• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Rey Have A Point ?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
The WZ homepage has posted an article regarding the Rey Mysterio/Dolph Ziggler match for the IC title at Summerslam. Supposdely Dolph was going to go over Rey at NOC, but Rey insisted that his title reign go longer. This goes back to Rey not being satisfied with his WHC reign a few years back. I can understand Rey's beef with on this one. He lost the title to King Booker back at the GAB 2006 due to interferance by Chavo. Booker becomes WHC, Rey doesn't get a rematch, and then Rey goes into a feud with Chavo that nobody really remebers. So do you think Rey has a point ?

Not really, no. You used to have year long title reigns back in the day when you had year long feuds. Doesn't really work anymore with monthly PPV events, though. Short feuds, short reigns. I'm already tired of Rey as IC champ.

This sounds like something that isn't true. Unless Rey has creative control, what right does he have to deny dropping the title to anyone? After NoC, what I first heard what that creative changed plans at the last minute, which sounds a lot more likely - and believable - then Rey refusing to do the job.

You can't believe half the shit you read on wrestling websites.

if what rey said is true then no i dont agree with what he said because this year alone the wwe title, world title, ecw title, & the IC title each has changed hands 4-5 times already and we are only in august & with that being said i highly doubt rey will retain the IC belt at summerslam even though it would be nice for him to keep the belt for another 2-3 mths

If it's true, he really doesn't have a point, the WWE will keep the title on him as long as they think it works. If they think it would be interesting for him to drop it only after a week, he needs to drop it. If they want him to hold it for three years, then that's what he will do. ReyRey isn't in charge, Vince and Creative are. He should be luckly he has the title and if he starts griping about title reigns, then he'll likely not get one again for a while. Dolph Ziggler is ready to take the belt from Rey and Rey should of given it up already if that was the original plan. He needs to do business.

I do think rey mysterio has a point. This is because every title he wins there is always a short reign. so for once give him a long reign, he deffinetly deserves it. Also his WHC reign was only about 2-3 months and at that time wrestlers were having it for a long time. So YES i do think rey has a point.

I think Rey has a point, Rey needs a longer reign as the IC Champion. Also IMO him dropping the title to ziggler at summerslam would not be a good move. It will destroy whatever credibilty the IC title has left. Ziggler is a good wrestler but he needs more build up for him to get the ic title. To me ziggler shouldnt get the IC title yet, its too soon. Let Rey and ziggler feud for a bit more let him win the title at unforgiven or some other ppv. WWE belts dont mean shit anymore, b/c of short reigns and garbage feuds over the title, also dropping the title at every 1 or 2 ppvs.

I get what rey is saying. TO me i liked reys title reign. the wm triplle threat was one of my favorite matches such a fast pased match. His title reign itself was terrible and could have been made better. IF they were gonna make rey much better he should have gotten better wins over orton and angle and they shold have had one on one matches between rey and angle. after the fued with eddie G he became huge. and was ready

Rey at the moment has negotiating power, he is annoyed with the WWE as it is and knows he can make money outside of the pro wrestling circuit in mexico, so they will do whatever rey wants.

But does he have a point?, well yes they need to establish Ziggler first because he is not yet ready for a title push IMO, Ziggler has been collecting wins on smackdown but has yet to be thrust into the credible mid card title picture, truthfully he is lucky to be there at this time with the midcard heavily stacked on smackdown.

But with the world title reign well Rey wasnt getting over as champion with anyone apart from the latino audience, he was given the opportunity but was not really looking credible being demolished by nearly everyone apart from JBL and apparently the title was going to change hands their if it wasnt for JBL's back injury forcing him into semi retirement.

That is exactly what I am saying. Ziggler to me is far from ready of getting an IC title. But I dont buy him being IC champion yet. To me R truth, mike knox, john morrison and etc deserve the title much more than ziggler. Good point Degeneration Deej.

You see this is one of the reasons the WWE has no championship that has prestige. They change hands every three months or less, they leave championships on people that don't deserve them like Jeff Hardy, they have no one new in the title chase on Raw for about 4 years which kills that championship's prestige, then they have two championships for the midcard and main eventers which devalues those championships.

So does Rey have a point hell yes. Vince get's one of his biggest stars a title reign then makes him drop it less than 3 months later to a guy who hasn't shown that he deserves it yet. It's a crock.

No he has no point I'm honestly surprised that Rey is such a baby backstage he should do what his EMPLOYERS ask of him. Rey should thank Vince for giving him a reign as the world champion guys his size never get runs period.

This is disappointing to me I always had a lot of respect for Rey Mysterio but I've lost some now if creative feels Ziggler is ready for an IC title run who is Rey Mysterio to say no ?

How the hell does Rey have a point for not holding the WHC long enough? Everyone knows he only won it because of Eddies death and for a man that small, he should not ever hold the World Heavyweight championship. What I don't get is his IC reign rant yet he had no problem taking the title from Jericho after a short period of time.

How the hell does Rey have a point for not holding the WHC long enough? Everyone knows he only won it because of Eddies death and for a man that small, he should not ever hold the World Heavyweight championship. .

See I didn't go there because I love Eddie but your 100% right the only reason Rey got the title was because a guy who is way out of his league died and coincidentally was his friend.

If Eddie never died Rey Mysterio would never own a world championship plain and simple.

i hope this isn't true. i was actually just starting to kind of like rey mysterio. who cares how long you have the belt for? especially at this point in his career. i don't understand why he would feel like he would need to hold it longer. it just doesn't make sense to me. does he realize he isn't really the champion of anything? i'm saying he didn't really win a belt. you know what i mean? and his career is already cemented as legendary i would say. are people going to look back and think "oh, rey mysterio was great....except i remember in 2009 he only held the intercontinental championship for a month instead of a month and a half. he totally sucks." please. he needs to help establish the younger guys to keep the perpetual motion of wrestling going forward.

Does Rey have a point? Kinda. He doesn't have a point about the WHC because I agree with Lee that a man that small doesn't really have much credibility as a WH Title holder because it's just not realistic. The WWE effed up by ditching the cruiserweight title and bringing in a 2nd women's title. I mean do we really need 2 women's champions while guys like Jamie Noble, TBK (while he was still around), Chavo, Gregory Helms, etc... get shit on by losing dark matches and matches against midgets every single week? That's the part of WWE that still confuses me to no end. 15-20 women... no cruiserweights. Ugh it angers me.
This is the division that Rey should be dominating and making something happen in. He could bring so much credibility back to a type of performer that is so exciting to watch in wrestling. That's for another discussioin.

Sure Rey kinda has a point that he just won it from Jericho, but he ultimatly went over Jericho in their feud, won Jericho's rematch, and kept the title. He should be proud of that feud because his matches with Jericho were some of the best of his career IMO. I also agree that Dolph isn't ready to carry the IC Title yet. I've been a Dolph fan since he debuted as Dolph because it was a great gimmick. He has grown a lot since his debut as Dolph from the Spirit Squad days. I think he still needs to go over in another non-title feud or two before the IC title. Have him go over R-Truth in a solid feud on Smackdown, and then maybe someone else. THEN the IC Championship around Armageddon or so.

If Ziggler takes the title from Rey at SSlam, will he be successful with it? I believe so. But I would want him established a little bit more. I think a truly epic push into the IC Title picture would have been to pair him with Jericho and have them run with the titles for awhile and let Jericho help Ziggler get over because Jericho could put a turd over, and make that turd look good because Jericho is that damn good. So Rey Rey... leave the title go to Ziggler, campaign to Vince that 2 women's titles is rediculous, and bring back the cruiserweight title. I don't like Rey with the IC Title anyway. Faces make terrible IC champs IMO.

I find it rather hilarious that Rey feels his World Heavyweight title run was handled poorly. You mean the title run you never deserved to have in the first place in any shape, way, or form Rey? The one you got solely because of Eddie Guerrero's death, that title run Rey? Please, I love ya man, but you're talking out of your ass. That or you're buying into your own hype. In no way did Rey ever deserve to have the World title, at all.

He doesn't have much of a point here honestly. I love Rey, but what the fuck is another few weeks added onto your IC title reign going to accomplish? He's accomplished so much in his career already, does he really think people are even going to remember this title reign?

Hopefully Dolph gets the win at Summerslam. I love Rey, but he sure as hell doesn't "deserve" a longer title reign. You've accomplished quite a bit in this profession Rey, you really don't "deserve" anything else outside of a future Hall of Fame induction.

Frankly, I think Rey does have a point. He's got a major point in wanting to keep the IC title for a little bit longer. He's quite possibly one of the best and most steadily popular characters in the WWE today. This guy can still do things many of the superstars have yet to even aspire to both in the ring and out of it. He is also, I have to say this, the one character in the WWE that can most put across the "heroic struggle." I say let him keep the title for a while longer. Give him more than one defense to his name. Cut the guy some slack, with all he's done for the WWE he deserves to have an extended run, I mean it's not as if it's one of the Heavyweight titles. In my opinion he got screwed where the WHC was concerned. There's a lot more he could have done. And let's not forget he treated us to some of the greatest matches in WWE history or have we already forgotten Summerslam of '05? That emotion-charged one-of-a-kind match with the custody of Dominic hanging in the balance. The action and the commitment to character was fantastic. Rey's still a hell of a force in the WWE, so why make every championship run a short one?

I also have to say that the only reason (I believe) that he lost the IC to Jericho in the first place was so that the WWE could milk the "record breaking" aspect of Jericho's win. That's it. The sooner they could bounce it back to Mysterio, the sooner they were going to do so.

Now, all of that being said, I think that now is the right time for the IC to change hands and that as annoying as I find Ziggy's character, he's the man for the job. It'll be passing from face to heel, as it should, and hopefully after Ziggy's had a good run, it can bounce to the next face (I'm thinking R-Truth would be a good one after Ziggy.)

Um, I yet to find any proof that this is 100% true, but if it is... let me tell you my opinion. If it's true... then I couldn't agree with Rey Mysterio any more. I mean, when Rey Mysterio won the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania 25, I couldn't be more happy. It was the first title Rey held since losing the World Heavyweight Championship to King Booker at Great American Bash 2007. I looked back at the IC Title holders prior to him, and thought that he was the best choice to carry the title since...

I thought that Rey Mysterio was exactly what the title needed. And from the looks of the great fued he had with Chris Jericho over the title... I was right. That short title reign he had with the first time around was not fair, and it would be stupid to do it again. I don't think that Dolph Ziggler will make a very good Intercontinental Champion, at this time, atleast.

If WWE wanted Ziggler as the champ, they should have taken more time to solidify him as a threat. Also, they should have given Mysterio more time to have other challengers. This way Mysterio would have a longer reign and Ziggler would seem like he's a bigger, and more legit threat to the title.

Like I said, I'm still not sure if it's 100% true, but if it is... I'm 100% on Mysterio's side. He deserves a long Intercontinental Championship reign (atleast 4 months), and who is Dolph Ziggler to come out of nowhere and stop that?

Rey Mysterio has all the reason in the world, why?:

1) he's a veteran who deserves a long run as champion guys! he has been working hard in wwe for years, and deserves it, while ziggler has some months doing a decent job, and you want him to be champion so quickly? come on!

2) rey is a big draw on smackdown, a hell of a champion with the ic title, and damn it! has been champion for just 1 month and barely 2 weeks come on!

3) Dolph Ziggler really doesn't deserve the title yet, please he's not so good and has not so much time in the bussiness to be intercontinental champion pals!

SO REY MYSTERIO CAN REGRET DROPPING IT BECAUSE FIRST OF ALL HE'S A HARD WORKING VETERAN WHO DESERVES A LONGER REIGN IN THIS STAGE OF HIS CAREER, AND SECOND OF ALL HE'S WIDELY POPULAR SOOOO HE HAS ALL THE REASON, ALL!

I think Rey has a point and at the same time he doesn't, and I'm kind of surprised that the IWC doesn't see this point partially. I think that short title reigns are pointless, at least let the champion hold the title for a few months or so. The IWC sits here and bitches about short title reigns and titles having prestige, but how can a title have any prestige at all if they only hold the title for a month? To make the title prestigious, someone, who is well respected, needs to hold it for a while, like I said, a few months, and face challengers in strong matches where they almost lose it but somehow manage to win it. Now I do not blame Rey for being mad that they wanted him to drop the belt so soon. In my opinion Ziggler is a good wrestler, and he has the potential to be at the top of the food chain, soon, but not too soon. In my eyes, as in many, giving someone the IC title is like moving them up in the rankings. To me it's like saying here, we're ready to almost push you to main event. Ziggler isn't quite there just yet, and I hope Rey retains again at Summerslam to lose it at the next pay per view.

Now back onto topic, Rey has been there for a while, and he doesn't deserve to have a belt won and then dropped in a month. Where ReyRey comes from wrestling is about honor and respect and what kind of honor is holding the belt for a short time? Although ReyRey may not be in charge, he has a right to voice his opinion on the situation and I'm glad they didn't have him drop the belt at NoC.

Klown_Karnage is right about Rey deserving a longer title reign. Sometimes I don't understand why people think he didn't deserve a world title reign, it's plain stupid. He is far more capable than ANY of the biggest stars in wrestling history. Simply put, he is probably one of the best flying wrestlers ever, if not the best. And just based on that he deserves it. I read once not long ago that Ric Flair said in an interview that he was still better than half the WWE roster at age 60. He is out of his fucking mind, none of the top performers in WWE can do a lot of things Rey can. They are over because of their characters or their mic skills mainly, even HBK can't do a lot of Rey's moves, lets see him do more than one springboard move? It may be true that Eddie's death lead to Rey's world title reign, but the fact is he deserved it anyway.

Sometimes I don't understand why people think he didn't deserve a world title reign, it's plain stupid. He is far more capable than ANY of the biggest stars in wrestling history.

Like who? Rey is good, but he's not heavyweight champion material, at all. Taka Michinoku could out-wrestle half of the wrestlers to have ever worked in the WWE, should he have gotten a title run as well?

Simply put, he is probably one of the best flying wrestlers ever, if not the best.

That'd be relevant if this were a discussion of a light heavyweight/cruiserweight title. I fail to see how someone who weights 175 pounds deserves a HEAVYWEIGHT title reign.

And just based on that he deserves it.

So by that logic Psicosis deserved a world title reign as well?

He is out of his fucking mind, none of the top performers in WWE can do a lot of things Rey can.

What's your point? He can do lots of high flying moves? How does that make him worthy to be a heavyweight champion? By that logic half of the wrestlers in Mexico right now deserve world title runs.

They are over because of their characters or their mic skills mainly, even HBK can't do a lot of Rey's moves, lets see him do more than one springboard move? It may be true that Eddie's death lead to Rey's world title reign, but the fact is he deserved it anyway.

No, he didn't. At all. Rey deserves all kinds of titles; just not the Heavyweight title. He made the world title look like a midcard joke.

I really don't understand what this obsession with long championship reigns comes from. If you look back over the course of wrestling history during the 20th century, you'll find that most championships changed hands several times a year. In the various NWA territories, for instance, it's pretty rare to find a regional title that was carried for 6 months or longer. And, even if you did, it was usually by someone that was either the owner of a territory or something that had a LOT of clout within the territory.

Now for such titles as the NWA, WWF and AWA World Championships, reigns measured in years were pretty common up until the late 80s, as well as a few mid-card titles like the NWA U.S. and WWF IC titles. Those titles, however, seemed to be the exceptions rather than the rule. Lengthy title reigns don't work today because today's average wrestling fan doesn't have the attention span to even want to endure lengthy reigns.

Now, that being said, I think Rey should hold onto the title for a little bit longer, though let's not go crazy here. If Rey holds the strap for more than 3 months, half the people that frequent this forum will be screaming for his head. If a guy holds the title for a month or so, it's too short. If he's had it for 3 months or more, people are screaming he's had it too long. As far as length of reigns goes, there's really no pleasing anybody anymore. Vince McMahon will ultimately make the decision as to how long Rey keeps it by how much the crowd likes it, thereby how much money Rey as IC champ brings in.

And, quite frankly, that's exactly the right way a decision like this should be made. I hear people piss and moan sometimes about Cena's lengthy reigns as WWE Champion sometimes and it irks me. Cena made Vince a lot of money as WWE Champion, that's why he kept it for so long. If Rey can't bring in the bucks as IC champ, then he shouldn't be carrying the strap for long reigns.

your dam right he has a argument the man had been made to look like a joke the last few years and it is not right with the talent that he has. he would and should be a big main event player for Smackdown right now. but Vince is being a jackass and treating him like shit. this tittle run should last till the end of the year like Survivor Series at least. the man has payed his dues and is a top performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back