• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Reigns deserve a bigger push than Ambrose and Rollins?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I was a huge fan of the Shield and believed that Reigns would definitely be the man who would go the farthest once they inevitably broke up. Even when he had the least amount to say in promos, you never lost focus of him because he had such an impressive presence. It also helped that he was being booked as the strength of the Shield, whereas Rollins at the time was the heart (or in some cases, the damsel in distress) and Ambrose seemed like he would be the one to turn on them.

Yet I began to change my mind when Reigns suddenly became a contender for the championship. His promos have been inconsistent since going solo (it's never a good sign when fans start chanting 'Cena sucks' when Reigns barely mentioned him), whereas I've enjoyed all the promos from Ambrose and Rollins. Rollins has especially excelled considering I figured he'd immediately be dropped to the midcard once the Shield fell apart since he seemed like the least interesting of the three.

Even worse, his singles matches have kind of sucked. When he was with the Shield, Ambrose and Rollins would carry the bulk of the action while Reigns would deliver the climax. It would be awesome whenever Reigns would spear, Superman punch or do that running kick on an enemy. Yet it's become more apparent that those three seem to be the extent of his arsenal. People complain about Cena for this very reason, yet Reigns seems to have avoided this criticism for whatever reason. You can't carry a match with only three good moves.

The booking hasn't helped things either. After the Shield fell apart and he found himself in the Money in the Bank match, they kept putting him in other team battles. Reigns has already established that he's awesome in those kinds of matches, but shouldn't the WWE focus on building his singles career? That's sort of the most important part of being the WWE champion. Ambrose and Rollins seem to have 1 on 1 matches every week, and they're usually really good, whereas Reigns isn't getting the same singles push...even though he is technically getting the biggest singles push because he keeps getting placed in Championship matches.

So I don't think he deserves to be a contender right now, much less the champ. But with this current storyline, it's a major case of wrestling blue balls for him not to win. His feud with the authority was the biggest story going into Money in the Bank, but Cena- who was being treated as an afterthought in regards to his placement within said story- came out on top? That's just frustrating writing, even though Cena was probably the best decision at that time.

I like Reigns, but I think Rollins and Ambrose deserve the top spot over him. They've proven themselves as capable of carrying matches and they're being booked in the way that Reigns himself should be booked. Reigns should be built up more, although I'd prefer they not go the Rusev route and have him squash the same people over and over again (lol). But am I alone in my opinions? Everyone seems to really like Reigns, so it almost seems like his push has garnered more support than criticism. Obviously we won't know whether this will end in success or failure, but I'm seeing a lot of warning signs.

I will say I do like how Reigns is more of the anti-hero compared to Cena's traditional hero. It's an interesting contrast, if anything.

It would be interesting in hearing just what those warning signs are? It's pretty obvious that Reigns is over with the crowd, and I think it's partially because Bryan is out and they need someone to cheer for and Cena is stale as old bread.

He was never good on the mic, and quite honestly I can't hear him half the time he talks anyway. When you put Reigns up against Rollins or Ambrose on mic skills he'll lose everytime.

He cuts the most imposing picture out of the three, and he is a powerhouse, but he has to hone his skills a bit more before he can take the titles.

He unlike Cena has taken the hero's journey that you speak of. Reigns was part of the Shield a heel faction, who beat the crap out of most of the locker room. In turn they've been beat down many times themselves, you can't say that about Cena. Also since he defied the Authority they've targetted him on more than one occasion and probably has the battle wounds to prove it.

Cena on the other hand has never taken the hero's journey. We've never been given the chance to see him sink to the lowest depths possible, just to be saved at the last minute. And that's the biggest problem with the whole Cena character. It's not Cena himself, it's the storylines he's been put in.

I would also say that in a way he is protecting Reigns right now in matches, sort of the way Rollins and Ambrose did when the Shield were together. Reigns can hold his own, but he has a lot to learn.

lets see Roman Reigns, 4 moves of doom, 4 years only in the business
Dean Ambrose, 28, 10 years in the business, a great hardcore, brawler and technical wrestler
Seth Rollins 11 years in the biz, 2003, a great technically sound highflying light heavyweight

Dean is master on the microphone and he's the only one with a deep character
but Reigns has the look and although he's crisp and every move he does so well he is so limited. Dean you could put in any storyline, he'd be amazing. If you made all his matches Extreme Rules, even with the PG rating he'd do some amazing stuff and with Rollins, just wait till we get Sami Sayne, KENTA, Devitt and Nevel on the main roster, dream matches.

I am very judgemental of Reigns, I've been to wrestling school once and I have respect for anyone who has mastered the basics but with the way Reigns wrestles I would love to see new moves frequently, the newest thing I've seen him do is a head butt which if he does like a jumping version that'd be really cool. I mean big guys don't have to be limited, Cesaro can do it all at 6ft6 212, highflying power submission. I just hope that the rushing of Reigns does not make his faults show up sooner

Reigns has good backround, the looks and due to Shield and his moves(Spear, Superman punch)and carefull build up from WWE he is greatly over. Truly a star for the future.

Which doesnt mean that the other two are not as well great and in some segments as mic work even greater, just, when you see Reigns you just know that he is gona be Champion someday. As superficial as it is that is how it is and thats why WWE sees him as future of company.

Rollins and Ambrose too, dont believe that Rollins betrayed Shield and won MiTB just to get nothing because WWE doesnt believe in him. So both of them are gona get their part of fame as well. Interesting fact is that when Shield was formed all people just saw Ambrose. And here we are after 2+ years and Ambrose has maybe the least focuse out of all 3 members of faction.

I see it coming. Reigns eventually gets to where everyone expects him to be, WWE World Champion, and a decent percentage of the fans will start turning on him. His reactions will start to get more and more mixed, because the smarks will hold it against him that Rollins or their golden boy Ambrose didn't get that spot.

It's early on in his push, and I know there are many fans who are getting behind him now because they just want anyone but Cena/Orton at the top, but as soon as he gets there, its going to be "he isn't the one who deserves it".

Based on what I've seen thus far, personally, I'd have to say no. I've said in various threads talking about Reigns' push that Ambrose & Rollins are, from an overall perspective, stronger than Reigns and that Reigns has the overall better "look" that a lot of companies tend to go for. He's got the big, handsome, muscular stud thing going on and, as I've also said many times, he bears a strong resemblance to The Rock. If The Rock had hair like Reigns', a goatee and put him side by side to Reigns, they could pass for brothers. Reigns isn't as physically jacked up as we've seen with The Rock in the past few years but, then again, it's far easier to do the right kind of weight training and eat properly when you're not on the road 300 days a year. Plus, there's also the distinct possibility of The Rock using steroids. Reigns being part of the Anoa'i Family doesn't hurt either as they're a genuine wrestling dynasty.

Reigns has done a good job, don't get me wrong, and he's getting a good reaction from the fans. He's not as comfortable on the mic as Ambrose or Rollins but, at the same time, Reigns comes off as cool, a laid back sorta coolness while being simultaneously serious rather than jovial. So that's pretty unique in and of itself. He's not trying to be all Mr. Macho like Triple H, nor is he trying to be a jovial lug like Sheamus.

At the end of the day, however, I think WWE won the lottery when it came to The Shield as all three of them are guys who can definitely help carry the company for the next decade or so.

Reigns is getting the bigger push at the moment, but it's not really coming at the expense of Rollins or Ambrose, IMO. All 3 are getting very good pushes at this point. Rollins, by virtue of the MitB briefcase, can be assured a World title opportunity, so it's tough to say that he's not getting a big push for the title. Ambrose is playing spoiler to Rollins right now, and so he's getting a rub from that.

I honestly believe that we will see that triple threat match between these guys with the title or a title shot opportunity hanging in the balance.

I was never a big fan of roman. I find him to be a bad wrestler. Shitty on the mic. And just overrated by the IWC.
I dont get what everyone sees in him
Im not impressed by him.
He is being pushed way too fast.
Just like majority of the wrestlers these days.

Gonna be wwe's downfall in the end

They cant create new stars anymore.

I was never a big fan of roman. I find him to be a bad wrestler. Shitty on the mic. And just overrated by the IWC.
I dont get what everyone sees in him
Im not impressed by him.
He is being pushed way too fast.
Just like majority of the wrestlers these days.

Gonna be wwe's downfall in the end

They cant create new stars anymore.

Personally I like Reigns because he's gonna be a main face and his name isn't Cena or Orton. Now about him being pushed too fast you couldn't be more wrong, he was a part of the Shield for how long? Not to mention he's not booked to win the title for at least another 3-4 months. Granted they probably won't give him the title till Mania or later.

And I sorta agree with the new stars statement, but they're doing really well right now...all 3 of the Shield members, Bray Wyatt, Cesaro all being pushed slow.

Wait hold on you can't blame Reigns for anything. First of all did you watch him when he was Leakee in NXT. The guy was a beast I mean he had a great match with Ricardo Rodirguez of all people and wasn't carried either. His promo's was great as well that is why WWE see's potential in him because who he is related to him or because of his height and weight. Even though that does play a part it isn't the full reason. It isn't only because of looks, it's talent. Only reason he hasn't been that good on the main roster and limited is because that is what he is told to do. Only reason he sounds out of breathe is because he is practically the face of the WWE right now so all the pressure is on him. Only reason why he doesn't show that match passion in his promo's is because if his character. His character is a badass don't give a damn type of guy. It works for him. I know the IWC is a little pissed because it won't be Dean,Seth,Bryan,or Punk (who should be the guy for real.) It doesn't have to be someone from ROH,CZW,or TNA. While their all talented WWE wanted to build someone from the ground up and I dig that. If you seen Roman in NXT the guy was awesome he could brawl, be technical and do a little bit of flying. He also did a few suplexes. But WWE made him go limited. So my answer to the question. Yes! Roman Reigns is already a draw. People tune in to see him, they pay money to see his rise to stardom. They also tune in to see Wyatt as well. That is why WWE pushes guy's like them over Ambrose and Rollins. I could see Ambrose getting a mega push next year as well. 2011 was the year of Punk, 2012 was the year of Ziggler, 2013 was the year of Bryan ,2014 is they year of Reigns and Wyatt ,and 2015 will be the year of Ambrose,Reigns,Rollins. Just give it time I see why they push Reigns first because he will be the top face. Rollins is getting a mega-push right now as well. With Ambrose talent he will definitely be a star and WWE champion by next year.

I'm also sick of hearing that 4 moves of doom crap. Look at this and tell me this isn't talent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbjBhdxZUhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA4Mo3azr8o

What a shock. Reigns has become the breakout of the group and gotten a lot of positive attention both online and on screen.

So now people are coming out and talking badly about him and in some cases how they never liked him in the first place.

And of course there's the obligatory Cena bashing post in this thread too. It took one response to get there.

People are so damn fickle and as soon as something catches on they hate it. It's like that with music too.

Roman is just getting into his groove. Why not give him a chance to settle in?

Plus did you ever stop and consider that maybe they're putting him in team matches to allow him some more time to learn and develop while keeping him relevant on screen?

Who cares if he only has a few moves? Goldberg hardly did anything besides spear and jackhammer when he started out. People were still behind him.

Cut the dude a break.

I think it's dumb to say "so and so deserves a push more than so and so".

What constitutes deserving a push and not?

Reigns is undisputedly the most over of the 3 former Shield guys and has been for some time now. He looks every bit the part. His years in the business mean nothing. Lots of guys have worked 15years in the biz, only worked Indy's, and never got signed. Check out Tyson Dux...he is amazing, but never got a shot on WWE. Does he deserve a WWE push simply cause of his years over Reigns?

People have been citing his moveset. Did Austin have a huge moveset? No, he even admits it himself he only had about 3 offensive moves. But it suited him. Did Hogan have a huge moveset? No. Did The Rock have a huge moveset? No. Do you guys see a trend? It seems the guys who got to the top only did what they needed to do in order to get as over as they did. Some guys, like the smaller guys, need to have 25-30 moves his their arsenal to get over. Clearly guys like Austin, Hogan, Rock, Cena, and now Reigns do not. Reigns is a hell of speciman athletically so I don't doubt that he CAN'T do certain things but if he does EVERYTHING than it makes other guys who may do it BETTER seem less special, if it doesn't drastically enhance Reigns, then why hurt another performer?

All 3 guys are being presented as TOP guys anyway so what difference does it make who gets to the VERY top 1st? Rollins/Ambrose is a better match-up than Reigns/Rollins simply due to style and that a Rollins/Ambrose can be put anywhere on the card (opener, mid, co-main).

IWC will turn on Reigns no doubt about it. Same way IWC turned on Punk midway thru his 400+ day title reign. IWC is always looking for the "next guy". The "right now" is always the enemy cause IWC is just a fancy way to say that there are "hipster wrestling fans".

All in all, no one deserves a push more than anyone else. If you get the reaction you get pushed. Reigns is getting a natural reaction. We the fans turned The Shield babyface. Reigns is the safest bet of the 3 to be a top guy simply based on his look, entrance, etc.

Also, no such thing as getting pushed too fast. If your reaction is loud and consistent, put the guy on top cause it's what the people want.

If Reigns won the title at MITB, it wouldn't have been too soon. It wouldn't have been the most ideal time for him to win it, but it would have made sense.

If Rollins cashed in at MITB and became champion, it wouldn't have been too soon, he's over as hell too.

If you're over its never too soon. All 3 are over, 3 of the most over right now in the company. You make the list of the most over its Cena, Wyatt, Reigns, Ambrose, Rollins, Jericho, HHH/Stephanie, Daniel Bryan, AJ Lee (listen to the crowds when she comes out).

No he doesn't. Ambrose and Rollins are more talented than Reigns is. This is just the latest example of how the bigger guys often get better pushes. It takes more than just being huge to make someone a star. Reigns is extremely talented for a bigger guy, but I find giving someone a world title push just due to him being huge to be boring and stupid. Who care if a guy is huge!? They have to be able to work a good match, be good on the mic (or have a good manager) and make the fans care about them. Roman can work in the ring quite well putting on good matches whether he is a heel or a face. His mic work has improved a lot too. So he is far more entertaining than a lot of larger guys in the federation. I am a fan of his. With that being said, Ambrose and Rollins are both far more gifted both on the mic and in the ring than him. He should not have gotten a better push than them. I saw it coming a long time ago though. In early Shield topics on here when the group was still new, I had predicted Roman Reigns would get to the world title tier first and probably win the World Heavyweight Championship before they do. That remains my prediction. However, I maintain the second half of said prediction. Rollins and Ambrose will end up with more world title runs by the end their careers and see more success than Roman Reigns does in the long run. Only time will tell, but they do deserve better pushes and I still think they will end up more successful in the end.

I kind of feel like people are taking some of my points out of context, or are blowing up smaller points I made.

Yes, guys like Hogan never had an impressive moveset. But that's only part of what makes a wrestler a main eventer. Hogan was always good at telling a story and people tend to remember his successes more than his failures, even during a single match- His match with Andre is remembered as a classic for ONE SINGLE MOVE. The rest of that confrontation kind of sucked. But that moment was enough to make up for it. Can Reigns do the same? I don't know. You don't know. WWE should find out before putting the gold on him.

Austin had an accomplished solo career before he became a contender for the belt. He had proven that he could keep the audience interested in him for an entire match even after his injury. Can Reigns do the same? I don't know.

Everyone who keeps telling me that I need to give Reigns more time and that he had proven himself with the Shield, I'll respond by pointing out that I'd rather be wrong because I do like Reigns. But being a tag team performer isn't the same as being a solo performer. Reigns usually did the least amount of work in the Shield matches, which was fine because once again, he was the climax. It didn't matter that he had 3-4 moves because they were awesome within that context. But that's not going to be enough for singles competition. If he did more in NXT, then they need to start pulling out that shit sooner than later.

Reigns will probably prove himself given enough time, but that's the problem, he has not been given any time. WWE has already thrown him in a contender spot, so what happens if all his singles matches are uninteresting? I simply believe he needs to prove himself in that regard before being considered as a contender.

Admittedly, I think/hope that after Battleground, his feud with Orton will take priority over winning the gold...then Cena will get his feud with Lesnar, who will probably win and feud with someone else while Reigns goes on to fight Triple H. I don't think most of this is even the fault of Reigns. I just think his push for the belt was premature.

I think it's dumb to say "so and so deserves a push more than so and so".

What constitutes deserving a push and not?

From what I gather, some people base it on how much experience they have, how much time they spent toiling away in the Indys.

That segment of the fanbase will always side w/ those guys over the WWE-produced golden boys.

Deserve? no not really, he hasn't done any more work to get where he is then the other 2, but will he? absolutely he has that IT factor atm

the look, the personality and he's like Big Daddy Cool was before he went heel again.

Seth and Ambrose are good in there own right but they don't have that big presence yet.

It's not about "deserving" anything, it's about what's best for business. Reigns is clearly one of the most over wrestlers in the company, so yes, they're doing the right thing by pushing him. Use your brain.

Dean Ambrose is getting great face reactions every show. Is it because of Rollins? No. It is because he is the most dynamic superstar on the roster. The New Anti-Hero has arrived. Everything that is happening with Dean feels organic and not shoved down my throat. Just my opinion. He is the one.

I was a huge fan of the Shield and believed that Reigns would definitely be the man who would go the farthest once they inevitably broke up. Even when he had the least amount to say in promos, you never lost focus of him because he had such an impressive presence. It also helped that he was being booked as the strength of the Shield, whereas Rollins at the time was the heart (or in some cases, the damsel in distress) and Ambrose seemed like he would be the one to turn on them.

Yet I began to change my mind when Reigns suddenly became a contender for the championship. His promos have been inconsistent since going solo (it's never a good sign when fans start chanting 'Cena sucks' when Reigns barely mentioned him), whereas I've enjoyed all the promos from Ambrose and Rollins. Rollins has especially excelled considering I figured he'd immediately be dropped to the midcard once the Shield fell apart since he seemed like the least interesting of the three.

Even worse, his singles matches have kind of sucked. When he was with the Shield, Ambrose and Rollins would carry the bulk of the action while Reigns would deliver the climax. It would be awesome whenever Reigns would spear, Superman punch or do that running kick on an enemy. Yet it's become more apparent that those three seem to be the extent of his arsenal. People complain about Cena for this very reason, yet Reigns seems to have avoided this criticism for whatever reason. You can't carry a match with only three good moves.

The booking hasn't helped things either. After the Shield fell apart and he found himself in the Money in the Bank match, they kept putting him in other team battles. Reigns has already established that he's awesome in those kinds of matches, but shouldn't the WWE focus on building his singles career? That's sort of the most important part of being the WWE champion. Ambrose and Rollins seem to have 1 on 1 matches every week, and they're usually really good, whereas Reigns isn't getting the same singles push...even though he is technically getting the biggest singles push because he keeps getting placed in Championship matches.

So I don't think he deserves to be a contender right now, much less the champ. But with this current storyline, it's a major case of wrestling blue balls for him not to win. His feud with the authority was the biggest story going into Money in the Bank, but Cena- who was being treated as an afterthought in regards to his placement within said story- came out on top? That's just frustrating writing, even though Cena was probably the best decision at that time.

I like Reigns, but I think Rollins and Ambrose deserve the top spot over him. They've proven themselves as capable of carrying matches and they're being booked in the way that Reigns himself should be booked. Reigns should be built up more, although I'd prefer they not go the Rusev route and have him squash the same people over and over again (lol). But am I alone in my opinions? Everyone seems to really like Reigns, so it almost seems like his push has garnered more support than criticism. Obviously we won't know whether this will end in success or failure, but I'm seeing a lot of warning signs.

I will say I do like how Reigns is more of the anti-hero compared to Cena's traditional hero. It's an interesting contrast, if anything.

I think they're doing the right thing with Reigns. I can't really complain. They're slowly but surely pushing him as a singles competitor.

He actually loses matches. He's being put in situations where he can grow like competing in the MITB match earlier this months, backstage promo with Cena, opening segment with Kane.

If he gets booked against HHH as speculated, what better way to establish him. The only way I'd be against his push is if he would have won the title at MITB and he just plowed through everybody except Cena.

Based on WWE's past, I think it's safe to say that Reigns is going to get the largest push out of the three and is going to go the furthest. In my opinion, Ambrose is the most talented of the three. In fact, I would also go as far as to say I would rank them Ambrose, Rollins, and Reigns in terms of overall talent. Ambrose absolutely has the best character and is great in the ring. Rollins and Reigns are good in the ring as well but Rollins isn't as good on the mic as Ambrose, who is a genius on the mic (in my opinion), Reigns however is terrible on the mic. Ambrose has the whole package. Reigns just has the body type that WWE loves so he will get all the love. I want all of them to go far as I feel they are the most interesting guys on the roster at the moment.

They all need to be built up more to be honest.

None of them are currently ready to be main eventers or even the champion, and I suspect the plan IS to continue to build them up. Reigns is rumoured to win the title at WrestleMania, which is still something like 8 months away. Plenty of time to keep building him, especially if he gets big victories over Orton, Triple H, Batista in the upcoming months.

I do agree, I much prefer both Ambrose and Rollins at the moment. Ambrose especially has impressed me and is getting really over. He's becoming a legit "bad ass" babyface that we haven't seen in a long, long time. Rollins as well, I always thought he'd be perfect in a face role, but he's been doing just fine as a heel. He will likely get the title sooner than later (maybe after WM31) due to the briefcase.

I think Reigns needs the bigger push, and it would hurt the other two guys. There have been a lot of guys who have been hurt with getting too much of a push too soon and others (Bryan) who have benefited greatly from a slow burn. Reigns makes logical, realistic sense to come out of no where and start steamrolling people. It may be shallow, but sans Lesnar, he is the most physically imposing guy on the roster. He reminds me of Batista during his first title push. Not great on the mic, but a believable foil to a dominant heel faction.

Rollins is doing a great heel CM Punk impression, which I think is great for him. There aren't currently any heels on the roster with the sniveling shtick, and I think Rollins does it well, which is why it was such a great decision to give him the MitB briefcase which lends itself to cowardly guerrilla tactics.

As for Ambrose, I think they could avoid overcrowding by making him completely disinterested in the title picture. Play up the unstable persona and resulting paranoia as reasons for him to not chase. Instead, book him as an erratic tweener that you can fit in any feud. Gives you flexibility as his persona could realistically invent reasons for going after anyone. In this manner, you could book him incredibly strong since he wouldnt be squeezing anyone out of the title picture. It would also be a fun character to take off TV for a few weeks at a time to have a lot of semi-unexpected run ins.

Based on the types of guys WWE usually pushes that have a certain look, then it is clear Reigns will get the push, and deserves it, based on the usual WWE criteria.

Objectively though, there really isn't a debate. Rollins and Ambrose are clearly better overall performers both in the ring and on the mic. But as someone else said, they have a lot more experience, so that makes sense.

I think the best comparison for Reigns is the super-hyped incoming freshman on the college basketball scene. He has the physical tools you want and passes that initial "eye test" where you know he looks the part. But, as with the incoming freshman, the more you have a chance to see them perform, the more you have the chance to pick them apart. Not saying it isn't warranted though. Watching last night's opening match, Reigns was, in my opinion, horrible. He didn't sell anything (he was almost pulling back from the pin attempt before Kane even kicked out on a couple instances). He was irish-whipped into the corner and almost gingerly turned and lightly leaned back into it. His spear on Kane was with literally no impact. Seems the only move he delivers with any consistency is the Superman Punch, and that is only because it is so fast and depends on the selling more than the delivery.

I have no doubt he will develop into someone that can have good matches in the ring, but if he doesn't improve quickly, the fans will turn on him sooner rather than later when he gets the belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back