• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does WWE have blood on their hands? Are they responsible for the deaths of wrestlers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockFan89

Closet Conservative and WWE Fan
With the recent death of Umaga, the question arises again about where the responsibility lies in the health of superstars. In recent years we have lost Benoit, Guerrero, Test, and now Umaga at very young ages. (I know some of them were not with the company when they died, but there is no doubt that wrestling was part of the reason their careers were cut short.) The NFL is going through a similar situation with concussions, and their is movement to better care for football players who suffer from head injuries.

The WWE does have a wellness policy, but it is quite obvious that it could only go so far. And the wrestling business is very different from the NFL because wrestlers are more independent. They can move between companies and work all over the world.

So here is my question, does the WWE have a moral responsibility to take every precaution with the health of their performers? Or is it the individual superstars duty to look after themselves? (Now of course both have some responsibility, but who should be the one that takes the lead, the company or the individual?)

The company, whether it be the WWE, TNA or whoever, can only do so much. When it comes to a wrestler's time away from a company, it's not up to the WWE to police their personal lives. There's a fine line between a company guarding its investment in an individual and invading their privacy. As any company is going to, the WWE brass want to make sure that their own ass is covered naturally. If a wrestler does something potentially illegal or that will embarass the company, and is caught by the authorities, then I fail to see how the WWE couldn't step in. The WWE does have its Wellness Policy but it can only go so far as has been said. The WWE recently offered to pay for rehab for any former wrestler that worked for them and, so far as I'm aware of, only Jake The Snake Roberts took them up on the offer.

As for Umaga, there are rumors that drugs may have caused his death and its possible. After failing the WWE Wellness Policy for the 2nd time, Umaga was told to attend mandatory rehab, as is stated by failing the policy twice. He refused to go, so the WWE did the only thing they could do: namely terminate his employment with them and wish him the best of luck.

When it comes to medical expenses, I'm not exactly sure since we don't know what all the wrestlers make in terms of salaries in the WWE. I don't think that it's unreasonable, however, for the WWE to contribute financially to some degree when it comes to medical costs a wrestler might receive while working for the WWE.

It's obviously a two way street, yes the company has the obligation to make sure that the welfare of the employee comes first, example I have to say is Eddie Fatu who the WWE released because he refused to abide by their wellness policy, afterwards I don't know if he actually began to take better care of himself in the sense of steroids or not, but either way it at that point came down to him because the line was set, which set. So on the other side of things it is the employee's responsibility, a company can only do so much, they cant force you to take care of yourself but they do make sure that they follow the standards that they set out for you.

As you pointed out many of the people who have died recently other then Benoit and Guerrero came after they were with the WWE, and Benoit and Guerrero have surrounding issues to their death's. So I actually have to go with it being more the responsibility of the employee, since like I stated a company can only do so much.

I think it is the employee's responsibility and to a degree the in this scenario to a degree the company's as well. In wrestling, generally, bigger is better. In my opinion, unless you are 6'6" and around 300lbs, you don't stand a chance at main event status. Recently there have been some exception, Matt Hardy (ECW is a world title imo) and CM Punk. With the pressure that the assumed sized requirement, the onus has to be on the company to for the steroid use. You get in the biz and you naturally want that title and will do everything you can to get it.

I think the individual should be more responsible and should be the ones taking more precautions with their health. Like Jack-Hammer said, the companies can only do so much. But it’s ultimately up to the wrestlers on what they do and what they don’t do.

They know there are drugs out there that are bad…so it’s up to them to not use those drugs. WWE has a wellness policy which I guess encourages wrestlers to quit drugs by punishing them. They also offer rehab for wrestlers with addictions. So they are clearly doing everything they can.

Yes, you can argue that Vince is over-working them by making them work most of the year. But hey, those wrestlers know the lifestyle they are embarking in. If they think or know it’s not the healthiest thing to do, then find something else to do because clearly being a wrestler for WWE isn’t the right thing to do.

Ultimately, WWE is doing as much as they can. They can’t be babysitting every single wrestler to make sure they aren’t overdosing or they are being healthy. So that’s when the wrestlers take responsibility for themselves as adults. So no, I don’t think WWE is to blame for most deaths of wrestlers.

Plain and simple, the sole responsibility for health lies with the performers themselves. It's up to them to ensure they're in good health. The companies should only be responsible for the welfare of their employees when the performers are performing their duties for the company. Think of it like most companies in North America. If you get injured at work, it's yours and your employer's responsibilty. If you get injured off-shift and off-site, it's your responsibility and only yours.

Wow, been a while.

No, the WWE is not responsible. If the WWE were responsible, then we wouldn't have superstars retiring and living happy and mostly healthy (I mean, it's wrestling, they beat the crap out of themselves on a daily basis) lives.

Case in point, look at Lance Storm. He has gone on the record as saying he has never done drugs or steroids, has stayed in AMAZING shape even after his wrestling career ended and has remained together with his wife.

Here is a perfect example of GOOD PERSONAL CHOICES. That is, after all, what it all comes down to: do you snort that coke? Do you inject those steroids? Do you binge drink every night of your life or irresponsibly take prescription drugs until you cannot fall asleep without them?

The WWE is not the ones FORCING wrestlers to do these things. It is the wrestlers themselves.

well yes and no, i mean yes because having them do so much shows every week is overkill at times travelling here there and everywhere, taking bumps and hits n the way as well, but........ i say no because every man is responsible for his actions, so it is there decision if they want that type of life style or not, they don't have to say yes, do they?.

I've kind of been sitting back and waiting here. There is always someone who wants to say that it is all Vince's fault. The common argument is that Vince is the one who puts them on the road so much, he's the one who likes his superstars to look huge, muscular, ect. He doesn't provide time off or an off-season, blah, blah, blah.

Sadly, there is no excuse for grown men and women who take steroids, pain killers, and the like, other than their own inability to make good life decisions. I don't care if Vince himself literally walked up to them, looked them in the eye, and said, "You either take these steroids or 'You're Fired'". If they take them, they still can't blame him. They are all big kids, with adult minds, who should make their own decisions. It is up to them to weigh out each side; is it more important to make alot of money, have a little fame, and maybe be the top of your profession, or, is it more important to stay healthy, and be there for your family when you are older? I don't personally care which way they go, but they or their families shouldn't think they can blame someone else for their own ineptitude if they get sick or die.

It's obvious, with the amount of deaths, that there is a huge problem, at least there was. It would be stupid of me to hide that many of those men took pills and drugs to look how Vince wanted, or to keep up with the young guys, or to just be able to work all their days. It is easy to look at the situation and think it is the business' fault. To think that it is the fault of the promoters. But it's not. Wrestlers, like everyone else, can find other jobs. If they are put into a situation where their bodies can't take it and their option is drugs, they decide whether or not they want to pop that pill. They can always quit. The only person that can blame Vince for their steroid problem is Vince himself. We spend too much time in this society trying to push an obvious personal choice off of one person only to put it on another. Literally, unless someone slipped them drugs for years or tied them down and shoved it down their throats, this remains the issue of the person who ingested the drugs in the first place.

Every sport should do it's best to regulate. It's peoples lives that can be lost here, it's real shit. So any sport, or business, industry, or company who does anything to help is at least going in the right direction.

The one point I will say WWE has to take a hit on is if they know that a certain person is doing drugs and do nothing. It's obvious this happens, it shouldn't. As a publicly traded stock, they need to hold integrity in certain situations. They should do all they can to help their talent, office workers, and such stay clean.

To me, it seems that just going into the business is the ultimate bad choice, so in a way I have to say yes WWE/promotions are very much to blame. If you're lifelong dream since you were a kid was to become a Superstar, what are you supposed to do when you get there and realize all of the unwritten rules of wrestling, like the things you need to do to get ahead in wrestling, and stay sane in wrestling. Sure you have your Lance Storms and Chris Jericho's(who might be fine, but then again he's not done wrestling yet), but there is an overwhelming number of deaths in the wrestling business. At some point the WWE and promoters as a whole have to take into account what the business does to their talent.

The WWE is on the road 300 days a year, and do however many shows a year. I mean, the NFL plays what 18 games a year, NBA 82, MLB plays 180-something, but thats not exactly the most strenous sport. In wrestling you take a fake but very painful beating how many times a year? Isn't it something like 3 or 4 times a week so about 150 to 200 times a year you are getting your ass kicked. The toll that Wrestling takes on its performers is more similar to Boxing and MMA in my opinion and those guys get to take 3 months off ATLEAST in between fights. Some guys are falling off the top ropes everytime they wrestle just so they don't lose their spot. Others are getting hit with some type of weapon once a month.

Another point is in real sports your talent will decide what you can accomplish. In wrestling it more comes down to mic talent and your look, especially in the WWE. You can say that it is a personal choice whether stars do or don't roid up, but there are obviously many advantages, to doing it. Compare Eddie Guerrero in WcW to the WWE, he definately was not going to get his title run if he still looked like a Cruiserweight, same thing with Benoit. For some stars it basically comes down to, I can either do roids, or stick to my spot at the bottom of the card or out of the WWE.

So yes, while it is ultimately on the stars and how they treat their bodies, I think the choice they really have to make is, can I be a top star in the WWE without putting my body through hell? Or should I just give up the dream?

The WWE, TNA, or any other wrestling promotion is not and should never be responsible for the death of any former or present superstar if they die anywhere out of WWE. WWE can be responsible for the death of Owen Hart because that was a tragic accident, but peoples' deaths such as Umagas, Benoits, and Guerreros should never be the lone or main reason why they died. Benoit and Guerrero took illegal substances that killed them so those are to blame, not the WWE. Umaga had a heart attack which wrestling probably had an effect towards it, but not the sure lone reason why he had it. If anything, I think the wellness policy is saving these human's lives just because now steroids are not allowed, so obviously there is a great decrease in the amount used throughout the business. 20 years ago steroids were most likely passed around like nothing, but since WWE is strict with their drug and wellness policies, the usage of these substances most likely has decreased significantly.

It is mostly the individual who needs to take care in their own health and responsibilities. A wrestling promotion can never be blamed for any death, unless it is an accident present on the show, because not every person who chooses to become a wrestler dies at a young age. Ric Flair, Pat Patterson, Dusty Rhodes, Jerry the King Lawler, Hulk Hogan, and so many more old time wrestlers are still living at a very older age. Sure they have their health problems, but they are still alive. So overall, I think that becoming a wrestler will probably give you some health problems in your future, but it is the individual who chose that career path so it is their responsibility to stay healthy as much as possible and to stay away from incredible amounts of drug abuse that will kill them.

Ok, here's the thing. Being a wrestler is apparently really hard on your body. And these people do it for years on end nonstop almost. Is it any wonder that it's so easy to get addicted to pain medication?

Is it the WWE's fault? No. It's the nature of the sport itself that makes it so some people eventually can't take the pain. I know this is some hard stuff and I don't really like talking about the dark side of wrestling. But some guys need that pain medication to get thru that next match. And that stuff can easily become an addiction because it makes things so easy.

And the roids thing is a whole another issue. In that aspect, they're thinking that the better they look the more time they'll get in the ring, or the more muscles to look stronger than everyone else, there's a variety of reasons. But that stuff's horrible for you as well, as has been shown by long time users of the stuff. Some guys lose their testosterone and all kinds of weird shit occurs.

What I'm saying is what these guys are doing drug wise can cost them dearly. And it's out of their weakness that they end up in these bad situations. I just feel sorry for em, and all you can do is hope they try to lead the best lifestyles they can, while dealing with the intense physical stuff that they do.

I agree with Tyler44. To a degree.

It's sad this had happened, and the "Under 40" list came to mind when I heard the news.

I do say though I hate seeing wrestlers from any company, big or small, treated just as a property that can be replaced at any time.

After all, this is human life we're talking about.

I know many fans and industry people alike despise the idea of a union for thw restlig industry, but maybe a union would help solve some of these problems of issues such as drug abuse, mental instability, and so on.

I'm not saying that's the answer, but maybe it is. I do not know. I really hope an answer or partial solution can be found.

In closing though, I do agree that any employee of any wrestling company, big or small, is the responsibility of that company through good and bad.

It comes down to the personal decisions that the wrestlers themselves make. There is only so much that the federation can do to try to help them stay on the right track. The Wellness Policy is an example of this. Someone violates it, they get punished, and hopefully get back on the right path. It is the choice of the wrestlers themselves to keep making violations to the policy, as well as their own choice to keep making bad mistakes in life after being future endeavored. So, a very small part of the blame might be able to be put on the company, but most of the problem is because of choices that the wrestlers themselves made, and it is because of those issues that I place most of the responsibility on them, not the company. That's just my two cents though.

Well, if you go on the theory that you have to have the build and the look to make it big in the WWE, than in a sense it is their fault. I think Vince understands that in order for his company to survive long term he had to straighten up and get his employees off the juice and implement the Wellness Policy. However there is another theory, for every superstar who says he is going to do it right and not turn to steroids, painkillers, etc. and damn the consequences. There is another guys who have the mindset that this is what is going to get them to the top and he is going to do whatever it takes, damn the consequences. It seems you take a risk either way... career/starpower vs. Healthy Life/Wellness Policy.

I realize I dont know a fraction of what the real lives are of wrestlers and promotors, but all the evidence in the big leagues suggest that this is how it works. Every WWE, WCW and world champion from Hulk Hogan to today has either been a huge guy, has admitted or proven to do drugs or steroids, has failed the wellness policy, or has died at a young age with steroids or drugs being a contributing factor. Going down the list on wwe.com and doing my research on a the names I thought were always clean (Chris Jericho and The Rock), I found there are only 3 people that do not fit into these categories, CM Punk, Bob Backlund and Jeff Jarrett. 3 people in 25 years. Insane. Also I have only focused on that aspect of the business, nevermind the crazy workload which breeds an atmosphere of painkiller abuse and recreational drug use, drinking, depression.

On the other hand ultimately every decision is made by the wrestlers themselves and it is the career they have chosen, but it really does seem the WWE continues to influence a very destructive lifestyle to be successful. Until this changes the names of wrestlers dying young will continue, its only a matter of time until we hear of the next one.

no no way in hell can you say wwe is a fault esp in the case of benot he had mental problems wwe knew nothing about so his fault sorry but it is

eddie his problems started before he was in wwe he had his demons when he got to wwe and worked himself too hard

when wrestlers put drugs in there bodys it there fault the put it in thre bodys not wwe wcw tna

it the same with people that eat too much and become overweight you can not blame anyone but them

Vince or the WWE are not to be blamed for the deaths of anybody. It is the lifestyle choices a person makes from the job to keep him in work shape. Why does everybody blame Vince when its the person who needs to have a strong will against stuff. All I basically hear is that for are personal demons we should all blame Vince McMahon. I dont think we should blame anybody for then and try to overcome them.

"True Story :I was a borderline alcoholic but I overcame on my own and I have been tempted to take a drink but My willpower fights the urge and I always tell myself I don't need and don't give in."

Vince and the WWE have finally started lookin out for the family business and decided to the whole Wellness policy to start helping out the junkies and boozers by having it and if they don't want to abide by Company Rules and Regulations by accepting help from them and they SAY NO they should be let go and the WWE, MLB, NBA, or any other company should not be accountable for them as they offered to help them but the refused it. Vince has let a alot people go on a vacation to rest in the past couple of years so they can come back healthier than ever from J-Broni's 2 mid Carders 2 Main Eventers.

"So in conclusion a company who offers medical help to a employee but the employee refuses the medical help should be fired and after he cleans up his act should get a 2nd chance."

No, without a doubt you cannot blame the WWE for the untimely and tragic deaths of these and other wrestlers. The facts are that yes, they are independent contractors and thus they have the right at any time to say they no longer want to work and be freed from their duties. Also, the wrestlers themselves are responsible for their own lives, the well being of said lives and if they are taking drugs (i.e. Benoit). Umaga's death is a horrible reminder of how things can just come to an end, but to blame the WWE (for those who do, that is), does nothing but look for a scapegoat.

WWE, TNA or any other Wrestling company regardless of how big or small they are is responsible for the deaths of Wrestlers. When a musician dies by either ill health, alcohol or substance abuse is it the record labels fault? No. I mean, yes they aren't putting their bodies on the line each time they set foot onstage, yes some might do by stage-diving or going into the crowd surrounded by thousands of fans, you never know what might happen, but still if they choose to binge drink or take drugs then its their responsibility. People who drink, who smoke and who take drugs, I myself while may not drink heavily am still a drinker, make that choice on their own. Wrestlers make the same exact choices, in WWE they employed a Wellness Policy, and they even offer rehab to former wrestlers. There was reports of WWE wanting Eddie 'Umaga' Fatu to lose weight, and some other names have been spoken of about weight issues aswell. Its not just about them looking good for the cameras because wrestlers, much like people who don't wrestle, need to stay in shape and eat right aswell for good health. It's one of the most tragic things to hear when someone dies, but blaming WWE isn't the answer when they've blatantly tried to help others out.

It makes absolutely no sense to even attempt to place any blame on the WWE for deaths like Umaga's. The WWE was aware he had a problem and they took action, they offered him a way to get help and deal with his abuse problem. They tried to help him, and in turn save his life.. but he refused the hand they offered. He walked away and didn't want to do the right thing for himself and his family. So the only one to blame, sadly, is Umaga himself for making bad choices.

You cannot blame WWE for making wrestlers take steroids and the like. I'm sure there is pressure and whatnot, but it's ultimately the wrestlers decision. However, something that hasn't been discussed is these wrestlers that do decide to take them. There's a difference between "using" steroids and "abusing" steroids. There is specific ways to take steroids and other supplements without the lingering affects, however if taken without said supplements the anabolic steroids work much faster, which is what people that take steroids crave. Taking them alone is what drops your testosterone production among other things. While I don't recommend either, there is a way to take steroids and stay healthy. Danny Bonaduce from CCW fame is an advocate of this "alterior" way of taking steroids and staying healthy.

I've kind of been sitting back and waiting here. There is always someone who wants to say that it is all Vince's fault. The common argument is that Vince is the one who puts them on the road so much, he's the one who likes his superstars to look huge, muscular, ect. He doesn't provide time off or an off-season, blah, blah, blah.

Sadly, there is no excuse for grown men and women who take steroids, pain killers, and the like, other than their own inability to make good life decisions. I don't care if Vince himself literally walked up to them, looked them in the eye, and said, "You either take these steroids or 'You're Fired'". If they take them, they still can't blame him. They are all big kids, with adult minds, who should make their own decisions. It is up to them to weigh out each side; is it more important to make alot of money, have a little fame, and maybe be the top of your profession, or, is it more important to stay healthy, and be there for your family when you are older? I don't personally care which way they go, but they or their families shouldn't think they can blame someone else for their own ineptitude if they get sick or die.

It's obvious, with the amount of deaths, that there is a huge problem, at least there was. It would be stupid of me to hide that many of those men took pills and drugs to look how Vince wanted, or to keep up with the young guys, or to just be able to work all their days. It is easy to look at the situation and think it is the business' fault. To think that it is the fault of the promoters. But it's not. Wrestlers, like everyone else, can find other jobs. If they are put into a situation where their bodies can't take it and their option is drugs, they decide whether or not they want to pop that pill. They can always quit. The only person that can blame Vince for their steroid problem is Vince himself. We spend too much time in this society trying to push an obvious personal choice off of one person only to put it on another. Literally, unless someone slipped them drugs for years or tied them down and shoved it down their throats, this remains the issue of the person who ingested the drugs in the first place.

Every sport should do it's best to regulate. It's peoples lives that can be lost here, it's real shit. So any sport, or business, industry, or company who does anything to help is at least going in the right direction.

The one point I will say WWE has to take a hit on is if they know that a certain person is doing drugs and do nothing. It's obvious this happens, it shouldn't. As a publicly traded stock, they need to hold integrity in certain situations. They should do all they can to help their talent, office workers, and such stay clean.

This = win.

WWE have their wellness policy in place and it's been effectual in the past to regulate the substance usage of many superstars in the past. Just ask Jeff Hardy, Brian Kendrick and Randy Orton.

The system's there and offers a minor buffer to the inevitable tragedies that come from abuse. But the buck stops with the wrestler; if they're not willing to take care of themselves, no one can do it for them

I think it is the employee's responsibility and to a degree the in this scenario to a degree the company's as well.

See, I'm with you right here, to a point. Once they're gone from the company, well, they signed a contractor contract, so the WWE has no legal responsibility. I don't think there is a moral responsibility either. These guys make millions, and for whatever reason, refuse to take care of their money or themselves.

In wrestling, generally, bigger is better. In my opinion, unless you are 6'6" and around 300lbs, you don't stand a chance at main event status.

And, here's where you lose me. This is the most generic, bullshit, IWC response to anything I have ever seen. Are you fucking serious? Do you watch wrestling, like, ever? HBK, Bret Hart, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Jericho, Eddy, Benoit, Rey Mysterio....do I need to fucking continue? This is fucking stupid.
With the pressure that the assumed sized requirement, the onus has to be on the company to for the steroid use.

And yet, the guys who fit the ******ed size requirement you made up - AREN'T THE ONE FAILING DRUG TESTS. It's the stupid little spot monkeys who keep getting suspended. Cena, Batista, Taker, Kane, HHH - They don't fail drug tests. Steroids are used for more than getting bigger. They're used for muscle recovery. You know nothing about wrestling or steroids, yet you're posting in a thread about them. Unbelievable. There's a reason I stay out threads about French movies. It's because I don't want to be like you.

And, here's where you lose me. This is the most generic, bullshit, IWC response to anything I have ever seen. Are you fucking serious? Do you watch wrestling, like, ever? HBK, Bret Hart, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Jericho, Eddy, Benoit, Rey Mysterio....do I need to fucking continue? This is fucking stupid.

While it's true that extraordinary talent will shine through regardless of size in the case of the individuals you just mentioned, you cannot even pretend for a second that the WWE isn't and hasn't always been focused around tall, incredibly ripped heavyweights. Take a look at John Cena and Batista, two of the biggest faces in the company (former face in Batista's case now). Those guys are fucking GARGANTUAN. The muscled, chiseled physique has always been the prototypical look that not only the WWE, but every other wrestling promotion looks for. In an industry as superficial as pro wrestling, bigger is always better dude. That's why talentless hacks like Khali are employed---because of their size.

Those guys you mentioned right there in fact mostly prove my case. Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit absolutely destroyed their bodies with drugs TRYING to look like the huge muscled chiseled freaks, because that's what sells man. You look at Benoit and Guerrero in 1993, and then compare to their bodies in 2003, you'll see what I'm talking about. In a way I think that's what this entire thread is about man, it's about the WWE always wanting their wrestlers to be in peak physical condition (they do after all fire women for gaining weight) and those demands forcing people like your Guerreros and Benoits to take those steroids and that HGH to look bigger, and better. It's what led to the deaths of both of those individuals undoubtedly.

I don't think we can blame this solely on the WWE though, as every other major wrestling promotion (with the exception of TNA and the original ECW perhaps) has always had the "bigger is better" philosophy that led to such rampant and excess drug use of all kinds in the wrestling industry for decades.

And yet, the guys who fit the ******ed size requirement you made up - AREN'T THE ONE FAILING DRUG TESTS. It's the stupid little spot monkeys who keep getting suspended. Cena, Batista, Taker, Kane, HHH - They don't fail drug tests. Steroids are used for more than getting bigger. They're used for muscle recovery. You know nothing about wrestling or steroids, yet you're posting in a thread about them. Unbelievable. There's a reason I stay out threads about French movies. It's because I don't want to be like you.

Come on now man, you seriously think that if John Cena failed a drug test, the WWE would suspend him and announce it publicly? What have you been smoking man, and when can I try some?

first off, why is everyone assuming his death has to do with steroids? From my understanding Umaga was heavily addicted to painkillers. I seriously doubt this is a roid related death. on a side note, there is no clear cut evidence steroids kills. What usually kills is the combination of roids mixed with other drugs.

secondly, i am no expert but he died in his sleep , with his nose bleeding..that could be cocaine intoxiation. We should wait to see the autopsy to determine who should be to blame for this death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back