• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does AFI Change Too Much?

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
I have been a big AFI fan for a long time. Since Around the time Jade Puget joined the band, I have been listening to the band that started out in skaterpunk, and have now shifted into a major selling Rock band.

Now if you look at their last few albums, none of them have sounded the same. The last two albums I consider to even be the same genre were Black Sails in the Sunset and The Art of Drowning, released over 10 years ago.

After those two albums, the band would shift their music from the previous Horror punk genre, and their more historic skater punk genre. But since their highly acclaimed Sing The Sorrow, the band has not stayed the same since. Sing The Sorrow might just be my favourite album they have ever released. The album was very Post Hardcore, a genre we saw many new bands coming in in those years, (many would probably confuse Post Hardcore with Screamo).

AFI fans had to wait 3 years as the band gained many fans especially off of the song "Silver and Cold" to hear Decemberunderground. Now I consider myself a veteran AFI fan, loving their music from Girls not Grey to Mini Trucks Suck. But this was a new sound, some would even call Emo, although that is sort of silly:). It was a lot more pop sounding and it worked to seel them albums.

Fast forward three years, and my love for AFI had dwindled. I was pretty excited for their new album, but not like I had been for Decemberunderground and Sing The Sorrow. But when I listened to it, it was very different than earlier stuff, but a really nice Rock sound to it, almost similar to the music that is out there at this time, such as Muse.

I really think that AFI shifts their music with the times, and I am glad they do not stay stale, because staleness kills bands. Sometimes I feel sad that I will never hear work similar to their earlier stuff, espically Sing The Sorrow. But if a shift produced music like Crash Love, I cannot complain.

This is gonna come from outta nowhere, but AFI reminds me of Rush in that regard. They reinvent themselves every few years or so.

I wouldn't say they change too much. Would we want them to be AC/DC or Bad Religion; putting out the same records over and over? Yeah, it makes me a little sad once in awhile to know that there won't ever be another Art of Drowning or Answer that and Stay Fashionable, but I do respect them for finding new ways to be relevant and creative beyond the curtains of "punk rock".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back