• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you ever consider the meaning behind everything?

CardiffCam

The Arrogant Assasin
The title says it all- do you ever consider the meaning behind everything?
I mean everything.
Sometimes, I'll be on a trail of tought, and I'll go real deep. As in wonder if any of our actions will ever have any consequences.
Lets say, something like a guy killing himself. To us that seems like a massive thing- the loved ones will grieve, and consider it the end of the world, but eventually theyll pass on and the man will be all but forgotten. Such a huge, bold statement, a huge action, and within a century it means nothing, unless you're famous.
And even older famous people isnt really something that matters. Shakespeare isn't here to enjoy his immense fame. Nor Dickens, nor any other famous person of old times. So whats the point in making a legacy when you can't enjoy it?
So is there some grand scheme? Is everything we do important? Or are we just another brick in the wall, insignificant in the end, and replaceable.

Another thing I wonder, is how this universe was created? Personally, I don't believe in religion, but if you did, where did God come from? Things don't just pop out of nowhere, did he? Something must have created him, and something must have created that etc.

Then if, like me, you believe in the big bang theory, where did this vacuum full of hydrogen molecules come from? Something must have created them, but what created that etc.

It s just too much for the brain to fathom really, and it sends me in a loop when I think about it.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

P.S. No, I'm not emo, its just something I consider.

The title says it all- do you ever consider the meaning behind everything?

Yep. That's what Philosophy is, for me. Questioning the very concepts that make our reality what it is and how we interpret this reality. It's a grand time.

So is there some grand scheme? Is everything we do important? Or are we just another brick in the wall, insignificant in the end, and replaceable.

This question goes into the deeper "What difference do we make to the organism as a whole?" It's a question that is understandable in such a social society as ourselves. Humans are emotional and very social primates. It's why we go crazy if left alone for too long. It's why we often look at the proverbial "Hermit" that lives all by himself in some cave as crazy. We would go crazy by ourselves, so isn't he crazy?

At any rate, my answer is yes, we matter as a whole. But only if you make yourself matter. You have to put yourself forward to make a difference. It doesn't matter if that difference is a cure for AIDS or a few extra dollars to a random homeless man on the side of the road. You've helped your fellow Man, and for that you've made a difference. Whether or not that difference is remembered in a thousand years is irrelevant.

Another thing I wonder, is how this universe was created? Personally, I don't believe in religion, but if you did, where did God come from? Things don't just pop out of nowhere, did he? Something must have created him, and something must have created that etc.

Then if, like me, you believe in the big bang theory, where did this vacuum full of hydrogen molecules come from? Something must have created them, but what created that etc.

I view it from this (probably flawed) idea. Before the Big Bang occurred, the Laws of the Universe were not laid down. No matter if you believed that such Laws were created by God (as I do) or by the very machine of the Universe doesn't matter. Whatever existed before the Big Bang we couldn't possibly fathom, because whatever existed before then would not exist within our realm of possibility. That's why it's so hard to think of how a 2-D world would work, or how a 3-D creature would work without the idea of Time. We're 4-D creatures, so how would we work in a 2-D world? A 5-D world? A 13-D world, as some theoretical physicists argue?

In my basic understanding, whatever existed before the Big Bang was, essentially, beyond our understanding. Go with Einstein and his idea that we call whatever we don't understand God, or not. The only thing that matters is somehow, billions of years ago something happened, and now we're here.

P.S. No, I'm not emo, its just something I consider.

Being emo isn't bad. It's when you start cutting yourself because you think it's emo and it'll get you attention that's the problem.

do you ever consider the meaning behind everything?

Yeah I have, actually. I really enjoy finding a place to sit outside and just ponder over the various mysteries of life and, as you said, "everything".

It's very good for clearing out one's mind, especially if you're stressing out about something.... but it can also lead to feeling many other things such as nostalgia, confusion, worry, happiness, sadness, anger.... any emotion is likely to come out during a time when one sits down and thinks that deeply.

So whats the point in making a legacy when you can't enjoy it?

Sure, what if someone wanted to create something to leave behind for others to enjoy and be inspired by, even though they know that they might be long gone before their creation becomes acknowledged worldwide? It's happened before.

I'm an example of that. For this example let's say that I manage to finish creating a whole series with my video game, Division Blade. I want the story and characters to be an inspiration for younger gamers who resemble my younger self, feeling alone and needing a little motivation to turn their life around. If Dagger, Lara, Kay, or any other heroic figure in my game is able to make a difference to someone (or if the story has inspired any person in any type of way) then I have made the difference I wanted to make.... and if I am not alive to see the results, then that's ok because it's more important to me that in the long run that kind of result is still possible.

Leaving a legacy behind should be about wanting to achieve an end result even if you are not alive by the time you have made that difference in someone's life. That's how I see it.

That depends. You can either choose to make goals to accomplish, or you can choose not to. Those who only talk about their ambitions but never do anything about it, they are "just another brick in the wall".... then there are those that DO something about it and actually try to make a difference, I believe that everything THEY do is important in the grand scheme of things. However, someone who does nothing about any goals can be important too in the sense that they might inspire others to actually go out and try because that person might want to leave behind a legacy and not be forgotten once they are gone.

It s just too much for the brain to fathom really, and it sends me in a loop when I think about it.

Yes, but it's amazing that we as human beings are able to have thoughts this deep in the first place. It shows how powerful the human mind can truly be. We can just sit somewhere, PHYSICALLY doing nothing, but at that same moment could be mentally doing an endless amount of things. After that, it begins to turn into a mix of cheesy and complicated, but words really can't describe these thought patterns and it's so fascinating because no other species (that we know of anyway) is capable of having these types of thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back