Does Vince Have Too Much Control Over Our Minds?

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Ok... Perhaps the opening of this thread is a tad dramatic, but what the Hell, we're all talking from a wrestling perspective, aren't we?

Part of this may seem like a bit of a bitch-fest, and if you feel that way, you're entitled to your opinion. I'll make one thing clear right here and now: I, personally, consider myself a fan of WWE, WWF, WWWF, and all other permutations of the wrestling promotion we now refer to as "The WWE". I do, in fact, acknowledge that, aside from the NWA, the WWE is the most historically relevant wrestling promotion in America. Now then, I feel that's very important to conclude, as I wouldn't dare say Vince's WWE was any more important than All Japan, or perhaps even for that matter, Stampede Wrestling. However, I do accept that the WWE is, indeed, a historically relevant promotion, and that it is, currently, the most important wrestling promotion in the world. That much, I can grant any fan of the WWE's programming. This isn't so much an attack on the WWE, so much as it is on Vince McMahon. I suppose that I should acknowledge that I'm personally not a huge fan of Vince McMahon himself. While I credit him for how far he has taken professional wrestling, there's still something about him that specifically irks me, and this is it.

To be frank, this topic is going to deal with the simple fact that any wrestling fan accepts: Unless you're Vince McMahon's creation, you mean absolutely nothing to the professional wrestling business, in Vince's eyes. Now, the argument here is simple: I understand exactly why Vince McMahon does such a thing; because he's a greedy, ungrateful bastard for those that paved the way for those before him. I'd be naive to argue that I don't understand why does Vince does it. Rather, the argument to be made here is that it's completely wrong of the man to do.

Let me explain where these feelings of resentment first began to arise. A little while back, these here WZ Forums decided to hold a Wrestlezone Olympics, in which wrestlers represented their respective countries, all in the attempt to decide country supremacy. Now, as has been told to us many times, these follow kayfabe rules, so I'm good for that. Anyway, as the nominations for team members began to arise, I made the decision I was going to nominate one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, John Tenta, onto Team Canada. Though I decided to do this, even I admitted it was probably a lost cause to even think to nominate the guy, mainly because of the many good wrestlers that can be found on Team Canada. Surely enough, the best wrestlers were selected, and there's little I could possibly argue in terms of Earthquake's snub. The guy was a good wrestler, but he was dealing in a situation way over his head, with wrestlers that will probably be very close to the top on the list of all time greats. Again, no true qualms to such a decision by wrestling fans.

Let's fast forward, if we may, to the selection of Team Japan. Now, if any team is going to match Team Canada for pure talent, it has to be Team Japan. Given the list of nominations, I'd be very hard pressed to say this wasn't the most talented list of wrestlers to represent Japan. When you have names such as Tiger Mask, Kensuke Sasaki, and Hase struggling to get into the double digits, you're dealing with an absolutely stacked roster. Sadly, even the late Giant Baba, a fine wrestler in his own right, one of the most influential men in wrestling, and the founder of All Japan, was struggling to find many votes.

Then, there was Yokozuna. I honestly find it very hard to say, by anyone's standards, that Yokozuna is even the fraction of the worker that any of these men are. I've said it before, but it is my true belief that this man was easily the worst champion in the history of the modern era of professional wrestling. Still, this man managed to squeeze himself onto the roster, much to the chagrin of legends such as Muta and Baba. And I couldn't help but think to myself, what could Yokozuna have that none of these men did? Couldn't be promo skills, the guy never cut a promo in his career. I'd laugh at the first poster to tell me had more ability than The Great Muta. So, again, what did this man have that none of the other candidates had?

In two words, name placement. The sad fact is, Yoko worked under Vince McMahon's company, and as stated earlier, Vince completely buries all talent that wasn't his creation. Even those that aren't even competing with Vince McMahon, such as promotions of the past, get this sort of treatment, mainly because Vince wants credit for all of the events that shaped professional wrestling. And I can hear the arguments coming from those that state "Vince doesn't have Japan's Library Tape". That would be a perfectly fine argument if;

1. All of these Japanese wrestlers had stayed confined to Japan. Baba has spent extended amounts of times in America, and is a former NWA Champion. I know specifically Antonio Inoki has a pinfall victory over Bob Backlund. However, this defeat is absolutely forgotten in history. Muta has plenty of matches in America. Vince has plenty of footage in his vault of these wrestlers, so I don't buy the excuse that he has none of their footage.

2. Vince still has a tendency to do this with American companies that are no longer competing with Vince. Names like Lout Thesz, Dory Funk Jr., and even to some extent Harley Race, are completely abandoned by Vince McMahon, in favor of his own creations. Harley Race should easily be in the discussion as one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time. Still, because he's not Vince's creation, he takes a back seat to such men as Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Watch, pretty soon John Cena will surpass Harley in those discussions, if he hasn't already. So will Randy Orton. The point being, unless you were Vince's creation, you have no chance of your legacy being nearly as justified as possible.

And I, for one, am sick of it. If you choose not to acknowledge your present competition, Vince, I'm all for you. I don't see any reason why you have to accept AJ Styles as a formidible champion, and as an outstanding wrestler. I can even understand not accepting present champions in other countries as a justified practice, as Vince seems Hell Bent on making his promotion the dominant promotion of the entire world (good luck when you try to overtake Japan, Vince. John Cena's going to go over ther as well as a fart in church.) But what purpose does it serve to bury the names of the past, and refuse to give them the recognition they're due? Antonio Inoki is no longer battling you, Vince, nor was he ever particularly battling Vince, anyway... Would it kill you to acknowledge his presence, if not for the fact that he's one of the greatest wrestlers of all time.

Again, perfect example of such a thing: In Mick Foley's Hardcore Diaries, Mick details the angle of him and Edge facing Terry Funk and Tommy Dreamer. For months, Mick pushed, almost pleaded Vince, to build Terry up as the legend he should be built up as. Foley implored for Vince to acknowledge Terry's work, and the entire run of his career. Sure, Mick wanted Vince to also include how hardcore Terry is, but that rarely even begins to scratch the greatness of what Terry Funk is. Terry Funk is fantastic for plenty of reasons, but his hardcore matches aren't even an iota of the talent the man had in his heyday. Still, because Vince refuses to accept Terry as anything he didn't create him to be, we wound up getting an image of Terry Funk as merely the psychotic old man that doesn't know when to hang it up. Now, that will forever be Funk's lasting legacy. No one will remember Funk for his classics with The Sheik, or Harley Race. People won't even know of his fantastic work with Ric Flair. His "I Quit" match with Ric Flair alone should stand as a testament to him being perhaps one of the greatest wrestler's of all time. Instead, however, Vince wanted to give us the image of the Funker he built; a raving lunatic that doesn't know when to retire. Again, Funk's legacy is short changed. All so Vince's placement of dictator as the sport can rest comfortably.

Look, it shouldn't be hard to see where I stand in this argument... Vince is a bitter, petty man, who has absolutely no respect for his audience, or those that came before him. He's an arrogant prick, and for every bit the shrewd businessman he is, he's every bit the egomaniac that his character on Television is. The question, however, is simple; does Vince owe it to the fans, and to the history of wrestling, the recognize the past works of all these workers that have come before him?

The same can be said about other promotions such as ECW. Vince took ECW along with the wrestlers from WCW and made them into nothing but scapegoats for the mighty WWE to run over. Paul Heyman and RVD even pleaded with Vince to have an original ECW in WWE which was declined. Instead all they got was a watered down joke of a television show. Vince pretty much raped the heart and soul of the product after that. Who could forget the great Zombie and Macho Libre?

Vince actually wanted Heyman to go out to the ring and fire all the ECW Originals while insulting them in the process. I admit that not all of ECW talent were five star wrestlers, but they didn't deserve to be treated that way. Vince will hire anyone to get back at them. Look at Heyman and Biscoff. I don't know what Jim Ross did to piss Vince off, but we have had many occasions where Vince has humiliated Ross. Vince had JR kiss his ass on live television in his hometown, and he made fun of Jim Ross' colon when he was recovering from colon cancer.

I know it was the attitude era, but you have to draw the line somewhere. This man actually wanted to go through with an incest angle on his daughter for Christ sake. I guarantee you if Hogan and Flair were to ever return to WWE for a last time, they would be treated like garbage. Terry Funk along with Dory being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year, was the only decent thing Vince has done for them. Plus, their speech was only 5 minutes long so they could make way for WWE megastar Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I loved Jesse tonight on Raw because he said what we all were thinking when he stated that Vince only likes cookie cutter champions like Cena. It wasn't far from the truth. Bottom line is Vince may be a great businessman, but he is shit as a human being.

Um... as true as you opinions of Vince may be, it's the sheeple type fans of WWE --and only WWE-- that are more to blame with Yoko getting the nod over other more deserving men in the WZ Olympics. It's not like Vince was rigging the ballots. People will vote based on what they know. Uniformed people make uniformed decisions. Blame them not Vince. Also from a business and brand marketing point of view I fully understand why he makes it a company policy to disregard anything and everything that is non-WWE. I'm not saying I agree as I myself am a relatively big Japanese Juniors mark, and I try to watch the sport on a more global scale, but fact is at the end of the day it's his prerogative to run his company as he sees fit. History is written by the victors as they say and Vince for lack of a better word has more or less "won", at least for now and at least in America.
I would concede that it would be nice for WWE, as the sole American Superpower of wrestling, to act as responsible custodian of the sport's vaunted history but frankly it's not like non-WWE wrestling is so hard to come by if you're actually making an honest effort to seek it out. The internet is a wonderful thing. I would go so far as to say it's probably the easiest it has ever been for a modern non-WWE fan to satiate their hunger for the sport. I fully see what you're saying but no, I don't believe Vince McMahon has too much control over "our" i.e. wrestling fan's collective minds. Though even if he did have such control it's not good business sense to expose his customers to products he can't profit on so it would be understandable for him to do what he does.

Um... as true as you opinions of Vince may be, it's the sheeple type fans of WWE --and only WWE-- that are more to blame with Yoko getting the nod over other more deserving men in the WZ Olympics. It's not like Vince was rigging the ballots. People will vote based on what they know. Uniformed people make uniformed decisions. Blame them not Vince. Also from a business and brand marketing point of view I fully understand why he makes it a company policy to disregard anything and everything that is non-WWE. I'm not saying I agree as I myself am a relatively big Japanese Juniors mark, and I try to watch the sport on a more global scale, but fact is at the end of the day it's his prerogative to run his company as he sees fit. History is written by the victors as they say and Vince for lack of a better word has more or less "won", at least for now and at least in America.
I would concede that it would be nice for WWE, as the sole American Superpower of wrestling, to act as responsible custodian of the sport's vaunted history but frankly it's not like non-WWE wrestling is so hard to come by if you're actually making an honest effort to seek it out. The internet is a wonderful thing. I would go so far as to say it's probably the easiest it has ever been for a modern non-WWE fan to satiate their hunger for the sport. I fully see what you're saying but no, I don't believe Vince McMahon has too much control over "our" i.e. wrestling fan's collective minds. Though even if he did have such control it's not good business sense to expose his customers to products he can't profit on so it would be understandable for him to do what he does.

Again, I'd see nor problem with such a thing, but the WWE is rarely in direct competition with Japan. The WWE, though it is expanding it's borders, don't have much of a vested interest in the Japanese audience. As alluded to before, puro marks are going to be looking a different set of wrestling compared to the WWE's storyline based entertainment. Noting that WWE and Japan's wrestling programs are worlds apart, what harm does it particularly do the WWE to at least acknowledge it's presence.

As for the sheep argument made earlier... I agree, and I disagree. While the internet does wonder, it wouldn't help nearly as much as the WWE promoting some NWA matches on their On Demand Program. If you look at the WWE's library this month, I can assure you only one to two programs actually come from the NWA, and most will probably the WWE's programming. Again, if you have the tools at your disposal, why not use them? And in that same ticket, the WWE also owns the right, in particular, to shut down anything from the NWA, USWA, and Mid-South. I know, I've seen the copyrights bring them down.

Again, the fans deserve some responsibility, but Vince has to take his fair share of blame, as well.

Again, I'd see nor problem with such a thing, but the WWE is rarely in direct competition with Japan. The WWE, though it is expanding it's borders, don't have much of a vested interest in the Japanese audience. As alluded to before, puro marks are going to be looking a different set of wrestling compared to the WWE's storyline based entertainment. Noting that WWE and Japan's wrestling programs are worlds apart, what harm does it particularly do the WWE to at least acknowledge it's presence.
Harm? Probably not much as you yourself have said. Flip side of the coin is I doubt they would do much either way so from their POV why bother. To put it another way Coke doesn't have much need/want to acknowledge the soft drinks of Japan to their American customers. Why spend your money or your time advertising someone else's product when you can use it to advertise your own.

As for the sheep argument made earlier... I agree, and I disagree. While the internet does wonder, it wouldn't help nearly as much as the WWE promoting some NWA matches on their On Demand Program. If you look at the WWE's library this month, I can assure you only one to two programs actually come from the NWA, and most will probably the WWE's programming. Again, if you have the tools at your disposal, why not use them? And in that same ticket, the WWE also owns the right, in particular, to shut down anything from the NWA, USWA, and Mid-South. I know, I've seen the copyrights bring them down.

Again, the fans deserve some responsibility, but Vince has to take his fair share of blame, as well.
In my opinion and similar to the above it's simply an issue of RoI. Dollars to Doughnuts they probably don't feel it's all that cost effective and/or profitable. Yes they're the gatekeeper of history so to speak but they're still a for profit company first and foremost. 1. Educating the fans that there is other stuff beyond the one off DVD is probably not worth their time in thier eyes. 2. Much like the "real/non-scripted sport leagues of the NFL/AFL, NBA/ABA, WBA,/WBC/WBO etc. you risk a sense of legitimate dominance by flooding the landscape with more history and legacy especially when it's not your own. From a business perspective you want YOUR world champion to be the ONLY valid and legitimate world champion in the fans' eyes.
Point is they'll do it when they can make a buck off it with a DVD retrospective, but otherwise it probably doesn't fit their bottom line to do it regularly. A dollar not earned is essentially a dollar lost to them so I would imagine it makes more sense for them to spend practically every last cent on getting the WWE brand out there and ahead of/instead of everyone else be it past, present, or future.

Harm? Probably not much as you yourself have said. Flip side of the coin is I doubt they would do much either way so from their POV why bother. To put it another way Coke doesn't have much need/want to acknowledge the soft drinks of Japan to their American customers. Why spend your money or your time advertising someone else's product when you can use it to advertise your own.

In my opinion and similar to the above it's simply an issue of RoI. Dollars to Doughnuts they probably don't feel it's all that cost effective and/or profitable. Yes they're the gatekeeper of history so to speak but they're still a for profit company first and foremost. 1. Educating the fans that there is other stuff beyond the one off DVD is probably not worth their time in thier eyes. 2. Much like the "real/non-scripted sport leagues of the NFL/AFL, NBA/ABA, WBA,/WBC/WBO etc. you risk a sense of legitimate dominance by flooding the landscape with more history and legacy especially when it's not your own. From a business perspective you want YOUR world champion to be the ONLY valid and legitimate world champion in the fans' eyes.
Point is they'll do it when they can make a buck off it with a DVD retrospective, but otherwise it probably doesn't fit their bottom line to do it regularly. A dollar not earned is essentially a dollar lost to them so I would imagine it makes more sense for them to spend practically every last cent on getting the WWE brand out there and ahead of/instead of everyone else be it past, present, or future.

All of this is pretty valid and logical arguing, and I see exactly where you're going with this. I suppose, in my optimism, I still treat wrestling as a sport, and thus, I don't know if I agree with the analogy given of Coca Cola. I'd more liken the WWE to something like the National Football League (Something which is in a similar positions the WWE, as they hold a general monopoly over Football in America). While the NFL still is in a money making business, they don't ignore the past contributions of the league's past. As a matter of fact, the NFL, this year, is celebrating the AFL's 50th anniversary. Much of the reasoning for this is that the NFL realizes that it wouldn't be much of the juggernaut without it's merger of the NFL and AFL. It took the NFL acknowledging the AFL as it's equal, at that point, to garner the support of AFL teams into this newly formed NFL.

I can promise you, if the WWE were to acknowledge programming by the NWA as it's equal at the time (and let's be fair, it was, for a good portion of time. Just read Lariat's thread on Black Saturday for further proof) that fans in the Mid South and the South would be more prone to embracing the WWE, and more prone to watching through the WWE's programming, though it's not what their raised on. Why? Because Vince acknowledges their respective contributions, and allows for the NWA to remind itself of it's legacy.

Still, again, Vince can't allow that. Because he's a selfish prick who'd rather run the whole business in the ground if it can benefit him for his lifetime.

All of this is pretty valid and logical arguing, and I see exactly where you're going with this. I suppose, in my optimism, I still treat wrestling as a sport, and thus, I don't know if I agree with the analogy given of Coca Cola. I'd more liken the WWE to something like the National Football League (Something which is in a similar positions the WWE, as they hold a general monopoly over Football in America). While the NFL still is in a money making business, they don't ignore the past contributions of the league's past. As a matter of fact, the NFL, this year, is celebrating the AFL's 50th anniversary. Much of the reasoning for this is that the NFL realizes that it wouldn't be much of the juggernaut without it's merger of the NFL and AFL. It took the NFL acknowledging the AFL as it's equal, at that point, to garner the support of AFL teams into this newly formed NFL.
Pro Wrestling is phony and as the owner of WWE I wouldn't treat it as a sport but more or a product. As such acknowledging the competition wouldn't be high on my list of priorities. That said I can see where it's smart to do so a la One Night Stand etc. especially if it fuels the creation of a new/revived brand. Outside of a renewed market it hardly seems worth it. Much like your anniversary position above I'm sure when there's money to be made in acknowledging the histories of promotions past Vince will be glad to do it.

I can promise you, if the WWE were to acknowledge programming by the NWA as it's equal at the time (and let's be fair, it was, for a good portion of time. Just read Lariat's thread on Black Saturday for further proof) that fans in the Mid South and the South would be more prone to embracing the WWE, and more prone to watching through the WWE's programming, though it's not what their raised on. Why? Because Vince acknowledges their respective contributions, and allows for the NWA to remind itself of it's legacy.
As one who lives in KY from where I see it the South still enjoys the WWE well enough. Beyond selling old NWA merch I don't see how reminiscing about an old product to it's fans would stoke interest in a modern product that bares little resemblance. Hell one could argue that it may even expose the contrasts so deeply as to lose current market footing due to a longing for an older and now extinct product which is exactly what WWE wouldn't want.

Still, again, Vince can't allow that. Because he's a selfish prick who'd rather run the whole business in the ground if it can benefit him for his lifetime.
You say selfish prick I say business man who will hype ANY company's history as long as he can be sure he'll make a profit. Tomatoes/To-ma-toes

The thing is Ligerbomb, I'm sure Vince himself will tell you he's a selfish prick. I would bet everything I own the guy would have zero problem admitting that. Sure, he'll throw "good businessman" in there as well, but the guy knows he's done some fucked up shit to become such a thing. He knows he's ruined countless lives and businesses to become successful. Was it good business for himself? Sure, but it also makes him a selfish prick, as Tenta put it. You CAN be both, and there's no doubt in my mind Vince would have zero problem admitting that he is both. In fact, I bet he's proud of it, lol. That just seems like the type of guy he is.

That said, I honestly don't hate Vince McMahon for what he's done and most certainly for what he's accomplished. He pisses me off today with the nonsense he puts on TV, and I hate the fact that he did what he did in the eighties to become as successful he and his company did, but at the same time... his company has provided me with loads of entertainment throughout my lifetime, and I can't help but be thankful for that. Vince is an asshole in my mind, but he's still an asshole I sort of like and I definitely respect.

Damn, u guys are into wrestling way more then I am. U are probably going to look at me like my view is invalid cuz I know nothing of any wrestling outside of the wwe. Its not because vince has control over my mind, its cuz I watch wrestling for entertainment and its there on mondays for me to watch. I would have to go out of my way and spend money to watch japan wrestling and there's no reason for me to do that. Its the same reason as it is in america why we don't watch soccer much but we prefer football, baseball and basketball. If I want to watch sports I put on espn and up until this year its been basketball, baseball, and football on that channel. Euro soccer is finaly getting air time on espn and I enjoy it cuz its there and its the best soccer u will find. Now japan wrestling may be the best u can find but its not put in front of me to see. I'm not gona go pay money to watch it the same way I haven't watched soccer until it was put in front of my face on espn. Vince owns wrestling in america cuz there isn't another brand that is on usa or any basic cable station that has the entertainment that wwe provides. Some may argue TNA but I'm not into it at all. I don't like the ring shape and I feel u go there when u fail to entertain the wwe fan base.(I wish vicky guerero would go there!) I don't even enjoy wwe remotely as much as I did back in the 90s and maybe the early 00s but I still watch raw cuz its entertaining a little and I still have hopes of a young star who maybe can be as great as wrestlers of past on the mic and in the ring. Maybe that's what ur talking about vince being in our heads but there have been so many great memories that I have watching the wwe and vince has played a major part in that. he may be a douche bag of a person but he still puts out the most entertaining brand of wrestling that is on my TV weekly. I'm kinda all over the place so I'm just gona end my post with that.

I see where you’re coming from, Liger, and I think I would even agree with that notion (I saw your post before it was deleted).

And I never even addressed the original topic in my first post. I apologize for that, Tenta. But here are my thoughts on it.

Do I wish Vince would show more respect to the legends of the sport? Yes. However, whenever I come across fans on the internet who don’t know about the legends and historic promotions in the history of the business, I do not blame Vince McMahon. To me, it’s just unbelievable for someone to be a true wrestling fan, have an internet connection, and not seek out old matches, promos, etc. When I was a kid, the first place I went to in the video store to rent movies was the section where they held the wrestling videos. If I was ever at a place that sold wrestling tapes, I would beg my mom to let me buy one or two. It didn’t matter what promotion it was, if it was professional wrestling, I wanted to watch it.

Seriously, man, it’s up for the fans to educate themselves. If I was able to do it as a 9-year-old who grew up poor as fuck, these middle class kids today with the internet and all that stuff sure can seek out the history of the business themselves, without the help of WWE telling them do so on Monday nights. There’s no excuse not to if you’re really a fan. I can understand it’s frustrating to hear old farts and elitist smarks trash a company you enjoy and love (WWE), while praise shit you never heard of, but you should still give the shit that’s praised a shot to get over with you. And if a fan decides not to, then that’s his/her fault for remaining ignorant, not Vince McMahon’s.

I see where you’re coming from, Liger, and I think I would even agree with that notion (I saw your post before it was deleted).
Yea that's basically what I was getting at... (also I guess my reply was too short? I never got an infraction so i dunno.)

And I never even addressed the original topic in my first post. I apologize for that, Tenta. But here are my thoughts on it.

Do I wish Vince would show more respect to the legends of the sport? Yes. However, whenever I come across fans on the internet who don’t know about the legends and historic promotions in the history of the business, I do not blame Vince McMahon. To me, it’s just unbelievable for someone to be a true wrestling fan, have an internet connection, and not seek out old matches, promos, etc. When I was a kid, the first place I went to in the video store to rent movies was the section where they held the wrestling videos. If I was ever at a place that sold wrestling tapes, I would beg my mom to let me buy one or two. It didn’t matter what promotion it was, if it was professional wrestling, I wanted to watch it.
echo. I remember quite vividly watching any tape and every wrestling and early mma tape they had at blockbuster in the late eighties early nineties, then as wrestling magazines gave way to the internet I began using the "world wide web" to hunt down good tape trading circles or outright bought dubbed matches. I still vividly remember going to a comic book convention and buying the entire dragon ball z saga and all the J/Super J Cups then sitiing at home over the summer and watching hours of anime and Juniors puro. If I can do that in the mid 90's people can do much much better a decade+ later.

Seriously, man, it’s up for the fans to educate themselves. If I was able to do it as a 9-year-old who grew up poor as fuck, these middle class kids today with the internet and all that stuff sure can seek out the history of the business themselves, without the help of WWE telling them do so on Monday nights. There’s no excuse not to if you’re really a fan. I can understand it’s frustrating to hear old farts and elitist smarks trash a company you enjoy and love (WWE), while praise shit you never heard of, but you should still give the shit that’s praised a shot to get over with you. And if a fan decides not to, then that’s his/her fault for remaining ignorant, not Vince McMahon’s.
My point was that Vince probably doesn't see it as good business. If/when he does Vince is more than happy to promote the hell out of other promotions. Case in point would be the upcoming DVD collection following the legacy of the World Heavyweight Championship which is by and large the NWA/WCW title.
But the real secret to this is the fact that Vince has to see it. If he can't see it as being the truth no amount of convincing (no pun intended) or arguing will change his mind. As Heyman and Van Dam have both said --with regards to old ECW-- Vince doesn't see the realities of the situation with regards to outside promotions and their fans. It's not that he's blind to it but rather in his mind's eye it's not even there. In that way Vince is less mean spirited prick and more semi-delusional businessman doing what he think is good business based on his personal version of "reality".

id just like to remind everone that if it werent for vince mcmahon wrestling will not be no where near as good as it is today and the only way wrestling is gonna die is when he does

the thing is Vince McMahon has made the WWE into the most recognised promotion in the world, when most people hear 'wrestling' they subconciously think WWE, Vince wants it to stay that way meaning he will play down wrestlers achievements that weren't in WWE,

Hmm.... It seems as though people think I'm trying to completely discredit Vince McMahon. Again, I'll refer you back to the OP.... I, personally, feel as though Vince has done plenty for the business. I wouldn't discredit him for taking the sport to the level it is, that'd be insane on my part. Vince has made it a part of culture, and I can't take that away from him.

No, that's not the problem. The problem is, Vince refuses to acknowledge those that came before him. Even if you think about it, guys that worked for his company usually get the short end of the stick. Guys like Backlund, The Original Sheik, and Bobo Brazil tend to get this treatment. Hell, dare I say it, but even Andre The Giant receives this sort of treatment from Vince. Andre could easily be accepted as the most famous wrestler in the entire world. Still, here in America, he takes a back seat to Hogan, Austin, Rocky, even Piper, to some extent. Andre is just as big an icon as anyone, yet he often gets overlooked (ironic, eh?) Why? Because he wasn't Vince's creation, and though he was fundamental to the WWE's success, Vince still tends to overlook him.

My simple question, again, is why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back