• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does anyone remember a year where both brands where successful and equal?

So, as you read in the tittle. There has been 9 years since the brand extension I can hardly recall a year where both brands where both successful. By that I mean both brands producing great storylines, having the same ratings, being equal, not just Smackdown the B-Show and RAW the A-show. The only time I can remember somrthing like that was 2004, but the problem with this year is that you had your top guy being in both shows being a heel (JBL & Triple H). Why? Because Eddie & Benoit weren't ready to carry the company. So what was the last year that both brands were equal?

By then parameters you list, I don't think RAW and SD were ever equal. RAW has always been the flagship show, and SD has always been the B show. There may have been a time when the discrepancy between the two was less, but I don't think SD has ever equalled RAW. RAW has always had the better roster and therefore the better story lines. SD has always been pre taped, which has always hurt it's status. I would suggest that both brands are successful, and always have been, but RAW is more successful and always has been.

Uhh, no. Raw has ALWAYS been superior. I'm not talking stupid subjective things about "smackdown is what the real wrestling fans watch" or whatever bullshit.

Raw has always been on superior networks on a better night and because it was huge first, it has always had more name recognition.

What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if objectively have Raw and Smackdown ever been equals or subjectively are there years where we felt that Smackdown was artistically better?

The only time the brands were 'even' was the first year. IMO, I think the roster was pretty well split with big stars and minor ones on both sides. The Rock, Angle, Benoit and Hogan were on Smackdown while Raw had Undertaker, NWO (Hall, Nash and Xpac), Lesner and RVD.
From there, RAW was the dominant roster. However, I think this past year, Smackdown has had better talent on it. With Raw focusing so much on Nexus (the new guys), a lot of veterans were on Smackdown and had better talent.

Id say the initial year of the split 2002 and then the following year 2003, were when the brands were pretty much on the same level of talent. In fact, looking at the roster and the effort put into each show's production for those first two years it was obvious, although it may not have been presented as much, Smackdown was the superior show. For years people have treated and talked about Smackdown as the B-show, but at one point two of the biggest stars in wrestling, Brock Lesnar and Hulk Hogan were exclusive only to that show. Seems crazy all these years later with Raw getting all the love.

I agree with Horseman above me. The Steph/Bischoff rivalry that lasted from 02 to WMXIX was pretty entertaining IMO; both trying to outdo one another by trying to sign the best superstars, and have the best champions and matches.

Seemed like they stopped caring mid 03; WWE got boring to me from then on IMO.

The closest that I can remember is maybe 2008. Raw had some top storylines, The feud between Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels, Jericho winning the World title, Batista and John Cena having their first match against one another, John Cena returning to WWE from injury and winning his first World title, it was a big year for Raw. But Smackdown was also up there with Jeff Hardy and HHHs epic rivalry, The Edge and Vickie saga in full force, Edge and Undertaker's rivalry, Jeff Hardy winning first WWE championship. IMO 2008 was a great year for both Raw and Smackdown, both shows were must watch and very even.

September 2, 2002 to June 6, 2005

I think from a little after Brock Lesnar won his first WWE Championship to a little after John Cena won his first WWE Championship, Smackdown was equal to Raw.

June 23, 2008 to April 13, 2009

Then again from the middle of Triple H’s 7th WWE Title reign (12th overall) towards the end of his 8th WWE Title reign (13th overall), which was also his last, Smackdown again was equal to Raw, in my opinion.

I think having the WWE Title on Smackdown sort of balanced the shows for me. Raw got the live time slot and Smackdown got the “Richest prize in our industry today”. Fair trade off for a couple of years here and there. With the World Title on Smackdown, it just screams the letter B, the number 2, and the words "World Championship Wrestling".

Whether or not SD/RAW are or have been equal storyline/quality wise is subjective. Some people have liked it more than RAW in certain years, but ratings wise here's the breakdown:

2002 RAW 4.01 SD 3.52
2003 RAW 3.76 SD 3.30
2004 RAW 3.67 SD 3.18
2005 RAW 3.81 SD 3.04
2006 RAW 3.90 SD 2.46
2007 RAW 3.61 SD 2.64
2008 RAW 3.27 SD 2.33
2009 RAW 3.57 SD 1.94
2010 RAW 3.28 SD 1.81
2011 RAW 3.29 SD 1.90

They were practically even from 2002-2004. RAW pulled away from 05-08, and the last 3 years have been no contest.

Whether or not SD/RAW are or have been equal storyline/quality wise is subjective. Some people have liked it more than RAW in certain years, but ratings wise here's the breakdown:

2002 RAW 4.01 SD 3.52
2003 RAW 3.76 SD 3.30
2004 RAW 3.67 SD 3.18
2005 RAW 3.81 SD 3.04
2006 RAW 3.90 SD 2.46
2007 RAW 3.61 SD 2.64
2008 RAW 3.27 SD 2.33
2009 RAW 3.57 SD 1.94
2010 RAW 3.28 SD 1.81
2011 RAW 3.29 SD 1.90

They were practically even from 2002-2004. RAW pulled away from 05-08, and the last 3 years have been no contest.
Good job. I love seeing actual numbers to show evidence.

I know it's not really possible, but as time goes on I'd like to see the number of internet views of each show as well. So you can get a better grasp. As we progress further and further I'm guessing the ratings will drop but overall viewership (this is where the net comes into play) will be relatively the same.

Can anyone match up network/night/time changes with the shows and the years? I'm lazy and don't want to try to look them up myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back