• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dragonforce

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
first lets do a little bit of history for those who don't know who this band is.
Wikipedia said:
DragonForce was formed in 1999 by singer ZP Theart, bassist Steve Scott, guitarists Sam Totman and Herman Li, drummer Didier Almouzni, and keyboardist Steve Williams. Initially the band intended to call themselves "DragonHeart", but they didn't want to be confused with the Brazilian metal band Dragonheart. The band underwent various lineup changes before settling with the six current members. Their song "Through the Fire and Flames" is one of their most famous songs and is featured on the game "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock" The first track and first single, "Heroes of Our Time", from their latest album, "Ultra Beatdown", was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance on December 3, 2008.
Now on to why I like them. I'm a huge fan of all kinds of Metal be it power, trash or old school heavy metal. I love fast a furious guitar solos and you can definitely find them here. They have four Albums out there first one in 2003 only missing 2005 and 2007. I have all 4 of them and if you like Guitar solos or power metal in general I suggest you pick them up. If you've never heard them then give these songs a listen. These are my personal favorites from each album

Blackfire Valley of the Damned
[youtube]6rL5Wq6b9Fg[/youtube]

Prepare For War Sonic Firestorm
[youtube]zK146IC-E7w[/youtube]

Through The Fire And Flames Inhuman Rage
[youtube]kr_oCsN0T2U[/youtube]
If you've played Guitar Hero 3 you should know this song

Heroes of our Time Ulta Beatdown
[youtube]PvquWIULIFA[/youtube]
this song was nominated for a Grammy.

If you've never heard this band I hope I've led you to one you enjoy

Yea, can't say I'm a fan. First and foremost I want to preface my opinions, with the belief that they are all talented players of their respective instruments. However, to me it just comes off clownish. I just can't take the music seriously. Not to say music has to be serious or can't be fun/funny. I just can't help but chuckle a bit when I hear them, when I hear them I just have no interest to continue listening. It just sounds so void of anything real and doesn't strike a chord in me the way other music can/does.
I've always thought they sounded like bad video game music (perhaps the reason they've done increasingly well since being in GH:III?). It's like the music you hear as the credits to some long forgotten Konami side scroller or bad Japanese RPG on the SNES plays on. Just a bit too much cheeze for me.

The first time I ever heard of Dragonforce was at Ozzfest '06, and I was immediately skeptical when they walked out on stage. The shouts of "Go back to the eighties!" were rather audible, and I couldn't help but agree...

Then...

They opened with Operation Ground And Pound.

We all shut up.

I remember thinking, this band is Journey on steroids. I went out the next day, bought Inhuman Rampage, and loved it. I'd only heard a few other songs from them, but I haven't heard anything bad. I saw them again last year at MayhemFest, and they again impressed with an amazing live set...

I agree completely with LigerBomb. DragonForce isn't a revolutionary band, many others play this same kind of music for the credits of video games. Hell, that's what Through the Fire and the Flames was for-the credits to Guitar Hero III. Their lyrics are just a bit out there-although I'm not saying that's a fault (Rush and Zeppelin also had out there lyrics), it's just that they've called themselves "Nintendo metal" for a reason.

Sure, on their recordings they have super fast guitar solos, but who knows if those are actual pace? I wouldn't doubt it if they sped up the solos, seeing how I have heard stories of how they can't even play their own music live sometimes. At least, that was before they reached their fame, seeing how NSL just talked about a set of theirs without mentioning any faults.

Finally, let's talk about their Grammy nominated song. A year ago, they might've been able to steal this one. But seeing how they have to compete with Judas Priest and Metallica (my predicted winner for that category), they don't stand a chance. Metallica's nominated song, the worst song off of the new album IMO, is better than DF's nom.

So, yeah, in closure, DragonForce in no way shape or form is doing anything new, they just got their fame after giving Guitar Hero their hardest song ever (which wasn't even charted right, by the way). Musically, these guys suck. If you really want to hear some good guitar solos, listen to Ywngie Malsteem, Black Label Society, Ozzy, or Led Zeppelin. These guys aren't impressive, people, but if you like 'em, I can't change your mind.

I like DragonForce. It's definately not for everybody, and a lot of people will think all their songs sound the same, and a lot of people will think they're a weird band. Like Ben said, they're Nintendo metal. Probably explains why they're known as a video game band and why a lot of their lyrics sound like thins that could happen in a video game. They're just a band that's having a bit of fun and trying to make a living doing what they love. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

I actually haven't listened to Ultra Beatdown yet, but I have all their other albums, and I like every single one of their songs. They have super solos, true, but half of them are on keyboard, and the other half work because their are two guitars, and I believe they are sped up. Hey I like it, and other people like it too, so there'nothing wrong with it. I think they're taking their live performances a bit more seriously now that they hvae some exposre, because they were pretty crap live before GH3. But DragonForce aren't for everybody.

These are guys suck, they are a band people claim are fucking great becasue they can play their guitars really fast, whoopy fucking do, just because you can play one instrument fast doesn't mean the band is great, they lack talent in pretty much every other place and are really just another flavor of the month band, they may stick around for a bit but soon they'll fade away into music obscurity

These are guys suck, they are a band people claim are fucking great becasue they can play their guitars really fast, whoopy fucking do, just because you can play one instrument fast doesn't mean the band is great,
Don't stereotype the fan base Justin. I think they make great sounding music, and I don't like them just because they can play guitar fast. I can listen to Buckethead or Satriani if I want to hear that. And I agree that if you can play one instrument fast that doesn't make the band great. The band is good because they make music, that some people like, me being one of them. Obviously they're not to your taste.

they lack talent in pretty much every other place and are really just another flavor of the month band, they may stick around for a bit but soon they'll fade away into music obscurity
Well not necessarily, because how long has it been since GH3? That's when they got recognised, and that's been, correct me if i'm wrong, 3 years ago. And they don't lack talent in every other place. I've met people who've said Slash doesn't have talent, and nearly everybody else would disagree. It's your own perception of whether they have talent or not, and just because you say they don't have talent doesn't make it so.

Don't stereotype the fan base Justin.

But the vast majority of their fanbase DOES like their cause of their guitar playing, maybe not all of them but most of them

I think they make great sounding music, and I don't like them just because they can play guitar fast. I can listen to Buckethead or Satriani if I want to hear that. And I agree that if you can play one instrument fast that doesn't make the band great. The band is good because they make music, that some people like, me being one of them. Obviously they're not to your taste.

So then you're telling me that Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montanna are good too?, I mean people do like them, and by your own logic if people like the music they make then that makes the band good

Well not necessarily, because how long has it been since GH3? That's when they got recognised, and that's been, correct me if i'm wrong, 3 years ago.

GH3 came out in late '07, where do you get 3 yrs. from?

And they don't lack talent in every other place.

Their inability to create decent lyrics, let alone sing them, and allow you to hear the bass and drums alone would suggest otherwise

I've met people who've said Slash doesn't have talent, and nearly everybody else would disagree.

Then you've met some incredibly stupid people

It's your own perception of whether they have talent or not, and just because you say they don't have talent doesn't make it so.

The only talent this band has is the ability to play the guitar really fucking fast, you take that away and hardly anyone would give a shit about them, you can disagree with me on this all you want but it's the truth

But the vast majority of their fanbase DOES like their cause of their guitar playing, maybe not all of them but most of them.
But do you know this for sure? Or do most people just think this because they had a hard song in GH3, because the song was fast? People like different music and this music will appeal to some people, and not to others. A lot of people will say My Chemical Romance's fan base is emo. But this is another stereotype, and I think a lot of their fan base is not emo. Because a few major people like the band, and ecauseof the band's style of music, the fan base gets stereotyped.

So then you're telling me that Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montanna are good too?, I mean people do like them, and by your own logic if people like the music they make then that makes the band good.
To some people, yes they are good. I should've made he statement more specific. What I meant was since they make music that some people like, they are good in some people's opiions. And you can say they suck, some people would agree, some peopl would disagree. It depends on your taste.

GH3 came out in late '07, where do you get 3 yrs. from?
I musn't have been thinking straight... But my point is still the same. If GH3 came out just over 1 year ago, and they're a "flavour of the month" band, why are they still popular with people now? Doesn't really make much sense.

Their inability to create decent lyrics, let alone sing them, and allow you to hear the bass and drums alone would suggest otherwise
I'd like to see you think of lyrics, and sing them. You must have something wrong with your hearing, becase I can hear the drums fine in their songs. And a lot of bands these days, you cannot hear the bass anyway. So its another band that has their bass low. Whoop dee do.

Then you've met some incredibly stupid people
I agree.

The only talent this band has is the ability to play the guitar really fucking fast, you take that away and hardly anyone would give a shit about them, you can disagree with me on this all you want but it's the truth
I can't agree that the only talent they have is to play guitar fast, but if you take the guitars away no one would care about them at all. That is true. It owuld be true for a lot of bands. If you took the guitars away from nearly any band, and replaced them with a mediocre player, no one would give a damn about them at all, so this isn't one of DragonForce's faults. It's one of nearly all bands' faults.

I recently tossed some Dragonforce on my iPod for workout music. But the more I think about it, I think Dragonforce is the musical equivalent of a Jerry Lynn vs Rob Van Dam match. It's fast and impressive, but does it really make sense or serve a purpose OTHER than the speed and technique? No, not really. It's all style, no substance. It's fast for the sake of being fast.

Don't misread me - I enjoy their work because it's unique, and I respect originality. But the speed of the guitar absolutely detracts from the music itself. The lyrics get lost in "wow, they play fast. They're amazing!"

If you like this style of fast progressive rock, but feel D.F. overdoes it like I do, check out Stratovarious. They are prog rock Gods and combine the speed rock with moderate pace rock and strong vocals. Plus, you don't lose the meaning of the music in the speed.

Hunting High and Low
[youtube]9-4Gm6VG4O0[/youtube]

Learning to Fly
[youtube]3uLKwX1ZsQ[/youtube]

The first time I ever heard this band I couldn't stop laughing. Although they are very good at guitar, its just not for me. I'm not really a big fan of the 80's style progressive metal that they seem to play either. I want my metal to be brutal and tough. So basically what I'm saying is that although they're talented, they just miss the mark for me completely.

Now I'm a huge metal fan, and listen to this type of (European-style) Power Meal most of all. However, I've got to say, Dragonforce just won't cut it for me, and I consider them vastly overrated.

The only thing they really do differently from a thousand other bands out there is that they play FAST. And I mean FAST. But songwriting-wise, you just grow tired of them after listening to the third song in a row. Simply BECAUSE they are that fast, it just leaves them no room whatsoever for any sort of "individuality" in their songs. Every song is highly up-tempo (even the ballads!), and because of that, drumming becomes very monotone, the guitar riffs are just inaudible because they need to be played that fast... and add to that the singer, who in my opinion is one of the weakest Power Metal singers out there (honestly, there are TONS of guys who are better than ZP - and I'm not talking personal favorites here, I'm just talking about power in his voice) - Dragonforce ultimately ends up being a nice, funny freak show for me.

I have no problem with the fantasy-themed lyrics as most of my favorite bands use the same kind of stuff... but as said, I prefer a ton of other bands who may play a bit slower, but in exchange for that they deliver much more versatility in their songwriting. I mean, when I got the first Dragonforce album, I liked it a lot. Then I got the second one, listened to it a couple of times, and then no more. And I didn't even get the third and fourth anymore, since they are just all so very much the same.

That's basically the problem I have with Dragonforce. Definitely a good band with stellar guitarists and a damn fast drummer... but also definitely way overrated; there are many bands out there in the same genre who would deserve the same kind of attention much more than Dragonforce.

So even if I face the danger of getting a spamming infraction - which I hope is not the case as this thread isn't that old yet - I thought some of you guys might be interested in this:

Dragonforce played a show here in Vienna last Friday, and I got the chance to do an interview with Herman Li for our webzine. So if anyone's interested in that, feel free to visit the site at:

http://www.stormbringer.at/interviews.php?id=385&lang=en

By the way, I also did a (video) interview with Biff Byford of Saxon and Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth yesterday (they are touring Europe right now together), and those two should also be online in a few days.

But in any case, check out the link above... I've posted the link to the English version (as I suppose the German transcription won't help most of you much heh). Plus, I gotta admit I was positively surprised with their live performance - those guys jump around like they are playing some easy 2-chord-punk music while doing their stuff, and their singer is a lot better live than in the studio - wouldn't have expected that! And of course the guitarists are just insane hehe... and yes of course they did play "Through The Fire And The Flames" - last encore. ;) I only got my live review in German though, so I won't post that link.

I just can't get my head around that band....

I think they push the boundaries of ridiculousness.... but they don't do it in the way that should be done.
It's just my opinion but usually half way through song, I feel my brain screaming "too much.... it's just too much" in agony
I respect the guys in the band very much, they are all masters of their crafts. But there's only so many times I can listen to 32 note-per-bar finger tapping, pinch harmonic guitar solos. They just seem to be all about technical skill rather than heart. To me, they're like the opposite of Jimmy Hendrix.

But as I said, whatever they seem to be doing, they're doing it well and I applaud them for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back