Does TNA Need to Add Something to their B-PPV's?

Cereal Killer

Boy Better Know
B-PPV's being Genesis, Against All Odds, Sacrifice, Turning Point and Final Resolution.

Why am I asking this? Because these usually seem to be the times TNA show their "un-creativity".

Look at it this way, Victory Road has TNA's UK tour and the Lockdown build up supporting it, Lockdown is just awesome as a whole because of the great matches the talent put on and one of the "big 3", Slammiversary is the anniversary for TNA where they tend to throw on more of a "special" night and from the point after that till Bound For Glory, you have the Bound For Glory Series and TNA's biggest event coming up.

But what about the other PPV's? Feast or Fired has gone, the Sacrifice match has vanished, Turning point is basically a BFG 2.0 and the other PPV's have nothing unique about them. I'm not saying they need a themed PPV every month like the WWE but something should be done about this. It loses viewers and interest with the majority.

Do you agree with me? Do you think something could be done or does TNA just need to improve their creative story telling?

To be honest I don't think anything can be done to increase the amount of PPV buys for any of the lesser PPV that Impact Wrestling puts out. They should just get rid of most of their PPVs. There just isn't enough demand for 12 wrestling PPVs per year from either company anymore. Impact Wrestling should only offer 4 PPV cards per year. Slammiversary, Destination X, Lockdown and Bound For Glory. This way for most of the year the fueds can be built leading up to big PPV matches.

They need a pick me up for everything, didn't know there was B PPV's thought they were all "the Biggest PPV of the Year" least thats what they spout every leadup and every one is sub par at best.

and as teamangle mentioned at the end they need to improve the storytelling and i'd go as far as still saying production, atmosphere and overal feel that every show is just Impact with a different banner.

Well, to be honest...

I would rather see them go away, and just focus on promoting their big 4 or 6 pay-per-views. Sometimes quality is better then quantity. If I'm coming off left field, I do apologize.

Something about putting two months in promoting a pay-per-view card would lead to more sales. Heck, you can build up feuds in that time. Care more about the card and the characters on it.

Well, to be honest...

I would rather see them go away, and just focus on promoting their big 4 or 6 pay-per-views. Sometimes quality is better then quantity. If I'm coming off left field, I do apologize.

Something about putting two months in promoting a pay-per-view card would lead to more sales. Heck, you can build up feuds in that time. Care more about the card and the characters on it.

There has to be a solid reason why both companies stick to the 12 PPV format, though. Maybe fear or lack of research. No one's really tried and succeeded with a four PPV format and in order to determine whether it actually works or not, the company would have to stick with it for at least a year, if not more.

It's a pretty huge move and it's understandable if TNA doesn't want to go for it yet due to how risky it is and the chance that it might hurt the company big time. There's no solid proof that this can end up working, no basis of action so no one's taking any action. In TNA's case it's better that they don't, it's not like they're swimming in money. WWE on the other hand has the resources to allow themselves such a little adventure but I think they get a shit load of money from sponsors and advertising during PPVs so the less PPVs they have the less money will flow from those directions thus it doesn't work.

I do agree, though. At this point PPVs add nothing to the viewer's experience. There's a couple I remember I enjoyed, that's about it. We'll see what happens.

I think its a good idea, I mean lets be real they will never get to the same level as wwe but whats the problem with getting a few extra hundred or thousand buys because of a special match that has people interested. I don't see why not

Dixie has already discussed wanting to cut down ppv's. However, it is not an easy task! For every smart fan that can break down why they should cut down ppv's, there is a casual fan out there that expects 12 ppv's a year, as it been the standard in this business for a long time. I personally don't consider any ppv a "B ppv", I have every TNA ppv dvd between mid 2005 and early 2012! I appreciate the differences in the cards and time frame it captures. For example, Lockdown 2008, one of the big 3 featured Kurt vs Joe, the next month we got Joe vs Steiner vs Kaz, it may have not played a huge role storyline wise, but he had the spotlight that night, and its def a great unique main event to have in the history books. How about Roodes title run this past year, every ppv we got a different unique match up that could easily be featured on a best of roode dvd.

Roode vs AJ
Roode vs AJ Ironman Match
Roode vs Hardy
Roode vs Hardy vs Storm vs Bully
Roode vs Sting No DQ
Roode vs Storm
Roode vs RVD Ladder Match
Roode vs Sting Title Match
Roode vs Aries
Roode vs Aries

If only the big 3 ppv's exist, so many great ppvs wouldnt have taken place. Even though Dixie would prefer less ppv's, TNA does a good job at acting like each ppv is very important for the casual fans. I personally would hate if EVERY feud has a multiple month build behind it, it would devalue the greatness about long feuds. Its great to see new fresh match ups, and try and see who the gets the better of the other that particular month. I like seeing all the different match ups and feuds throughout the year. I think ppv buys don't matter anymore, in todays world someone can stream it online, wait for the next day to download a torrent, or even find it on youtube. With that, even if it doesn't get a lot of buys, the dvds can still be produced and make money, as well as the online purchases of it through their site and youtube, even the free airing on challenge tv. I believe BFG broke records recently on tv in the uk.

For me, theres something nostalgic about waiting for the current year's edition of a ppv and comparing it to the cards and feuds of the previous years! Seeing who's still around, and who you never thought would be in the company during the past. For example lets look at the previous main events for final resolution!

-Jeff Jarrett (Champion) vs Monty Brown, NWA Title match
-Christian & Sting vs Jarrett & Monty Brown (Stings Return to wrestling)
-Abyss (Champion) vs Christian vs Sting, 3 way NWA Title match
-Kurt Angle (Champion) vs Christian, TNA Title match
-Sting (c), Steiner, Booker, Nash vs 3D, Samoa Joe, AJ, TNA Title 4v4 match
-AJ Styles vs Daniels TNA Title match
-Jeff Hardy vs Morgan, Anderson Referee, TNA Title match
-Roode vs AJ Ironman Match, TNA Title match
-Roode vs Hardy, TNA Title match

I think about stuff like this for every ppv, every month, and it makes me appreciate the amount of content they are producing, content that I can enjoy for the rest of my life when all these guys are long retired, and live on through history, their mark, and their matches!

I def understand why many of you feel there should be less ppv's, and when TNA or WWE decides to go down that route, I will support them, but I def dont think now is the time, it could really mess up a casual fans perspective, some might not care to watch unless its almost time for a ppv, and I for one, prefer the latter, a ppv for each month. Life is short, nothing is promised in this business, I want as much as I can get, and I trust they would put forward their best effort! "B ppv's" add to the big 3, you enjoy the rest of the year, and when its time for the big 3, theres something special in the air, you expect the bar to be raised once again. I do however think it was crazy when WWE was running 15+ ppv's a year, some will only get 2 weeks of build, sometimes there were 3 ppv's in the span of 5-6 weeks, thats crazy lol

On one last note, I have really enjoyed all of TNA's ppv's this year!

Edit: I will however like to see Bound For Glory maybe get a 2 month build and 30 more minutes, they do fine with time now for the most part, but 30 minutes can assure nothing is rushed due to time constraints, and maybe more promos and discussions before each match, the 2 month build can allow great great build up and anticipation build!

Hate to say it, but the idea is that more build will lead to more buys. It might, but will a company that gets a 20k buyrate for their top PPV, and averages less than 10k for the rest of their shows really want to cut the number in hopes that they will average 20k with 40k for their top PPV. That's what you're suggesting for TNA to do.

Except it's not going to work.

Most of the people that buy TNA PPVs buy them every month. So you're not going to double the audience. It's that the audience has turned away from a product that many people, including people in the wrestling business, consider an independent with a national TV deal.

I know that it's harsh, but you have to realize that neither TNA nor WWE is going to cut in half the revenue that they generate from PPV just to give the other PPVs a better build.

What TNA (and WWE) needs to do to increase the buy rate is slightly lower the cost of the PPVs (lower cost means a better chance that someone buys) and give the fans a product that they can care about.

Something certainly could be done in my opinion. TNA has their more important shows such as Bound For Glory, Lockdown, Slammiversary, and Destination X. Bound For Glory being their answer to Wrestlemania always has the feel of a huge show, as it should. Lockdown is without question their 2nd biggest show and with everything being Cage matches it helps that show stand out. Slammiversary often gets decent amount of hype, and Destination X's new stipulation from this year regarding the X Division Championship will quickly increase the prestige of that PPV brand if that becomes an annual tradition.

Then we have all of the other shows. They need something to help them be more than just another PPV with a different name. People complain about WWE's PPV themes but at least you know what to expect and I see TNA's lesser shows having the same problems that shows like No Mercy and Unforgiven did in WWE. I know it's a less important show, so I am less likely to buy it and less interested in watching than I would for something like Lockdown. If they brought back Feast or Fired to be exclusive to a PPV (Sacrifice comes to mind) or King of the Mountain (Victory Road perhaps?) then that helps that particular show to stand out from the rest. Each show needs something, anything, to help it be more than just another show or else they will never be viewed as important by some fans.

According to The Times

TNA Will Be Cutting The Number Of PPV Down To Six

Dixie Carter said in 2010 TNA was considering cutting down on the amount of yearly PPV events. At the time legal pay per view contracts preventing them from doing so.

The previous contracts was a 12 pay per view a year contract that was signed in 2004 with cable and satellite company.On many of the contracts renegotiation wasn't set until 2013 . which is why it has taking so long to when they wanted to cut down in 2010 to when they were able to legally do so now.TNA has been re-negotiating PPV contracts over the past 2 years.

TNA Wrestling will be cutting the number of pay per views down to Six pay per views a year in 2013. It is unknown at this time what pay per views will stay and what ppv's will go , but lockdown is going to be in March.Slammiversary will remain in June because it represents the anniversary in June , TNA will be 11 years old this June.TNA Bound for Glory is the biggest PPV of the year and it will stay.Destination X will also stay as well Option C stipulation that goes along with the Destination X PPV.

Option C is whichever TNA wrestler is holding the X Division title when the Destination X PPV roles around, that wrestler will be given the opportunity and the chance to relinquish that title for a shot at being the world champion.

Six pay per views will get cut. Destination X , Bound for Glory , Slammiversary and Lockdown will not be cut.

- TheWrestlingTimes.com

According to The Times

TNA Will Be Cutting The Number Of PPV Down To Six

Dixie Carter said in 2010 TNA was considering cutting down on the amount of yearly PPV events. At the time legal pay per view contracts preventing them from doing so.

The previous contracts was a 12 pay per view a year contract that was signed in 2004 with cable and satellite company.On many of the contracts renegotiation wasn't set until 2013 . which is why it has taking so long to when they wanted to cut down in 2010 to when they were able to legally do so now.TNA has been re-negotiating PPV contracts over the past 2 years.

TNA Wrestling will be cutting the number of pay per views down to Six pay per views a year in 2013. It is unknown at this time what pay per views will stay and what ppv's will go , but lockdown is going to be in March.Slammiversary will remain in June because it represents the anniversary in June , TNA will be 11 years old this June.TNA Bound for Glory is the biggest PPV of the year and it will stay.Destination X will also stay as well Option C stipulation that goes along with the Destination X PPV.

Option C is whichever TNA wrestler is holding the X Division title when the Destination X PPV roles around, that wrestler will be given the opportunity and the chance to relinquish that title for a shot at being the world champion.

Six pay per views will get cut. Destination X , Bound for Glory , Slammiversary and Lockdown will not be cut.

- TheWrestlingTimes.com

I was hopeing for 5 PPVs so BFG had more time thin all the rest.

I think it's difficult to have a good tv-show while being forced to build up to PPV main events every month. Realistically not even the WWE can do this in this day and age. It worked for them when they separated the raw and smackdown brands but right now I think Raw is suffering from this phenomenon as well.

Impact with a smaller talent pool is just suffering from this burden of having to focus on the monthly PPV.

If it's 8 ppvs next year and 6 ppvs in 2014 that would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back