• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dolph, Lana, Rusev & Summer Rae

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Personally, I thought last night's segment featuring these four was easily the low point of Raw. There's just so much wrong with this segment that I'd normally say that it'd be easier to list what's right, but the problem is that I couldn't find anything right, at least not from my perspective.

For one thing, I got no sense of chemistry between either of the two "couples" and it makes the whole thing feel extremely awkward and the whole thing just screams of the sort of segment that Vince finds extremely entertaining. For another, and this possibly gives me the impression of it being Vince's baby more than anything else, is the stereotypically outdated way in which Lana and Summer Rae were depicted. Essentially, you had a couple of attractive women in very short skirts getting into a cat fight, with Lana's skirt being so short & tight that any sudden movements causes the hem to essentially bunch up almost to her waist. As a red blooded heterosexual male, I've got no problems with attractive women wearing clothing showing what they got but, as a wrestling fan, it irritates me to see them essentially portrayed as though they have nothing to offer than all sorts of aesthetically pleasing features and curves. The segment did seem to get a pretty big pop by the time it was all finished, though I'm thinking it had more to do with the sight of two hot blondes rolling around on the canvas while one's skirt was so short that any quick movement caused it to be hiked damn near up to her neck.

Another problem I have is that they've essentially turned Rusev, who was, aside from Brock Lesnar, the most "feared" heel on the roster for over a year, into a whining, sniveling 285 pound pussy. Rusev's portrayal, along with the storyline as a whole and the women cat fighting, screams of a horrendous soap opera inspired angle, though even this is tacky, cheap, awkward and just flat out nonsensical even by soap opera standards.

What a waste. I didn't watch much of Raw but was curious about catching this segment after I heard about it so I watched a video. Again, what a waste. We've waited so long for Lana to get physical and this is what we get? A one off with Summer Rae with no back story? It was a let down. I wish they could have given it some build over a few weeks. This was a throw away. Lana is a huge Personality and this was a waste for her development.

Once again Raw is leaving me not wanting more.

I have to agree with the OP, the whole segment was pretty bad, and I'm afraid that we're in for more of it.

This might have worked if Rusev wasn't injured. He could have come down to the ring, grunted out a few phrases, thumped the hell out of Ziggler, grabbed Lana by the hair caveman style and dragged her to the back. As it is, he's now being seen as being a whole lot weaker than everyone thought, chasing after a woman who clearly doesn't want him anymore.

Lana on the other hand can never go back to the pouting stern faced Russian who hates America. She basically said last night, Rusev was the one who controlled her, even down to what she said and thought. Meanwhile all this time we were under the impression that she was the one in control. I'm afraid she has done a complete 360 and it will be all but impossible for her to go back to the way she was.

Fully expecting her to come out next week with her hair down, wearing Daisy Dukes and the required skimpy cleavage showing shirt. This is one time I wish the WWE would pack up this story line like it never happened. I usually complain when they do things like this, but no, would be quite happy never to see that bullshit again.

Last night I really, really tried to enjoy Raw and not complain as much. However, this was an awful segment. I agree with Jack-Hammer that neither couple has chemistry, and it felt very forced. Not even mentioning Rusev looking so weak after all that booking the previous year. After last night's segment, I'm hoping Ziggler does leave WWE and go to ROH or NJPW because he is being so misused.

Last night I really, really tried to enjoy Raw and not complain as much. However, this was an awful segment. I agree with Jack-Hammer that neither couple has chemistry, and it felt very forced. Not even mentioning Rusev looking so weak after all that booking the previous year. After last night's segment, I'm hoping Ziggler does leave WWE and go to ROH or NJPW because he is being so misused.

Reports are he's signed a multi year contract, so he won't be going anywhere. And like i said in another post, this probably would have ended differently if Rusev hadn't haven gotten injured. As it is they're making do with a bad situation and everyone is coming out looking worse off for it.

Reports are he's signed a multi year contract, so he won't be going anywhere. And like i said in another post, this probably would have ended differently if Rusev hadn't haven gotten injured. As it is they're making do with a bad situation and everyone is coming out looking worse off for it.

Didn't they then report that Ziggler didn't sign? Anyways, I agree with what you said. Rusev's injury did mess up everything.

.... with Lana's skirt being so short & tight that any sudden movements causes the hem to essentially bunch up almost to her waist.

If it had, the skit probably would have turned into the #1 segment of the night. :)

Plainly, Rusev's injury has put a major crimp into WWE Creative's plans for him. While many folks were thinking Lana and Rusev were done with each other following his last loss to John Cena, nothing could have been further from the truth. I figured they were to be in conflict, with her perhaps managing his opponent, whether it be Dolph or someone else.

Unfortunately, the injury has caused the devolvement of the program into 'Rusev in Love' which is pretty pathetic. For one thing, it's illogical. I never had the notion that Lana was Rusev's girlfriend, did you? She seemed more like a government official overseeing his career in the service of Mother Russia......while dressing like a flight attendant for Lufthansa.

I agree with OP; this whole thing reeks of Vince McMahon's heavy hand in trying to depict relationships between people. The person who seems to have the least to do in this program is Dolph Ziggler, who didn't get to take any flops last night, although he seemed to be enjoying the whole thing.

The big hope is that WWE gets Rusev back on track once he returns to action.

Didn't they then report that Ziggler didn't sign? Anyways, I agree with what you said. Rusev's injury did mess up everything.

I didn't see that he didn't sign, so it's news to me. All I saw was that a few weeks ago he signed a contract to end his wrestling days in the WWE. I guess anything is possible.

It just felt uncomfortable to me. The writing was so wishy washy. I couldnt tell if they are trying to turn Rusev face and Zigs into the arrogant heel again or what they kept playing with my emotions to the point i almost felt bad for rusev. Usually its the face us the one in an injury storyline like this who one day surprises us by being healed and destroying the heel.

Personally, I thought last night's segment featuring these four was easily the low point of Raw. There's just so much wrong with this segment that I'd normally say that it'd be easier to list what's right, but the problem is that I couldn't find anything right, at least not from my perspective.

For one thing, I got no sense of chemistry between either of the two "couples" and it makes the whole thing feel extremely awkward and the whole thing just screams of the sort of segment that Vince finds extremely entertaining. For another, and this possibly gives me the impression of it being Vince's baby more than anything else, is the stereotypically outdated way in which Lana and Summer Rae were depicted. Essentially, you had a couple of attractive women in very short skirts getting into a cat fight, with Lana's skirt being so short & tight that any sudden movements causes the hem to essentially bunch up almost to her waist. As a red blooded heterosexual male, I've got no problems with attractive women wearing clothing showing what they got but, as a wrestling fan, it irritates me to see them essentially portrayed as though they have nothing to offer than all sorts of aesthetically pleasing features and curves. The segment did seem to get a pretty big pop by the time it was all finished, though I'm thinking it had more to do with the sight of two hot blondes rolling around on the canvas while one's skirt was so short that any quick movement caused it to be hiked damn near up to her neck.

Another problem I have is that they've essentially turned Rusev, who was, aside from Brock Lesnar, the most "feared" heel on the roster for over a year, into a whining, sniveling 285 pound pussy. Rusev's portrayal, along with the storyline as a whole and the women cat fighting, screams of a horrendous soap opera inspired angle, though even this is tacky, cheap, awkward and just flat out nonsensical even by soap opera standards.

Alas!! I corroborate with the OP wholeheartedly. I was wondering the whole day whether am I the only one who thought the segment was pretty bad. And indeed I thought about Lana's skirt. She didn't act like a wrestler, she certainly is a good actor but not a wrestler. When she tackled Summer Rae she faced away from the mat to save her pretty face than showing the rage against Summer Rae.

Being a wrestler isn't just about hitting. Its about how much one should get hit and I don't think Lana will be or is ready to get hit. She seems to be more concerned with her looks than her opponent.

More to add to the woes, there was no chemistry like it has been said. It was the same old Divas crap we've seen over the years. Gold digger? Seriously? They should've brought up something better than that.

In my verdict, I wouldn't have paired Lana with anyone. I would've let her battle her way through the Diva's division all alone just to prove Rusev that she's more than just a woman that how he had treated.

And am I the only one who heard Cheers when Rusev's music hits?

Cheers!!

Personally, I truly believe that the whole point of this program is to bide some time while Rusev recovers from his injury, and in the meantime, to change Lana's appearance while doing so. We all know that WWE spends a lot of time and places a lot of importance on the appearance of its divas. I think that WWE wishes to transition her away, physically, from the stoic, conservative blonde manager with her hair tightly held into a bun. Now she is sporting a ponytail, and has been far more laid back in her look and her actions. Give her a few more weeks, and she will be the long haired beautiful blonde, way less conservative in her appearance and her actions. Gone will be the Brigitte Nielsen (Rocky IV) Lana, and enter the typical blond bombshell Lana. All while Rusev is on the sidelines, limiting her former persona anyways.

I fully expect that as soon as Rusev is physically ready to go, Lana will double cross Ziggler and return to Rusev's side. Just with a new look and possibly a new attitude.

Agreed with most of you, this angle is appalling. I could handle it if it was a temp-thing until Battleground but the WORST part is that we can clearly see Rusev is injured right now - is this storyline really gonna carry on every week until Rusev is completely healed....jeeeesus christ no thanks!!
Rusev should be resting, not doing this shit.

2 things:
--it had an Attiude Era-esque fell to it with the catfight but it wasn't quite there.
--when Summer was talking about Lana being fake the first thing I thought of was a way to drop thenRussian accent and claim she did it to appease Rusev

I guess I'm the only one who loves this angle - wrestling fans hate love angles for some reason. Rusev cracks me up every week with the little things he brings to his performance. Him in the background trying to get Summer Rae to leave was hilarious.

Lana and Ziggler's part at the top was a little shaky but by the end I liked it. It did feel a little attitude-era-ish to me. The catfight popped, Rusev got a pop when he came out.

And I'm looking forward to hopefully Rusev changing everything about Summer Rae to make her more like Lana used to be.

Rusev is injured and continues to get tv and mic time, I think the WWE is higher on him than people think.

I dunno but I strongly disagree with a lot of others' thoughts on this angle.

Yeah, had to track this down with how bad everyone was saying. This is one of the rare instances in which it was actually worse than anyone could warn me.

1. So now, Lana was told how to feel about America, by Rusev? Sorry, it really flies against the face of everything we learned about Lana. Lana was a character with an independent mind. Something that I've kinda mentioned is a weak point for women in WWE (thanks, creative).

Now, literally all of Lana's autonomy. Her moves are decided by the man she is with. If it isn't Rusev, now it's Doop Driggler. Seriously, fuck off creative, and your desire to portray women as incapable of independent thought.

2. While I'm thinking about Floop Biggler, he can fuck off, too. The Neil Patrick Harris lookalike (actually, I've got a better nickname for him in No Talent Harris) has this innate ability to look like a ********, even when I know I should be cheering him. Everything about him screams heel, and I wind up actually feeling sympathy for Rusev, the heel.

3. Why do we need Summer Rae here? Like, why? Again, we have a woman character attaching herself to a man, and all of her thoughts and decisions controlled by the man.

4. And most importantly; it is abundantly clear that there is no chemistry between Gloop Piddler and Lana. And placing the two in these segments where they have to share their feelings about one another is so cringe worthy. It is horrific acting, and it's all likely because they don't actually feel anything for one another.

Lana and Rusev are a couple. In real life. Of course, not that it was ever brought up (except now, in these weird segments where they talk about how Rusev and Lana kissed, even though we never saw it). But they are, and seem like a really loving couple. Having Jeep Wiggler as Lana's on screen boyfriend is so forced, and we can all feel it.

So yeah, fuck this angle, and fuck Vince for forcing us all into it.

Personally, I thought last night's segment featuring these four was easily the low point of Raw.

When have these four ever NOT been the low point of an episode of ANYTHING!?

For crying out loud, it's like the WWE is a company of self-hating masochists. They came up with a neat program; Rusev, who was previously just a noisy brute, is managed by a beautiful exotic woman who at her heart is even worse than Rusev. You almost thought that maybe Rusev wasn't even really into the whole anti-American thing, that perhaps it was all her pulling the strings.

Fast forward to Rusev's injury, and it's like the WWE deliberately doesn't want these performers to succeed. It's like they're deliberately making them as unentertaining as they can be on a show that's supposed to be entertaining.

Lana isn't strong anymore, she doesn't look strong for denying Rusev's demands that she return to him. Unless this is going to turn into a huge double-cross later, it's absolutely pointless from a writer's perspective to have her mate up with Dolph. Before she was shaking her fist and shouting "RUSEV!! CRUUUUSH!!", and now she's a dopey doe-eyed dork-ass who seems better suited to being a project runway reject.

Rusev seemed to be getting somewhere by reaching for our sympathy, but he just looks stupid screaming bloody murder while hobbling all Tiny-Tim like on a damn crutch. This dude was heroically piloting a damn tank at WrestleMania, and now he's like Blanche from What Ever Happened to Baby Jane. He's the least intimidating, most pathetic performer on the roster. Maybe if he commanded a stable of enforcers that would be something, I don't know what we're supposed to feel in regard to his performances.

Summer Rae is the exact opposite of her namesake, she's like an endless void of bleak abyss that sucks the good vibes from your soul and leaves you an empty emotionless husk of your former self. While Dolph and Lana lack chemistry, that's just them. I've never seen Summer Rae bond with anyone in a meaningful way, and considering her solo work is about as spectacular I don't know why the WWE would torture us with her involvement.

Dolph is just Dolph, I highly doubt he'll get anywhere unless he just does his own thing and wait for it to magically catch on. Pairing him with Lana, and having both of them be happily into it as a silly-stupid puppy love thing, is what seems to be a means of drowning the audience in mundane bullshit so as to pick up our spirits when Lana finally betrays him. Either way, we're enduring weeks of them giggle-snorting over who loves who more.

For fucks sake! Just pull a Chuck Cunningham and end this as though it never even happened. It was all just a dream.

Yah going to go with the OP on this one.. What the hell has happened with Rusev? He was a 290 monster a few months ago damn there unstoppable now basically he's a bitch. Granted him being injured threw a wrench into the plans but still really??

The whole Dolph/Lana thing i am just not buying at all.. Those two are not working for me at all.. Rusev could kick Dolphs ass with one leg rather easily if you ask me.. Lana got the taste slapped out of her mouth by Summer Rae, which i thought was rather amusing.. I know for quite sometime now creative has wanted to switch Lana into more of american i guess this is the route they have chosen..

Rusev/Summer is more of a match IMO.. They seem to have more of a chemistry together and both were really kicked to the curb at their darkest hour.. Summer dumped by Fandango on Twitter and Rusev if you wanna look at it,dumped by Lana when he lost and got injured.. But yes clearly this was the lowpoint of raw last night and the need to hurry up with this angle and it needs to end hopefully at Summerslam

I like the Rusev vs Ziggler match idea, I don't like how its being handled. Last night was the latest example of an uninteresting promo by both camps. Lana has become uninteresting even though her look is electric , I'd rather her being bad. The slap and the Lana reaction just reeked of - who cares ? -

This whole bloody angle is beyond pathetic. In fact, I do not believe that even the 5 year old Cena fans believe this angle. How can you possibly say that Rusev is with Summer Rae and Ziggler is with Lana, when Rusev and Lana put out Fourth Wall smashing photos of their new home, their vacation in Hawaii, and mucking it up at a Predators game. We already know that this is BS. So, why is VKM even bothering with a ridiculous angle?

I admittedly haven't watched a minute of WWE TV in years, but reading about this just reeks of Vince. He has zero competition, so no motivation to put out the absolute best product he can. He's afforded some elbow room to do what he wants, and that's (as history's proven) not always a good thing.

Instead of turning Rusev into a baby, they could have easily had him disappear from TV until he's 100%, and then come back on a rampage, but never mention this whole Lana and Dolph thing. At the Rumble, Rusev enters, clears house, Dolph is the next entrant. This brings their storyline to a point where they can have matches, and not just whiny promos, and then you have yourself a decent little Mania match, maybe even opener.

But, Vince is a selfish prick.

On the bright side if Rusev [and Lana] survive this angle with their heat intact, then I'd say they're keepers. WWE did want to test the waters of Lana's popularity, and Rusev's no longer a one dimensional America hating foreigner, so those are pluses. Hopefully the angle ends with Rusev beating Dolph, him reuniting with Lana, and the two of them going on to bigger and brighter things. I mean it's not like Rusev can't be made into a badass killing machine again... unless he continuously loses to Ziggler... which would suck.

This whole thing is so awkward and forced. Rusev went from being a monster to just the opposite in this angle. I really hope he recovers soon so he can defeat Ziggler and get Lana back. Then we can forget this thing ever happened. Ziggler and Lana as a couple make no sense whatsoever. Very few onscreen kayfabe'd couples have been as awkwardly forced on us as them. The match between Lana and Summer Rae that this might lead to should be good, but I cringe any time I see Ziggler and Lana together. I want heel Lana in Rusev's corner again. That was entertaining. This is stupid. At least Summer Rae has something to do, that's about the only positive that is coming at the moment from this angle.

I must be in the minority here as I enjoy seeing new side to Lana. It is showing she has personality and has feelings. Don't get me wrong I loved her as Rusev's manager, but majority of the time when she was with him she would scream
Rusev CRUSH!" and would spout how she hated Americans. This new side to Lana is shwoing she has a heart and not a black heart. Her with Dolph does kinda seem force, but I am slowly warming up to them being a couple.

This angle will go on until Rusev is cleared to compete again and they have a series of matches. I believe if Rusev had not gotten injured that this deud would have concluded at Summerslam.

The thing I enjoyed most about that angle was the Summer Rae promo... In a segment that included Lana, Rusev, and Dolph Ziggler, SUMMER RAE was the best friggin part. Just shoot me now and put me out of my misery, because that was plain horrendous. First of all I don't know if Ziggler was trying to play the bashful pre-teen middle-schooler or just didn't know what the hell to say to express his obvious non-existant feelings for Lana... either way, it was the most awkward shit I've seen on WWE TV in a long time. Lana even broke character and started laughing, LAUGHING during her promo.

Also, can anybody explain to me what the hell is actually going on? Lana's over Rusev (who treated her like shit and controlled her life) yet seems jealous that he's now with Summer Rae? And why exactly is Summer Rae interested in a giant douchebag like Rusev in the first place? And why the FUCK are Lana and Dolph even together? When did that happen?

Such a shitstorm of a program I've run out of cuss words to describe it... end it please WWE... end it now.

I gotta agree with every word OYDK just said. The whole idea/segment of Dolph and Lana "going public" was creepy in itself. The execution was even worse, Rusev has gone from an upper-midcard heel to a dope almost because WWE wanted to keep him relevant while he was injured. Rusev has pretty much lost all of his momentum.

Summer Rae was toiling in obscurity before this angle so she has benefited slightly. It has been a COMPLETE DISASTER FOR EVERYONE ELSE. Dolph/Lana look like brother and sister. They should never have the same hairstyle on camera together, just awful.

If Dolph is in undecided contract limbo than bravo to WWE for trying to make him as irrelevant as possible. If he resigns, Rusev, Dolph, and Lana are all going to need to be built back up to recover from this travesty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back