• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Earthquake, Tsunami hit Japan

Theo Mays

Part Time Poster
Just saw this on the news:

A massive 8.9 magnitude earthquake has struck off Japan's northeastern coast, triggering a four meter tsunami that washed away cars along parts of the coastline.

Video from national broadcaster NHK showed dozens of cars, large ferries and some buildings being swept out to sea in the port city of Kamaishi in the province of Iwate.

The Japanese Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warming for the entire Pacific coast of Japan following the quake that struck about 125 kilometers off the eastern coast, at a depth of 10 kilometers. Residents in the coastal areas have been urged to immediately evacuate to higher ground.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in the U.S. state of Hawaii said a tsunami warning was also in effect for Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. It said a tsunami watch was issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and Hawaii.

Friday's massive quake was felt in Tokyo, where it shook buildings and caused several fires. The Tokyo metro system says all train and subway traffic in the city has been stopped.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan has convened an emergency meeting of the Cabinet to assess the situation.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Major-Earthquake-Tsunami-Hit-Japan-117785138.html

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Japanese. Hopefully everything gets better and everyone is alright.

Wow, sad news. Thoughts go out to everyone out there. I hope almost everyone got away from that. Just add to more shit going on in this world.

I was just about to make this. Watching the news and you can just see the water taking up everything in it's path, it's horrible but I can't move my eyes from the screen. It's mental that we can be watching that stuff live safe in our houses as people are dying.

Train Wreck TV is terrible because of the fact that you can't look away, same thing in New Zealand after the Christchurch Earthquake. But As an aside there is a Tsunami Warning all around the Pacific Rim.

{any 2012 statement gets red repped for being stupid}

Just horrible to wake up to. My thoughts and prayers are with everybody in Japan.

It really fucking sucks that stuff like this happens. And what makes it even worse is that people don't even have time to prepare themselves for it. It just happens.

Let's just now hope that whatever Hawaii, the West Coast, and whoever else is going to get hit with this tsunami receives absolute minimum damage.

^Include the pacific islands there including New Zealand which isnt that far of australia.Hope it doesnt hit here :(

Thoughts and prayers go out to the japanese and everyone affected.

This is an absolute horrible thing to wake up to. Now they're being told that there was a smalled earthquake near Hawaii. With both earthquakes, Hawaiians is being sent to higher ground.

My thoughts are with them.

EIGHT POINT FUCKING NINE! Sorry knowing a little about the Richter scale I have an idea of how big this is. It's a logarithmic scale so to give you some idea this earthquake is over 25 times bigger in magnitude than the New Zealand Earthquake. It's almost 20 times as big as the one that took place in Haiti. In fact it's similar in size to the boxing day earthquake which was around a 9.1. Of course epicentre depth is a factor but in any case. In fact the biggest recorded Earthquake is 9.5 so it's really not far away. My first reaction when I read the number was holy shit. Like everyone else I hope that the Japanese people come through it the best they can, if any country can recover, it's them.

This is an absolute horrible thing to wake up to. Now they're being told that there was a smalled earthquake near Hawaii. With both earthquakes, Hawaiians is being sent to higher ground.

My thoughts are with them.

A friend of mine in the military was stationed in Hawaii early last month. She woke me up on MSN to this horrible tragedy and said that Hawaii got struck by a 4.5 earthquake and the sirens are going off.

I live quite a bit away from the Oregon coast and shouldn't be affected. My thoughts go out to the victims, their families, and the people that are affected and might be affected by this horrible disaster. Terrible news to wake up to.

Man, this sucks. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone over there. I feel so lucky that the UK doesnt get affected by things like that. It is absoltutely awful

With earthquakes, tsunamis, political upheavels, riots etc, this world is going down the shitpan

My thoughts and prayers go out to those in Japan and anywhere that is going to suffer the effects of this disaster. There is enough blood shed by human hand, the last thing that is needed is to see so much more destruction.

It's times like these that make me hope there is a god that will help them through this.

Tokyo's just been hit with magnitude 6.6 aftershock.

The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

Thats a big roumor thats going around, a few other bigger names in japan have also been "reported" dead. While its not confermed I don't believe it atm.

I heard the creator of Pokemon died. Any truth to this?

From Nintendo of America on Twitter:

Thanks for your concern! During the earthquake no one at Nintendo in Japan was injured and there was no apparent structural damage.

Though Satoshi Tajir was not a Nintendo employee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back