• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does being a multiple generation athlete mean you're destined for greatness?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
I had a discussion with my grandfather a few hours ago, discussing Peter Schmeichel and his son Kasper, and the question came up, "Will Kasper ever be able to achieve the level of greatness that Peter did? or anywhere near it?"

And I thought, we've seen multiple branches of sports where a second, or third generation athlete has entered, either made an impact, or absolutely flunked, some has gone on to become much greater than their fathers, (or mothers), and some has gone on to be nothing more than a slightly talented athlete who shares the name of one of the greatest.

It's quite obvious to see for example that Kasper has yet to achieve anything that will put him remotely near the talent that Peter was, having played about a 100 matches, yet has played them all with clubs that never has, or probably ever will achieve international greatness (with the exception of Manchester City, where he only played 7 official matches, he has now for the majority of his international career been in clubs that doesn't have anything remotely international in recognition)

Certainly he plays on the Danish National team, in the youth team, but Peter Schmeichel played for Manchester United, Manchester City and Aston Villa of international recognition, and one of the top teams in Denmark (Brøndby I.F) and is wildly recognized as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

Even in wrestling, there's the chance that someone achieves absolute greatness as opposed to their fathers, or achieves absolutely nothing compared to their fathers, a guy like Randy Orton who exceeded his father by miles, and a guy like Carlito who hasn't achieved anything compared to his father.

So I ask you, do you feel that being a multiple generation athlete automatically spells greatness and potential for you, or does it mean that you're gonna be too compared to your family, and may very well never achieve their levels?

No. Being a multiple generation athlete doesn't mean you'll automatically be destined for greatness. There will be tons of pressure put on the son or daughter of the athlete, and people will expect the person to achieve ridiculous feats.

Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player of all time, has two sons who play college basketball. If either of them ever decide to take a shot at the NBA, the expectations for them to succeed will be VERY high. If either of them manages to win one championship, then people will just say,"Yeah, he won one, but his dad has six. He's got a long way to go before he can be compared to his father". I'm not saying Marcus or Jeffrey will suck if they go to the NBA, but they will always be in the tremendous shadow of their father.

As far as pro wrestling goes, a lot of the success of second or third generation wrestlers has to do with how they are booked. Sometimes the booking won't matter because there are a lot second or third generation wrestlers who can perform at a very high level, have charisma, and are good on the mic.They live up to or surpass the expectations such as The Rock did. Then again, there are certain sons of wrestlers who just plain suck.

I agree with pretty much all Mitch said. That person may have a shoe in for the opportunity to prove themselves, but it doesn't make them destined to greatness.

As I live in NZ, rugby union and rugby league are the two biggest sports here. I can't think of any national legends that have been surpassed by their son/surpassed their father.

Sure there's always the fact that for the most of it a son of a legendary athlete is gonna be very hard to reach the level of, like Michael Jordan, and Peter Schmeichel etc.

But then there's also second or third generation athletes who are sons (or daughters) of a sportsman who wasn't a legendary name of the business, but could very well be considered a great talent, without being the best in the world, a guy like, let's say Kasper Schmeichel (cause I really can't think of anybody right now) has a son, who chooses to become a goalkeeper as well, and let's say Kasper never achieved anything more, never did anything of significance in the world of soccer, wouldn't there be a chance that due to the fact that being a goalkeeper is basically in his blood, wouldn't the chance be that he could achieve greater than his father, but perhaps not as his grandfather?

I don't think it gives you an automatic bid to greatness if you are a 2nd or 3rd gen athlete. Mitch pointed out Jordan and his kids short comings in the sport of basketball but you also have others like Bobby and Brett Hull, Bobby and Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. that both had great careers in their respective sports. So really I don't think it hurts to have a hall of fame parent when you're in little league to help you with the basics but it doesn't exactly equal sucsess. Obviously if your dad was a great athlete you will probably get some of his good genetics but genes aren't everything in sports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back