• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ECW - A Step in the Right Direction

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
As some of you may or may not know from reading my previous posts on different threads, I am an avid watcher of the ECW brand. Some of you believe the product is crap and a waste of television time some of you compare it to TNA, some of you still compare it to the ECW of old, and some of you just don't watch it and don't care. Either way, I completely understand where all of you are coming from. But, I'm here to say that it's time to start embracing this television program because I think it's finally starting to find its stride and move in the right direction.

Since the WWE began broadcasting the brand in June of 2006, it obviously paled in comparison to the ECW that we all grew to love. Most of the violence was taken out, the talent was hacked, and the format was a weak carbon-copy (at best) of the former ECW. None of us were ready to accept the new format, and we all merged into one voice that BEGGED the WWE to change everything back to the old format. But, here we are almost 3 years later, and not only has the WWE not listened to our voices, but they went further into the opposite direction from where we all wanted them to go with the programming and STILL none of us have accepted what ECW has become.

Each week that I watch the program, I can see more and more improvements with the program. And I think there are ways for all of you to do the same thing. So, in normal D-Man fashion, here's another list of reasons why you should start watching ECW:

1. If you learn to accept the fact that the old ECW is never going to come back, you may finally learn to embrace the new program.
People, wake up. ECW is NEVER going to be what it used to be. It's one of those promotions that we should all remember forever for it's innovation, excitement, originality, and hardcore nature. But we're no longer in 1998. Blood and gore doesn't sell like it used to. The WWE has gone PG (which is something else that everyone needs to just accept) and they're taking most of the blood and gore out of their programming. But, if you're a fan of Raw or Smackdown, there is no reason why you shouldn't be watching this program now. It's written by the same writers and has some of the same talent as well as talent that is none other than the future of the WWE. Whether all of you like it or not, ECW has become the television show that brings newcomers into the WWE and gives them credibility before moving into the spotlight of Raw or Smackdown. (And if you really think about it, in that perspective, not much has changed since the ECW of old.)

2. NEW talent
Let's face it... as much as we used to love the Sandman smashing beers on his forehead until he bled, Tommy Dreamer hitting opponents with prosthetic limbs, and Sabu just maiming his body every night, they completely FLOPPED in the WWE's version of ECW. They just don't fit. Unfortunately, as great as he was, Tommy Dreamer has become a joke to most of the audience and the rest of the ECW originals already got their "future endeavors" speech. Why, you ask? They simply didn't work. It really goes to show how great a wrestler can be once you break them down to the purity of their wrestling skills without using gimmicks as parachute. Once these guys had to actually "wrestle" and build a new gimmick, let's face it... they sucked.

Now let's compare them with the new blood of ECW. Jack Swagger... Tyson Kidd... Evan Bourne... Ricky Ortiz (yeah, yeah... I know)... oh yeah... and MATT STRIKER. Who knew this guy would be such and INCREDIBLE commentator?? But let's also remember guys that came from ECW and made names for themselves like CM Punk, John Morrison, and Kofi Kingston. Say what you will, but all of them are very talented, and after seeing Jack Swagger vs. John Cena last Monday on Raw, I can't wait for the rest of the rookies to square off against some of the veterans.

3. The storylines really aren't as bad as you think.
Last night, I saw a contract signing between Christian and Jack Swagger. Yeah, we've seen that spot a billion times before, but it still made me want to see those two face off Sunday at Backlash. Hell, I'm more excited about that match than most of the other matches on the card. All of this is from yet another recycled storyline that still works. ECW has the same writers as Raw and Smackdown. There's no reason why anyone should say "I don't watch ECW because there's no buildup for matches and their storylines suck." First of all, the storylines are the same. And the only reason why you don't feel the same satisfaction in the buildup for matches is because of time constraints. ECW is a one-hour show, but I think the WWE does a great job of getting as much out of that hour as they possibly can.

4. Yeah, I'll say it... THE MATCHES ARE GOOD.
No, not as good as some of the matches that TNA puts on and not as good as main events on Raw or Smackdown, but they're much better than all of you think. Remember, guys like John Morrison and CM Punk came from ECW. Even though they've drastically improved, they still put on some killer matches when they were in ECW. And you're going to see the same quality of matches out of guys like Evan Bourne, Tyson Kidd and Jack Swagger.

In closing, I just want to repeat that ECW is really starting to move in the right direction and become something very interesting to watch. Once you all learn to let go of the past, embrace the present, and look forward to the future, you will all see what I see... ECW is very entertaining and is the future of the business that we all love.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts?

I agree with you with the fact that the matches are good and occasionally epic as hell (is it just me is swaggers finisher one of the best ever lol) and i even believe that with swagger as the title holder it is taking a step in the right direction.

However ive got to disagree with you that the stroylines are good and i know thers not tht much time for promos and its more like a development farm, but wen was the last time you saw someone cutting a decent promo (who wasnt the champ or mark henry).

It is just basically a development farm now to asses some new talent which i believe will work well and has been working well for a while now, i do think they should get rid of the name ecw tho (i dnt know y but it just offends me to have the ecw name and it not be even a little bit like th old ecw).

Actually, Tyson Kidd and Nattie Neidhart cut a backstage promo with Tiffany on Tuesday. I thought it was decent, considering the fact that it was their first.

Okay, class is now in session. Your instructor is Professor IC25. Please take your seats. Actually, just you, D-Man. Please take YOUR seat. And that cone shaped hat in front of you? If goes on your head. No, no, your HEAD, D-Man.

Let's go over this point by point, shall we?

1. If you learn to accept the fact that the old ECW is never going to come back, you may finally learn to embrace the new program.People, wake up. ECW is NEVER going to be what it used to be. It's one of those promotions that we should all remember forever for it's innovation, excitement, originality, and hardcore nature.

People have accepted that. They just don't like it.

Here is some Marketing 101. (IC25 pulls out the Marketing degree and hangs it upon the wall). If Vince McMahon and WWE wanted fans to embrace a "new program," then why name it ECW? Why bother with that? One reason - to capitalize on the last of the merch sales off of Paul Heyman's sweat and Tommy Dreamer's blood. Keeping the ECW name, and even a similar logo (and until recently a similar championship belt) makes the fans still identify with, and compare to, the 1990's incarnation of the brand. It's simple brand marketing.

When Coca-Cola wanted to develop a sugar free alternative to their popular cola drink, they created an entirely new brand called "Diet Coke." Different logo using block lettering for the word "Coke." This set it apart from the branding of the Coca-Cola beverage, and told consumers "this is a different product." This, in text books, is known as Brand Differentiation.

Vince's ECW isn't Brand Differentiated. It's a failure of marketing.

It's written by the same writers and has some of the same talent as well as talent that is none other than the future of the WWE.

If it's written by some of the same people as Raw and Smackdown, and it has some of the same talent as Raw and Smackdown, then why wate a Tuesday night when I can just - WATCH RAW AND SMACKDOWN? The reason people embraced the old ECW was because it was like nothing they'd ever seen before. TNA and ROH also have that specific focus and innovation - it's called niche marketing.

Whether all of you like it or not, ECW has become the television show that brings newcomers into the WWE and gives them credibility before moving into the spotlight of Raw or Smackdown. (And if you really think about it, in that perspective, not much has changed since the ECW of old.)

I don't watch ECW. Why bother if, as you've pointed out, the "stars" of ECW who make it are just going to end up on Raw and Smackdown eventually anyway? Why do I want to watch Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston, and Jack Swagger when I know that in 6 months, they will be on the main program anyway?

2. NEW talent
Let's face it... as much as we used to love the Sandman smashing beers on his forehead until he bled, Tommy Dreamer hitting opponents with prosthetic limbs, and Sabu just maiming his body every night, they completely FLOPPED in the WWE's version of ECW. They just don't fit. Unfortunately, as great as he was, Tommy Dreamer has become a joke to most of the audience and the rest of the ECW originals already got their "future endeavors" speech. Why, you ask? They simply didn't work. It really goes to show how great a wrestler can be once you break them down to the purity of their wrestling skills without using gimmicks as parachute. Once these guys had to actually "wrestle" and build a new gimmick, let's face it... they sucked.

That's all well and good, but the old ECW had some success for their niche. Why was WWE unable to be flexible with this brand? And what about Paul Heyman? Heyman wasn't a wrestler, he was an on-air personality and a writer, and in both capacities he was fantastic. What happened there? Why not keep him on? Vince's ego - that's why.

Now let's compare them with the new blood of ECW. Jack Swagger... Tyson Kidd... Evan Bourne... Ricky Ortiz (yeah, yeah... I know)... oh yeah... and MATT STRIKER. Who knew this guy would be such and INCREDIBLE commentator?? But let's also remember guys that came from ECW and made names for themselves like CM Punk, John Morrison, and Kofi Kingston. Say what you will, but all of them are very talented, and after seeing Jack Swagger vs. John Cena last Monday on Raw, I can't wait for the rest of the rookies to square off against some of the veterans.

Are you saying that these men wouldn't have gotten a rub without ECW? Heck, I'll do you one better - John Cena and Batista - the two biggest stars right now, were not ECW guys. They did fine being on OVW for a while and then coming up to Raw and Smackdown. I'd still have been exposed to Kofi, Morrison (I actually knew Morrison from Tough Enough 3, and then as Bischoff's assistant), et als without this bastardized ECW.

Let's see where these points take us, and I'll see if I feel to need to continue...class dismissed - for now.

My turn. Take a seat, pilgrim.

People have accepted that. They just don't like it.

You don't like it. You don't speak for the entire wrestling audience. And if they didn't like it, they never would have embraced Kofi, Bourne, Morrison, or Punk... all ECW-made. (And please don't start with how Punk was made from Ring of Honor... we're sticking to track records in the WWE here ONLY.)

Here is some Marketing 101. (IC25 pulls out the Marketing degree and hangs it upon the wall).

Ooooohh... it's shiny.

If Vince McMahon and WWE wanted fans to embrace a "new program," then why name it ECW? Why bother with that? One reason - to capitalize on the last of the merch sales off of Paul Heyman's sweat and Tommy Dreamer's blood. Keeping the ECW name, and even a similar logo (and until recently a similar championship belt) makes the fans still identify with, and compare to, the 1990's incarnation of the brand. It's simple brand marketing.

When Coca-Cola wanted to develop a sugar free alternative to their popular cola drink, they created an entirely new brand called "Diet Coke." Different logo using block lettering for the word "Coke." This set it apart from the branding of the Coca-Cola beverage, and told consumers "this is a different product." This, in text books, is known as Brand Differentiation.

Vince's ECW isn't Brand Differentiated. It's a failure of marketing.

But Coca Cola created a brand new product that branched off from something they already created... Vince didn't create ECW. I agree with the fact that he's piggy-backing off their past success, but at the same time, he owned the product and was merging it to be more like his ALREADY SUCCESSFUL product in the WWE. Granted, he isn't there yet, but he's going in the right direction.
If it's written by some of the same people as Raw and Smackdown, and it has some of the same talent as Raw and Smackdown, then why wate a Tuesday night when I can just - WATCH RAW AND SMACKDOWN?

I never said you HAD to watch ECW. I said you SHOULD.

The reason people embraced the old ECW was because it was like nothing they'd ever seen before. TNA and ROH also have that specific focus and innovation - it's called niche marketing.

Point taken. But as we all know, Vince lives by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

I don't watch ECW. Why bother if, as you've pointed out, the "stars" of ECW who make it are just going to end up on Raw and Smackdown eventually anyway? Why do I want to watch Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston, and Jack Swagger when I know that in 6 months, they will be on the main program anyway?

That's like a football fan watching college ball just to see players as they improve and eventually wind up in the NFL draft. Ever since I saw one of Kurt Angle's dark matches and then saw that we wound up being one of the greatest wrestlers in history, I have been interested in seeing up and coming talent. The choice is yours.

That's all well and good, but the old ECW had some success for their niche. Why was WWE unable to be flexible with this brand? And what about Paul Heyman? Heyman wasn't a wrestler, he was an on-air personality and a writer, and in both capacities he was fantastic. What happened there? Why not keep him on? Vince's ego - that's why.

But Vince is the boss and has obviously been succesful in the past. Yes, Heyman is great and I have always been a fan of his. But his product FAILED. Period.

Are you saying that these men wouldn't have gotten a rub without ECW?

Not at all. But if they have ECW, why not use it to give them the rubs they need?

Heck, I'll do you one better - John Cena and Batista - the two biggest stars right now, were not ECW guys. They did fine being on OVW for a while and then coming up to Raw and Smackdown.

Horrible comparison. They started coming up prior to ECW being branded.

I'd still have been exposed to Kofi, Morrison (I actually knew Morrison from Tough Enough 3, and then as Bischoff's assistant), et als without this bastardized ECW.

I'm not saying you wouldn't have been exposed to them on other shows. But, the WWE had a new way of introducing new talent. Either way, you have to give the show props for what it did for them (if anything at all). If ECW did nothing for them, they might not have turned out so hot. They needed a place to be a top player. And I doubt they would've thrown them on Raw or SD and have them job to the likes of HHH, HBK, Cena, etc.

yeah ECW is a lot better ever since Christian returned that is and I think they really shouldn't treat dreamer this way

Dreamer is just the wrestler equivelant of JR in Vince's estimation. He may be put over as an ECW Legend as JR is put over as a WWE Hall of Famer... but he thinks his flattery can be an excuse to shit on his employees.

That aside, I am starting to enjoy ECW's new direction... because in a recent interview Vince admitted that ECW is being used for new talent, and established wrestlers to give them a rub. I may not be a fan of Henry, but its hard to argue that Finlay and Christian are bad in the ring even if they never got to the top of the card at WWE they're still great technical wrestlers and in ring veterans. Also the new talent that has come from ECW is rather impressive.

Yes, in my opinion I think that the title should be defended only under extreme rules, but that's the ECW mark in me. Lets hope some of the new ECW strut their stuff at the Extreme Rules PPV. Given that they only usually have 1 match on the WWE ppv card, I think an extreme scramble match would do the job, it'd give them gimmick match and pay per view title match experience, which is important for the future of the company.

The Fact is ECW is the same as the ECW of old let me tell you how

The Brand: Its pretty much the same thing but the violence has been tonned down, The ECW of old wasnt about Violence, it was about Storylines, You had workers liike Eddie Gurerro, Chris Jericho, Dean Milenko and Chris Benoit wrestling their asses off and putting butts on seats yes they had hardcore matches but they didnt over do it, most supposed die hard ECW fans keep saying that ECW is all about hardcore, and its the hardcore that makes the franchise but the fact is in order for the brand to gain a mainstream presence it has to drop the one thing that the so called die hard fans love Hardcore has to go!!.

Developing Talent the fact is ECW was always known for developing talent, think of it, every major player in the Old ECW went to either the WWE or WCW, Paul Heyman was so good at thrusting talent into the main event picture that didnt belong their that when they went to the WWE or WCW the other companies didnt know what to do with them, at least the new ECW actually develops talent that moves to its other two big brands so this ECW is actually an improvement on the old in regards to giving more poeple the upper midcard main event spots.

Earning Money This is the one thing you forgot to talk about in regards to your brand strategy Irish, what do all companies want to do with their sucessful brands or products?, thats right earn money, ECW itself is earning money WWE still have a tv deal in place, they still obtain large sums for advertisers who actually want to advertise on their product, its also one of the highest rated shows on sci fi, which is one of the sole reasons why the channel has rebranded itself in hopes to attract more shows like it and to relinquish the science fiction stigma which has held the network back for so long.

Tommy Dreamer You can say the guy has been made to look like a joke, I say that the WWE has done wonders with him, think about it, he has even stated himself that every main event on Sci fi he has taken part of has been the highest rated main event in the new ECW's history, Dreamer is an enigma of sorts as Vince himself has stated that he can job but still get a great fan reaction, he deserves his push and i hope will at least get one more title run before retiring from the ring for good, he is quiet literally the heart and soul of ECW, and think about how much he jobbed in the original ECW, he lost his entire feud with raven up until the last match, the guy even won the ECW championship for a cup of coffee, he was still pissed about it till this day.

ECW has a wider distribution point ECW used to be secluded to small arenas now its catered to a wider audience, its in millons of homes, and has a larger reach, did the old ECW have that?, they had to literally beg cable companies to distribute their ppvs, rob feinstein was distributing their material via his RF video imprint, they where making some money, but Heyman always wanted a wider audience, he wanted to be as big as the WWE, for all the naysayers out there vince has made his dream come true, no matter how much you say hes bastardized the legacy.

The championshipThe ECW championship has been held by more credible champions then when it was in the Old ECW, dont believe me then look

Justin Credible: Jobber, never got over after leaving ECW

Shane Douglas: Had no talent, couldnt win the big one in the crumbling former fed that was WCW, they pushed David Arquette over this guy

Rhino: Jobber to the stars and was an NWA champion for a day

Jerry Lynn: Credible worker but never even had a proper world title run outside of ECW, and if you say what about ring of honor Im not talking about indie feds at this time, but if you want to expand on indie feds hell even Doink the clown has been champion in an indie fed.

Steve Corino: Credible worker once again but never stepped foot in a wwe or wcw ring apart from time to time when he worked the od dark match, has been NWA champion before the belt was reintroduced in TNA.

Mike Awesome: Jobber status, never got over in WCW or WWE

Taz: Broke his neck and became a broadcaster, defended the new ECW now talks about it like he hated every minute of it, again never went past Jobber status, his tag run was the most sucess he had in the wwe.

Now look at who holds it now

CM Punk: Former World champion and has had the quickest one year triple crown winner in history, always been relied upon to work his ass off

Christian: Former NWA champion and one day will main event either raw or smackdown

RVD: the guy who never got the big run in the old ECW, he got screwed over by Heyman before leaving the old ECW, in his WWE run he held both the ECW CHAMPIONSHIP and the WWE title at the same time.

Lshley: was moving up to the main event on raw and is considered to be a former world champion in tna

Morrison: On his way to a main event push in smackdown: credible main eventer

Big Show: Has held world titles in both WCW and WWE carried ECW on his back when RVD dropped the ball.

Kane: Former WWE champion, tag team champion, triple crown winner and is always thrusted into the main event

yes you do have some guys who never worked out as ECW champion and will probably never leave the midcard or lower card spots but the WWE has done wonders with this incarnation of ECW and if you like it or not you cant use the excuse of "Its not hardcore" as motivation to bash the new ECW, it does everything that the old ECW has done but it makes money, its widely recognised now and it has established more semi main event talent then its predecessor with more corss market appeal.

well thats my point made

If the rumors are true, and Kurt Angle is coming back to the WWE then he should go to ECW, and that would be a step in the right direction. It would start to look like the old TNA with Christian and all lol. Seriously though I think Angle would be perfect for ECW, and he was supposed to carry that show before he left. It would add to the credibility of the show, and I think he and Christian, or Swagger would make for great main event matches.

I do enjoy watching ECW. Before CM Punk was on ECW the only major Fed he was in (RoH is an indy fed still) was TNA and there he was just a glorified Jobber and Ravens bitch. Since ECW Punk has been ECW Champion, WHC, World Tag TEam Champion and the IC champion, ECW was the place were he learnt the WWE style of Wresteling to get over. Evan Bourne is the best crusierweight in the Buisness and will at least be the ECW champion somewhere down the line. Morrison has finally found his gimmick in ECW as well as improving his in ring abilty 2 fold. ECW has entertaining storylines, great matches and the best up-n-commers in the buisness today, which leads for an entertaining show each week.
In my opion the NEW ECW is equal or Better than the old one.

ECW is definitely improving, and in many ways it is carrying on the tradition of the old ECW of putting over technically acute matches, some great cruiserweight matches, and giving up and comers the rub from established guys. I do miss the frequency of extreme rules matches, and would prefer for them to be televised more, because I know they're more frequent in house shows... or at least have them as a way to end a feud, gain a title shot, or defend the title.

I love watching ECW every week........it allows me to watch the wrestlers early career. Back in the days of the territories, people had to work their way up for YEARS. Same basic concept with ECW. It gives young talent a platform to show, literally, the WORLD what they have to offer. You see the stars being born right in front of your eyes. And if that isnt enough to convince you, how about the (hopefull) return of the HART FOUNDATION!!!!!!

BTW, I loooooooooove Tyson Kid and think that he's definately going to make it in this business. (now how would I know that if I didn't watch ECW?)

I only watch ECW for guys like Tyson Kidd, Bourne, Swagger. The rest of them I really couldn't care about (except perhaps Christian who should be on a different show if they could get another guy to be the babyface of ecw) especially with guys like Dreamer and Mark Henry in the main event scene. It's basically heat/jakked in my eyes but with a belt to fued over. I do like seeing some of the matches though, and I think they should purely spend the show using the best young talent from all the rosters to put on the best matches. Morrison/Bourne is the best TV match of the year so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back