• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does the WWE need a complete overhaul?

Rusty

Is hanging up the boots
I was reading this rather very interesting column on my iPod because I've got this wrestling application where I can view the latest news and stuff like that from another source, and one guy really had unique views on how to change the WWE product for the better but to also prevent more injuries from occurring.

I can't remember every detail he said, but one of the main points was that the WWE should completely change weapon shots and finishers. For example, make every chair shot seem brutal, instead of having Jeff Hardy dish out 6 chair shots, have him lay into his brother with only two "vicious" shots, making them look more brutal and meaningful. Have finishers be less dangerous in reality, but look more appealing on TV. It's why the 619 is such a great finisher. Use title belts as weapons on occasions, that way when they are introduced, the fans will actually care. Do this for a variety of weapons in general.

But one other thing that really caught my attention was this: Cut back on the number of matches main event wrestlers perform on free TV. Think about this for a second, on Raw, you only get to see John Cena wrestle a long match about 4 ot 5 times a year! So when he does wrestle against a decent opponent, the fans will definately care about it. At first it sounded lame and ridiculous, but then he said that Cena could be involved in squash matches much more often. Obviously this means the main eventers perform more promos, extending storylines and making them mean something. But also, this gives a great deal of time dedicated to the tag team division, the mid-card division, womens division and yes, the cruiserweight division.

Don't have a go at me, because I don't necesarrily think it's a great idea, but it's a good topic to discuss. Also, he said the WWE should treat ALL divisions as "big deals". Obviously not as big as the main eventers, but for instance, actually hype up a mid-card title bout on Smackdown. Hype up a cruiserweight match. This will improve the quaility of the tag team divisions, the mid-card division and the cruiserweight division, something we've all been waiting for. His reason on why it would be successful was this: It's how things were prior to the Monday Night Wars.

So in essence, do you think this procedure would work in the modern day era of professional wrestling? Do you think it's a great idea to make the little things seem more important, or is it a rather bad business decision? Please give detailed responses.

I think there are some very valid points here. Let's discuss.

I can't remember every detail he said, but one of the main points was that the WWE should completely change weapon shots and finishers. For example, make every chair shot seem brutal, instead of having Jeff Hardy dish out 6 chair shots, have him lay into his brother with only two "vicious" shots, making them look more brutal and meaningful.

Definitely agree with this one. It is not the attitude era any more, there are not many hardcore matches, having weapons more devastating will be a good thing. The way Jeff was taken out with one chair shot was a great thing in my eyes. It shows the heel in a more vile light, using such a devastating weapon to help them out, and highlights the face no wrestling moves can win them the match, so they cheat and use a chair.

Have finishers be less dangerous in reality, but look more appealing on TV. It's why the 619 is such a great finisher.

I think babyfaces should have showy finishers, like the leg drop, the people's elbow, ones the crowd can get into, and the heels should have dangerous finishers out of nowhere, like the RKO.

Use title belts as weapons on occasions, that way when they are introduced, the fans will actually care. Do this for a variety of weapons in general.

The belt does get used as a weapon from time to time still I feel.

But one other thing that really caught my attention was this: Cut back on the number of matches main event wrestlers perform on free TV. Think about this for a second, on Raw, you only get to see John Cena wrestle a long match about 4 ot 5 times a year! So when he does wrestle against a decent opponent, the fans will definately care about it. At first it sounded lame and ridiculous, but then he said that Cena could be involved in squash matches much more often. Obviously this means the main eventers perform more promos, extending storylines and making them mean something. But also, this gives a great deal of time dedicated to the tag team division, the mid-card division, womens division and yes, the cruiserweight division.

This one nails it right on the head. Too many matches are given away for free. Edge vs John Cena, Jeff Hardy vs Undertaker, HHH vs Undertaker etc. Main eventers should only square off against main eventers with a title on the line in special circumstances like you said. The main eventers should not wrestle on RAW every week. Promos every week, run ins now and again, and matches occasionally. It makes seeing them wrestle at the PPV that much more special.

Another thing I miss is the number one contender matches. They had some build to them, the Champ would cut promos on both the possible opponents, and that match would main event RAW with the Champ coming out afterwards to stare down his new opponent. Just was a better way of doing it.

However, I am not complaining against the WWE too much, the product is doing fine at the moment, but these changes would make it better.

I agree with most of, if not all of those points. I also think the WWE is taking small steps in those directions. Like you guys pointed out the weapons have been more devastating, and although not with all of them, some of the main event guys who usually wrestle every show are being toned down a bit, ala both Hardys, Orton, etc. Not the extent it needs to be, but a step none-the-less. They shouldn't be wrestling main eventers every week, I think we could all agree on that.

Great starter. While I agree with most of what you said, Rusty, I'm not quite sure that classifies as a complete overhaul. Nonetheless, I think you're on to something here.

Going with the chair shots comment, I would like to see steel chair used more in the same vein as RVD used them, or the same as Edge. Booked in the manner that after a single Con-Chair-to or a Van Terminator/Daminator the recipient was not getting up in a hurry. Flashy, eye-catching, exciting, hell yes. But in retrospect, nowhere near as dangerous as it looks.

Moving along to finishers, I agree to an extent. The finisher needs to compliment the individual character and not be classified as a face/heel kinda thing. Perfect example being The Rock. Face or Heel, the People's Elbow was something that was entertaining to watch no matter if you were meant to hate him or love him. And as many people we've seen put their spin on it, let's be honest, nobody works that move like The Rock and selling the move is nothing short of simple for the recipient. Another good example would be HBK's Sweet Chin Music. Face or Heel, we've seen it enough to know that at almost any given time Shawn can pop off with a superkick and end things almost as quickly as they began. With how clean and seemingly flawless he performs the move, it keeps people on the edge of their seats wondering if and/or when someone's lights are getting turned out via a quick kick. On the opposing end, it still leaves the opportunity for him to "tune up the band" and sell it to the crowd in a calling-his-shot kind of way.

In closing, to comment on the main event matches that should be saved for PPV but get wasted on TV broadcasts. I agree wholeheartedly. There are too many "dream" matches so to speak that WWE just throws out there haphazardly as if it didn't even occur to them to have Undertaker thrash Jeff Hardy at let's say a Survivor Series in a ladder match and make a little money. At the time it happened, Undertaker was still semi-working the "I'm gonna make you famous, boy" angle to perfection, and Jeff working a PPV with Big Evil would have done him more good on PPV then just another freebie match. To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised that the Batista vs Cena match wasn't done before we saw it on a PPV. This goes to show you that sometimes the ratings seem more important than the amount of money made from ticket sales at a PPV.

To coin a phrase from the Sean O'Haire promos I've for whatever reason been watching lately, "I'm not telling you anything you don't already know." Just wanted to put my two cents worth in. Great topic Rusty.

You're exactly right,these changes are what WWE needs to get its edge of you seatness back. The thing is,at this time they're focusing on the short term,not the long term. They put huge matches in every show and advertise them so people are like whoa we need to see this,these people are your average wreslting fans,the tv'ers,the kids or ones that watch it with there kids,that are into it but thats it,they just watch it on tv and go to shows,they get super excited when they find out they could see a huge match with huge stars and its not in a ppv.This is the kind of people they're targeting right now,because its garunteed cash. They're not thinking about the true,eat breath and bleed wreslting fans like us,that actually know things about the sport,would kill to see changes like this happen. But to the average strickly tv'ers,these changes could be potentially boring,and the WWE thinks it needs this none stop hugeness to keep the tv'ers watching. Right now these people want to see Edge vs. Cena and Cena get anihlated by 50 vicious chair shots only to get and overcome the odds as a vegtable and beat edge at the last second. Average wrestling fans have a certain ADD,and they're what WWE is working for right now.

Make sure that you dont completely rip wrestling off of TV. We may not be paying for it, but there are advertisers out there you cannot upset. Consolidate the rosters. Consolidate titles. Have an equivalent to a TV champion where the title is defended everyweek. Dont be afraid to let SmackDown be your second show. Dont be afraid to let ECW be a developmental show. Yeah some talent will cry and leave but with the amount of talent in WWE, you have the capability for a more stacked show. Plus, where are they going to go? TNA? The only one who has truly benefitted from jumping ship was Kurt Angle.

Plus minimizing main-eventers on TV wrestling, you give more people chances to show what they can do and get people behind them. It minimizes the chance a main-eventer is injured.

I have no problems with finishers but agree that weapon shots should mean more.

I'll tell you what WWE needs and say with me folks.....FAN INTERACTION and CATCH PHRASES! That's one of the reasons Steve Austin, The Rock, New Age Outlaws, The Godfather and others were over. Nobody remembers what kind of matches road dogg and billy gunn had. All you cared about was hearing "oh you didn't know" and "ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, children of all ages". The fans felt apart of the show cause sometimes they'd hold the mic up and want you to cheer it.

The Rock did it perfectly. He became the greatest talker EVER in wrestling because he used the fans in his promos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back