• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Don West Is Leaving TNA

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to PWInsider.com, Don West is going to be leaving TNA within the near future. As of right now, I haven't read anything concerning the reasons why he's leaving, just that it'll be soon.

Since 2009, West has been head of TNA's merchendise division and, according to reports, really turned it around so that it was bringing in significant revenue for the company. West also got lots of positive feedback on his energetic plugging of the merchendise at live events. Prior to 2009, West was color commentator on TNA iMPACT!.

Not really a big deal in my eyes, but I'm sure some fans will be bummed given that West has been with TNA for so long. Some liked him on commentary but the guy got on my nerves. It wasn't so much that he was doing a horrible job in that it seemed like he was constantly trying to scream and that raspy voice made it sound like he was on the verge of a major asthma attack.

And yes, it came to me as well that there'll be rumors about West going to TNA and that WWE made him a better offer. So, let 'em begin. :p

This is bad. Don West was an awesome business promoter. He came to every house show and made sure every t-shirt, belt, toy, ect was sold. He'd walk around the audience and persuade people to buy into TNA's merchandise, and he was good at it too! Hell, he even got me to pay for TNA's brown bag special when they came here! He was so energetic in everything he did. Especially when he was in the booth. Taz is cool, Tenay is boring, but Don West brought that heat and passion to the booth in TNA that just made you want to watch it. Can't really say whether or not he's going to end up in the E, because for one, there isn't anything he can really do right now besides maybe a manager position or a road agent. Anyway, I think this is definitely TNA's loss.

He will be picked up by the WWE where Dixie will accuse the WWE again of stealing inside secrets and another lawsuit.

Don seems like a good guy but was just a horrible announcer. Hopefully he finds something better to do with his life. Wish him the best.

Damn, I mean I know he did not have an onscreen role for some time but I see the odd video of him promoting goods on the TNA's youtube channel he had such great passion. I'd have him back over Taz any day, particularly heel Don West.

Also if this report is true, it's nice to hear the merchandise sells well. I honestly had no idea if it did or not, being in the UK I'd never pay shipping.

He came to every house show and made sure every t-shirt, belt, toy, ect was sold. He'd walk around the audience and persuade people to buy into TNA's merchandise, and he was good at it too! Hell, he even got me to pay for TNA's brown bag special when they came here! He was so energetic in everything he did. Especially when he was in the booth.

Wow that's a great story haha I remember the video he did on the brown bag special, seemed like a damn good deal!

I always thought West was a wildly overrated announcer. He actually sounded like a QVC pitchman, which coincidentally, he was. While I'll never trash his enthusiasm or his energy, I did question, repeatedly, the value of either in the booth. To me, he was always a shining example of a guy trying way too hard, to the point it actually hurt the product. The incessant screaming, the total overreactions over events that didn't warrant it, etc. just really started to grate on me, and it wasn't until he "turned heel" and started showing up "drunk", and shitting on Tenay, that I really ever began to care about him — unfortunately it was too little too late.

I'm sure TNA will hurt in merchandising sales because of this, but that's likely the ONLY place they'll hurt because of this.

While I didn't care much for West as an announcer, there is no denying his ability to sell ice cubes to eskimos. He single handedly turned around the shop at home network. And like Rockyfolifebo!!! said, he helped push A LOT of TNA/IW merchandise.

WWE won't go there, but someone like ROH or Dragon Gate will really benefit from his expertise in getting their merch and business bigger.... Horrible announcer, but he filled a hole at the time for TNA... I get the feeling there is a big shift in TNA right now and Brooke being signed is a big part of it. The message is sent, Hogan is the captain of the ship whether it sinks or not and Dixie will whistle on...

As a commentator he was average at best. But having said that he is still a damn sight better than Mike Tennay.

For TNA this is probably a big loss. If he really was this good as a Merch seller then I dont see why WWE wouldnt snap him up right away. With the current TNA-WWE law suit going on I could also see Vince taking him on just for Shits and giggles.

a little surprising considering how long he has been there but over the last few years, they really didn't use him as well as they could have. i know he has been working on merchandise but why not have him do the voiceovers for the commercials? but who knows why he is leaving, maybe he got a good offer somewhere else and thought it was time to move on.

He is leaving TNA to take the GM job for the Wenatchee Wild, a junior league NAHL hockey team in Washington state. Apparently it was too lucrative an offer to refuse. Don has always been a big sports guy. He did an afternoon sports radio show in Nashville for a few years before and while TNA was in it's infancy there. It's a great move for him with a wider room for career advancement.

I never liked West as an announcer. I agree with the statement made about him sounding like the QVC pitchman that he used to be. he was just too much in the booth. He did however seem enthusiastic about his job and I am sure he will be missed in the merchandise department. It seems liked he was quite a salesman.

Here is the reason why he is leaving.. I can't blame him seems like a great opportunity for him. I commend him on leaving the right way without burning any bridges. He is a class act, I got to meet him a few months ago in Charlottesville and he gave my son some action figures for free.. he was kind to us! I wish him all the luck in the world.

Partial Source: Pwinsider

Don West is reportedly leaving TNA due to the fact that he was offered a spot as the General Manager of the North American Hockey League’s Wenatchee Wild out of Wenatchee, Washington. West will be involved in all aspects of the Wild and got a great offer that he could not have reasonably turned down.

There is no reported heat on West for leaving and he is said to be going out on good terms. He will finish up with TNA this month.

ORIGINAL: Several TNA sources say that Don West has given the company notice that he will be leaving soon. West has been with the organization since its inception. He first worked as an announcer before moving on to be the head of TNA merchandise in the summer of 2009.

When he started, he had no experience in the wrestling business when the company launched in June 2002. West and Mike Tenay were the company’s announce team. West was also used as The Amazing Red’s manager. West was replaced by Taz in the announcer’s position in August 2011. West then went on the road full-time with autograph signings and doing “Don West Deals” at the shows. West would mention deals inside the ring and at the merchandise table.

West, who used to work for Shop at Home (and was even parodied once by Will Ferrell on Saturday Night Live), used his pitching style for the ShopTNA.com website and TNA live eventss. Several people within TNA say that it will be “near impossible” to replace West’s skills in the merchandise aspect. West will now focus on his website, Wild West Deals (WildWestDeals.com).

Wasn't into his announcing but he was amazing on shoptna... Damn shame, I liked listening to his deals. He had the voice and all for it.

Amazing that a small town semi- pro hockey in the middle of Washington state could make an unrefuseable offer to a guy working for an international wrestling company.

Don West needs to go to WWE...

I see him immediately being thrust into the Brodus Clay entourage upon arrival. While Clay sings along with his theme song during his entrance, exclaiming repeatedly for somebody to call his momma, Don West can jump in front of him with a megaphone and shout:

BE DIALIN!

If Brodus Clay is wrestling gold, the interjection of Don West makes him platinum. If this happens, I expect Clay to headline WM next year.

Just remember who you heard it from first.

He was awesome at selling TNA's merchandise but it is also amazing how a small town team can make him a better offer than TNA, but oh well.........

I don't think it is so much a financial decision as a career one. If he is successful there, he can move up into the big time sports world. He isn't getting any younger and if he is going to change fields and have the time for the upward mobility to make it rewarding, his window of opportunity is starting to close. The wrestling world is a pretty closed shop and he took this chance and ran with it. Good luck to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back