if he may not be quite as "deserving" as a few other men on the roster like Richards, Daniels, or shit even El Generico.

Big shocker and I like that, Delirious has been doing a pretty damn good job as booker so far and I like this move quite a bit. What do you guys think about Edwards shocking title win?

I thought it was an Excellent move to put the Belt on Eddie, I enjoyed Roderick's reign but I thought it was good time to put the belt on Eddie Edwards while he's HOT and the quick title change was a smart decision by Delirious and it got a Big Reaction from NYC crowd. Eddie Edwards is Very Good wrestler and I'm very much looking forward to seeing him as the Champion. Lots of Really good stuff can come from this title reign the potential of a Edwards/Richards feud Sounds AMAZING this also means that at ROH takes Center Stage in Atlanta it will be Edwards vs Daniels these two already had some Excellent matches for the TV title and this match should be no different. Congratulations to Eddie Edwards on becoming the First ROH Triple Crown Champion.

Now that most of my shock has worn off, I like it. Edwards will put on great matches against anyone who challenges and, like you said, this has to lead to a program between the Wolves eventually that will be amazing.

My biggest question at this point is where do Roderick and the House of Truth go from here? There has been teasing of a new member of the HoT for weeks in both video and news wires, and I feel like Roddy is finally falling into a place his mic work is at least semi-comparable to his in-ring work. He is way too talented to be buried, but could easily be lost in the shuffle.

The other part of this that I was glad to see that you touched on, X, was that they didn't do the change at an iPPV. Before I went to the 9th Anniversary show, I really felt like something big could happen because it was an iPPV, a feeling I didn't really have at any other ROH show I had been to. This is great work by ROH to show that anything can happen at their shows, whether they air live or not until the DVD comes out a couple months later. As a regular ticket buyer, this further solidifies my decision to buy tickets every time ROH rolls through town.

With all that said, all that really matters is that Eddie Edwards is now the champ. He's fairly young (I think) and very talented; just the kind of guy that can use an ROH World Title run to take him to that next level in his career. Congrats to Eddie Edwards.

I agree with you i like it a lot, edwads never gets talked about but he is a great wrestler. I wouldnt say hes equally as talented as richards...but not many are, hes definitely very close and very very good though. He was a great tv champion and puts on great matches/feuds, although i like roderick strong a lot he was running out of competition very quickly and this move makes a lot of sense and was out of nowhere, i agree that an american wolves feud would be amazing with the title involved, maybe even champ vs champ now. I think richards will win the title from edwards in a little while but edwards will have an entertaining reign in the process, this is the path that makes the msot sense at least and i like it a lot.

I'll say this...I doubted the shit out of Eddie Edwards way before the show started. How often do you see a wrestler win a World Championship on their first try? Hardly ever. It was a hell of a "swerve" and it caught me by surprise big time. Eddie is a fantastic wrestler and he's earned it in my opinion. Me being there live, it was a historic ROH moment.

Now that he's the champ, I'm expecting a rematch with him and Roderick Strong, as well as a match with Christopher Daniels and Davey for the belt. Looking forward to see how Eddie's reign goes :).

ROH may not have allot of things that TNA and WWE have but they make up for it in good quality wrestling. I thought Rodderick would hold on to the belt until at least June and when did Eddie win the TV championship.

I'm shocked with Edwards getting the belt before Richards, Hero, Claudio or Generico... maybe these guys are like Daniels and may never be RoH Champion...

It's an interesting choice by RoH especially since Edwards isn't as well known as the guys I've mentioned. It's funny that just when Strong was finally no longer boring they take the belt off him... Is this the shake up RoH needs?? Time will tell.

I was completely shocked to read about Eddie Edwards winning the ROH World Title.

I'm ok with the title change. I'm really happy that Homocide didn't get his hands on it, and with Daniels heading back to TNA, I'm glad they never gave the World Title on him.

xfearbefore really nailed it here, ROH is definitely setting up for the clash of the American Wolves. Maybe a title vs title match. Like a lot of people, I've wanted to see Richards get the strap for a long time. If this feud happens, it will be great.

Side note: Now is the time to bring back Kevin Steen. Put him in a program as a challenger to either Richards or Edwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back