Dusty Rhodes Greatest Moments

j.beaner

Occasional Pre-Show
The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes is no doubt one of the greatest of all time having been apart of many big time organizations; Jim Crockette Promotions, WCW, ECW, WWF/E, TNA. Hes held fueds with the likes of Ric Flair, Barry Windham, Nikita Koloff, Terry Funk, Randy Savage among others. So i pose the question: What is Your Favorite Dusty Rhodes Moment? Prehaps its one of his Starrcade Matches with Flair, or maybe he just said something funny in an interview or on commentary, or maybe it was a short backstage clip from the E. I think this ones gonna be a fun one to discuss

sm_Dusty_Rhodes_-_Autograph.jpg

His feud with the Horsemen, absolutely. The promos, the angles, the matches. His work with Tully was just as good, if not better than his work with Flair.

Dusty's very existence is spectacular. He's a fat white guy with a lisp, he dances and acts like a black guy, and he's a huge draw everywhere, especially the south. It's genius. Absolutely genius.

His HARD TIMES Promo which is considered to be one of the best ever. You must watch it.

Also his comeback from getting jumped by the four horsemen. That angle was amazing. Because they actually hurt him and it turned into a major angle that sold alot of tickets.

I have too many dusty moments.

Wm 6 cause even tho he has had plenty of moments ( hell he has even had a DVD) he has never been on a bigger n better stage than that the pop he got was huge

Let's see if I remember it right:

"I have wined and dined with kings and queens;
I have slept in alleys and dined on pork and beans;
I have done it all,
but the Dream still stands tall!"

The man was a street poet with the body of the plumber at the end of the bar, but he could get in the ring and perform as well. Plus, quite possibly the greatest display of forehead scar tissue in wrestling. The build and the crazy blonde hair remind us of a day when wrestlers didn't have to look like the bastard children of bodybuilders and Chippendale dancers. They tended to look like the guy who kicked your ass when you had a few too many beers and shot off your mouth. Hell, I still think Rhodes, Arn Anderson and Terry Funk look scarier than the whole WWE roster.

Everyone mentions the Hard Times promo as his best moment. I think it was when he finally beat Flair for his third NWA World Title after gong through beat down after beat down from the Horseman. I think Dusty is great underrated when people are making greatest wrester lists in history. His mind for the business was second to none for creating many of the PPV shows and gimmick matches and the like. MY FAVORITE WRESTLER OF ALL TIME.

His work vs Horsemen in the 80's is probably his best known stuff. My favorite moment was the World Title Win in 1986 - Remember, the premise that year was The Great American Bash was going to be a month long tour, highlighted by grudge matches and specialty matches like Magnum TA vs Nikita Kolloff in Russian Chain matches or Tully Blanchad vs "Hands Of Stone" Ron Garvin in taped fist matches. Flair, as champ, was to face every legitimate opponent in the company, different wrestler every city, 6 nights a week, all month long, a gruelling test that no champion in any company had ever attempted.

Each week Flair would come out on TV and brag about who he beat last week and who he was going to beat this week and he always promised that NWA owner Jim Crockett JR would be "kissing my ass" when the month was over and he had beaten everyone.

The NWA came up with 13 wrestlers they believed legitimately could draw with Flair, including Rhodes, Magnum, Nikita even though he was a heel like Flair, bothe members of the Rock & Roll Express, Hawk & Animal of the Road Warrior, Garvin, etc. Each got multiple shots at Flair, particulary Ricky Morton who challenged him in a series cage matches.

When Dusty won it was the next to last show, everyone was on pins and needles to see if Flair could survive the challenge, and Rhodes had already failed early in the tour, this was his last shot. Dusty winning, after coming up short vs Ric so many times, with that huge accomplishment just a hair away from Flair's grasp, was momentous. The match itself was one of their best, a brutal bloody cage match with tons of drama (and vulgarity, Flair really got in character when Dusty was on offense and the swear words flew!).

Honestly, I never saw a moment this special, not even Sting's win in 1990, until maybe Sting beat Hogan in 97 or Austin FINALLY won the title vs HBK in 98. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back