• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dynamite Kid Could Have Been Something More

Do you think the Dynamite Kid could have been much more then he was ? Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cocky King of The World1

Simply Ravishing
The Dynamite Kid made a name for himself in Stu Harts Stampede Wrestling by fueding with Bret Hart, . After Vince Mchmahon purchased Stampede Wrestling, and Dynamite Kid was one of the young stars he acquired from the promotion. He was paired up with Davey Boy Smith to create the team of the British Bulldogs, they were one of the top tag teams of the 80s and who cant forget their fued with Hart Foundation.

Dynamite Kid was one of the most talented wrestlers i had ever seen, as even Bret Hart has said he was pound for pound the best wrestler he had ever seen. His tag matches with the Bulldog were top-tier tag matches , as they were usually the best matches on the card (along with the hart foundation). He was great in the ring to say the least.

He was the ultimate bully backstage though , a shooter in the ring and out of the ring. I think he had something to prove because he wasn't as big as other superstars at the time physically. He'd suffer a legitimate back injury which put him out for a long period of time. The Bulldogs would lose the belts to the Hart Foundation and they weren't really considered a top tier tag-team anymore.

With altercations with a lot of guys backstage, he'd leave the WWF with the Bulldog (the Bulldog would return though) he'd stay in a japan for the rest of his career. Hes now confined to a wheelchair, which is just a tragic turn of events.

In my opinion he could have had a great IC belt title reign, putting on great matches for the belt. While i never thought he was world title material like his counterpart the Bulldog, he could have been much more then he was with the right attitude.

What do you guys think?

I totally think he could have been something more. But the problem is that he is, I believe, in a wheel chair now and totally out of public life because of all those diving headbutts.

So I think if he didn't do those diving headbutts, he'd have been a huge star. Possibly feuding with Davey Boy at one point too.

I mean, stuff like Dynamite vs Bret , vs Hennig, Vs HBK, etc. Would have been awesome.

he deserved what happend to him in terms of his back injury. simply put, what comes around goes around. according to bret harts book, he was the ultimate asshole, not just to other wrestlers but to his wife and girlfriend as well. life is funny that way, you treat people like crap, than you get crap in life and dynamites career was good for a little bit but in the long run, it was nothing but crap

Dynamite was one of my fav wrestlers growing up. His intensity and ability were out of this world. His problem was being the wrong size at the wrong time. If he'd been in the US and his prime in the days after Hogan left for WCW think of the matches Dynamite/Hart Dynamite/HBK Dynamite/Austin could have put on! But alas that didn't happen and instead he was an inspiration to other great wrestlers. Beniot was a 99.9% carbon copy of him! Pretty much any canadian wrestler after Dynamite wanted to be like him, so his purpose wasn't to be the top guy but to inspire future top guys.

he deserved what happend to him in terms of his back injury. simply put, what comes around goes around. according to bret harts book, he was the ultimate asshole, not just to other wrestlers but to his wife and girlfriend as well. life is funny that way, you treat people like crap, than you get crap in life and dynamites career was good for a little bit but in the long run, it was nothing but crap

You are one sick twisted human being who doesn't deserve to even be a fan of wrestling. You don't think the likes of Bret, HBK, Hogan and so on didnt step over other wrestlers to get their way. It was like that and to a certain extent that sort of backstage politics continues now. He hardily deserved to be place in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

How was Dynamite Kid's career crap? Do you even have a clue who he is or are you simply a) a muppet b) a troll.

The feuds that could have been, imagine him going up against Hennig would have been legendary.

I started watching wrestling as a very young kid when The British Bulldogs were WWF tag team champions. At that time my young and inexperienced mind always perceived Dynamite Kid to be the weak link of the team. The reasons were so stupid and insignificant. Howard Finkel always announced Davey Boy Smith first planting a seed in my mind that he was the more important of the two. Davey Boy always walked Matilda to the ring. As a kid for some reason I looked at that as some type of authority. I didn’t realize Dynamite wanted nothing to do with the mascot gimmick and made Davey take care of the dog. Their finishing move was Davey pressing Dynamite and launching him across the ring onto an opponent. For some reason I saw Davey as a more dominant figure as he threw Dynamite across the ring. I also remember Davey literally carrying Dynamite to the ring when they dropped the tag titles to The Hart Foundation and Dynamite not being involved in the match at all. I didn’t realize he was working with an injury that should have kept him away from the ring for several months. I know it all seems stupid but I was seven years old. Obviously since then I have come to realize that the Bulldogs were pretty much equal and if anyone was the leader it was Dynamite.

As for the question, yes I do think Dynamite could have been more. I know the fans loved him, but I think Dynamite would have made a great heel. I would have liked to see him claim he was carrying the Bulldogs team and say he was tired of being overshadowed by a dog. He could have turned on Davey and they could have had an awesome feud. Given his real life personality (a lot of people really didn’t like him) I think he could have gotten the fans to hate him without a problem. I picture him as a Kurt Angle type heel circa 2005. He would be someone who the fans hated but they had to respect him and take him seriously because he was more than capable of taking care of business in the ring. For as much as I would have loved singles feuds with Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels I don’t think that would have been an option. Dynamite was nearing the end of his career by the time they started their singles runs. Feuds with Davey Boy Smith, Ricky Steamboat, Tito Santana, and Randy Savage would have been pretty sweet though.

Although he could have been more I don't think Dynamite was misused. The Bulldogs were one of the greatest teams the WWF ever had. If not for the injuries and backstage problems I'm sure Dynamite would have gone on to even better things.

You are one sick twisted human being who doesn't deserve to even be a fan of wrestling. You don't think the likes of Bret, HBK, Hogan and so on didnt step over other wrestlers to get their way. It was like that and to a certain extent that sort of backstage politics continues now. He hardily deserved to be place in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

How was Dynamite Kid's career crap? Do you even have a clue who he is or are you simply a) a muppet b) a troll.

The feuds that could have been, imagine him going up against Hennig would have been legendary.

yeah they have stepped on other wrestlers to get where they are. but i believe the OP was speaking of the incidents regarding his first wife. putting her in holds that didn't leave a mark and holding a gun to her head.

plus he was a huge drug abuser. karma is a bitch.

Im not turning this into a bash him personally, same with Benoit what they did in there personal life should be criticized and they don't deserve any recognition.

Face it, people in the public eye get addicted to drugs and do stupid things, sometime horrible things. And wrestlers experience pain all the time and have to be pumped to suvive the grind. The companies should get just as much heat as the performers.

Saying that and completely ignoring his personal life

Personally think if Dynamite Kid hadn't gone on a downward spiral he woulda been the one that went onto greater fame then Davey Boy Smith, even DB Smith admits Dynamite was the better performer and carried the team.

The Bulldogs and Bret Hart were way ahead of the era in terms of in ring ability. and later on The Rockers fitted that same bill.

Dynamite was Chris Benoit and Bret Hart rolled into one.
Benoit said numerous times that he fashioned himself on Dynamite Kid

Doubt he woulda gone onto being a world champ as he was too small for the era, but he certainly could've attained singles gold. If the Bulldogs and Bret Hart and The Rockers were in todays era and in there prime the landscape would be alot different i think.

Unfortunately for those involved his life was marred in drugs and violence and karma did kick his ass and then subsequently Benoit followed the same path.

I like the Dynamite kid's carrier as it was as he was massive in Japan in his prime and is considered a Hulk Hogan in their eyes. But I think that Dynamite carrier could have been better if he would have been in the WWF in his prime as well as Japan instead off what he was doing in his prime at Stamped an small promotion that could have not given him mainstream. I think if he went into the WWF in his carrier but stayed in Japan as well then I think he could have had programs in the WWF with guys like Hogan, Savage, Steamboat, Shawn Michaels and many others but I think he would have still have had to do the tag team wrestling as that is what defined his carrier in a whole.

okay i reckon dynamite kid could havebeen something. He was very talented and put on some great matches with bulldog against the hart foundation and other teams. I reckon it would have been great if he won the intercontiental championship and had fueds with some of the greats like hbk, bret hart, bulldog, mr perfect and more. Unfourtuanly one injury costed his carrier. And the people saying he deserved for backstage well listen to the things hbk has done and triple h and more. Also do you know exactly what happened with his personal life, were you there, do you know the true story just like the Benoit incident then shut the fuck up dick heads because you werent you where hearing what the manipulating media are saying and i am not saying it not true what he did or it was right I am just saying unless you wre a friend o realted to the family then you dont know the full true story. Like i say with the benoit incident we should remember what he did in the ring and make sure everyone remembers what he did outside of the ring was wrong and try to try and make sure no other wrestler goesdown that dark road

Dynamite was a great performer in the ring in Stampede Wrestling, WWF and Japan.
While he was good in the ring, he wasn't spectacular on the mike. Other performers have stated that he was a bully backstage. If that's true that would work against him as well. Add to that he was on drugs, and had a history of taking some serious bumps that affect him to this day, that would affect his the length of his career. He left (if I believe the story) after Survivor Series 1988, following an incident between he and Jacques Rogeau.

He could have been more, I just don't think at that time. I mean WWF was crowded with several performers at the midcard level, he would have never been allowed to set foot in the ring against Hulk Hogan. He was taking bad bumps and using drugs, that shortened his career. So unless he eliminates these factors, he'd be right where he is now. Say he stops using drugs, takes better risks in the ring, while Bret was champ, if he were still there, he might have been a IC or European champ. A World Heavweight championship would be highly unlikely or way down the road, that he'd more than likely be out of the business before that would happen.

Dynamite could've been great someplace else, because at the time he didn't have the size that McMahon loved in his guys. He'd have been relegated to mid-card level, spot feuds, etc. probably, which is a shame. While incredibly talented & with a great physique and courage to do risky moves, from reading his autobiography he seems to be a humongous egotistical jerk. To listen to him he invented every move, every gimmick and heck, he probably invented the ring bell, turnbuckle & JR's hat. I don't really feel sorry for him, though his bitterness is probably understandable since the higher ups seemingly didn't care that he needed medical attention for his back issues.

No question that Dynamite would have been an even bigger legend had his back not given out on him when it did ! Not sure it would have happened in the U.S. though because in the 80's it was all about size and Dyno was on the smaller side.

Now he still could have put on classics in Canada and Japan with the likes of Liger and Benoit, not to mention guys like Owen, Pillman, Kobiashi, and Hase just to name a few !

But even though his career was cut short he's still a legend in Calgary for his feud with Bad News Brown, in Japan with Tiger Mask, and he was ahead of his time and an insiration for countless other future stars !

I think Dynamite could have, and would have been a major star in wrestling, had to not suffered that career-ending back injury and continued working, relying on drugs and painkillers and eventually ending up in a wheelchair.

He was so creative, so exciting and so innovative. Chris Benoit modelled himself after Dynamite, even using the Diving Headbutt as a tribute to him. He could easily have achieved as much as Davey Boy Smith did in the WWE, and the only downside he had as a performer was his size. That is the reason he got so pumped up on steroids in order to compensate for his lack of height.

It is sad to see what has happened to him now. After reading Bret Harts book, he says how Dynamite declined towards the end of his year, just becoming a mess and not even being bothered to get his teeth fixed after having them punched out and Vince giving him the money to have them sorted. He threatened his family with shotguns and was well known as a nasty guy outside the ring, a real bully.

As an in-ring performer he had few equals, it was just that he couldn't control the demons and that he suffered a lot of injuries due to his wrestling style and the bumps he took. It is definitely a case of what might have been for The Dynamite Kid

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back