Downloading Music

DethMetal

Best for (the Music) Business
Since about 2001, due to the Metallica(Lars) v. Napster battle, downloading music for free has become quite a big deal. Just out of curiousity, what is your view on the subject?

After thinking about it, it's kind of wrong, and this isn't because I'm a Metallica fan. I used to download music without paying :twocents:. However, you have to look at it from the point of view from the people who make music. Making money from what they love to do isn't selling out or being cheap. A lot of their revenue comes from record sales. Also, think of the people who produce the album. If songs are downloaded, they're not making money at all. iTunes pays musicians a very tiny amount, which is why bands like Tool aren't on iTunes. So what did I do? I went and purchased the big four albums again(Never loan a person albums). I get if you just are poor...well not poor...just don't have the money or time, but if you make a pretty decent living, you should be able to go down to _________ and purchase _______. The artists aren't being stingy; you are.

So guys, what is your view on downloading music?(By the way, the writing above is not to sway anyones opinion.:)

I think its absolutley fucked up that people actually go out of their way to STEAL from their favorite bands. Add to that the fact that the limewire or torrent type stuff is often riddled with viruses and will destroy your whole computer and/or will be in poor quality and that its illegal and it makes no sense....

I buy CDs and use iTunes , I SUPPORT bands/artists I like

One thing I recently saw is Bullet For My Valentine posted on Facebook that they have broken the 4million "Likes" mark on Facebook. But you know what? None of their records have individually done much better than 1 million sales. That means we're looking at about 2,900,000 out of 4,000,000 people being music theiving pirates or simply looking them up on youtube instead of buying music etc

Oh yeah and also , I don't see why so many people can't grasp this simple concept. You like a band/artist and they put out a new CD , go to the fucking store and pay the measly $10. Its not like music you actually want to buy comes out so often that those $10s add up to an unaffordable ammount.......

If you have iTunes and look at play counts and then add up all the time one single CD depending on how much you listen to it goes up to hours and hours and even entire days spent listening to something.

My current (Computer seems to find an excuse to die or be wiped out or reinstalled every 1-3 years or so and so playcounts get lost) #1 most played song according to iTunes when I did the math totals up to 9.1 HOURS of listening to just that one single song.... 9.1 Hours of awesome musical pleasure for $1.29? Thats a great deal , of all things was absolutley worth paying for....

I have VARIOUS thoughts on this, and they have changed over time.

I, download music. I will not lie about this. Yet, I support the bands I like. And I have one of the greatest artists of our time to back me up

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2007/05/14/trent_reznor_speaks_out_about_music_piracy

http://www.music2dot0.com/archives/36

Trent reznor, is COMPLETELY against the over priced albums that people hawk to us at stores and outlets. And I for one have ALWAYS felt this way. So he is just a industry insider, that is ABOUT THE MUSIC. Not the profit sharing of it

During the time that Lars was on the napster kick, I agreed, It was a time when cd's weren't as pricey as they are, and I bought what I could back then.

NOW, is a different time.

Look at the SMALL percentage if ANY that artists recieve from cd/album sales, its fractions of a dollar, if that. TLC's left eye broke this down. When the artists recieves the royalties from cd sales, they STILL have to PAY BACK the record label, and thats AFTER the label already recieved the vast majority of said royalties. All profit to the industry, barely ANY to the artists

Anyone who find it ''disgusting'' to download music, Do the math. They DON'T GET RICH OFF CD SALES. Nor youtube video hits, they make their money off of touring, merchandise and appearances. THATS how you support your favorite artists, financially

I prefer having the hard copy because if you lose the files you downloaded, that's it. They are gone. However if you have the hard copy then you can put it back into your computer again if you lose the files. Downloading for free was great at the time, but there remains the issue of file loss. I do not care for paying for downloads. I'm not going to pay money to download anything, ever. I can see how some people would go that route, it's cheaper to pay to download one song than it would be to buy the whole cd. Still.... If you paid to download something and it gets deleted or lost, then you lost that money for nothing.

I usually only download if I'm checking out an artist for the first time. Like with Electric Light Orchestra. I heard a song of theirs I liked, "Mr. Blue Sky", so I downloaded some of their other stuff to get a wider range of their music. Then after I listened to it and enjoyed most of it, I went out and got all their albums (on vinyl, I love vinyl). Same thing with Meatloaf, Buffalo Springfield and Crosby Stills & Nash to name just a few.

Now I guess that still leaves an issue with, "What about the bands whom I downloaded and didn't like so I never bought their album and they never got their money?" Unfortunately I don't have an answer to that, my bad I guess.

I admit, I used to download albums all the time upon the introduction of Napster and AudioGalaxy back in the day. I also used torrents a lot and Megaupload links. That's not to say I didn't purchase any CDs at all. I just did it, because of the convenience and inaccessibility. That being said, the more I thought about it and the more I debated about the music industry dying, I realized that I was being a hypocrite. I actually don't want the music industry to die and wish it still bloomed like it did pre-MP3 era. So, in conclusion I don't download anymore and only listen to the CDs I own. That also means that my iPod Touch or other MP3 player devices only contain music that I actually own legitimate hard copies of (unless they were purchased digitally off iTunes). The reason why I purchase some albums off iTunes is because I can't find the hard copies in local stores and I don't worry about losing them off my PC or anything since I back them up by burning them onto CD and keeping the iTunes receipt. I'm also not fond of purchasing albums off the internet via credit card as that carries its own catalog of hassles. I do this with video games and movies too. Supporting is what I want everything to return to. I honestly miss those times.

I support the bands i like, concert tickets, concert merchandise, bands usally get so little of album sells, Hank Williams III (my fave artist) done a interview not long ago that he said he got less than 10 cents per every cd that was sold with his name on it. He has went so far as to say don't buy any of his previous cd's now that he's off of the record label, because they was fucking terrible to him. (he had to sue curb records to release his music...) I've seen him post a number of times to download his music, share it with everyone you know and get his message and music out there. imo buying cd's isn't really supporting the artist, it's supporting the assholes in management jacking up prices (20 dollars for a single cd, usually 8-10 songs.. really?) I buy a lot of hard copy cd's if i feel the band actually appreciates the fans and are reasonable prices, but that's not many nowadays.

Well an alternative to downloading music is that some fo the music is on YouTube but I fele that it's easier to download music then to go out and buy albums for every single artist you like. Whether the artist's music sales are going down due to downloading music fact of the matter is they're still going to be making more money then us,

I prefer having the hard copy because if you lose the files you downloaded, that's it. They are gone. However if you have the hard copy then you can put it back into your computer again if you lose the files. Downloading for free was great at the time, but there remains the issue of file loss. I do not care for paying for downloads. I'm not going to pay money to download anything, ever. I can see how some people would go that route, it's cheaper to pay to download one song than it would be to buy the whole cd. Still.... If you paid to download something and it gets deleted or lost, then you lost that money for nothing.

Well iTunes lets you redownload everything you have ever downloaded if you want

Plus now Amazon does too with their cloud system

But I prefer to get the hard copies whenever I can too because I like collecting physically existant CDs like as a room decoration a rack full of CDs

I especially prefer to buy in physical form if the album has cool artwork and comes in a jewel case

I HATE it when it comes in a paper case (See : Coldplay , KT Tunstall , & Three Days graces most recent releases)................

I actually just ordered the physical copies of "The new order" & "The formation of damnation" by Testament just cause the art was so cool I had to have the actual copies laying around my room instead of just a picture on my iTunes nobody would ever see :p (But for instance will be buying any of the rest of their old albums digitally on iTunes cause the artworks not that cool lol)

ANYWAY you guys say stuff about the CDs not supporting the artists , while touring & merch are the strongest income for bands typically you gotta consider the record labels still deserve your money for being smart enough to sign the bands you love and help them put out these records :rolleyes:

I usually only download if I'm checking out an artist for the first time

I use iTunes 1:30 previews , Youtube , and Grooveshark (A streaming music site) to explore stuff I'm just discovering

Well iTunes lets you redownload everything you have ever downloaded if you want

I don't think so. I think they only let you re-download apps. Unless you have the albums that you downloaded from iTunes on your PC, you have to re-purchase them if you lose them from your PC. It's super lame. It happened with me when I purchased Dj Sly tracks and lost them. I had to re-purchase.

I don't think so. I think they only let you re-download apps. Unless you have the albums that you downloaded from iTunes on your PC, you have to re-purchase them if you lose them from your PC. It's super lame. It happened with me when I purchased Dj Sly tracks and lost them. I had to re-purchase.

No really , I did it once I went to their customer service site and it said basically ok send the request email and I did

Then I open my iTunes and it has a queue up of all the music I ever downloaded from iTunes ready to redownload all of it for free

and so I did , so yes you can

In truth, I think it's wrong. However, I still do it. The reason I still do it is because I don't think the price of the songs is reasonable and I also don't think that the artists are the ones losing out.

The labels are the ones losing out. Most artists get a fraction of what the CD costs. On major labels, it's about 1-2 dollars in some cases. Some of this is then used to pay people that support your career (though, in truth, you support them).

Indie labels allow you to make far more, but I buy indie label music so that's beside the point.

Concerts and merchandise make them money. Someone else mentioned that the companies deserve your money. No, they don't. Record companies have ripped off artists for years and tried to make the best artist change their visions. They deserve nothing.

Major Record Labels = Evil.

Honestly, I used to buy cd's and stuff, but now, I refuse to. The reasons being is that right now, the genre of music I enjoy, Hip Hop/Rap, sucks. The Rap game is so weak to me, that I refuse to support any of them. I listen more to mixtapes then real studio albums. I frequent datpiff to find mixtapes that I enjoy. I don't enjoy studio albums anymore so I don't buy them, and I refuse to pay money for mixtapes.

Another reason why is that I'm a struggling college student, who is limited in the funds department, and every time I see some artist on tv, they seem to be doing something stupid with money. They already have money, and most of them don't know how to act with it, so I refuse to give them my hard earned money so that they can blow it on stupid stuff. I struggle every month to pay bills, and they are "ballin'", and I don't believe that I should give my money to them.

Back when music was good and my money was flowing, I always bought the newest CD's and things, but now, I feel an entirely different way then I did before. For the 10, 15, or 20 dollars I would spend on a cd, I could spend on something more beneficial to me. I'm not saying my way or thoughts are right or better than anyone else's, but they are mine, and I stand by them.

You guys are all absolute *****es.

I am willing to be that everyone in here has downloaded illegally at one point in time. You guys just think that defending people who buy records is a whole lot more noble than owning up to the truth.

Me? I download shamelessly and when it all catches up to me, I will be in a world of problems. That being said, I really don't give a flying fuck. The problem is that music is ridiculously shit right now and I don't get why I should have to spend £15 on something that no one really cares about. The last album I bought was over a year ago and my music library has grown massively since then. I download and I download a lot.

It comes down to this; why pay for something that you could get for free? If someone can come up with a good answer to that that doesn't involve "it means that producers/labels and other people get paid", then maybe I will consider stopping. Right now though, I am off to download some more music.

I really haven't found any good search engines to download music. Nothing notable since Napster, Limewire, and a bunch of other shitty virus spreading search engines that wreck your computer. The quality is usually pretty shitty as well. I downloaded tons of music in the past and even ended up paying for it by having my laptop completely fried. There isn't any new music today that I care about. I don't buy many CD's anymore, but I don't mind spending 5 or 10 bucks for Alice in Chains greatest hits or some old Kiss and AC/DC albums.

I have paid 10 bucks to download albums on iTunes and Amazon before. There are many websites that allow you to listen to music for free, so I have no need to download much. I'm not going to run out and by the new Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber album anytime soon or some other garbage. I'll stick with the classics.

I am willing to be that everyone in here has downloaded illegally at one point in time. You guys just think that defending people who buy records is a whole lot more noble than owning up to the truth.

Me? I download shamelessly and when it all catches up to me, I will be in a world of problems. That being said, I really don't give a flying fuck. The problem is that music is ridiculously shit right now and I don't get why I should have to spend £15 on something that no one really cares about. The last album I bought was over a year ago and my music library has grown massively since then. I download and I download a lot.

It comes down to this; why pay for something that you could get for free? If someone can come up with a good answer to that that doesn't involve "it means that producers/labels and other people get paid", then maybe I will consider stopping. Right now though, I am off to download some more music.

...You mad Dave? I think it's wrong to do so. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion.nnand not all music is shit. You just gotta get out of that mainstream bubble :)

Hell, Lars Ulrich years later even said that he doesn't care if someone downloads Metallica's music, he just didn't like the fact that a song that wasn't finished yet was leaked through Napster's service. It's as simple as that.

Most real musicians know that they aren't going to make shit on a record contract, they would much rather you buy a ticket to their show, get a t-shirt, and buy a poster than buy a CD. The only reason certain bands make a ton of money from recording is because their record company gives then a ton of money to sign on the dotted line, or they are a newer group that signs a "360 Contract" which gives them a larger portion of the album and single sales, but they end up losing out on the revenues that other bands receive from promotions, merchandising and performances.

Beyond your completely immature approach to this subject, I agree, I haven't bought an actual album in years. I have Gb's of music on my laptop and Terabyte hard drive, I refuse to do so again, until the quality gets better, the bands get more from it, or downloading is punishable by death

The problem is that music is ridiculously shit right now and I don't get why I should have to spend £15 on something that no one really cares about.
I guess the counter-argument to that would be: If it's shit, and you don't care about it, why bother stealing it? Because you can? Do you really get no value out of your download?

Or is that just a convenient excuse, to say it's shit so you feel better about ripping off the people who provide it to you in the first place. Not even really talking about the artist, but the producers, etc. If it really was shit, and not one really cares about it, why break the law to acquire it?

It comes down to this; why pay for something that you could get for free?
Because it's the law? Because the people who created it did so for a return on their investment?

If someone can come up with a good answer to that that doesn't involve "it means that producers/labels and other people get paid", then maybe I will consider stopping.
It's the law? Is that a good enough reason?

Don't get me wrong, CD prices are ridiculously high for what it costs them to produce, the artists get screwed on the CD deal, and a lot of CDs come with 2 or 3 good songs and everything else sucks, I get that. But just don't get the music. I think paying for a General Motors Hummer is a ripoff, but you don't see me going to steal one, now do you? No, I just decide it's not worth paying for and do without. The argument "it's not worth paying for, so I'm going to steal it instead" just doesn't cut the mustard.

Furthermore, who says you have to pay for an entire CD? I can't speak for across the ocean, but at least here in America, there are a TON of resources where you can just buy individual songs. Don't want to buy the entire CD? Just pay for one song. It's not that difficult.

I'm sorry, but in this day and age, stealing music is a morally bankrupt thing to do, since there are alternatives to the "every song except two on the CD is crap" argument. Either go without the music at all, or deal with the price.

I can't speak for everyone but I only download music that I can't find or music that I like but don't want to spend insane amounts of money on for what they're offering. There's also me just wanting to check it out and if I like it I will delete it from my computer and go buy the Album.

If I like a band enough and enjoy their music know I will like it so I just go buy the CD. I want my favorite bands to get the money they deserve so I do it that way.

I do the same thing with movies as well. Downloaded season 3 of True Blood so I could watch it and then deleted it from my computer because I knew I would buy it (which I did yesterday)

Don't get me wrong, CD prices are ridiculously high for what it costs them to produce, the artists get screwed on the CD deal, and a lot of CDs come with 2 or 3 good songs and everything else sucks, I get that. But just don't get the music. I think paying for a General Motors Hummer is a ripoff, but you don't see me going to steal one, now do you? No, I just decide it's not worth paying for and do without. The argument "it's not worth paying for, so I'm going to steal it instead" just doesn't cut the mustard.

Furthermore, who says you have to pay for an entire CD? I can't speak for across the ocean, but at least here in America, there are a TON of resources where you can just buy individual songs. Don't want to buy the entire CD? Just pay for one song. It's not that difficult.

I'm sorry, but in this day and age, stealing music is a morally bankrupt thing to do, since there are alternatives to the "every song except two on the CD is crap" argument. Either go without the music at all, or deal with the price.

All right then, let me go ahead and restate my case.

The music is not all that bad and some artist are giving better accounts of themselves than others. For example, I paid for Muse's last album and it was fucking awful. I actually got annoyed that I could have saved the £15 I spent on that album for something else. I don't think you can put it down to taking a gamble on a certain album. The problem with music is that you never know what you are going to get before you listen to it and a lot of the time you feel cheated that you paid a lot of money for something that you wont enjoy. It's like going out for a meal and paying £60. Then you find out that you don't like what the Chef has prepared. In that scenario, generally, they will take something off your bill. A bad example? Maybe. But I don't see why I should pay through the nose for something that I might actually hate. I've learned lessons in the past.

I might be selfish and I think you want me to admit that. I have no problems with saying that, I want to hear what bands are offering and I hate paying a lot for the music. I generally don't have a lot of disposable income once all of my bills are paid and find that downloading music is just cost-effective. Maybe I am greedy and it is obviously against the law but people do it every day. I've never warned about it and when I do, I will stop. I don't mind telling you that I am stealing and I am not trying to defend it. But music companies need to realise that music should be accessible for everyone and £15 for one CD is ridiculous. Half the price and I would certainly buy more. I don't download everything though. The bands I know I will like will get my money. The artists I am in doubt about, I will download.

I may be “morally bankrupt” but at this point, I feel as though a lot of factors have pushed me towards that. I buy just as many as I download and I download shamelessly. I don't feel bad about it and anything you say wont make me change that. I guess my argument comes down to “Why take the risk on every song being shit and wasting my money?”

All right then, let me go ahead and restate my case.

The music is not all that bad and some artist are giving better accounts of themselves than others. For example, I paid for Muse's last album and it was fucking awful. I actually got annoyed that I could have saved the £15 I spent on that album for something else. I don't think you can put it down to taking a gamble on a certain album. The problem with music is that you never know what you are going to get before you listen to it and a lot of the time you feel cheated that you paid a lot of money for something that you wont enjoy. It's like going out for a meal and paying £60. Then you find out that you don't like what the Chef has prepared. In that scenario, generally, they will take something off your bill. A bad example? Maybe. But I don't see why I should pay through the nose for something that I might actually hate. I've learned lessons in the past.

I might be selfish and I think you want me to admit that. I have no problems with saying that, I want to hear what bands are offering and I hate paying a lot for the music. I generally don't have a lot of disposable income once all of my bills are paid and find that downloading music is just cost-effective. Maybe I am greedy and it is obviously against the law but people do it every day. I've never warned about it and when I do, I will stop. I don't mind telling you that I am stealing and I am not trying to defend it. But music companies need to realise that music should be accessible for everyone and £15 for one CD is ridiculous. Half the price and I would certainly buy more. I don't download everything though. The bands I know I will like will get my money. The artists I am in doubt about, I will download.

I may be “morally bankrupt” but at this point, I feel as though a lot of factors have pushed me towards that. I buy just as many as I download and I download shamelessly. I don't feel bad about it and anything you say wont make me change that. I guess my argument comes down to “Why take the risk on every song being shit and wasting my money?”

No offense intended, but everything you just said there is an excuse. It's justification for your own peace of mind to rip off the people who provide the good to you.

When you bought that Muse album, you knew there would be a chance you wouldn't like it, correct? Of course you did. But you took the chance that you would like it, and it backfired on you. Lesson learned. That's part of dealing in economics. I'm sure plenty of Muse fans thought the album was good and worth the money. Just because YOU don't, doesn't speak to the quality of the album.

Let's talk about a few other things:

1) You don't have a lot of disposable income. You know what the solution to that is? You don't get to listen to the music. What makes you think you're entitled to the music? There is no moral clause in any country that says you have the right to goods and services you cannot afford, so why would music be any different?

2) Your restaurant example. I've never been some place where they are willing to take a percentage off of the bill because you didn't like it. But, for argument's sake, let's say the restaurant did. Why would they do that? Because they want you to come back and spend that $60 on another meal. What incentive does the music industry have to take money off their CD? So you can still rip it off for free? That doesn't make any sense for them to do.

3) You mentioned if the music industry would charge less for the CD, more people would buy it (you said you would be more likely to buy it, so let's just extend that to everyone). The problem with this notion is that it just isn't supported by facts. People can offer an app in the iPhone app sore for $1, but people still will hack their phones and install cracked version of the app for free. No matter what price those CDs are in the store, they still are going to cost more than free.

At the end of the day, the problem here is not that you're greedy, it's that you have a feeling of entitlement to things you just don't deserve. The fact you can come up with all these reasons to justify stealing things you simply don't WANT to buy is proof of that. However, it's a shame so many in this world feel that way, because there used to be a little honor to people, in that they'd take what they earned and could afford. Now, with the digital age, people think they're entitled to everything simply because they can.

It's just plain dishonest. And no one has pushed you to be dishonest, you choose to be dishonest.

No offense intended, but everything you just said there is an excuse. It's justification for your own peace of mind to rip off the people who provide the good to you.

When you bought that Muse album, you knew there would be a chance you wouldn't like it, correct? Of course you did. But you took the chance that you would like it, and it backfired on you. Lesson learned. That's part of dealing in economics. I'm sure plenty of Muse fans thought the album was good and worth the money. Just because YOU don't, doesn't speak to the quality of the album.

Let's talk about a few other things:

1) You don't have a lot of disposable income. You know what the solution to that is? You don't get to listen to the music. What makes you think you're entitled to the music? There is no moral clause in any country that says you have the right to goods and services you cannot afford, so why would music be any different?

2) Your restaurant example. I've never been some place where they are willing to take a percentage off of the bill because you didn't like it. But, for argument's sake, let's say the restaurant did. Why would they do that? Because they want you to come back and spend that $60 on another meal. What incentive does the music industry have to take money off their CD? So you can still rip it off for free? That doesn't make any sense for them to do.

3) You mentioned if the music industry would charge less for the CD, more people would buy it (you said you would be more likely to buy it, so let's just extend that to everyone). The problem with this notion is that it just isn't supported by facts. People can offer an app in the iPhone app sore for $1, but people still will hack their phones and install cracked version of the app for free. No matter what price those CDs are in the store, they still are going to cost more than free.

At the end of the day, the problem here is not that you're greedy, it's that you have a feeling of entitlement to things you just don't deserve. The fact you can come up with all these reasons to justify stealing things you simply don't WANT to buy is proof of that. However, it's a shame so many in this world feel that way, because there used to be a little honor to people, in that they'd take what they earned and could afford. Now, with the digital age, people think they're entitled to everything simply because they can.

It's just plain dishonest. And no one has pushed you to be dishonest, you choose to be dishonest.

You are right, you know that. I will admit that I am dishonest about things. I constantly lie to myself that I will buy music more and more. Don't get me wrong, I still buy my fair share of CD's. I still enjoy listening to music but I just don't think that the majority of music is worth the money that I would pay. Dishonourable? Probably.

I guess you are right, maybe I do have a sense of entitlement but what is more likely is that I just don't want to miss out on what an album can give me. Yes, it may be selfish and I am not denying that. Everything you say about not being able to afford something these days and still getting it is a really bad trend but a trend that is growing. Let's get this straight though, I am not the only downloading music. More people than ever are using torrents and downloaders to get what they want and not what they can afford. I think we all need to take a look at the wider picture and ask ourselves why we are all downloading instead of buying.

My answer to that is that music is not value for money at this point in time. It might sound like an excuse to you and just writing it, it sounds like an excuse to me too. Yet, it is the closest I have ever come to an answer. I am searching for another answer that would appease you but nothing is going to do that. Information and media is becoming more readily available for download and it makes sense that people are taking advantage of that. If it came along to the point that I needed to pay for everything that I wanted, then I would do that. Taking advantage of what is put before me is just human nature. It comes down to how honourable you are and as you've already covered, I am not Gandhi or anything.

Still, I wont stop downloading music for free and that's a personal choice. Entitlement may have something to do with it but I guess it just comes down to convenience. Excuse or not, that's what I am calling it.

Sorry.

I use to do a lot of illegal downloading. I only went out and bought CD's for the bands I truly only cared about. Shit, more than half the songs on my computer are illegally downloaded. I did stop because I kept getting viruses lol. I found a lot of good quality songs were getting a bit more difficult to find as well. I do however still download full albums, only when I'm unsure if an album with be good or just suck. So that way if I download it and it sucks, well then I wouldn't have just wasted 15 bucks now.

I use Itunes a lot more frequently now though. If I just want one song from an album, Itunes allows me to purchase that one song and its only 99 cents(1.30 for the good ones). That, too me seems like a real fair price and I don't mind it. Plus albums on Itunes are often a little cheaper than in the stores. Problem is, I still like to physically own my CD's. If my computer suddenly crashes before I had the time to back it up, then I'm fucked. If I have CD's, at least I'm more reassured.

As far as what artists think about downloading music. I read quite a few interviews from various artists. While a majority of them don't fully support illegal downloading, there are artists who are grateful for the exposure it gives them. Its easier for people to get access to the music and share it it which gives the artist a greater chance of being heard. So while illegal, it does have some benefits.

There are 2 situations in which I will download music.

1. For screening purposes- I always download an album before I buy it. If it sucks, I'll just delete it save for maybe the one or two songs I liked if there are any. If I like it, I usually go out and buy it. There are a few bands I like that have a great track record so I may just buy the CD without screening it. But then when someone who has a hit and miss track record, say Lil Wayne for example, releases an album, you bet your ass I'm going to download it first. It may be wrong in the eyes of some, but I'll be the one with money in my pocket and you'll be the one with your head held high and your pockets empty. I don't risk money, musicians have to earn it from me.

2. It leaks- Using another example, Tech N9ne is someone who puts out quality albums that I not only buy, but I'll usually pick it up the same day it's released. But the past 2 albums he's dropped leaked a week or so before it's release date. I have no shame in admitting that I downloaded it. If I was going to buy it before it leaked, and I am still planning to buy it afterward(which I did, by the way,) then who am I hurting?

I live my life by my own moral code. I don't refrain from doing something just because it's illegal, I only do it if I personally feel that I'm doing something wrong. In all honesty, I feel that it's more reprehensible for an artist to trick his fans into buying a shit album than it is for fans to see if it's worth buying beforehand.

EDIT: Just a little side note, downloading music does next to nothing to the artist because the artist gets jack shit from record sales. If you really want to support your favorite artists, go buy a ticket to their shows. That's where they really make their money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back